Coronavirus: COVID-19

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pjknibbs
Posts: 28856
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31
x4

Re: Coronavirus: COVID-19

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 22. May 20, 07:11

It's a bank holiday weekend, it'll probably be worse then! Idiots all.

Rug
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri, 21. Nov 03, 15:14
x4

Re: Coronavirus: COVID-19

Post by Rug » Fri, 22. May 20, 09:04

But compare the headline photo (looking along the beach) with the overhead one from the police drone...

The police photo does show spacing, which is impossible to tell from the beach level one.

Also, please bear in mind that it is much less likely that you will be exposed to a sufficient degree outside from airborne transmission. If all these people are pushing open the same gate to get to the beach, or sharing handrails on stairs, that would be an issue. As earlier observed, it is on public transport and in the offices that much of the problem lies. Not out in the fresh (and cleanish) air.

Rug
I like to think everyone just wants to feel human.

(Antilogic)

User avatar
TSM
Not a Moderator
Posts: 1771
Joined: Thu, 1. Jul 04, 12:31
x4

Re: Coronavirus: COVID-19

Post by TSM » Fri, 22. May 20, 11:43

felter wrote:
Fri, 22. May 20, 01:04
Look at the picture and tell me is that what we call social distancing and not a face mask to be seen anywhere.

What really annoys me is that I'm stuck at home, I can't even go out for a stroll around the block not just that I have heard a rumour that I may be told I have to do this for at least a year, certainly until it is deemed safe for me to leave my house and these A-HOLES head of to the friggin beach to mingle and spread the virus amongst themselves, making sure it is a year before I can go out and play. I'm just really pissed off and you know who I blame, it's that idiot Johnson and his cronies, it all falls squarely at their feet, it's all their doing as they are just making a mess of things again. :rant:
Totally agree to many people taking the wee wee on this and they are in most cases also the ones clapping for the NHS, its a race to see what will kill the most stupidity or corvid.
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
Posts: 38739
Joined: Tue, 29. Apr 03, 00:56
x4

Re: Coronavirus: COVID-19

Post by CBJ » Fri, 22. May 20, 12:21

felter wrote:
Fri, 22. May 20, 01:04
Look at the picture and tell me is that what we call social distancing and not a face mask to be seen anywhere.
I totally agree that some people are being very silly at the moment, but just to reiterate what Rug said, the press is doing its usual job of sensationalising things here. Take a look at this comparison. Yes, different country, different situation, but it's the same trick of using perspective and a long lens to exaggerate the situation. I'm disappointed that the BBC has used this technique in one of their articles, because they are usually a bit better than most news sources about giving more balanced reports.

User avatar
Masterbagger
Posts: 390
Joined: Tue, 14. Oct 14, 00:49
x4

Re: Coronavirus: COVID-19

Post by Masterbagger » Sat, 23. May 20, 03:39

I dropped by a walmart this week to replace a rug and get a chicken for lunch during work hours so early afternoon time frame. No crowds. A month ago the stores were packed during the work day from day shoppers who weren't going to their jobs. Not the case now. I also had a cancellation a different day so I had time for a nice lunch. It was good to sit down and eat something hearty inside a restaurant. The roads are busy and rush hour is a thing again. The police are out in force conducting traffic stops for revenue purposes now that they aren't afraid to accost motorists. People who are obviously out of practice driving are on the roads. We have a major holiday coming Monday and we are not even considering putting the celebrations on hold. What I see is normalcy creeping back into our lives. It's not over yet when there will be appeals to hysteria to keep the shutdowns going, wringing of hands, gnashing of teeth and emotional arguments. It's a good start though.
Who made that man a gunner?

Rug
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri, 21. Nov 03, 15:14
x4

Re: Coronavirus: COVID-19

Post by Rug » Sat, 23. May 20, 10:52

Yes, it's clearly time to get out and mingle now that the new cases are down to just 24k a day, and the deaths are barely even reaching 1200 a day now...

But as long as you can eat a hearty meal in a restaurant then who gives a hoot about those other people...
I like to think everyone just wants to feel human.

(Antilogic)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
Posts: 38739
Joined: Tue, 29. Apr 03, 00:56
x4

Re: Coronavirus: COVID-19

Post by CBJ » Sat, 23. May 20, 11:12

Lord Farquaad wrote:Some of you may die, but it's a sacrifice I am willing to make.

