[Script] Factory Complex Constructor [22.9.2007] [V3.21 FINAL]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

-Dusty-
x3tc

Post by -Dusty- » Wed, 17. Oct 07, 23:22

Oh boy, what did you do with that complex? I had to move more than ten stations cause they collided with each other ^^
Well, your complex is even more messy than before, but at least there are no colliding stations left.

Download

Have Fun :)

I'll delete the file as soon as you've downloaded it.

Treach

Post by Treach » Thu, 18. Oct 07, 02:27

Hello Friends, I have two questions that I was hoping you all could help me out with.

I'll prefix these with the notice that I a brand new at, and struggling with the whole station/complex building thing. So far I've managed to link together two XL solar power plants and move them around, and the hub, but that's about it. I have been reading both the X3 manual and FCC manual, but am still having some problems, hence my questions.

Here we go...

First question is (I think) FCC specific. In the FCC manual, on page 14, it mentions that in order to "reset" a complex's tubes after movement, one should "build a new control center and connect it to the old, the old will disappear, doesn't need any resources, etc etc". I'm not sure how to do this, I've tried buying/connecting both a construction kit, which I can't attach as it wants to attach to two things, and a complex hub, which I can't seem to attach to the complex either. Could someone please indicate how I would go about doing this?

Edit - I just realized I can't buy a complex control center anywhere, just the "construction kit". I'm lost.

Second question(s) is/are non-FCC specific. How do I remove a station from a complex, is that even possible? Also, is it possible to "pick up" a station I've already deployed with a TL?

I'm using X3 DVD ver 2.0.02, Bonus pack 3.1.0.6, and Xtended mod 0.7.3, however it doesn't seem that these would cause any problems or conflicts to the best of my knowledge, someone can correct me.

Many thanks in advance!

bluewiz1960
x4

Thanks Dusty

Post by bluewiz1960 » Thu, 18. Oct 07, 11:39

I downloaded the file and I'll check it out tonight. As a point of interest, I didn't do anything weird. When I set up the complex it had 3 km or close to it between stations. Like you saw, it seemed to collapse in on itself for some reason. [Gremlins methinks] I'll let you know if they return.

PS
I had a chance to look at the complex and it looks real nice but you forgot one small detail....an operating docking hub....I can't visit my adoring factory workers....
I would guess the easy fix is to add a couple of factories as separate complex and hub first and then add them to the main complex. I think I read somewhere that the second dock is kept.
And to repeat thanks for saving the game for me.

-Dusty-
x3tc

Post by -Dusty- » Thu, 18. Oct 07, 12:52

Treach wrote: I'm not sure how to do this, I've tried buying/connecting both a construction kit, which I can't attach as it wants to attach to two things, and a complex hub, which I can't seem to attach to the complex either. Could someone please indicate how I would go about doing this?

Edit - I just realized I can't buy a complex control center anywhere, just the "construction kit". I'm lost.
The complex construction kit and the Complex Center (Hub) are (nearly) the same: You can connect two Stations with a construction kit (by using the standard-Command) or you can build a single control center (by using the FCC-Command and using a construction kit).

When you connect two stations, a control center will be built too. But with the FCC-Command, it's possible to create a single control center without connecting something.

Now, you have to buy at least two construction kits at a shipyard. Order your TL to the sector with your complex, and build one single control center - Use the FCC-Command and select the construction kit.
Then use the Standard-Command for building stations, and select the construction kit. Firstly select your Old complex hub, and secondly your new one.

Treach wrote:Second question(s) is/are non-FCC specific. How do I remove a station from a complex, is that even possible? Also, is it possible to "pick up" a station I've already deployed with a TL?
It's not possible to remove a single station from a complex, you have to destroy all connections (use the self destruction of the complex hub). There's the Station/Complex Relocator which can load stations back into a TL.

@bluewiz: What's wrong with the hub? It seems to work fine...

bluewiz1960
x4

Hub not dockable

Post by bluewiz1960 » Thu, 18. Oct 07, 13:51

When either my ship or the supply and trader ships try and dock, we just circle the hub aimlessly. I can dock at other stations but not the complex

Treach

Post by Treach » Thu, 18. Oct 07, 16:33

-Dusty- wrote:The complex construction kit and the Complex Center (Hub) are (nearly) the same: You can connect two Stations with a construction kit (by using the standard-Command) or you can build a single control center (by using the FCC-Command and using a construction kit).

When you connect two stations, a control center will be built too. But with the FCC-Command, it's possible to create a single control center without connecting something.

Now, you have to buy at least two construction kits at a shipyard. Order your TL to the sector with your complex, and build one single control center - Use the FCC-Command and select the construction kit.
Then use the Standard-Command for building stations, and select the construction kit. Firstly select your Old complex hub, and secondly your new one.
Ahhhh!! I see, that worked! Thanks a bunch! So to reposition the hub, one needs to 1. build a new standalone hub complex and position it to where they want it to be, and 2. connect the hub to the complex using a construction kit.

Worked like a charm.

-Dusty- wrote:It's not possible to remove a single station from a complex, you have to destroy all connections (use the self destruction of the complex hub). There's the Station/Complex Relocator which can load stations back into a TL.
OK, just verified the destruct hub works, my stations separate into individual entities. It's tedious to rebuild the complex, but at least this works.

And thanks for the link to that script, that's exactly what I was looking for.

On a final note, can I recommend that the above information be included in any future revisions of the FCC manual? It's already full of good info, but the little details like these are also important to have available.

Thanks again Dusty!

spoidz
x3tc

Post by spoidz » Sat, 16. Feb 08, 23:19

Hello all,

I have a strange problem and hoping its a quick user error on my part:

I have destroyed the complex hub in an existing XTM/2.0.02 game in order to then spread out my stations prior to a restart that will be importing my universe to a new XTM start.

