Search function?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

fransbos01
x3tc

Search function?

Post by fransbos01 » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 15:56

OK,

As i'm relatively new on this forum, i spent a lot of time reading a lot of threads, searching for answers to questions. Normally i would have used the search function for that, but the option "search" doesn't help a lot and the option "extra search" doesn't function at all (due to extreme server load it says; it seems the server is permanentlyoverloaded as i always get that message).

I fear due to this i have to make new threads on subject already discussed utterly, just because i do not know if there is a thread on a certain subject at all (and if i would know that, how would i find that thread?)

Now i even cannot find back my own thread i wrote only yesterday.

So can anyybody tell me how i can actually effectlively search this forum?

Thanks in advance.

(P.S.: This subject may have been dealt with in other treads before, but as said: i cannot find those treads)

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 16:00

The Extra Search has been disabled, because of high traffic.

To find a post you've previously made, simply click your profile at the bottom of any of your posts, then click "find all posts".
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

MGA
x2

Post by MGA » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 16:32

I'm not angry about it (yet). If only you could show the posts you made in different threads from your profile page. That would be helpful.
A new rig is in my hands now if only there was time...

fransbos01
x3tc

Post by fransbos01 » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 16:34

Thanks ESD; I actually could find back my own posts in that way, but strangely enough i cannot find it back in the forum itself :?

But what if i've been away for some days and cannot find back any of my postings? Whay do i do then? make a dummy new posting just to search my other threads? That would be very improper i suppose...

And is it correct i cannot search on subjects at all? That would be a pity, because it is very time consuming to go through ultimately 800+ pages of threads to find a subject i'm looking for. Due to that it can be expected a lot of threads are started which have been already dealt with and the number of those are therefore unnecesserarily high, so finding a thread about anything will cost even more time.

I do not know the sales figures for X-games, but if there are that many people playing the game so the server overloads in the forum, there also should be sold a lot of copies. Maybe a part of that money could be invested in another server?
Above that, only one forum for more X-games doesn't really help either.

Please do not understand me wrong; Even though i have the game for just a few days, i love it :), especially the total freedom
Due to the complex gameplay I just need more help to get started than other games i played (and i'm no newbe at all in PC games; played a LOT of games since the eighties). A solid search function would help a lot.

btw: It now says moved in the title of this posting: Whay does that mean exactly?

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 16:38

Maybe a part of that money could be invested in another server?
Probably already happening, but that does take time.
btw: It now says moved in the title of this posting: Whay does that mean exactly?
It means you posted it in the X-Universe forum, and as this has nothing to do with the game directly, I moved it to the Off Topic forum.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Mr. K
x3tc

Post by Mr. K » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 16:40

esd wrote:The Extra Search has been disabled, because of high traffic.
Oh the irony..

When it works and someone repeats a question for the Nth time, they're politely told to use the search in future.

Now that people want to use the search instead of repeat posting, they cant because the server cant handle it.

Sorry.. I couldn't help myself.

fransbos01
x3tc

Post by fransbos01 » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 16:46

Maybe it is an idea to include the "find all post by..." function if i click "profile" on the right of the page? That way it at least would be a lot easier to find answers to my own questions...

That should be relatively easy to implement i suppose?

thrangar
x4

Post by thrangar » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 17:34

esd wrote:The Extra Search has been disabled, because of high traffic.

To find a post you've previously made, simply click your profile at the bottom of any of your posts, then click "find all posts".
:o :headbang:

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 17:37

OK, if you can't find any of your own posts then just click in your name in "Who Is Online" box.

fransbos01
x3tc

Post by fransbos01 » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 17:55

That was an answer i was waiting for. Thank you.

Still would like to search on subjects/keywords though....

octessence
x3tc

Post by octessence » Fri, 11. Nov 05, 10:58

I search directly from google. Just add site:egosoft.com in the search bar to limit searches to this site. Not a perfect solution but it works.

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Fri, 11. Nov 05, 13:52

It is a shame but at least this way you can find some answers. Before they disabled the search for the X2 release the forum was unusable.

You could shelve X3 for a couple of weeks and come back when the forum is a little quieter and the search has been re-enabled.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

fransbos01
x3tc

Post by fransbos01 » Fri, 11. Nov 05, 20:47

Nah...

I wouldn't do that; i wanna play the game!

SpatryX
x3

Extra Search

Post by SpatryX » Sun, 13. Nov 05, 12:16

I would appreciate it if you guys can get the EXTRA SEARCH option working again.... this really sucks having to manually sort through over 850 pages to find the information I am looking for!
[ external image ]

Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have constructed.... The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the FORCE! -Darth Vader

Zwer.ch
xr

Post by Zwer.ch » Sun, 13. Nov 05, 12:32

me too :roll:

Tw122le
x3ap

Post by Tw122le » Sun, 13. Nov 05, 12:41

You could try googling
site:forum.egosoft.com then your keywords
X3 GOTY, X2 v1.4 + 1.03.03. X-BTF & X-Tension 2.1a.
X2 Guides courtesy of Nilof:Click Here
I only play the games, not make the rules.

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Sun, 13. Nov 05, 12:43

The Extra Search puts a huge load on an already stretched server (Which has already been upgrade for X3) so it will remain unavailable for the time being.
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

Zwer.ch
xr

Post by Zwer.ch » Sun, 13. Nov 05, 13:21

why not setup a second engine?

X-it
x3

Post by X-it » Sun, 13. Nov 05, 14:07

Well at least it's a refreshing 'feature' not to be able to search. Most other forums have stickies where they say 'DO A SEARCH FIRST!', and if some poor soul misses this and posts a thread asking for something already discussed, he or she is almost banned (or at least yelled at) for not searching.

I can't understand how it can save bandwidth to have the same questions asked over and over again instead of doing a search, though...?

Then again, releasing a game that worked properly would probably be the best way to decrease server bandwidth... :wink:
ASUS A8R32-MVP DELUXE
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.2 Ghz
OCZ 2048MB Dual Channel Platinum Edition RAM
WD Raptor X 150GB SATA 16MB 10000RPM
Radeon X1900XTX 512MB PCIe 16x
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Lian Li Miditower PC6070BSCAND w/Hiper R580W PSU
Win XP Pro SP2 w/MS dual-core CPU hotfix

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 14. Nov 05, 12:47

Zwer.ch wrote:why not setup a second engine?
The site is already split over multiple servers.
X-it wrote:I can't understand how it can save bandwidth to have the same questions asked over and over again instead of doing a search, though...?
For clarity, network bandwidth is not the issue. To answer this, though, storing a new post takes a negligible amount of processing power compared to searching through well over a million posts for ones that match particular search criteria.

Return to “Off Topic English”