[MOD] Lower Poly Asteroids v2.04: Less Fat, More FPS [UPDATED 03.05.07]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

max274bm

Post by max274bm » Thu, 19. Apr 07, 03:11

Thanks Halo

I can very succesfully just deactivate the .spk through the xscript installer (as I found out) so your mod seems very stable. You could use both and activate or deactivate as you wish. That is if use xscript installer! Very simple and very well done Halo and Cy (xscript I belive) :)

SLeeZeCoRe
x3tc

Post by SLeeZeCoRe » Thu, 19. Apr 07, 21:31

Someone need to write a little app that'll pull out the textures (all of them, and replace them with low detailed ones like in gaming days gone by.

I wonder how many fps you could improve it if you get rid of the rubbish eyecandy that 90% of us don't even look at :lol:

Schabernack

Post by Schabernack » Sun, 22. Apr 07, 20:54

@SLeeZeCoRe true

i've seen vids with awsome grafics and music with a codesize
of only about 20kb, where others with theire tools and gadgets need 200mb.
If i only could remember the names/links. There is every year a conntest with the task to put as much as possible in a few kbs.

:) But you know as long as nobody wants cars as long-living as pyramide, the car industrie gets a long with sth like a predetermined breaking point

k i'm off topic, solong

Teh_Gerbil
x4

Post by Teh_Gerbil » Mon, 23. Apr 07, 00:19

Sweet, going to get this!
-[Galactic Trade and Industry Federation - Nothing in the way of Profits]-

If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves.
Joseph Stalin

Achatos
x3

Post by Achatos » Mon, 23. Apr 07, 01:45

I don't want to be a spoilsport but there has been a script out there for ages that lets you get rid of ALL the small asteroids at once. Or just in the sector of your preference. Wouldn't that be more effective than just getting them out of sight? It certainly improves your FPS, I guarantee (tried it myself).

The script is made by Bunny, and can be found here:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=148622
Find what you need in the X3-universe (with all XTM data, and X3 Music guide)
[ external image ]

Achatos
x3

Post by Achatos » Mon, 23. Apr 07, 01:47

Squelch wrote:I just tried both download links and got "File not Found on the Server" errors for both.

I'm looking forward to this 'cos my rig really struggles in high asteroid count sectors.
For you too, above solution may be useful.
[ external image ]

halo112358
x3

Post by halo112358 » Mon, 23. Apr 07, 09:47

SLeeZeCoRe wrote:Someone need to write a little app that'll pull out the textures (all of them, and replace them with low detailed ones like in gaming days gone by.

I wonder how many fps you could improve it if you get rid of the rubbish eyecandy that 90% of us don't even look at :lol:
You could have retro asteroids by just turning off normal and bump mapping, it would look terrible and you would gain _very little_. This is my (cheap & easy) attempt to make the asteroids perform a little better at the cost of a little eye candy - it was a judicious trade ;)
Achatos wrote:I don't want to be a spoilsport but there has been a script out there for ages that lets you get rid of ALL the small asteroids at once. Or just in the sector of your preference. Wouldn't that be more effective than just getting them out of sight? It certainly improves your FPS, I guarantee (tried it myself).
The point of this mod isn't to get rid of the asteroids, it's to make them more playable for people who want better performance.

Let's just say that there are a lot of little rocks in Seizewell and Ore Belt - if you can reduce the poly count on all of those little 'roids by ~30-50% then you've _drastically_ reduced the number of polygons that you have to draw to the screen - hence better performance and very little sacrifice.
*** modified ***

[ external image ]

KanineLupus
x2

Post by KanineLupus » Mon, 23. Apr 07, 10:39

SLeeZeCoRe wrote:Someone need to write a little app that'll pull out the textures (all of them, and replace them with low detailed ones like in gaming days gone by.

Have to concur with Halo on his response. Texturing makes very little difference at all to game performance (although switching off 'post-filtering' in the options menu does make a fair difference when you need it).

Besides, one doesn't buy a high-end sim-style game and then take away half of what goes to creating the environment. As much as many don't notice the specific details of the 'eye-candy' all that often, it would be a rather bland and empty void without them ...it would also take away any sense of authenticity.