Vertigo 7
Posts: 1139
Joined: Fri, 14. Jan 11, 18:30
x4

Re: Coronavirus: COVID-19

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sat, 23. May 20, 17:19

CBJ wrote:
Sat, 23. May 20, 11:12
Lord Farquaad wrote:Some of you may die, but it's a sacrifice I am willing to make.
You know... dear leader said the exact same thing a few weeks ago. Now it all makes sense. He learned how to be a president by studying cartoon villains!
In my work with the defendants (at the Nuremberg Trials 1945-1949) I was searching for the nature of evil and I now think I have come close to defining it. A lack of empathy. It’s the one characteristic that connects all the defendants, a genuine incapacity to feel with their fellow men.

Evil, I think, is the absence of empathy.
Captain Gustave M. Gilbert

User avatar
fiksal
Posts: 3683
Joined: Tue, 2. May 06, 17:05
x4

Re: Coronavirus: COVID-19

Post by fiksal » Sat, 23. May 20, 17:32

CBJ wrote:
Sat, 23. May 20, 11:12
Lord Farquaad wrote:Some of you may die, but it's a sacrifice I am willing to make.
Liking

a relevant message that will not be heard by Republicans, I am sure, especially the Trump cult,
but an important one considering the party. And it is still somehow up for a discussion in US.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... gum-masks/
As states across the country have gradually pushed forward with reopening in recent weeks, protesters representing a small but apparently growing movement — especially within the Republican Party — have continued to push for it to go faster. And one very visible thing has somehow turned into a perceived political statement: wearing a mask.
...
Across the border in North Dakota, though, GOP Gov. Doug Burgum on Friday offered a plea to stop the madness.
...
“I would really love to see in North Dakota that we could just skip this thing that other parts of the nation are going through where they’re trading a divide — either it’s ideological or political or something — around masks versus no mask,” Burgum said. “This is a, I would say, senseless dividing line, and I would ask people to try to dial up your empathy and your understanding.”
...
“If someone is wearing a mask, they’re not doing it to represent what political party they’re in or what candidates they support,” Burgum said, before his voice began breaking. “They might be doing it because they’ve got a 5-year-old child who’s been going through cancer treatments. They might have vulnerable adults in their life who currently have covid, and they’re fighting.”
...
To be clear, the number of people protesting the wearing of masks is small. Scenes like the one in Minnesota are the exception, rather than the rule. But there are myriad images of people reemerging in society and, in doing so, declining to wear masks, even as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention continue to recommend them.
Lord Farquaad wrote:Some of you may die, but it's a sacrifice I am willing to make.

RegisterMe
Posts: 1650
Joined: Sun, 14. Oct 07, 17:47
x4

Re: Coronavirus: COVID-19

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 23. May 20, 19:54

I think I approve of Gov. Dough Burgun.
Gavrushka wrote:The problem with 'freedom of speech' is it makes wackos think they have something of value to say.

*WE WANT THE amtct BACK*
Rapier's search

RegisterMe
Posts: 1650
Joined: Sun, 14. Oct 07, 17:47
x4

Re: Coronavirus: COVID-19

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 23. May 20, 19:55

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sat, 23. May 20, 17:19
He learned how to be a president by studying cartoon villains!
Nah, he failed at that too.
Gavrushka wrote:The problem with 'freedom of speech' is it makes wackos think they have something of value to say.

*WE WANT THE amtct BACK*
Rapier's search

Mightysword
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed, 10. Mar 04, 06:11
x3tc

Re: Coronavirus: COVID-19

Post by Mightysword » Sun, 24. May 20, 02:42

Here is one contradiction with the red-blue narrative:

- If you see protest in a state: that means the 'government' is not easing the restriction fast enough to the taste of the population.
- If a government does ease it out fast enough, than you wouldn't see any protest, because obviously there isn't counter protest of opening too soon.

So either scenario it's one player doing, which throws the red-blue out of the window. Rather, it's just opportunist snapshots carefully selected with sensational editorialized to push a narrative. For example, Florida beach is one thing because it's red. But last month when Cali was still in hard lock-down, the government re-open the beaches for 'exercising with social distance'. The next day the whole area got flooded like prime time carnival, so the government re-order for it to be closed again. And guess what, the day after that people were out protesting against it. Yeah, it wasn't for some grandeur reason like the economy or freedom ...etc... I simply need to get to me beach! And that's California, the blue capital. Source: local - my whole dad side of the family live in the Longbeach area. Needless to say they thought the whole things were pretty stupid.


