Exscriptor - new external script editor

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

Whimsy
x3tc

Post by Whimsy » Mon, 28. Jul 08, 01:19

Blacky_BPG wrote:And what I said? -> If it running fine... -->> [And its running fine.] :thumb_up: [ external image ] :thumb_up:
For now, at least! Thanks very much by the way, you've been a great help in fixing these bugs! :)

Erilaz
x4

Post by Erilaz » Mon, 28. Jul 08, 01:25

Thanks, sounds brilliant Whimsy. Definitely going to give this a whirl during the week.

Best news (the cherry on top), would be if you have similar intensions for X3-TC.

Blacky_BPG
x4

Post by Blacky_BPG » Mon, 28. Jul 08, 04:46

Yeah, for now, but when I found an error I report it immediately :P

I know that even. I also program a little bit. The tool for the XSP-database was more than 4 weeks in version 2 and nobody asked me about an error. Until someone has dared ... now I am at 2.2.0.3.
Unknown author wrote:I can live with criticism, negative as positive. But nothing is worse than that nobody says something about my work.

I hope that I translated the quote correct

Whimsy
x3tc

Post by Whimsy » Mon, 28. Jul 08, 18:49

Erilaz wrote:Best news (the cherry on top), would be if you have similar intensions for X3-TC.
That depends on how much changes. But given that the files and scripting engine didn't change much from X2 to X3, hopefully it will only take a few minor modifications for Exscriptor to work with X3TC.
Blacky_BPG wrote:Yeah, for now, but when I found an error I report it immediately :P
True - I prefer to know that it's not working than to go on thinking it is when it isn't. If that makes sense... :D

ThatGuyBob
x3tc

Post by ThatGuyBob » Mon, 28. Jul 08, 20:40

I'm loving the app, Whimsy!

Found an issue in CommandList.txt:

Code: Select all

@<RetVar/IF>wait randomly for <Var/Number> to <Var/Number>ms
should actually be

@<RetVar/IF>wait randomly from <Var/Number> to <Var/Number> ms
Keep up the great work. This is exactly what I needed to get me excited again about X3, aside from TC.

Whimsy
x3tc

Post by Whimsy » Mon, 28. Jul 08, 21:54

ThatGuyBob wrote:Found an issue in CommandList.txt
Well spotted! Thanks for that. I've fixed the problem in V1.005.

ThatGuyBob
x3tc

Post by ThatGuyBob » Tue, 29. Jul 08, 02:43

I'm also trying to track down a pretty nasty crashbug that appears to be connected to the save routine (or perhaps compile, since the save forces a compile). It's a pretty routine-sounding "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error.

The bad part is, these crashes don't write anything to the error log, so I'm trying to put a recipe together to reliably reproduce them for Whimsy. Anyone else experiencing these and seeing a pattern?

ThatGuyBob
x3tc

Post by ThatGuyBob » Tue, 29. Jul 08, 03:31

Here are the exact steps to reproduce the crash:

1) Run Exscriptor.
2) File -> Close, to close the initial new document. (This seems to be the killer.)
3) File -> Open, pick an XML script file to open.
4) File -> Save as, and do the default to overwrite the existing file.
5) CRASH:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at X3_Script_Editor.Editor.menuSaveAs(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItemData.Execute()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Command.Invoke()
   madness continues for several lines

MJALowe
x3

Post by MJALowe » Tue, 29. Jul 08, 07:09

you might be able to fix it by starting with no document open at first...that way people wont need to close it...

Whimsy
x3tc

Post by Whimsy » Tue, 29. Jul 08, 16:06

ThatGuyBob wrote:Here are the exact steps to reproduce the crash
Thanks, that's really helpful! :thumb_up: I've managed to track it down and (hopefully) I've fixed it now.
MJALowe wrote:you might be able to fix it by starting with no document open at first...that way people wont need to close it...
I think I fixed the problem anyway, but what I also did is alter it so that if you open a new script when the default one is empty, it closes it automatically. That way you don't need to keep closing it. :)

ThatGuyBob
x3tc

Post by ThatGuyBob » Wed, 30. Jul 08, 15:37

Another bug:
If the only open file has arguments, and is then closed, the arguments stick around, and are prepended to the next file opened.

- Run Exscriptor.
- Open !move.movetoposition.pck
- File -> Close
- Open !move.movetoposition.pck again.
- The script arguments have been doubled.

