[SCRIPT] x0ne Turret Control System (TCS) 1.02 [UPDATED 31/12/2010]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Lidza
x3

Post by Lidza » Sat, 7. Jul 07, 19:49

x0ne wrote:Sorry to hear it Lidza, but don't panic, I'm sure we can sort this out.
Lidza wrote:On startup it fails saying malfunction... SS ware missing. The manual mentions in two files, I got both.
Ok, the other thing to check at this stage is if you've got Custom Wares enabled in the XScript Installer. They have to be enabled for the plugin to work.

You'll also need to install this plugin (and any other scripts for that matter) after you've installed XTM - i.e. install XTM and its script pack, shut down the XScript Installer, then start it up again and install everything else.

Lidza wrote:I've uninstalled and it says "sorry didn't work"... I removed both, the install and unnistall and tried again and same SS ware thing! ARGHHH! :rant:
If all you've ever got is the SS_WARE error, then you don't need to run the uninstaller. When you get that error it means the script hasn't done anything at all (it hasn't initialised). The uninstaller is there for people who've had the script working and want to completely remove it from a game they've saved.

I think the best thing to do at this stage would be:

1. Remove the plugin with the XScript Installer (the Remove Script Files option/button).
2. Close the XScript Installer (this is when it makes its changes).
3. Start the XScript Installer up again and install the plugin.
4. Make sure Custom Wares are enabled and close the XScript Installer.
5. Run X3.
6. Let me know how you get on with this ;)
I had the SS active on xscript installer

but reinstalling it for 3rd made it work... no more malfunctions :)

Many thanks :wink:

x0ne
x3tc

Post by x0ne » Sat, 7. Jul 07, 20:11

LUBEggA wrote:While testing the turret-commands I have some strange behavior in weapon-switching...
Yeah, it's because you're using the vanilla version of the plugin... :)

In the vanilla game M6s aren't that tough, and at close range they can easily outmanuever PPC rounds and turret tracking speed. For this reason, anti-fighter weapons are used against them when they get close enough. This will change with version 1.02 for XTM - 'smaller' weapons will still be used at close range on M6s, but only so far as HEPTs, EMPCs, etc.

As for you not experiencing this on a Cerberus, I'm quite sure it's because the Cerberus is big and does not have a front turret. The range of PBEs mounted left, right, up or down won't extend very far past the front of the ship, so you're unlikely to see them used against a target that's in front of you. FYI, weapon selection is based purely on what a turret can mount and the class of the ship it's engaging - the parent ship class has no bearing on it whatsoever. Trust me, I wrote the code! :D

LUBEggA wrote:Btw... for ships with front turrets and no main guns (so basically all capital ships) a special command for the front turret would be nice to have like... Attack my target. By this I could influence target selection at least for a few turrets.
That's a great idea... and is already built in to the plugin! 8) The first stage of the targeting process is to check what the player has targeted (or the attack target of the ship), and if that target is of a particular class, engage it if possible. Have a look at the start of section 3.3.1 in the readme for more specific info.

Further to this, don't forget that if you've got an important target that your turrets should be engaging, but they're busy shooting at something else, using the Re-scan Targets hotkey will make sure it's engaged if possible. Having said that though, an Attack My Target hotkey that would force the turrets to fire on any enemy, regardless of class, would be useful... expect this in 1.02!

Hmm, would you rather see this as an on/off toggle, or a 'once-per-use' instruction to the turrets?

x0ne
x3tc

Post by x0ne » Sat, 7. Jul 07, 20:15

Lidza wrote:but reinstalling it for 3rd made it work... no more malfunctions :)
Weird... :?

Never mind, the XScript Installer can act up sometimes - I don't suppose it's crashed on you recently has it?

LUBEggA

Post by LUBEggA » Sat, 7. Jul 07, 22:15

Thanks for your fast reply... I'm really looking forward to the new release with XTM-support!

The command mentioned should be a 'once per use' instruction assigned to a hotkey so you can easily wipe out a specific target and don't have to worry to switch this mode off again

Even better: only turrets which have the target in the tracking-arc should lock on the target, so the others can still concentrate on missile-defense or those pesky fighters :twisted: After killing the target the turrets should automatically switch back to their former status.

Something I forgot before: my ship won't use BPPC against M6 or TL. Is this also due to compatibility?

x0ne
x3tc

Post by x0ne » Sun, 8. Jul 07, 12:32

LUBEggA wrote:The command mentioned should be a 'once per use' instruction assigned to a hotkey so you can easily wipe out a specific target and don't have to worry to switch this mode off again
That's what I was thinking, glad we're in agreement.