As just with the mask thing. I think my community had pretty much masked up since early Feb, while WHO, health official and media stations were telling people how it will not help. Tbh I was kinda slow on it, and didn't mask up until the health advise changed in later April, but I could tell going into an Asian market with me the only one not wearing it in march, no one said anything but I know I were getting weird stare. In fact, it's my Dad who got his mask first when he showed up unmask to a liquor store ran by an old Asian couples, they gave him a spare! :rofl:

I don't understand the logic of people getting confrontational about wearing it. Even if the benefit is dubious, not like it costs them anything to do. (hyperbole mode on) I feel if you want to kill off a certain population of American, you can just make a law like "poison is dangerous, you must not drink them" or "you must not jump out of the window because it can kill you", and it will trigger some Americans enough that they will do exactly those while yelling "FREEDOOM"! What's the word for it again? Anarchist, non-comformist? 'Cause it's sure as well ain't patriot. :gruebel: (/hyperbole mode off).

But then again, a store serves thousands of people per day, and ten of thousands in a week, but the one idiot who makes a fuss (probably just for FB's like) is the one we will see on the news 'representing American'. ;)
To be clear, the number of people protesting the wearing of masks is small. Scenes like the one in Minnesota are the exception, rather than the rule. But there are myriad images of people reemerging in society and, in doing so, declining to wear masks, even as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention continue to recommend them.
To put this idea in practice, just like what I suggest earlier couple months ago about cutting off or distancing one self from social media and sensationalized news source. I've been to a few public places both Asian and Non-Asian stores, and pretty much all I see are reasonable, sensible people obeying the rules like they should. In another word, without being 'informed' by these instances through the news, I think it's much better for my sanity. :)
Politic has it place, and not everyone want to wrap their world around it. Please give non-political discussion due respect per the original spirit of the discussion.

User avatar
Masterbagger
Posts: 390
Joined: Tue, 14. Oct 14, 00:49
x4

Re: Coronavirus: COVID-19

Post by Masterbagger » Sun, 24. May 20, 04:16

Masks are most effective at making people feel safe. People not wearing masks shatter that feeling of safety. So we have conflict. Whether the safety is real or imagined is irrelevant. Fears and feelings are the currency used to attempt to dictate the actions of others.
Who made that man a gunner?

Vertigo 7
Posts: 1139
Joined: Fri, 14. Jan 11, 18:30
x4

Re: Coronavirus: COVID-19

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 24. May 20, 04:18

Mightysword wrote:
Sun, 24. May 20, 02:42
Here is one contradiction with the red-blue narrative:

- If you see protest in a state: that means the 'government' is not easing the restriction fast enough to the taste of the population.
- If a government does ease it out fast enough, than you wouldn't see any protest, because obviously there isn't counter protest of opening too soon.

So either scenario it's one player doing, which throws the red-blue out of the window. Rather, it's just opportunist snapshots carefully selected with sensational editorialized to push a narrative. For example, Florida beach is one thing because it's red. But last month when Cali was still in hard lock-down, the government re-open the beaches for 'exercising with social distance'. The next day the whole area got flooded like prime time carnival, so the government re-order for it to be closed again. And guess what, the day after that people were out protesting against it. Yeah, it wasn't for some grandeur reason like the economy or freedom ...etc... I simply need to get to me beach! And that's California, the blue capital. Source: local - my whole dad side of the family live in the Longbeach area. Needless to say they thought the whole things were pretty stupid.


As just with the mask thing. I think my community had pretty much masked up since early Feb, while WHO, health official and media stations were telling people how it will not help. Tbh I was kinda slow on it, and didn't mask up until the health advise changed in later April, but I could tell going into an Asian market with me the only one not wearing it in march, no one said anything but I know I were getting weird stare. In fact, it's my Dad who got his mask first when he showed up unmask to a liquor store ran by an old Asian couples, they gave him a spare! :rofl:

I don't understand the logic of people getting confrontational about wearing it. Even if the benefit is dubious, not like it costs them anything to do. (hyperbole mode on) I feel if you want to kill off a certain population of American, you can just make a law like "poison is dangerous, you must not drink them" or "you must not jump out of the window because it can kill you", and it will trigger some Americans enough that they will do exactly those while yelling "FREEDOOM"! What's the word for it again? Anarchist, non-comformist? 'Cause it's sure as well ain't patriot. :gruebel: (/hyperbole mode off).

