[ *** V.2 ***] Realspace Backgrounds Mod

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Phlt
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Phlt » Sun, 23. Sep 07, 18:31

Yes, definitely a great + to the X3 Universe :)

I just noticed an issue with background #8 --> I got a kind of shadowed Pyramid in the background :S

have a look to:
- Moo Kye's Revenge
- Pontifex Seclusion
- Unholy Descent

as examples

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Mon, 24. Sep 07, 13:07

I can't see it, where exactly? The nebula is the deepred, the custom one...

tikanderoga
x4

Post by tikanderoga » Mon, 24. Sep 07, 13:10

I just tried your mod this weekend - awesome work mate - big thumbs up. And what I like most: You got rid of the nebula in the sectors where not needed. :) :)
If you got a monopoly on an operating system, and you make tons of money by supporting it, why fix it?

Phlt
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Phlt » Wed, 26. Sep 07, 19:25

Realspace wrote:I can't see it, where exactly? The nebula is the deepred, the custom one...
Here is the issue:

[ external image ]

My current graphic settings:

[ external image ]

captain1
x3

Post by captain1 » Wed, 26. Sep 07, 23:17

i have a 7900 gtx and i have no problems with real space.
I wouldn"t want to play with out this mod after getting use to it

defiant1
x4

Post by defiant1 » Wed, 26. Sep 07, 23:28

I also noticed while in Bila-Gi's joy when im pointing my ship a certain direction (I think twards the North) The nebula kinda looks a bit odd...(in corners it looks like the camera extends beyond the "cone" of the blue nebula) Ill post screenies when I can to show what I mean...(when i get more time to
Teladi Next Minute Shipping®

captain1
x3

Post by captain1 » Tue, 2. Oct 07, 23:58

i get the same thing with the blue smoke sections i see the triaggles .
but the mod is still great

Pogi
x2

Post by Pogi » Wed, 3. Oct 07, 16:10

I'm currently using a false patch of many different enhancments for the game that "I" like in it..One of the enhancments is a background.pck that gives me 480km view in all sectors with "zero" fog. I use this for performance reasons. I really love your mod, but I don't love "any" fog....My question is:

I would like to rip out of your mod the wonderful backgrounds and put them in my own "personal" false patch. I however, do not know which ones to add to my .cat to where I still maintain my "fogless" universe.

Basically, I'm just wanting the game to default to your "backgrounds only" and not the other additions you made to your mod as well.

Thanks
X3..The most fun a man can have...With his clothes on.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Fri, 19. Oct 07, 19:10

well, just edit the TBackgrounds.pck and eliminate all fog...if this is what you mean. Or use a TBackgrounds file of yours (fogless) and see the results. :)

Phlt,
the issue with the triangles appearing, I think it depends by the fog settings that are too high. I used even 40 in very foggy sectors but then this make the fog layer "fatter" so they show the borders. I've no time now to change it, but you can edit the TBackgrounds and lower the setting in the foggy sectors to max 9

Phlt
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Phlt » Fri, 19. Oct 07, 19:19

K, thanks for the reply :)

You did a really good job there. Keep on going :thumb_up:

Nekentros
x3

Post by Nekentros » Fri, 23. Nov 07, 22:46

Hello,
I am trying to replace the starfield with one that I have created. I currently have my starfield in bmp format and saved it to dds in photo shop with format DXT1 RGB no alpha and then renamed it to all 24 of the starfield file names such as nebula_bluedistance_stars_blue_diff.dds then and placed them in the dds folder, but they still dont show up in game.
Any suggestions?

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Thu, 29. Nov 07, 13:35

Actually no, this should not happen. :? Do u have other mods installed that change the dds or the model files for skybox? In vanilla game you can simply add new dds having the same name, but I suggest you better change the whole model linking it to your texture files... just see how I made it in my mod.

p.s. Youd don't need to change every single dds file!!! it's a waste of time :sceptic:
if I understood well, u want to have the same dds in all backgrouds, right? if so, simply change the TBackgrounds file and use the single skybox combination u wish...
hope to be usefull :)

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Wed, 12. Dec 07, 14:01

No other posts on this for long time so I suppose it finally works with no bugs, also with other mods. Happy of it.

I'd like to ask to players to add some pics of the new sector's backgrounds... :D ..I don't play X3 anymore...

Phlt
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Phlt » Wed, 12. Dec 07, 14:37

Realspace wrote:No other posts on this for long time so I suppose it finally works with no bugs, also with other mods. Happy of it.
Sorry mate by I still have the issue reported above not solved. However, thanks for asking. :)
Realspace wrote:I'd like to ask to players to add some pics of the new sector's backgrounds... :D ..I don't play X3 anymore...
You can find some pics (6) of your great backgrounds currently in use in my Beta Mod here: Xchange Guild
Credits to you are in row 11 - 1st post (I say this because the wording is in French). :wink:

This Mod will be released both in English and French

Thanks again for your hard work, it really worth the effort :)

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Fri, 14. Dec 07, 12:30

Phlt wrote: Sorry mate by I still have the issue reported above not solved. However, thanks for asking. :)
That's weird, did you try to reduce the FOG settings to 0 for that sector and see what happens? as said, that seems to be the fog layer being too tick becouse I set fog there at very high (30-50). just edit the TBackgrounds.pck...

Phlt
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Phlt » Fri, 14. Dec 07, 13:21

Yes, I will and keep you posted.

Thanks. :)

DarrenTomlyn
x3ap

Post by DarrenTomlyn » Sat, 15. Dec 07, 13:26

Cool - downloading this now too...

Did you say the images are from x2 etc.? Did/can you use any pics from here?:

http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/entire_collection/

If so then I guess you've got more pics to play with? ;)

It'd be great if you could have a folder full of pics and then generate a galaxy - (maybe with the random generator) - that chooses the pics for backgrounds at random ;) (if thats even possible?).
Darren Tomlyn

Tune-writer and fiddle-player,

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DarrenTomlyn/3291/

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Mon, 21. Jan 08, 23:51

I did re-edit the X2 backgrounds but changing many things, starting with the textures (only dds now, from previously jpeg's). The mesh is the same but the modle has changed. Furthermore I added the new nebulae that are taken exactley from the site you pointed. They can be integrated in the X2 or X3 model. :wink: Unfortunally you can not use all teh pics you see, they must be very high-res and very good quality, and also having no artifacts or distortions, and not too many stars inside. It's 80% a lot of hard photoshopping.. :P

Ulvetann

Great stuff!

Post by Ulvetann » Tue, 22. Jan 08, 13:34

Installed the pack late last night.
I must say, brilliant work!
Haven't been through all sectors yet, but what I have seen so far is outstanding.

Thanks for work done!

:x3:
/Ulvetann

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Thu, 24. Jan 08, 02:19

with time I'd like to take further work of this kind ... my next objective would be planets ... yes, correct, the beauty planets of X3, I think they can be made cosmetically better. :roll: ... at least so to enjoy some lower orbit view (unfortunally the atmosphere's crash can not be avoided... :cry: )

as to be more specific, I mean one could see something like this:
[ external image ]

... well, maybe not so close, let's say 800 km distant orbit would be good enough.. :D

this pic is taken from the ISS so at about 400 km from surface. the actual orbital planets of X3 (to be trivial, the very big ones as kindom's end) can be neared at about 1500-2000 km dist. (it's difficult to assess since no measurement is ingame) and, of course, are quite smaller than the earth...but that's not a problem.

my only problem is that upto now I've been unable to import the planet's meshes into GMax... :evil:

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”