Reason I'm spreading the stations is I use the FCC (3.12) to cram them in so close that X3converter simply can't handle import w/o losing a few.

Sequence: Unfix Complex (shift-K)/Destroy hub (LV cheat)/Stations Separated

Did I miss a step here?

After I have done that, for some reason it then will let me move any of the now separate stations using the FCC but won't let me re-fix any of them.

It is letting me move all of them w/o having to fix/unfix them (they are all staying blue (no unfixed color name and no camera drones).

Any chance this will corrupt my import? Since the save I use, I don't know what the status of these stations really is (fixed/unfixed)?

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Tue, 15. Apr 08, 16:06

I'd like to install the latest FCC, but i've stumbled on the first step, configuring the hotkeys.
I am already using lots of extra keys for other scripts.
I like the suggested shortcuts ( on the manual) however I use those the GMS (attack, protect...).

So I have 3 questions:

1 - If I were to use the same keys I am using for the GMS
(SHIFT-KEYPAD) would they clash or do the FCC keys only come into action when building?

2 - Depending on the answer to question 1, can the hotkeys be made to be functional only when building?
If am not making any sense, what I mean is for ex.
while flying "Ins" = Target next ...
while in sector map view "Ins" = Change to Z axis.

3 - Could Caps/Scroll/Num lock be used together with other keys to extend the Pool of hot keys?

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Tue, 15. Apr 08, 16:41

1. They'll clash.
2. Not that I know of - they're all 'in flight' hotkeys.
3. Not that I know of - only shift seems to work as a modifier.

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Tue, 15. Apr 08, 17:24

Carlo the Curious wrote:1. They'll clash.
2. Not that I know of - they're all 'in flight' hotkeys.
3. Not that I know of - only shift seems to work as a modifier.
Thanks.

I was hoping for a different answer though, now my head 's going to hurt trying to sort out the hotkeys.

spoidz
x3tc

Post by spoidz » Wed, 16. Apr 08, 00:05

Brinnie,

Although you still have to change the keys, you can also run separate key profiles.

Save your current GMS profile under a custom name.

Then just change the keys real quick, just for FCC. Then save that profile under a different name.

Then you can just load the FCC profile for when you need to build, and you can load the GMS profile for (probably) most of your other game time.

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Wed, 16. Apr 08, 04:54

Of course! *smacks forehead*

Jakesnake5
x4

Post by Jakesnake5 » Wed, 16. Apr 08, 05:00

Amazing when it turns out the obvious has been chewing on your leg the whole time. :D
Perfection is in the hands of God, we bags of dirt can only do the best we can©
[ external image ]
Modders are a source of ideas to help the Game Makers improve what they have made. Cherrish them, for they are the fruit of thy labors.©

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Wed, 16. Apr 08, 10:50

Thank You Spoidz,
spoidz wrote:...Although you still have to change the keys, you can also run separate key profiles.
that is quite brilliant.

-

ps. is FCC OK with XTM.

spoidz
x3tc

Post by spoidz » Wed, 16. Apr 08, 13:15

Brinnie,

Yes, I've never had any issues with any of my XTM starts.

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Wed, 16. Apr 08, 13:40

spoidz wrote:Brinnie,

Yes, I've never had any issues with any of my XTM starts.
Thanks again.

I'm gonna get started then, I just skimmed through the manual and it looked a bit complicated.

spoidz
x3tc

Post by spoidz » Wed, 16. Apr 08, 14:04

brinnie,

It's really easy if you just take your time. Also there is a fail-safe that when you are moving a factory, it won't allow you to move it on top of another station so you can avoid crashing them together.

A few tips:

Always use F3 to look at the station you are moving and then zoom out to see where it is in relation to the next one.

Whenever you drop a station, after you un-fix it with the FCC, hit Shift-P twice and it will set the station at zero rotation and facing the default way. Move all your stations at default rot/facing and they will be easier to line up.

Once you get close to the other stations set your movement/rotation steps [shift-(-)] (shift-ins) to the smallest amount and then you can fine tune their location to the next station.

When you connect the first two stations, you can place the HUB pretty far from the top of the stations. That way your ships will never need to drive under all the connector tubing. This also allows you to make the stations under that as messy as you want, I don't worry about aligning connection points anymore.

IMPORTANT: After the first two stations are connected. From then on every new station gets connected to the original HUB (complex).

1 - Drop new station, move to location.

2 - Drop new HUB and then select NEW station first.

3 - Select original HUB (complex) second.

I usually place my solar power plants at the top of any complex and then FCC-move all the rest of the stations up close under that. Just spread them out up under the SPP and then connect them without worrying about pretty tubing.

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Wed, 16. Apr 08, 14:19

What can I say? It is going to sound repetitive but:

Thanks, Again.

The first thing I am going to do is install FCC and try your tips.

I'll need some money though, I spent most of my credits last night on 10 factories which I have already added (the old way) to my complex.

EDIT

--- Saving a Reference Point:

I accidentally put 1 down, how do I remove it?

Rhadamant
x4

Post by Rhadamant » Thu, 1. May 08, 04:41

Use your unfix hotkey and it will remove.

spoidz
x3tc

Post by spoidz » Thu, 1. May 08, 06:13

EDIT: Maybe you found your answer while I was typing.

The only way I would think would be the Advanced Tractor Beam where you towed it into final exact 0,0,0, but might also cause going crazy trying.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=149343

The only other chance might be Complex Cleaner (I haven't used) but it has a function to move stations to a new position while keeping the complex functioning. Maybe the "move" portion is that exact.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... ight=tubes

The only other way I guess would be to try to drop the station exactly in the first place. You can try manually but I realize that it may be hard to lock the cursor to find 0,0,0 as well.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”