[ *** V.2 ***] Realspace Backgrounds Mod

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Phlt
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Phlt » Fri, 14. Dec 07, 13:21

Yes, I will and keep you posted.

Thanks. :)

DarrenTomlyn
x3ap

Post by DarrenTomlyn » Sat, 15. Dec 07, 13:26

Cool - downloading this now too...

Did you say the images are from x2 etc.? Did/can you use any pics from here?:

http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/entire_collection/

If so then I guess you've got more pics to play with? ;)

It'd be great if you could have a folder full of pics and then generate a galaxy - (maybe with the random generator) - that chooses the pics for backgrounds at random ;) (if thats even possible?).
Darren Tomlyn

Tune-writer and fiddle-player,

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DarrenTomlyn/3291/

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Mon, 21. Jan 08, 23:51

I did re-edit the X2 backgrounds but changing many things, starting with the textures (only dds now, from previously jpeg's). The mesh is the same but the modle has changed. Furthermore I added the new nebulae that are taken exactley from the site you pointed. They can be integrated in the X2 or X3 model. :wink: Unfortunally you can not use all teh pics you see, they must be very high-res and very good quality, and also having no artifacts or distortions, and not too many stars inside. It's 80% a lot of hard photoshopping.. :P

Ulvetann

Great stuff!

Post by Ulvetann » Tue, 22. Jan 08, 13:34

Installed the pack late last night.
I must say, brilliant work!
Haven't been through all sectors yet, but what I have seen so far is outstanding.

Thanks for work done!

:x3:
/Ulvetann

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Thu, 24. Jan 08, 02:19

with time I'd like to take further work of this kind ... my next objective would be planets ... yes, correct, the beauty planets of X3, I think they can be made cosmetically better. :roll: ... at least so to enjoy some lower orbit view (unfortunally the atmosphere's crash can not be avoided... :cry: )

as to be more specific, I mean one could see something like this:
[ external image ]

... well, maybe not so close, let's say 800 km distant orbit would be good enough.. :D

this pic is taken from the ISS so at about 400 km from surface. the actual orbital planets of X3 (to be trivial, the very big ones as kindom's end) can be neared at about 1500-2000 km dist. (it's difficult to assess since no measurement is ingame) and, of course, are quite smaller than the earth...but that's not a problem.

my only problem is that upto now I've been unable to import the planet's meshes into GMax... :evil:

Phlt
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Phlt » Thu, 24. Jan 08, 09:00

That's a very good idea Realspace.

Sectorwise, large planets can be placed between 350 & 500 Kms from center.

SSwamp_Trooper
x3tc

Post by SSwamp_Trooper » Thu, 24. Jan 08, 15:27

That would be a great improvement if you can do it, good luck Realspace

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Fri, 25. Jan 08, 10:52

Phlt wrote:That's a very good idea Realspace.

Sectorwise, large planets can be placed between 350 & 500 Kms from center.

yeah, sectors pone the bigger limitation to big planets, anyway my idea is to get rid of gates and to use more than a sector for a single planet's system!

let's say a planetary region would occupy 2 sectors (invisible, a script or an invisible gate transfer you as you travel), one for distant orbit and one for low orbit. If I can create a new bigger model for planet (it would be pratically almost a curved surface), than we can have 3 sectors for each planet.

Of course you have to give sense to this layout, it can not be only a cosmetic simulation improvement. For instance, you don't have jumpdrive but the very big ships (that will use and advanced one, like the Cycrow's one, that makes u appear everywhere ) and have to travel to reach the low orbit (where important stations will be such as shipyards, etc.)

At the end, given the 480 sector available and the empy ones needed to create lonway connections, I think there's space enogh to have at least 3-4 inhabitable systems for each race.

The general ideas is similar to Freelancer layout (which was great apart the fact that systems were ridicously small!!!), but a system (here, only planetary system) spans across 3-4 sectors connected by script or invis. gates.

I'd leave the actual gates or some wormehole to connect the systems...

About planet model:

X3 created very nice textures for planet surface, realy the best among all space games (procedural planets apart...) so I'd like to use them and implement.

As first, I'm getting rid of the clouds in some planets. at moment they all have the same clouds (mean same texture and same coverage) to show a bit more what's under! this must be implmented, for instance all the terrain textures lkack of MOUNTAINS.

I'll put soon some pic of what I've achieved..

edit: here some pics

this is only the implementation of low orbit clouds, example on 3 diff. kind of planets (I'll use different clouds for diff. planets in future), still no terrain implementation:

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

known issues:

1) notice the nice shadows under the clouds, they give deepness to the sky. but, u can not be sure the shadow is correctly in line with the sun dicrection. then it should move acordingly to your position, but it is quite fixed now..

2) the texture file I created is quite big, neverherless mu pc handles it smoothly, don't know in crowded sectors...I suppose it only affects load time not game calculations.

3) the clouds layer moves too quickly, it is weird becouse clouds don't move all togethrer in the same direction! If I could get rid of it by modifying the scene of the model... then it would be cool to have at least 2 different layers for clouds, so they move at different speed... (unfortunally I've problem to import models into Gmax! :evil: )
Last edited by Realspace on Fri, 25. Jan 08, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.

Phlt
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Phlt » Fri, 25. Jan 08, 13:06

Looks promising Realspace :)

Note: Is there one pic not showing ?

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Sat, 26. Jan 08, 01:35

I've a problem I can't import bod files into gmax, it results into some few memory error I cant get rid of..

any guess?

