[SCRIPT] Comm Chatter Missions v1.1 Jan 23

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

moonknight007au
xr

Post by moonknight007au » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 06:17

Its it actually possible to link to 3rd party sound files using just the script editor or would it require a mod?

AalaarDB
x3tc

Post by AalaarDB » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 08:15

I did a little bit of sound through scripts in X2, but I can't remember if that was possible with or without a mod. Either way, if it can happen I'm sure someone else will add sound to their comms, and that's wonderful, just what it needs. I however am sticking to text, it's easier, and I have a lot to do.

AdmiralTigerclaw
x4

Post by AdmiralTigerclaw » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 08:45

bendyspex wrote:That would be great if it was an audio message, especially after listening to those clips. Maybe without the music though, as that ruins the immersion a bit.
Well, those were cinema sequences. And had dramatic music.

Quote... other things... never mind quoting.

Anyway, to connect sound to a script is easy.

Put a numbered sound in the S folder... ensuring you don't duplicate an existing sound. Then you call this sound VIA the script editor under the command 'play sample'.

EVENT trigger
play sample [10005]
wait X ms

...would be an example.

Once you trigger the sound, you must know its length so that if you have a series of overlapping statements, such as 'Target at [distance of let's say, 37] kilometers' It would play the sound samples...

play sample "Target at"
wait 500 ms
play sample "thirty"
wait 200 ms
play sample "seven"
wait 200 ms
play sample "kilometers."
wait 500 ms

For a more complex number... you need the ones and tens broken down, and then hundred and thousand.

For example '100,332' or One-hundred thousand, three hundred and thirty-two would break down like the following...
1, hundred, thousand, 3, hundred, 30, 2

Essentially, every dicision has to have a few sounds. For complex codes, there would be a sound for every choice for every variable. Such as a sound that would dynamicly inform you as to the range and direction of the nearest enemy.

You need a full range of numbers that can dynamicly alter with the ones, tens, hundreds, thousands, as well as the phrases that are spoken around it. A code complex enough to actually feel like you're immersed in the sound environment, would require hundreds of short phrases, timed and spoken in such a way that you could puzzle piece them together.

Creating dynamic verbal chatter in a game really makes you appreciate just how complex human speach patterns are.

The only problem with sound work in X2, was that the sound banks had a weirdness factor.
Only certain number ranges worked as if they were slotted somewhere, when it would have been easier to just make the sound bank calls a large variable instead. Then I bet we could have free run of sound editing.

I hope X3s soundbank capability is superior.

RaGodofTehSun
x3

Post by RaGodofTehSun » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 08:59

Tiger check your messages :P and if you ever need another voice i am more than willing to help ya out *is a singer in a local band* :D

Dgn Master
x3tc

Post by Dgn Master » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 09:17

bob hope wrote: its funny the amount of people who dont realise that the princess menaleus drug and booze run was originally given you when flying out of a jumpgate, you were commed and asked if you could get x amount of drugs and booze to the trade station in K.E. and there you would be payed in kind
Oh i remember this vividly, but in X-T when you got a missions you would get a big bloody box right in your face that wouldn't let you stear you ship.

I also remember how i got called once and ran right into a wheat farm! :evil:
Could the parents of the little Argon girl, Suzie, please claim her sealed jar of remains?
She didn't mind the gap and ended up vapourized!

AalaarDB
x3tc

Post by AalaarDB » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 10:59

dgn master wrote:Oh i remember this vividly, but in X-T when you got a missions you would get a big bloody box right in your face that wouldn't let you stear you ship.
I also remember how i got called once and ran right into a wheat farm! :evil:
Don't worry, I've considered this. You can turn on or off "pop ups". That is, when there is something on the comms it will either be displayed on screen or sent to the logbook. And nothing will ever be sent to you unless you are "monitoring" the comm channels. There are a bunch of features like this to make this a fun and non-intrusive mod. For instance, I just got done writing most (oh about 150 more to go) of the chatter that is played when there is nothing better. I think people are gonna like it; I even bet you'll listen just to hear the "chatter". And with 500 of them you'll never get bored, unlike with the BBS news.

bendyspex
x3

Post by bendyspex » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 17:26

This sounds great, will there be other ships talking between each other? Such as, if someone asks for help, will another ship then have the choice of responding to it, rather than just you? That would then truly be an amazing mod.
Keep up the good work!

