[Bonus Plugin] Afterburner

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

pmenso57
x4

Post by pmenso57 » Wed, 18. Oct 06, 12:30

Cycrow wrote:the difference between auto and manual activation, is that when you activate it, the ship does an attack run on a fake target infront of the ship, the attack run lasts for 1ms. what this does is causes the auto pilot to set the maximum speed and start accelerating, onces its finished, you should be able to control the speed as you want. But as you can prolly guess, 1ms is not alot of time ;)

best thing to do would be to keep testing to c if it happens again.

i am however working on a few fixes, so they might sort out the problem, althou the fixes arn't directly related to the speed
I have the same issue as Luxx. I used the Afterburner MK2 on my Raptor, and now my Raptor goes up to 412 by default, and way higher with the Afterburner turned on. I tried to reproduce the problem with my Colossus, but my maximum speed went back to normal when I turned the Afterburner off.

zooze
xr

Problem with Bonus Pack 3.1.04 - Afterburner Bug

Post by zooze » Fri, 20. Oct 06, 23:29

This was posted once before when 3.1.04 (if I remember rightly) and I think it was a problem with the argon titan and Afterburner MK2.

Well I've just recently tonight found the same problem with the MK1 Afterburner on my Split Mamba Raider.

For some reason my normal ship speed is 600 and with the afterburner its 1000. Instead of 200 and 600 respectively.

Even changing ships or saving and reloading doesn't affect the afterburner stats on this ship. Has anyone seen this before, I have a savegame also. Kindest regards

Zoozer

Kortako
x4

Post by Kortako » Fri, 20. Oct 06, 23:39

That's happened to me before on some random occasions. The speed seems to get "stuck" every once in a blue moon, and it'll add the ship speed tunings permanently. If you really want to fix it and go back to your old speed, go to an equipment dock and "sell" your engine tunings back to the dock.

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Fri, 20. Oct 06, 23:56

do you/did you have the unsigned afterburner scripit installed?

Nestan
x3tc

Post by Nestan » Sat, 21. Oct 06, 01:50

Well I am having the same problem but I have figured out what (in game) is causing it and have a work-around until Cycrow can figure out what to do about it. For some reason when turning off your afterburner sometimes the script thinks its already off when you try to turn it off and so it turns it back on. If you press the hotkey again then it turns the afterburner on twice thus giving you an insane speed. I find this bug takes place far more often if you dont give the plugin any time after turning it on before trying to turn it off again. I replicated this bug on my Terran Ageir (speed 136) and after mashing the button many times got that baby up to like 1200m/s. It still turned like a brick so it was just hilarious to cross the entire sector in like 10 seconds and then take another 10 just to turn the baby around. Anyway for the time being I just reload my latest save if the bug occurs so my stock speed isnt changed. If you dont have a recent save I believe you can dock at any equipment dock and you will see a huge negative number under engine tunings. You can buy engine tunings to bring your ship speed back to default. I can't say for sure if this bug would exist if the bonus plugin was installed on a vanilla X3 install without having the prior afterburner stand-alone plugin but I do know even after uninstalling the previous version and making sure my ships had ejected their Afterburners and then buying them new there was still the hotkeys in my control panel for the stand-alone and bonusplugin version of this script. Cyrcow's hotkey remover thats somewhere in this thread removed the duplicate Auot Afterburner hotkey but not the manual-afterburner. Doesnt seem to matter though which hotkey I use they all work but they all have the same bug in my game. This isnt a flame though Cyrcow as I am happy at the moment and dont mind if it takes you ages to figure out how to fix it. The script is still a great addition to my game.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sat, 21. Oct 06, 05:13

well, i did make a new version that possibly fixed the problem, but im waiting for the script signing team to make it avaialble.

it makes a few changes, one of them is to prevent you from pressing the hotkey too quickly to allow it to turn on or off before it works again

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Sat, 21. Oct 06, 05:33

you have? I've not seen it.
I was just about to ask how you were coming along with a fix.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sat, 21. Oct 06, 06:28

i emailed it awhile ago, to both ur address and scripts@egosoft.com did you not get it ?