I want not only to use a different mesh (for this a 3d editor is mandatory) but also modify the UVmapping, mean change the nr. of repeated texture on the surface (so are textured planets) ... any gues where this setting can be changed not using the gmax?

Mudkest
x4

Post by Mudkest » Sun, 27. Jan 08, 03:46

looks awesome, but sadly I(not my game :p) suffer from CTD with it installed after a few minutes in game :( but rhonkar's cloud never looked better(havent been able to look at any other systems cause of crashes, guess I cant enjoy it :( )
Avast ye chumsucking scumbuckets. Landlubbers be keelhauled, pillage them poodles and bring missery and mutiny to the mercifull

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Sun, 27. Jan 08, 11:13

Mudkest wrote:looks awesome, but sadly I(not my game :p) suffer from CTD with it installed after a few minutes in game :( but rhonkar's cloud never looked better(havent been able to look at any other systems cause of crashes, guess I cant enjoy it :( )
I can't help you with the CTD but I think the clouds aren't in the mod atm. ;)

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Mon, 28. Jan 08, 11:21

exactley, they aren't, it's just a going-on project I keep uptodate inside this thread. I'll start a new one to avoid this confusion, but in future they'll be both in one single file.

bytheway..what's the problem You're having, I don't get it. I don't think my backgrounds cause any crash, at worst a bit more loading time! :?

edit:

does anyone know hot to increase the size of GATES without working on the mesh (indeed I need invisible huge gates, so no model).

I managed to change all the values in argon_gate_scene.bod but could only achieve to create an invisible gate not a bigger one!

Master Hauler Chief
x4

Post by Master Hauler Chief » Tue, 29. Jan 08, 12:38

Just installed this mod and WOW nice 1. Big round of applause from me, superb work. Now it feels like I really am flying around space.

One thing though, the default pic you have of just a star field background. Its a bit rough around the blue sections and it stands out a bit in comparision to the rest of the great work n the mod.

If I might suggest darkening the whole picture slightly to mask this, or soemthing similar.

Other than that top marks! Also cant wait to see this real worlds mod in action, I would love some high quality planets and weather to go with the backgrounds.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Tue, 29. Jan 08, 12:50

having taken a look at my backgrounds after a while I've had a similar feeling, some ae still amazing even for me! ... some seem to suffer from pixelation (is ti said so?), "excess of photoshopping" and at the end what a like less are probably the "realspace" pics as the magellan nebula, while I like the X3/x2 combined ones and all of my custom ones.

Well, the mod is out now and people are using it also with other mods, so it goes on its own ... but in future releases I'll do a polishing work and probably reduce the amount (we don't rellay need 62 different backgrounds!!).

As for now, I've finally got the way to create huge invisible gates, so the realspace galaxy will be on work. probably it will be an expansion to the New Horizon Mod, so to have all the features of that mod but with a very different galaxy layout and gameplay (fast ships and guns, huge sectors, etc.)

About planet, I'm in doubt. I discovered that due to the FOV of the engine, even the very small planets appear wide at short distance (the distortion of the wide angle) so I could use them also for orbital view just by increasing the resolution of the textures used (I experimented it).

Indeed increasing the size of the model (I tried even 3x for the big orbital planets) don't result into a flatter-wider surface, and furthermore ther's a problem with the sun not orking properly together with a too big planet.

At the edn, I experimented creating a new planet that is quite small (less than medium more than the moons) but you don't get its size, so it can be used inside a big sector as well as from far away as for very close. It's nice, you have the illusion of travelling long distances, but are not! so both gameplay and "space-illusion" are safe. Unfortunally I don't know hot to "trick" the meters count!
Last edited by Realspace on Tue, 29. Jan 08, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.

Master Hauler Chief
x4

Post by Master Hauler Chief » Tue, 29. Jan 08, 13:00

yeah its pixelation, just around the basic starfields blue sections. As for the numbers YES KEEP ALL 62! I know you dont think there all required but for me its great to jump around and still see new ones I havent spotted yet. I would like every single sector to be different but hey i know thats not an easy task and I woudnt expect it of anyone. But please keep the ones you have, there all good when compared to the default ones.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Thu, 31. Jan 08, 19:01

ok, discussion continues in this new thread about the project going on:

http://www.egosoft.com/x3/forum/viewtopic.php?t=199067

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Fri, 1. Feb 08, 13:14

I add some instructions for those who don't like some of the backgrounds. since there are 62!...there's no reason to not use my mod if some are not of your taste :wink:

here the hint:

Using the galaxy editor INGAME:
Select a background you like, let's assume you like the "standard black", then create a new background using this, then reneame it to the name of a background you don't like (as example, "bluewell"), then export the TBackgrounds file. exit game. look inside the new created types folder inside X3 main folder. Take the TBackgrounds inside and copy it inside the CAT file of my mod using the Doubleshadow Mod manger. That's all!

Or, take note of the backgrounds you don't like (names). open my mod CAT file, extract the TBackgrounds file. edit it: DON'T DELETE ANYTHING OR YOU MAP WON'T WORK ANYMORE, simply substitute the string of the ones you dislike with ones you like. finished..

NOTE: I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE MESS YOU CAN DO !! :D :P

roy986

Post by roy986 » Fri, 1. Feb 08, 14:42

:) Thank you~!
Downloading……

Dungeoncrawler
x3tc

Post by Dungeoncrawler » Sat, 2. Feb 08, 07:57

Thank you sir; space looks damn fine now. I also am glad to get rid of the 'fog' stuff as well. Downloaded, installed, and playing just fine.

Dc

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”