[SCRIPT] Find SQUASH mines - updated 2007/08/04

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

B-O'F
x3tc

[SCRIPT] Find SQUASH mines - updated 2007/08/04

Post by B-O'F » Wed, 7. Feb 07, 00:17

BOF Find SQUASH mines

Updated - 2007-08-04
1.01 - removed command from fighter drones
1.0 - 2007-02-06

Description:

Fed-up with losing your ships to those pesky SQUASH mines that some idiot has left littering the spaceways ???

Yeah, me too - but I have done something about it...

After a lot of time playing with the various upgrades available, I have found that a Freight Scanner can have its software modded and linked to your Duplex or Triplex scanner. This combination then detects Squash mines - just a little extra program added in - real easy when you know how, and I know how - well 40 years programming did help a little bit.

After fitting this modification to your Freight Scanner, all you have to do is go to your Piracy commands (well.. not everyone agrees that changing a Freight Scanner is strictly legit..). There you will see a new command 'Find Squash mines'.

Enter 1, and any SQUASH mines within scanner range (that's your Duplex or Triplex scanner range by the way) will then be shown on your Navigation map.. You can then target them like anything else - and shoot them or send them a missile as a present, or even get real close - if your shields are strong enough.

There's also a little bit extra in this software - if you enter 0, it will destroy those perishing mines - except some in a particular pirate sector.. they appear to be a bit different to the ordinary SQUASH mines, and don't respond to the commands I send them.. but it is only a few, not really worth bothering with.

Why am I telling you all this? well if you go around and clear them mines, it makes my life easier as well - saves me losing ships just because I haven't checked a sector yet.

---------------------------------------------

Uses:
Command slot : Piracy command 634
Text id : 8895
Page id : 8895
Requires : Freight Scanner

--------------------------------------------

Script are in .spk and .xml formats, both in this .zip file. Courtesy of Xai Corporation
Install as you prefer.

Enjoy,
Boron - Ol Fh'art
Last edited by B-O'F on Sat, 4. Aug 07, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.
Public Service announcement

Growing old is not a disease - it is a delayed symptom of birth trauma.

draffutt
x4

Post by draffutt » Sat, 4. Aug 07, 12:34

can you update this so this command is not listed in the fighter drone menu?

also i think the 0 is a little to powerful. right now it feels like a cheat and from the readme above i don't think that was the intent but i could be wrong. this is your script but as it stands i really don't see a point in using option 1.

some suggestions use any or none.

1. limit option 0 and 1 to the size of a ship. ( i am not sure of these numbers) but for instance if the triplex is able to scan out to a range of 5k then limit it so mines are 100% found at half the distance of the scanner and randomize the rest of the distance to fighter class ships (you can always say it is due to the power requirement). and 90% for the bigger ships (10% for fun missed due to some reason or other (behind some asteroid, some anomely, etc.....)

2. option 0 maybe instead have it so the ship flys to each that it found and destroy individually.

-or-

3. if you keep the original intent but using suggestion 1 limit it so i can only destroy those within a limited range determined by the size of the ship (bigger ships means a larger range can be destroyed) or even have the fighers only be able to destroy by flying to each and have the bigger ships by remote but determined by size how many can be.

-and or-

4. include sometype of impairment. since this is going to use power to find and or destroy those mines remotely pull power from the shields. more squash mines = more power to find. more mines = even greater power to destroy.
Last edited by draffutt on Sat, 4. Aug 07, 16:53, edited 2 times in total.
None of us is as smart as all of us. ~Ken Blanchard

TC player bug fixes
Reunion player bug fixes

B-O'F
x3tc

Post by B-O'F » Sat, 4. Aug 07, 15:47

Hi draffutt,

Slow down - you are breaking my scripts faster than I can mend them...

I will correct the error that fighter drones show the command - it should be up there soon, I will post here when it is available..

Option 1 is still useful - even after option 2 has been used in a certain sector - Loo's, as it will show the mines still existing....

As to your other suggestions - they will be looked at, but not immediately as I have some other work on at the moment - there are a few good ideas there...

Boron - Ol Fh'art

B-O'F
x3tc

Post by B-O'F » Sat, 4. Aug 07, 16:46

Updated version available - minor update to stop the command showing on fighter drones.

Boron - Ol Fh'art

dostillevi
x3

Post by dostillevi » Fri, 24. Aug 07, 02:08

is the zip file corrupt? I can't open it :(

edit: 7-zip couldn't open it, winrar extracted it correctly... odd :(

B-O'F
x3tc

Post by B-O'F » Fri, 24. Aug 07, 12:51

Hi dostillevi,

That is odd. I compress with ZipGenius, and that reads the file correctly, so does XP's built-in zip facility...

I hope that you enjoy using the script,

Boron - Ol Fh'art

Wraith
x3ap

Post by Wraith » Sun, 30. Sep 07, 17:31

I'm having trouble getting this to work. I downloaded the zip file above and extracted the spk file, but when I try to install it in the plug-in manager it gives me an error message reading
"No old version of the package found, unable to update package."

Is this only an update and if so, where can I find the full version?

draffutt
x4

Post by draffutt » Sun, 30. Sep 07, 18:01

open the .spk with package manager about 1/3 of the way down you'll see here it says script type. change it from package update (second option) to the third option (choose ship command or other). it will install now under installer.

that .spk you have is the full version.

