Anyone know this film? - Resolved.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

matthewfarmery
x3

Anyone know this film? - Resolved.

Post by matthewfarmery » Fri, 2. Dec 22, 13:37

I am trying to remember an fairly oldish film, (think 1990's or 2000, but not exactly sure.) the story is about a alternative America that still (if I remember) stuck in the 50's or 60's, and everyone is meant to wear a device that makes them dumb. (they have it on their heads if I remember) I think the star of the film was either in late school or collage, but can't remember exactly, as its been a long time since I watched the film. This young man was very bright, even with the device (bright is bad, dumb is good)

And there was a meeting with the college / school with his parents, and surgery was the only option, as the techs have tried to modify the device that the young man wears, but it doesn't do much good, as he is too smart. However, the young man doesn't go into surgery, instead he wakes up in a house, or a building, and little later he finds out that everything that other Americans watch, is monitored and controlled by a secret organisation. They are the ones in charge. And he is given a chance to become one of them, and there he meets a young lady who is I think falls in love with, (her father is the one in charge I think)

However, the young man isn't keen on this idea, or the whole concept of a secret group controlling peoples thoughts and actions. So he tries to do something about it. He manages to gain access to the TV network control room, (might have been radio but can't remember) and asks everyone to remove their devices and he plays classics and other stuff that hasn't been heard for some time. But he only has a limited about of time, the door gets broken down, and the transmission ends.

The end of the film shows him shooting himself on live TV, as he was made to say sorry and everything was a hoax, he couldn't do that.

The very end of the film, you see the same young lady stopping to hear his voice (she did get surgery on her brain) and a small group of young teens with the tape of the young man's 3 hour or so broadcast.

Does anyone reckonise this film? Tried to remember as much as possible, I think it would be a bit of a scifi film of sorts, But would like to watch it again, if anyone can name me this film, as it was pretty good.

Hope someone can help, thanks in advance.
=

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Anyone know this film?

Post by CBJ » Fri, 2. Dec 22, 14:02

Your description sounds like a cross between Logan's Run (1977) and Equilibrium (2002). I've not seen the latter, but the plot description on IMDB sounds similar to yours in a number of ways.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Fri, 2. Dec 22, 14:14

It's neither of those, logan's run was about a sandman (Micheal York) who had to run to find people who were trying to flee the city, as the city enforced a time limit on their life) I looked up Equilibrium, I don't think it was that. As that was supressing emotions, not the IQ.

Not bad guesses mind, the first one is a good film, if you like that kind of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raleKODYeg0

Not that film, I have seen that one, its not bad either, but not that one I'm trying to think of. could be a long shot on finding the name of it.

I did a search for dystopian films, and came up with the answer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Bergeron_(film)

Harrison Bergeron

that is the film I'm thinking of, was pretty good as well.

Edit, the film seems very hard to find, I got a link to the full movie, (youtube) but seems impossible to get legally any other way. It was made in 1995. so my guess was on the mark. worth watching if you got time.
=

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 2. Dec 22, 15:09

matthewfarmery wrote:
Fri, 2. Dec 22, 14:14
...the film seems very hard to find...
TV movies often are.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Fri, 2. Dec 22, 15:20

matthewfarmery wrote:
Fri, 2. Dec 22, 14:14

Edit, the film seems very hard to find, I got a link to the full movie, (youtube) but seems impossible to get legally any other way. It was made in 1995. so my guess was on the mark. worth watching if you got time.
Not impossible - just a bit awkward from Australia.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154940946790 ... media=COPY
A flower?

Return to “Off Topic English”