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 17:49

aalaardb this is a script not a mod right?

AdmiralTigerclaw
x4

Post by AdmiralTigerclaw » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 20:28

Send the scripts and I can see about creating chatter files.

AalaarDB
x3tc

Post by AalaarDB » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 22:23

This is a script, but it will change the way the game is played so much it's more of a mod, as in modification.

AdmiralTigerclaw: you have a deal. I know exactly where you can get them too.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 23:42

Yeah, I asked for a specific reason, because I was curious if it would have to be used as a mod rather then a script, which would mean I couldn't use lets say my personal mod I am working on.

AdmiralTigerclaw
x4

Post by AdmiralTigerclaw » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 07:25

Well, let me clear this up.

This would be classified as a heavy script. It would of course, incorporate it's own text or sound files (depending on how it is produced.)... however it would not alter gameplay dynamics, universe design, or anything involving either the Tfiles or the stuff stored in the cat/dat files.

A mod would alter stuff pretty much locked away in the cat/dat files.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 17:44

Yeah, I knew that the only reason why I asked was because someone had mentioned mod, I just wanted clarification that this was a script, not a mod.

bendyspex
x3

Post by bendyspex » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 18:00

Sorry, I called it a mod, but I'm wrong. It is a big script though and it adds so much to the game, it is just as good as a mod.
Hope that helps

AalaarDB
x3tc

Post by AalaarDB » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 23:34

NM, production resumed.

AalaarDB
x3tc

Post by AalaarDB » Fri, 9. Dec 05, 02:15

Bump for release, it's been on page 6.
Missions coming soon!

Simon029
x4

Post by Simon029 » Fri, 9. Dec 05, 09:08

aalaardb wrote: Don't worry, I've considered this. You can turn on or off "pop ups". That is, when there is something on the comms it will either be displayed on screen or sent to the logbook. And nothing will ever be sent to you unless you are "monitoring" the comm channels. There are a bunch of features like this to make this a fun and non-intrusive mod. For instance, I just got done writing most (oh about 150 more to go) of the chatter that is played when there is nothing better. I think people are gonna like it; I even bet you'll listen just to hear the "chatter". And with 500 of them you'll never get bored, unlike with the BBS news.
I have an idea for you script. I thought having audio chats would be great. But all 500 messages spoken by a few different persones would be boring. So i think it would be a great idea if each message or dialog will be spoken by a different person out there.
You could post the massages in here and the people from the forum that like to, record the text with theire microphones and send it to you.
It would be a lot of work, but it would be very cool.

AalaarDB
x3tc

Post by AalaarDB » Fri, 9. Dec 05, 09:40

For those curious, most of the text was taken from IMDB Arrested Development

The amount of quotes has fluctuated wildly, currently there are 435. I plan on adding more but with 435 already there and no missions that's not a high priority.

After I had copy, pasted, and formatted, which took about a day (twice, due to harddrive) I then went about correcting the text. Some of the quotes are horribly innaccurate, misspelled, whatever. I also added some from new episodes, etc. Unfortunately I have not had time to redo this part of it, so there are alot of mistakes.

No, no one will be speaking this text. If it ever does get converted to audio, it will be taken directly from the episodes. However, 435 10+ second audio clip could be a huge download.

Simon029
x4

Post by Simon029 » Fri, 9. Dec 05, 10:05

aalaardb wrote:However, 435 10+ second audio clip could be a huge download.
around 100MB in mp3 quality.

Oh, did not know that it allready exists in audio.

Malakie
x4

Lockup

Post by Malakie » Sat, 10. Dec 05, 06:22

Hi:

I have installed all the ALPlugins & scripts listed on the sticky index at the beginning of this forum EXCEPT for mods the which I do not use. I am using the normal storyline campaign.

Everything works great.

Last night I installed your new comm chatter system and it locked up everything!

Removing it fixed it so I tried again with same result. I have tried using a current game as well as starting a new one with same results.

Any ideas?

Malakie

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”