TC player bug fixes
Reunion player bug fixes

B-O'F
x3tc

Post by B-O'F » Mon, 1. Oct 07, 11:26

Hi draffutt,

Thanks for helping out. I hadn't realised that I had packaged this as an update version.

@Wraith: I am sorry that my error caused you problems, I hope that you enjoy the script when you get it working.

As ever, you are covered under the lifetime guarantee (see my sig for details). If you are not happy with the script, then return it, and you will receive a full refund of the price you paid for it.

Enjoy,

Boron - Ol Fh'art

Wraith
x3ap

Post by Wraith » Mon, 1. Oct 07, 19:26

Still can't get this to work. Is the package manager different to the various options that come with Cycrows installer? I've opened the spk in both the packager and the SPK explorer that came with version 2.12 of the installer.

With both of them I get 4 files - A readme file, 2 scripts files (the setup and the main file) and a T file.

They all open up when I double click them, but I can't find anything in them that says script type.

Bear in mind that I know nothing about scripting other than that needed to install them in the manager and get the Script Editor in game open.

I can PM an e-mail address if it would be easier to send me a copy than explain the fix. (if you could also get it to get rid of those mines rather than refusing to destroy them then even better ;))

draffutt
x4

Post by draffutt » Mon, 1. Oct 07, 21:57

TC player bug fixes
Reunion player bug fixes

B-O'F
x3tc

Post by B-O'F » Tue, 2. Oct 07, 13:29

Hi draffutt,

Thanks again for the assistance - I almost forgive you for breaking so many of my scripts (not really, you were forgiven when you first pointed out the errors)..

@ Wraith: Hi Wraith, that was a deliberate decision to leave those mines, otherwise it could be used as a cheat.... have you looked at the map after destroying the other mines - those mines make a lovely question mark - ? - so a dev went to a lot of trouble to create this, and I did not want to spoil his/her work of art.

Boron - Ol Fh'art

draffutt
x4

Post by draffutt » Tue, 2. Oct 07, 17:23

glad i could be of help :wink:

so when could i help break some more? :P

TC player bug fixes
Reunion player bug fixes

B-O'F
x3tc

Post by B-O'F » Tue, 2. Oct 07, 22:16

Hi draffutt,

You are welcome to break any of my scripts at any time (as is anyone else - if they ain't right, make 'em right) - but I think that you have been through them pretty thoroughly .. serves you right, you have nothing left to break.

Scripts that I am working on are for a mod - so they won't be out for quite a while - I am busy getting a lot of background information first, to try and make it authentic (in the X-Universe ??) and cohesive.

Enjoy whatever you are doing, and thanks again for the assistance.

Boron - Ol Fh'art

Pogi
x2

Post by Pogi » Fri, 28. Mar 08, 02:58

Hi BOF...Love your script...Is there anyway that I can remove the option to "destroy" the mines once found and identified?...I would like to use my Mosquito missles to destroy them instead , but, having the option to destroy them another way makes me weak..lol

If you could tell me what to do I will attempt it myself, or post another version would be nice too...Thanks
X3..The most fun a man can have...With his clothes on.

B-O'F
x3tc

Post by B-O'F » Fri, 28. Mar 08, 09:25

Hi pogi,

Long time no hear... and you still like my script? - have you no taste?

No problem with the request, it is simple to change.

In the script 'bof.find.squash.mines':-

line 012 is currently blank, so change it to

Code: Select all

$do.what = 1
Then select the input argument line, near the top of the script, and press delete.

Then save..

This will give a script that will only identify the squash mines - with no options, so you won't be tempted....

Have fun,

Boron - Ol Fh'art

Pogi
x2

Post by Pogi » Fri, 28. Mar 08, 10:40

Thanks BOF..Like and use all your stuff....Um.., except the banking script, have not tried that one yet..maybe soon...Cheers :D

Pogi
x2

Post by Pogi » Fri, 28. Mar 08, 17:45

Mission accomplished working good...Hmmm..Is it possible to do away with the "options" all together and make the script to where when you select "find squash mines" it gives you a response such as "command accepted", does the job of locating them, with "no" incoming message?

Again, I would be willing to try and edit it myself with a little( scratch that...lots) of BOF help. :D ..Thanks

B-O'F
x3tc

Post by B-O'F » Sat, 29. Mar 08, 01:08

Hi pogi,

Sorry for the delay in replying, but I have had rather a lot to do.. saw your post, then had to fire up the games machine to check out my earlier suggestion - add the line of code, and delete the input argument...

It worked correctly, no options choice -- after I did something that I forgot in the post above - you need to re-init the cache, or save and re-load... Sorry, I forgot this step.. I mean, everyone knows about this... and forgets it....

It now just works without any input request from the player - and no chance of being tempted (but I like temptation, I just can't resist it).

Sorry for the oversight,

The banking script is quite good, with a very flexible input system - but no interest is paid, and no charges are levied. The maximum amount you can have in the bank is limited to about 2 billion billion - just enough I think.....

Boron - Ol Fh'art

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 10. May 08, 07:37

B-O'F wrote: It now just works without any input request from the player - and no chance of being tempted (but I like temptation, I just can't resist it).
There would have been a far easier fix anyway.
Take a knife or other similiar tool and pluck the "0" key out of the keyboard for playing X3.
It's what I do with all windows keys.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”