[Bonus Plugin] Afterburner

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Argo_PD
x3

Post by Argo_PD » Thu, 26. Oct 06, 23:04

theres a bug reporting thread in the technical support forum i think but i heard cycrow had already fixed it

btw. how do you turn off the afterburner?
Niggard Industries. Defending the wealth

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Fri, 27. Oct 06, 00:12

seems im abit slow recently, someone keeps beating me at merging threads :P

but that bug should be fixed in the current test version, theres jsut a few more things we are looking into before it will be offically released

Coshy
x3

Post by Coshy » Fri, 27. Oct 06, 12:38

I managed to get my computer to boot up, so I've got a bit more info that may or may not be important.

I'm using Bonus Pack 3.1.04, patched to the latest version of X3. I have the following scripts installed:

BBS Extras and Xenon Migration by Cycrow
Cargo Delivery Service by Klaatu
Tractor Beam Factory Recreator by Xylaan
LV's Cheats by LV

While it sounds like y'all are well on the way to fixing this, I figured it wouldnt hurt to provide the little bit of info I have. If it helps, great, if its extraneous ... then I want the last 10 min of my life back.

:lol:

inkalsecurity
x3

Post by inkalsecurity » Mon, 30. Oct 06, 13:35

A nice work Cycrow!
A question though:
why is there no visual effect when the afterburner is activated?
I mean, you could see the engine flame shorten/grow when decelerating, accelerating, but the afterburner looks like max speed. It should have some effect, maybe something like the flame effect when you're hit by a missile - positioned after the engine... can it be done?
Just a tought - btw: excellent job!

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Mon, 30. Oct 06, 16:51

inkalsecurity wrote:...
why is there no visual effect when the afterburner is activated?
because this is a script not a mod. And changing the visual effects requires a mod.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Wed, 15. Nov 06, 13:01

Wanted to ask...
1. Do you think it could be possible to make an afterburner device that when in use disabilitates guns (a sort of cruise engine).. let's say to be used in a mod where sectors are much bigger and distances too...Does such a mod exist?? ((Galaxy Editor makes possible max 4-5000 km wide sectors)).
2. Is there a way to make also computer ships use afterburner... I was able to destroy an entire Xenon sector with only one M2 becouse I could flee when my shields were down... too advantage for the player.

Thaks a lot for your scripts that made my game a new one!!!

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Wed, 15. Nov 06, 13:11

Don't know if it is usefull to know, but...
I happened 2-3 times that activating afterb. during hevy combat situat. it "cracked" the engine of the ship that remained forever overthrusted.. so an Hydra MKIII had a default 536 m/s speed, Otas Reaper too (560) (both from Extended Mod) but also an M2 Python (320) just at its first activation (no combat sit.)...

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 15. Nov 06, 13:16

1. I think such mod is called Firelance. SETA disabled and replaced with long distance overdrive, or something.

2. AFAIK computer ships do not strafe, use docking computer, boost, or do other 'smart' things. And if they would use AB, they would need energy for that. Seen Xenon buying gas lately? And if they would not need energy, they would be on as much as possible.

One can clear entire Xenon sector with one M2 even without the Afterburner. If you do not need it, do not use it.
Cycrow wrote:but that bug should be fixed in the current test version, theres jsut a few more things we are looking into before it will be offically released
That explains your "cracking". Only a couple comments ago on this thread.

And Realspace, there is an "Edit" button. No need to post more than one comment at a time.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 15. Nov 06, 17:51

the stickying speed of the afterburner has been fixed.

as for preventing wepaons from working, that wouldn't exactly work, as its used as a combat device, which wouldn't be much good in combat if you have no weapons.

however, like jlehtone said, there is such a device in Firelance called the Slipstream drive, but this device might be released seperatly at some point depending on the future of Firelance.