LUBEggA wrote:Even better: only turrets which have the target in the tracking-arc should lock on the target, so the others can still concentrate on missile-defense or those pesky fighters :twisted: After killing the target the turrets should automatically switch back to their former status.
Well the plugin already does that to a degree, but having the turrets remember their previous targets would mean a little too much extra processing for my liking really. I'd like to make use of the existing fire-loop, so this means dropping all existing targets first, re-arming the turret and firing on the player tracking aim if possible. This isn't as bad as it sounds though because due to the way the plugin prioritises targets, your turrets will go back to important targets in their firing arcs if they can't hit the players aim, there'll just be a max. delay of 2.25 seconds (this may be tweaked later) from using the hotkey to everything firing again.

LUBEggA wrote:Something I forgot before: my ship won't use BPPC against M6 or TL. Is this also due to compatibility?
Possibly, I'd need to know what ship you were in though and what turret(s) were at fault - it would also be good to know which specific M6s and TLs you were engaging. It could be that there's a problem with the turrets on your ship (there are still a few minor bugs like this in XTM), or (and this is more probable) the turret was trying to use the BPPCs, but your ship and/or the target were moving too fast for the BPPCs to track.

LUBEggA

Post by LUBEggA » Sun, 8. Jul 07, 13:53

Well the plugin already does that to a degree, but having the turrets remember their previous targets would mean a little too much extra processing for my liking really. I'd like to make use of the existing fire-loop, so this means dropping all existing targets first, re-arming the turret and firing on the player tracking aim if possible. This isn't as bad as it sounds though because due to the way the plugin prioritises targets, your turrets will go back to important targets in their firing arcs if they can't hit the players aim, there'll just be a max. delay of 2.25 seconds (this may be tweaked later) from using the hotkey to everything firing again.
Just what I was thinking about, sounds good!
Possibly, I'd need to know what ship you were in though and what turret(s) were at fault - it would also be good to know which specific M6s and TLs you were engaging. It could be that there's a problem with the turrets on your ship (there are still a few minor bugs like this in XTM), or (and this is more probable) the turret was trying to use the BPPCs, but your ship and/or the target were moving too fast for the BPPCs to track.
I am using Cycrow's Assassins-script. My ship is a Pirate Reaver and the problem is mainly when hunting other M6 (no MM6, they do not spawn with this script :cry: ). I rechecked yesterday and noticed that BPPC are used against TL but somehow infrequently and definetly not on M6.
This might be due to a tracking problem, now that you mention it, becuase the M6 are of course faster and therefor difficult to hit with BPPC. But then BHEPT or even AHEPT should be used, not PBEs!

x0ne
x3tc

Post by x0ne » Sun, 8. Jul 07, 16:58

LUBEggA wrote:I am using Cycrow's Assassins-script. My ship is a Pirate Reaver and the problem is mainly when hunting other M6 (no MM6, they do not spawn with this script :cry: ). I rechecked yesterday and noticed that BPPC are used against TL but somehow infrequently and definetly not on M6.
This might be due to a tracking problem, now that you mention it, becuase the M6 are of course faster and therefor difficult to hit with BPPC. But then BHEPT or even AHEPT should be used, not PBEs!
Hmm, I can't seem to recreate this in my test environment, everything's working as expected - even the tracking speed of BPPCs doesn't seem to have much of an adverse affect.

Could you tell me the exact M6s you've been 'hunting' (i.e. Centaur, Osprey, etc). The only cause I can think of right now is that some of the M6s in XTM are recognised by the game as TSs (these are the M6 Haulers - the Centaur MkI Hauler for instance), and the weapon switching doesn't select anti-capital weapons for use against TSs. I'm guessing this is a bit of a long shot though because if Cycrow's script doesn't make use of the XTM MM6s, then it's probably not going to use the M6 Haulers either - worth checking though!

LUBEggA

Post by LUBEggA » Sun, 8. Jul 07, 17:38

Rechecked: assassin mission with 3 M6: Hydra, Nemesis, Osprey Raider.
Weapons used by turret: PBE (often), BPAC (often), BFlak (sparse), HEPT (sparse), BKyon (sparse), BUT: BPPC not even once!

Perhaps this might also be an issue with the energy consumption :gruebel:
BPPC drain a lot of weapon energy... Although I reduced the energy reserve to 0% already with no effect.

Did you use a complete loadout for your test? This ship can use A LOT of different weapons...