Achatos
x3

Post by Achatos » Tue, 24. Apr 07, 01:42

halo112358 wrote:
Achatos wrote:I don't want to be a spoilsport but there has been a script out there for ages that lets you get rid of ALL the small asteroids at once. Or just in the sector of your preference. Wouldn't that be more effective than just getting them out of sight? It certainly improves your FPS, I guarantee (tried it myself).
The point of this mod isn't to get rid of the asteroids, it's to make them more playable for people who want better performance.

Let's just say that there are a lot of little rocks in Seizewell and Ore Belt - if you can reduce the poly count on all of those little 'roids by ~30-50% then you've _drastically_ reduced the number of polygons that you have to draw to the screen - hence better performance and very little sacrifice.
Yeah, so I understood. But do you really want those little rocks in your universe?? :o Most players find them only annoying. Consuming them by mobile mining takes ages. I mean there are faster ways to make credits!
[ external image ]

halo112358
x3

Post by halo112358 » Tue, 24. Apr 07, 01:53

Achatos wrote: Yeah, so I understood. But do you really want those little rocks in your universe?? :o Most players find them only annoying. Consuming them by mobile mining takes ages. I mean there are faster ways to make credits!
Would I have made a mod that reduces the # of polygons they contain if I wanted to get rid of them?

Yes, that question is rhetorical.

I agree that they can cause problems for people but I think that certain sectors are boring without them. It's better to give people the choice on their own - you like to play the game without little rocks, other people like to keep them.

Now that you mention it, it does take ages to mobile mine them away by yourself - I think it might be time to mod Jobs.txt and script in a few NPC miners ;-)
*** modified ***

[ external image ]

arcana75
x3tc

Post by arcana75 » Tue, 24. Apr 07, 08:25

Bravo! I just got ur mod, with the fewer polys the roids look more chunky and heck they look more like asteroids than the previous render!

Better looks, better framerates? Oh yeah!

:thumb_up:

KanineLupus
x2

Post by KanineLupus » Tue, 24. Apr 07, 09:05

halo112358 wrote:Now that you mention it, it does take ages to mobile mine them away by yourself - I think it might be time to mod Jobs.txt and script in a few NPC miners ;-)
Now THAT is a good idea!! Let the X-Universe clean up it's own mess for once, lol. Might be a little tricky pulling it off in the Xenon sectors which are roid night-mares though ...I don't see the Xenon taking up mining for extra cash :lol:

halo112358
x3

Post by halo112358 » Tue, 24. Apr 07, 09:29

crayolakidd wrote:
halo112358 wrote:Now that you mention it, it does take ages to mobile mine them away by yourself - I think it might be time to mod Jobs.txt and script in a few NPC miners ;-)
Now THAT is a good idea!! Let the X-Universe clean up it's own mess for once, lol. Might be a little tricky pulling it off in the Xenon sectors which are roid night-mares though ...I don't see the Xenon taking up mining for extra cash :lol:
They do need ore and silicon to make new ships though ;)
arcana75 wrote:Bravo! I just got ur mod, with the fewer polys the roids look more chunky and heck they look more like asteroids than the previous render!

It was your 50km visibility mod that made me want to make this ;) Seizewell was really living up to it's name.
Last edited by halo112358 on Tue, 24. Apr 07, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
*** modified ***

[ external image ]

SLeeZeCoRe
x3tc

Post by SLeeZeCoRe » Tue, 24. Apr 07, 11:58

Schabernack wrote:@SLeeZeCoRe true

i've seen vids with awsome grafics and music with a codesize
of only about 20kb, where others with theire tools and gadgets need 200mb.
If i only could remember the names/links. There is every year a conntest with the task to put as much as possible in a few kbs.

:) But you know as long as nobody wants cars as long-living as pyramide, the car industrie gets a long with sth like a predetermined breaking point

k i'm off topic, solong

Thats Krieger (sp) a full FPS in a super compressed single file, took me a year to find a PC capable of decompressing and rendering it, looks damn pretty for 100k- app lol.

If only other gaming companies had the brains to make stuff like that.

arcana75
x3tc

Post by arcana75 » Tue, 24. Apr 07, 13:38

halo112358 wrote:
arcana75 wrote:Bravo! I just got ur mod, with the fewer polys the roids look more chunky and heck they look more like asteroids than the previous render!

It was your 50km visibility mod that made me want to make this ;) Seizewell was really living up to it's name.
I scratch ur back, you scratch my back! :D

BTW I use the low quality mod. Did u say it's 50% reduction in polys? Are these for the large mineable ones or also the smaller non-mineable ones?