It's not just a display problem, either. Saving the file saves the extra arguments.

Whimsy
x3tc

Post by Whimsy » Wed, 30. Jul 08, 16:29

ThatGuyBob wrote:Another bug:
If the only open file has arguments, and is then closed, the arguments stick around, and are prepended to the next file opened.
I'd not noticed that one before - well spotted. Anyway, I've fixed it in v1.007.

Keep up the good work! :wink:

Blacky_BPG
x4

Post by Blacky_BPG » Wed, 30. Jul 08, 19:49

Wow, you update the Exscriptor faster than I change my socks .... :roll:

Up till now I have not written any new script, screwed around merely in my old scripts only. This has worked everything till now.

Erilaz
x4

Post by Erilaz » Thu, 31. Jul 08, 00:04

Hi Whimsy,

Been usng your editor to good effect. So far I've only found one issue: It seems that when I open a file from a certain path, it displays the contents for the same file in a different path.

Just to confirm: I checked when loading the file in the status bar and the one indicates the one path loaded okay and when I load the other it indicates the other path, but the contents are the same.

Then I tried loading one, and closing the editor and loading the other, in all cases it's still displaying the contents of the latest file.

When I view them in notepad they're different. Have just downloaded v1.007 and same thing. Running on Vista 32 if that makes any difference.

As a suggestion, could there be an indication of the path when having two scripts of the same name open, so we know which is which, when trying to do a merge.

Great tool though, I must say.

ihndry
x3

Nothing to say ;)

Post by ihndry » Thu, 31. Jul 08, 02:22

just for short. thx for this exscrptor. It makes things possible. :lol:

Actually with 1.0.0.7 i found no big errors.

wishes ihndry

StormRazor52
xr

Post by StormRazor52 » Thu, 31. Jul 08, 07:08

Something seems to wrong with your download link at Mediafire. When you get transfered to the site there is no download link there. Not sure what is wrong but can you check it out for I would like to download your program and try it out, Thanks

Blacky_BPG
x4

Post by Blacky_BPG » Thu, 31. Jul 08, 11:27

You must try it repeatedly and use the back button of the browser. Medifire is getting crazy a little at the moment. Otherwise the link is ok, however.

StormRazor52
xr

Post by StormRazor52 » Thu, 31. Jul 08, 12:50

Thanks for the reply, and the problem seems to the Firefox browser I was using. When I opened MS Internet Explorer I had no problem with the download. For anyone else I was using version 3 of Firefox. If they have the same problem tell them to switch to IE to download from Mediafire, Thanks again.

Blacky_BPG
x4

Post by Blacky_BPG » Thu, 31. Jul 08, 13:07

Yes I use Firefox3 and have the same problem, but i use the back button (4-5 times I think) then the download link page wait for my click on the link :P
It works.
I don't know why this link will not work at the first try, the other links on mediafire works correct ... I think mediafire is a little bit crazy, sometimes, but better as rapidshare I mean.

Whimsy
x3tc

Post by Whimsy » Thu, 31. Jul 08, 13:56

Erilaz wrote:Been usng your editor to good effect. So far I've only found one issue: It seems that when I open a file from a certain path, it displays the contents for the same file in a different path.
This bug was a tricky devil to figure out, so thanks for spotting it! It was one of those fairly obscure things that I wouldn't ordinarily notice. Turns out it was basically giving files in the Scripts directory priority, so if you had another file with the same name elsewhere it would still load the Scripts one. Anyway, it should be fixed now in V1.008, but let me know if you have any more problems with it.
Erilaz wrote:As a suggestion, could there be an indication of the path when having two scripts of the same name open, so we know which is which, when trying to do a merge.

Great tool though, I must say.
Thanks (and thanks ihndry)! And that's a good suggestion, so I added a file location box so you can see where the script is located too. I also fixed a couple of other bugs at the same time, the main one being that trying to open a .PCK out of the X3 directory wouldn't work. Hopefully this is fixed now too.
StormRazor52 wrote:Something seems to wrong with your download link at Mediafire.
Hmm, sorry about that. I tested the new links though (with Firefox 3) and they both seem to download okay, so hopefully whatever the problem was, it's gone now. :)
Blacky_BPG wrote:I think mediafire is a little bit crazy, sometimes
That's my theory, too. Maybe they're just getting confused by my frequent updates. :D

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”