Big thanks for your efforts !!! :thumb_up:

EDIT: Finally I found the problem! Although I never assigned a hotkey for it the capture mode was enabled :oops: When I switch it of the ship also uses BPPC!

One comment though: I noticed that while in capture mode BFlak is used... this is way to overpowered to capture ships, because even M3 ships get destroyed when attacked by a battery of BFlak! Perhaps this should be limited to AFlak only, if Flak is to be used at all!

Sorry once again for giving you headache!

taigen

Post by taigen » Sun, 8. Jul 07, 19:59

So far I haven't managed to get to the point to test out this script as I can't fork out the 18mil at this moment... but it sounds quite nice.

On that note though, I think the price tag is a bit steep for a piece of software in game, and wanted to adjust it down to be more in line with other software in game (around the 180,000 range). I tried to change the price in the script packager but this broke the whole script (got the malfunction message and the package was no longer available for sale at all). Any advice on how to successfully alter the price of the TCS system?

-Taigen

x0ne
x3tc

Post by x0ne » Sun, 8. Jul 07, 21:11

taigen wrote:...I think the price tag is a bit steep for a piece of software in game, and wanted to adjust it down to be more in line with other software in game (around the 180,000 range).
I'm sorry you don't like the price tag, but it's representative of what the plugin can do, that it's not intended for general fleet-wide use and futhermore, that it's not a software upgrade. If the price was really low, it would unbalance the early game by making it too easy.

It may help you to think of it like this - x0ne Systems Inc. is a small company operating out of Getsu Fune. The TCS Interface (this is the ware you have to buy) is a serious piece of kit made from military grade hardware, and given the current state of war this is pretty difficult to source. Production is therefore limited, so the price reflects that.

taigen wrote:I tried to change the price in the script packager but this broke the whole script (got the malfunction message and the package was no longer available for sale at all). Any advice on how to successfully alter the price of the TCS system?
I hope you don't think I'm being rude when I say no, sorry I can't help you. I need to be able to provide you with support and advice on using this plugin, and in order to do that I have to run the same thing you're running... :wink:

I kindly ask that you do not make alterations to my work, and anyway, there are other far easier ways to get something for nothing in X3 (i.e. cheat) - have a look here and just give yourself 18m Cr. :twisted:

x0ne
x3tc

Post by x0ne » Sun, 8. Jul 07, 21:50

LUBEggA wrote:Sorry once again for giving you headache!
hehe, no worries I'm happy to help! :D

LUBEggA wrote:EDIT: Finally I found the problem! Although I never assigned a hotkey for it the capture mode was enabled
That's odd, if you've never used Capture Mode it should have been disabled. What sound did the hotkey make when you used it for the first time? A two-tone beep means you've disabled it, but if you hear "Ready" (or probably "Bereit " right? :wink:) then it's enabled.

LUBEggA wrote:When I switch it off (Capture Mode) the ship also uses BPPC!
This is indeed very strange, capture mode only prevents area-effect weapons from being used (ID, PSG). I remember that you've edited x0ne.TCS.dat.weapons.xml to make all your turrets move, correct? Can you check that you've not accidentally set the $area.effect flag to [TRUE] for BPPCs (and anything else other than IDs and PSGs)?

LUBEggA wrote:One comment though: I noticed that while in capture mode BFlak is used... this is way to overpowered to capture ships, because even M3 ships get destroyed when attacked by a battery of BFlak! Perhaps this should be limited to AFlak only, if Flak is to be used at all!
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here, so perhaps it would help if I explain exactly what Capture Mode does?

When activated, it stops all turrets from attacking whatever you have targeted, but they will still attack other ships. It also stops any turret from switching to area-effect weapons... and that's it. It does nothing more than this.

Perhaps you've configured FAAs to be area-effect weapons in the config script? I dunno, could you provide more info please?

LUBEggA

Post by LUBEggA » Sun, 8. Jul 07, 22:10

x0ne wrote:That's odd, if you've never used Capture Mode it should have been disabled. What sound did the hotkey make when you used it for the first time? A two-tone beep means you've disabled it, but if you hear "Ready" (or probably "Bereit " right? :wink:) then it's enabled.
It was indeed a two-tone beep, so I disabled it :gruebel: Don't know how it got activated.
xOne wrote:This is indeed very strange, capture mode only prevents area-effect weapons from being used (ID, PSG). I remember that you've edited x0ne.TCS.dat.weapons.xml to make all your turrets move, correct? Can you check that you've not accidentally set the $area.effect flag to [TRUE] for BPPCs (and anything else other than IDs and PSGs)?
Until now I have not edited any of your scripts as I wanted to sort out one problem first before creating another!
xOne wrote:I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here, so perhaps it would help if I explain exactly what Capture Mode does?