Split Fire has ALOT of small rocks.

Oh BTW, if u like I can mirror ur mod. I know from experience rapidshare can be really anal with free users. But I'll only do it if u're ok.

Schabernack

Post by Schabernack » Tue, 24. Apr 07, 14:41

Achatos:
I don't want to be a spoilsport but there has been a script out there for ages that lets you get rid of ALL the small asteroids at once.
i like the astros, its a bit of reality, nethertheless, as we see they could be improved for performance

crayolakidd:
Texturing makes very little difference at all to game performance
little difference is still a difference

crayolakidd:
Besides, one doesn't buy a high-end sim-style game and then take away half of what goes to creating the environment
so myself paid a 10bugs game and i'm going to tweak the performance to
my lowbudget old hardware as good as possible and for that i'm glad for any script/mod which helps me there.

If you took in npc mobil miners then there also should be a kind of respawning of astroids, like BBS "The Minersguild will be happy bcz shortly new astros came in from the outer starsystem of the Profitmines" or sth like that.

SLeeZeCoRe:
If only other gaming companies had the brains to make stuff like that.
some do have, but most companies want to hold there fixed deadlines to get the product to the market to earn money, then there is less space to perfection

arcana75
x3tc

Post by arcana75 » Tue, 24. Apr 07, 17:39

I'm all for performance-enhancements over removal of content.

Sure we could run a script or mod to remove say half the factories ingame, it'll improve ur perf by leaps and bounds. But that'll suck.

One could argue that removal of ships is the same, but civilian ships really add nothing to the game. The service ships (hospital, taxi, etc) on the other hand do, they add flavour.

Similarly, I like that asteroid fields have lots of rocks, rather than a few big rocks here and there. If a mod like this can effectively give me 2x the framerate whilst maintaining the environment and atmosphere, why not? Win win.

SLeeZeCoRe
x3tc

Post by SLeeZeCoRe » Tue, 24. Apr 07, 18:25

See I don't see how removing some useless eyecandy does make the 'atmosphere' take a dive, coz X3 has almost zero atmoshpere in the first place, thus all the hundreds of Mods :lol: trying to recapture some of the X2-ness.

imo

halo112358
x3

Post by halo112358 » Wed, 25. Apr 07, 05:24

arcana75 wrote: I scratch ur back, you scratch my back! :D

BTW I use the low quality mod. Did u say it's 50% reduction in polys? Are these for the large mineable ones or also the smaller non-mineable ones?

Split Fire has ALOT of small rocks.

Oh BTW, if u like I can mirror ur mod. I know from experience rapidshare can be really anal with free users. But I'll only do it if u're ok.
Feel free to mirror anything I produce - I know how the internet works, whether I authorize mirroring or not it will happen, so I give my permission freely ;)

So here's the secret about the medium and low quality mods - for both mods there's a 30-50% poly reduction on all of the small and medium sized rocks (however far I could optimize them and keep the look roughly the same). Those rocks are identical between the two mods.

The low poly mod takes the mineable asteroids down by ~50%, and the medium poly mod takes them down by maybe ~20-25%.

In rocky sectors like split fire, ore belt & seizewell the bulk of the onscreen polys come from huge quantities of small rocks, so that's where I concentrated. I initially wanted to reduce the polys on the big rocks by the same percentage but I found they just didn't look good to me so I did them again and didn't take them quite as far (that's why there are low & med poly versions).
Last edited by halo112358 on Thu, 26. Apr 07, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
*** modified ***

[ external image ]

Schabernack

Post by Schabernack » Wed, 25. Apr 07, 12:17

So here's the secret about the medium and low quality mods - everything except the mineable asteroids is exactly the same, there's a 30-50% poly reduction on all of the small and medium sized rocks (however far I could optimize them and keep the look roughly the same).

The low poly mod takes the mineable asteroids down by ~50%, and the medium poly mod takes them down by maybe ~20-25%.

In rocky sectors like split fire, ore belt & seizewell the bulk of the onscreen polys come from huge quantities of small rocks, so that's where I concentrated. I initially wanted to reduce the polys on the big rocks by the same percentage but I found they just didn't look good to me so I did them again and didn't take them quite as far (that's why there are low & med poly versions)
That is handy information perhaps you could add it in the first page?

Meanwhile got some script ideas by myself, for that your mode/script would be usefull, so am i formaly allowed to use it :) ?

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”