Exscriptor - new external script editor

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Whimsy
x3tc

Post by Whimsy » Mon, 28. Jul 08, 01:19

Blacky_BPG wrote:And what I said? -> If it running fine... -->> [And its running fine.] :thumb_up: Image :thumb_up:
For now, at least! Thanks very much by the way, you've been a great help in fixing these bugs! :)

Erilaz
x4

Post by Erilaz » Mon, 28. Jul 08, 01:25

Thanks, sounds brilliant Whimsy. Definitely going to give this a whirl during the week.

Best news (the cherry on top), would be if you have similar intensions for X3-TC.

Blacky_BPG
x4

Post by Blacky_BPG » Mon, 28. Jul 08, 04:46

Yeah, for now, but when I found an error I report it immediately :P

I know that even. I also program a little bit. The tool for the XSP-database was more than 4 weeks in version 2 and nobody asked me about an error. Until someone has dared ... now I am at 2.2.0.3.
Unknown author wrote:I can live with criticism, negative as positive. But nothing is worse than that nobody says something about my work.

I hope that I translated the quote correct

Whimsy
x3tc

Post by Whimsy » Mon, 28. Jul 08, 18:49

Erilaz wrote:Best news (the cherry on top), would be if you have similar intensions for X3-TC.
That depends on how much changes. But given that the files and scripting engine didn't change much from X2 to X3, hopefully it will only take a few minor modifications for Exscriptor to work with X3TC.
Blacky_BPG wrote:Yeah, for now, but when I found an error I report it immediately :P
True - I prefer to know that it's not working than to go on thinking it is when it isn't. If that makes sense... :D

ThatGuyBob
x3tc

Post by ThatGuyBob » Mon, 28. Jul 08, 20:40

I'm loving the app, Whimsy!

Found an issue in CommandList.txt:

Code: Select all

@<RetVar/IF>wait randomly for <Var/Number> to <Var/Number>ms
should actually be

@<RetVar/IF>wait randomly from <Var/Number> to <Var/Number> ms
Keep up the great work. This is exactly what I needed to get me excited again about X3, aside from TC.

Whimsy
x3tc

Post by Whimsy » Mon, 28. Jul 08, 21:54

ThatGuyBob wrote:Found an issue in CommandList.txt
Well spotted! Thanks for that. I've fixed the problem in V1.005.

ThatGuyBob
x3tc

Post by ThatGuyBob » Tue, 29. Jul 08, 02:43

I'm also trying to track down a pretty nasty crashbug that appears to be connected to the save routine (or perhaps compile, since the save forces a compile). It's a pretty routine-sounding "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error.

The bad part is, these crashes don't write anything to the error log, so I'm trying to put a recipe together to reliably reproduce them for Whimsy. Anyone else experiencing these and seeing a pattern?

ThatGuyBob
x3tc

Post by ThatGuyBob » Tue, 29. Jul 08, 03:31

Here are the exact steps to reproduce the crash:

1) Run Exscriptor.
2) File -> Close, to close the initial new document. (This seems to be the killer.)
3) File -> Open, pick an XML script file to open.
4) File -> Save as, and do the default to overwrite the existing file.
5) CRASH:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at X3_Script_Editor.Editor.menuSaveAs(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItemData.Execute()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Command.Invoke()
   madness continues for several lines

MJALowe
x3

Post by MJALowe » Tue, 29. Jul 08, 07:09

you might be able to fix it by starting with no document open at first...that way people wont need to close it...

Whimsy
x3tc

Post by Whimsy » Tue, 29. Jul 08, 16:06

ThatGuyBob wrote:Here are the exact steps to reproduce the crash
Thanks, that's really helpful! :thumb_up: I've managed to track it down and (hopefully) I've fixed it now.
MJALowe wrote:you might be able to fix it by starting with no document open at first...that way people wont need to close it...
I think I fixed the problem anyway, but what I also did is alter it so that if you open a new script when the default one is empty, it closes it automatically. That way you don't need to keep closing it. :)

ThatGuyBob
x3tc

Post by ThatGuyBob » Wed, 30. Jul 08, 15:37

Another bug:
If the only open file has arguments, and is then closed, the arguments stick around, and are prepended to the next file opened.

- Run Exscriptor.
- Open !move.movetoposition.pck
- File -> Close
- Open !move.movetoposition.pck again.
- The script arguments have been doubled.

It's not just a display problem, either. Saving the file saves the extra arguments.

Whimsy
x3tc

Post by Whimsy » Wed, 30. Jul 08, 16:29

ThatGuyBob wrote:Another bug:
If the only open file has arguments, and is then closed, the arguments stick around, and are prepended to the next file opened.
I'd not noticed that one before - well spotted. Anyway, I've fixed it in v1.007.

Keep up the good work! :wink:

Blacky_BPG
x4

Post by Blacky_BPG » Wed, 30. Jul 08, 19:49

Wow, you update the Exscriptor faster than I change my socks .... :roll:

Up till now I have not written any new script, screwed around merely in my old scripts only. This has worked everything till now.

Erilaz
x4

Post by Erilaz » Thu, 31. Jul 08, 00:04

Hi Whimsy,

Been usng your editor to good effect. So far I've only found one issue: It seems that when I open a file from a certain path, it displays the contents for the same file in a different path.

Just to confirm: I checked when loading the file in the status bar and the one indicates the one path loaded okay and when I load the other it indicates the other path, but the contents are the same.

Then I tried loading one, and closing the editor and loading the other, in all cases it's still displaying the contents of the latest file.

When I view them in notepad they're different. Have just downloaded v1.007 and same thing. Running on Vista 32 if that makes any difference.

As a suggestion, could there be an indication of the path when having two scripts of the same name open, so we know which is which, when trying to do a merge.

Great tool though, I must say.

ihndry
x3

Nothing to say ;)

Post by ihndry » Thu, 31. Jul 08, 02:22

just for short. thx for this exscrptor. It makes things possible. :lol:

Actually with 1.0.0.7 i found no big errors.

wishes ihndry

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”