When activated, it stops all turrets from attacking whatever you have targeted, but they will still attack other ships. It also stops any turret from switching to area-effect weapons... and that's it. It does nothing more than this.

Perhaps you've configured FAAs to be area-effect weapons in the config script? I dunno, could you provide more info please?
Ok, that was an important info!
So if I have a ship with no main guns (so all capital ships and eg the Reaver) Capture Mode is not very useful for me, as the turrets won't fire at my target, right?
My thought of Capture Mode was that only light wepaons, preferably PBEs or PACs, are used to make the pilots bail and get the ship with maximum hull possible. What do you think?

taigen

Post by taigen » Sun, 8. Jul 07, 22:18

Sorry if you take offense to me trying to customise your plugin for my own use. I didn't think you would mind seeing as you give advice for adding custom weapons and shps in. I thought a price modification would be a rather simple matter but I guess I am wrong. I only know how to program in C++ and so this script language is still new to me. I am trying to learn by altering bits of my own game and looking at others work to get a feel for what does what, but can't figure out yet the relationship between the script files and t files and wares. (such as the reason changeing the 666666 in the ware price makes the script not recognise it anymore (and for other scripts why changeing the command id changes the name of the command but not what it does (trying to merge a few scripts together that currently use the same slots). I know I could just cheat and get credits but that doesn't really help me learn. Ah well, I will keep trying to figure out this script language on my own.

-Taigen

x0ne
x3tc

Post by x0ne » Sun, 8. Jul 07, 23:48

taigen wrote:Sorry if you take offense to me trying to customise your plugin for my own use. I didn't think you would mind seeing as you give advice for adding custom weapons and shps in.
No offence taken mate, it's just that if I say you're ok to make this change (and I tell you how to), then I'm partly responsible for it if everything goes wrong (and my time to help everyone out is severly limited).

As for the custom weapons and ships, I've only given permission to edit specific plugin files, not everything.

I don't mind offering advice though, it's just your original request was along the lines of "How do I change your plugin?". If want to understand Custom Wares as used in this plugin, then check out the help for Cycrow's X3 Plugin Manager. Other questions you may have on the subject are probably best posted seperately on the Scripting and Modding forum, as more people will see it than just here on this thread.

x0ne
x3tc

Post by x0ne » Mon, 9. Jul 07, 00:32

LUBEggA wrote:It was indeed a two-tone beep, so I disabled it :gruebel: Don't know how it got activated.
Yep, strange. Capture Mode is simply controlled by one local variable, and the only place this is set to [TRUE] is in the command script for the hotkey! I'll have a look and see if this is a bug, but I've never had a problem with it, and the testing I put this plugin through before the first release was extensive to say the least (I've worked as a software tester before) :wink:

LUBEggA wrote:Until now I have not edited any of your scripts as I wanted to sort out one problem first before creating another!
Always a good idea! Would you mind testing the BPPCs with and without Capture Mode for me then? Also, could you PM me a code listing of the dat.weapons file so I can check it?

LUBEggA wrote:So if I have a ship with no main guns (so all capital ships and eg the Reaver) Capture Mode is not very useful for me, as the turrets won't fire at my target, right?
Correct, it's there to stop your turrets killing a target you're trying to capture - not much use without main guns! :D

What I'll do in the next release is prevent Capture Mode from being activated if you've no main guns (this is a simple change), and add some information on this to the readme.

LUBEggA wrote:My thought of Capture Mode was that only light wepaons, preferably PBEs or PACs, are used to make the pilots bail and get the ship with maximum hull possible. What do you think?
Yeah like with X2 AEGIS? It's something I've been thinking about, but I'd like to get 1.02 out in its current state first before making any major changes - I think you would too, yes? :D

x3hydrino
x3

Thanks for all the information xOne.

Post by x3hydrino » Mon, 9. Jul 07, 01:11

I thought that this script wouldn't change much in oos combat. Most of the combat in my game is oos combat. I didn't know that all turret commands were worthless in oos combat. Thanks for that information as well. That must explain why I have lost 40 or so destroyers in oos combat. Although I suspect that they may have crashed into gates or asteroids some of the time. Thanks again for the information and I am sure this is a reasonaly priced software for what your script does for IS combat.

asyikarea51
x4

Post by asyikarea51 » Sun, 15. Jul 07, 10:00

I'm trying to use the features of this script, followed the proper instructions and got the ingame message that it's successfully installed.