But then again, a store serves thousands of people per day, and ten of thousands in a week, but the one idiot who makes a fuss (probably just for FB's like) is the one we will see on the news 'representing American'. ;)
To be clear, the number of people protesting the wearing of masks is small. Scenes like the one in Minnesota are the exception, rather than the rule. But there are myriad images of people reemerging in society and, in doing so, declining to wear masks, even as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention continue to recommend them.
To put this idea in practice, just like what I suggest earlier couple months ago about cutting off or distancing one self from social media and sensationalized news source. I've been to a few public places both Asian and Non-Asian stores, and pretty much all I see are reasonable, sensible people obeying the rules like they should. In another word, without being 'informed' by these instances through the news, I think it's much better for my sanity. :)
You're wrong on a couple of points. 1, the protests against the lockdowns are being held by a very small portion of the population and do not represent the will of the American people. And 2, the reason you aren't seeing counter protests are because those that *would* be in that group have a bit more common sense than their counter parts and aren't willing to endanger themselves or others and aren't all consumed by selfish desires. In other words, they're staying home and not contributing a public health crisis.

You don't see people that are prioritizing safety over stupidity levying death threats against government officials from either side of the fence. And while the opposite is certainly true, as disgusting as their behavior is, reporting on it is hardly 'sensational'. Orange lemmings harassing and attacking reporters and being praised for it by their overlord, again disgusting behavior, but reporting on it doesn't make it 'sensational'. What it does do is inform the public of the danger they may find themselves in at the hands of Trump and his hillbilly attack dogs. Hell, you're Asian, surely you're aware of the uptick in harassment and assaults Asians have been faced with since the Covid outbreak in the US. If you saw a gaggle of fat bearded armed white guys in walmart camo's marching through your neighborhood, wouldn't you feel a tinge of panic? The message is clear. Trump doesn't care about your life, or anyones for that matter. And anyone who disagrees is a target for harassment or worse and they'll get nothing but praise out of Lord Orangeus Fatteus.
In my work with the defendants (at the Nuremberg Trials 1945-1949) I was searching for the nature of evil and I now think I have come close to defining it. A lack of empathy. It’s the one characteristic that connects all the defendants, a genuine incapacity to feel with their fellow men.

Evil, I think, is the absence of empathy.
Captain Gustave M. Gilbert

Mightysword
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed, 10. Mar 04, 06:11
x3tc

Re: Coronavirus: COVID-19

Post by Mightysword » Sun, 24. May 20, 04:40

Masterbagger wrote:
Sun, 24. May 20, 04:16
Masks are most effective at making people feel safe. People not wearing masks shatter that feeling of safety. So we have conflict. Whether the safety is real or imagined is irrelevant. Fears and feelings are the currency used to attempt to dictate the actions of others.
And that's exactly my point, why even try to make it into such an argument? When I run into old Asian people at King Sooper in February, they already masked up. At that point no one told them to, in fact quite the opposite, everyone were told NOT to wear mask at that time and they were probably looked upon weirdly by others. Hell it didn't know wearing Mask is such stigma in the west until now (if you believe the media that is, I'm not informed enough to determine if this is actually a stigma or just overhyped sensational internet memes). By March pretty much every asian I came across wear mask, and again that was before there was even a recommendation to do so from any official source. To use that's just common sense, and who know if it helps or not, but it can't hurt.

It doesn't have to be 'twisted' into some kind of fear and control narrative, if anything THAT sounds far more paranoid than the act of wearing mask itself. Given how often you see I came out fighting against that very thing I hope it meant something to you. There is rational thinking about thing objectively, and there is just take everything in the worst possible interpretation. While I don't agree with the easing down social distancing, like I said I can at least understand and try to give people the benefit of the doubt. But to the few douches who confront store clerks over wearing mask rule, that's just stupid. The only rational I can come up with for those people are they're just pretending to be some kind of freedom fighter for social media fame given how well they often self-documented themselves in the act. :roll:

Tell you what, I would have far more respect for a person who just flat out say "I don't wear mask because I simply don't like and believe it doesn't help" over someone who tries to pretend they're doing that for some higher reason.
Politic has it place, and not everyone want to wrap their world around it. Please give non-political discussion due respect per the original spirit of the discussion.

Post Reply

Return to “Off Topic English”