[SCR] Cargo Shield Array (v1.15 - 15.04.08)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

bp2019

Post by bp2019 » Tue, 29. Apr 08, 05:51

Unfortunately (me not being a script genius) I believe XTM added in NEW shields, and might of POSSIBLY shuffled the old shields into new slots in order to do so, the script will likely get confused on this and give out strange readings.

Even if this is not the case, the only real way to get this script to work properly under XTM would be to go a much different way of calculating using more CPU power, or creating a version specifically for XTM with the added shield levels, perhaps get this script working with VANILLA shielding and then ask nicely for XTM compatibility?

EDIT: thinking about it I dont think the shields would of moved slots, however as a 5gj is not a vanilla shield then it probably isn't in the scripts maths, therefore as its bigger than a 1gj the script seems to have no alternative but to assume or treat it as a 10.

However an XTM version would require a script modification to deal with these new shielding values, both total power and recharge rates.

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Tue, 29. Apr 08, 05:55

Didn't think I was asking in an un-nice way at all. In fact, I didn't specifically *ask* for anything. I give feedback based on my play experiences, so that scripters can improve their work. As a modder for other games I can fully say that this kind of feedback is one of the most desirable and necessary if a piece of work is truly to succeed.

Short story - Gazz is free to do whatever he wants with the script, as it is his creation. I am merely giving info on what I see, that might affect others.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Tue, 29. Apr 08, 12:36

I did indeed take a shortcut by hardcoding the 6 basic shields and just typing in their sizes.

The alternative would be to create a dummy ship of the same type, add 1 shield of "best" size and get the shield value.
However, I don't know if the script function would return the newly modded shields at all or if these newfangled shields even have a higher shield value to qualify for the function.
With me not using XTM this probably isn't going to happen.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

bp2019

Post by bp2019 » Tue, 29. Apr 08, 16:31

I wasn't trying to say you didn't ask nicely, I was merely saying that scripts generally have to be tested on vanilla X3 first and once that runs, iron out any issues with mod compatibility, while other scripts simply work with mods.

Sorry if I made you think I was trying to insult you or something. :oops:

Once the script is 100% which shouldn't be far off if it isnt already then perhaps ask if you can modify the script yourself for XTM compatibility and post that version in this same thread? 8)

Sartorie
x3tc

Post by Sartorie » Tue, 29. Apr 08, 18:22

The order of shields in XTM is a bit messed up ... the 5GJ was inserted before the 10GJ (thereby taking its positon) and the other new shields are at the end of the file ...

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Tue, 29. Apr 08, 23:48

Sartorie wrote:The order of shields in XTM is a bit messed up ... the 5GJ was inserted before the 10GJ (thereby taking its positon) and the other new shields are at the end of the file ...
That makes sense then with what I saw, as it seemed to think they were 10's. I wonder then what it uses for damage and recharge ratios when only 5's are on the ship. It seems to work regardless, although I expect balance is off for it.

But, there aren't many special shield types like that, so the impact even to an XTM game is minimal. Of course it would be nice if it worked perfectly with all mods/scripts, but that's asking a lot from Gazz. It works nicely now with most stuff, and is something I would recommend to others.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”