For testing's sake I scripted it in to an Akuma at first, then a Colossus, but I don't see any new commands available for the turrets apart from the Egosoft stock and MEFOS scripts which I use (in a turret script frenzy, because supertuned M2's running at 600m/s can never hit their targets :lol:).

Am I doing something wrong? Running Xtended 0.72 with some other scripts (I did check to see if MEFOS conflicts with this script, but removing that didn't help).

The other thing is that it occupies cargo space - is this a custom ware limitation, or was it a deliberate move?

oft: Man, when was the last time I posted a topic on these forums? :headbang:

x0ne
x3tc

Post by x0ne » Sun, 15. Jul 07, 11:16

asyikarea51 wrote:For testing's sake I scripted it in to an Akuma at first, then a Colossus, but I don't see any new commands available for the turrets apart from the Egosoft stock and MEFOS scripts which I use (in a turret script frenzy, because supertuned M2's running at 600m/s can never hit their targets :lol:).

Am I doing something wrong? Running Xtended 0.72 with some other scripts (I did check to see if MEFOS conflicts with this script, but removing that didn't help).
Yes you're right, there are no conflicts with MEFOS. Sounds like you've done everything correctly too. Hmm, the only thing I can think of is that the x0ne TCS Interface isn't aboard the ship you're testing? It's the presence of this ware that makes the commands available to a specific ship. Can you check that this was the ware you scripted in to your ship(s), that it's definitely in their cargo bay, and that it is for sale at an Argon or Split EQ Dock please?

asyikarea51 wrote:The other thing is that it occupies cargo space - is this a custom ware limitation, or was it a deliberate move?
It's deliberate, the x0ne TCS Interface isn't just software, it's a piece of equipment that interfaces with and controls your existing ship weapon systems.

LUBEggA

Post by LUBEggA » Sun, 15. Jul 07, 13:14

x0ne wrote:Yep, strange. Capture Mode is simply controlled by one local variable, and the only place this is set to [TRUE] is in the command script for the hotkey! I'll have a look and see if this is a bug, but I've never had a problem with it, and the testing I put this plugin through before the first release was extensive to say the least (I've worked as a software tester before) :wink:
Don't put too much effort into this, perhaps it was just me and my clumsy fingers :)
xOne wrote:Always a good idea! Would you mind testing the BPPCs with and without Capture Mode for me then? Also, could you PM me a code listing of the dat.weapons file so I can check it?
Well the BPPCs work fine now most of the time... just yesterday I had a strange behavior where no BPPCs were used regardless of capture mode. But after a while it was ok again... Not very specific, I know, that makes it really difficult to test. Perhaps we should wait and see whether other users have similar problems, perhaps it is just something with my X-installation.
I will send you the code ASAP, but mind you, I didn't change anything!
xOne wrote:Correct, it's there to stop your turrets killing a target you're trying to capture - not much use without main guns! :D

What I'll do in the next release is prevent Capture Mode from being activated if you've no main guns (this is a simple change), and add some information on this to the readme.
You should put it into the manual, that's a good idea.

BUT: Do not disable it! It's the only way to capture big targets without destroying them completely with PPC fire. Just think about the HCF-technology or BailSignalExtension by voxol, they would be useless!
xOne wrote:Yeah like with X2 AEGIS? It's something I've been thinking about, but I'd like to get 1.02 out in its current state first before making any major changes - I think you would too, yes? :D
Defintely!

asyikarea51
x4

Post by asyikarea51 » Sun, 15. Jul 07, 15:29

Well what I did was edit the install.systems script that came with LV's cheat script pack to include whatever custom software upgrades I have installed, and your script was definitely among them.

(it showed up in the cargo bay as "xOne TCS interface", am I correct?)

There was even once when I had two instances of the same ware (custom ware WITH XTM selected in the script installer), and both were installed on the Akuma and even the starting Demeter (Enemy of the State start), but I still didn't see any new options for the turrets. Just Egosoft stock and MEFOS.

I don't have any savegames at risk though, so I'll start a fresh game and check the EQ Docks.

PS: I even have the Xai Corp weapon switcher fix installed, :lol:

EDIT: Ah-hah, got it. Ware is in ship, that part is okay. But the wares don't show up in the Argon and Split EQ docks, and docking at the station is fruitless - ware doesn't show up on the trade lists. Something I did wrong somewhere? :? :)

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”