As for the AI using the afterburner. it has been designed for the AI to actually use it, the problem is when theyshould use it, which ships should install it, how they will get energy cells to power it, etc
but even for these, the basic navigation scripts need to be edited to make use for the AI to use it

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Wed, 15. Nov 06, 18:13

Cycrow wrote:the stickying speed of the afterburner has been fixed.

as for preventing wepaons from working, that wouldn't exactly work, as its used as a combat device, which wouldn't be much good in combat if you have no weapons.

however, like jlehtone said, there is such a device in Firelance called the Slipstream drive, but this device might be released seperatly at some point depending on the future of Firelance.

As for the AI using the afterburner. it has been designed for the AI to actually use it, the problem is when theyshould use it, which ships should install it, how they will get energy cells to power it, etc
but even for these, the basic navigation scripts need to be edited to make use for the AI to use it
Ok, thanks for the so quick answer!! :)
I see I didn't consider all the points of NPS behaviour which is lacking in many other aspects... so if I want everybody faster it's better to change the default speed of all ships.

Anyway I liked so much my superM2 kicking the ass of xenons goimng at 320 m/s :D ... thus thanks for all the script...

YBnorml
x3

Post by YBnorml » Thu, 16. Nov 06, 03:53

I know this is sorta out of date now, but LuxxCapacitor's story had both my staff & myself here at the studio laughing our heads off because we could relate to this and the panic Luxx must have felt. Glad to hear it's been fixed.

Shame there isn't some kind of newspaper in realtionship about this or the story be turned into a BBS news story about the testing of the AB in it's early stage of use this would have made fun reading while setting in a station reading the BBS Report from the Pilot or something like this.

Thank you for giving us a great laugh best story I've read in awhile
:lol:
Virtual is reality...
Y B Nor M/L

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 16. Nov 06, 04:13

YBnorml wrote:Shame there isn't some kind of newspaper in realtionship about this or the story be turned into a BBS news story about the testing of the AB in it's early stage of use this would have made fun reading while setting in a station reading the BBS Report from the Pilot or something like this.
what makes you think there wont be ? ;)

Mad Ashy
x3

Post by Mad Ashy » Tue, 21. Nov 06, 16:36

Will my fighters in attack all enemys mode use the afterburner?
Will my traders use the afterburner?

Is it an upgrade only useful for my own current ship?

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Tue, 21. Nov 06, 17:50

yeah, currently only you can use the afterburner

Graphil
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x3tc

Post by Graphil » Thu, 30. Nov 06, 14:08

Graphil

There are two secrets to life: 1) Don't tell everything you know...

R.Bootneck
x4

Post by R.Bootneck » Thu, 14. Dec 06, 09:15

Not sure if this is really a bug or a "feature"

Using the latest signed version of the script(from latest bonus pack)
Installed Mk1 on the Hyperion M7, the ships top speed is now over 4000 m/s. Even after transferring the Extension into another unused ship, the altered speed remains the same.

I havn't tried activating the afterburner on any othership to see if the same effects arise. I apreciate the M7 was added after the script was beta tested/signed..

FWIW
Fresh install of X3 to latest version
Latest bonus pack installed
Only other mod installed is Crycows AL plugin for the G15 kbd (not relevant I know)

Thanks

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 14. Dec 06, 10:32

its a known bug that has already been fixed,, and will be available when the next bonus pack is released. Not sure when that will be, all i know is that the new afterburn has sbeen ready for release for awhile now

R.Bootneck
x4

Post by R.Bootneck » Thu, 14. Dec 06, 20:59

He He nice one.

I'm still undecided if i like the bug as is or not, makes those gassy sectors interesting. or ultra high speed games of chicken with a Kha'ak battle groups :D

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Thu, 14. Dec 06, 21:04

heh high speede games of chicken...
how about killing 13 or so pirate owned m3s with a nova vanguard that goes 377? (650 ish with ab on)
I eventually decided that i didnot really need the extra speed, and sold it.
But still... that many m3s, i should have lost. ... granted, it might have helped that i ran away every now and then and bombarded them with missles :P

bunk
x3

stuck afterburner

Post by bunk » Tue, 19. Dec 06, 06:45

Can't get the afterburner to stop when I hit the hotkey again. Need to jump on the "z" key and play a bit to slow without losing shields. Any suggestions what's wrong with the hot key?
Player of computer space games since 1975!

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”