zooze
xr

Post by zooze » Sat, 21. Oct 06, 10:56

Kortako wrote:That's happened to me before on some random occasions. The speed seems to get "stuck" every once in a blue moon, and it'll add the ship speed tunings permanently. If you really want to fix it and go back to your old speed, go to an equipment dock and "sell" your engine tunings back to the dock.
Many thanks for this, that worked, kindest regards

Zoozer

zooze
xr

Post by zooze » Sat, 21. Oct 06, 10:58

moggy2 wrote:do you/did you have the unsigned afterburner scripit installed?
Nope just a vanilla install of X3 + 1.4.03 patch + bonus pack.

Zooze

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Sat, 21. Oct 06, 14:47

Cycrow wrote:i emailed it awhile ago, to both ur address and scripts@egosoft.com did you not get it ?
nope. strange, I'm not supposed to have spam filters active. (already been through that pain once of spam filters filtering out emails that mention the word script :evil: )

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 23. Oct 06, 10:21

Kortako wrote:The speed seems to get "stuck" every once in a blue moon
Seems like "blue moon" equals "every time". :wink:

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Mon, 23. Oct 06, 16:27

Hi Cycrow,

Nice work on another (!) script :-)

Befor eI get a chance to try it out, I have a question I haven't seen asked here yet:

-Do non-player-owned ships use this script or only the player-flown ship?

I remember a similar script for X2 where they did.

Cheers,
Sparky

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 23. Oct 06, 17:31

only the player can use it for now.

however, it has been designed to work on any ship, the AI just doesn't know how to activate it yet.

the one for X2 in the bonus pack also only worked on the players ship

Coshy
x3

Another Afterburner Bug

Post by Coshy » Thu, 26. Oct 06, 22:55

It appears that if you hold down the boost extension button and then repeatedly turn the afterburner off and on, you can significantly increase the speed of your ship.

I tried it out on 2 ships, an elephant and a dragon, it worked both times. oth ships seemed to top out at 7714, I couldnt get them to go any faster. I experienced a CTD when I tried the first time with the Dragon, however on the restart it worked fine.

I'm not sure if this is related in anyway or not but my HDD crashed and burned. It doesnt seem to be spinning up. The HDD is about 8 years old, so this is probably nothing more than an odd coincidence.

Since I don't currently have a machine to run X3 on, I am unable to proceed further with this bug investigation. I figured if I could replicated the bug in a number of different ships, it might give Egosoft a little more information on where they need to start their investigation. Also I cant seem to easily find a 'bug reporting' link, so maybe posting it here will get it some attention.

System Specs:
2.4g Intel chip
P4p800-e Asus Mobo
512 Kingston Ram
Nvidia 6800
Running a fresh install of Winsows XP Home w/SP2
Drivers probably arent up to date TBH, but I dont think a driver would cause an Elephant to go faster than the speed of light :wink:

I'm not sure when I'll get to another computer to post again, but if there is an error reporting link and I've missed it, I hope one of our fine moderators will move this to the appropriate place.

Argo_PD
x3

Post by Argo_PD » Thu, 26. Oct 06, 23:04

theres a bug reporting thread in the technical support forum i think but i heard cycrow had already fixed it

btw. how do you turn off the afterburner?
Niggard Industries. Defending the wealth

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Fri, 27. Oct 06, 00:12

seems im abit slow recently, someone keeps beating me at merging threads :P

but that bug should be fixed in the current test version, theres jsut a few more things we are looking into before it will be offically released

Coshy
x3

Post by Coshy » Fri, 27. Oct 06, 12:38

I managed to get my computer to boot up, so I've got a bit more info that may or may not be important.

I'm using Bonus Pack 3.1.04, patched to the latest version of X3. I have the following scripts installed:

BBS Extras and Xenon Migration by Cycrow
Cargo Delivery Service by Klaatu
Tractor Beam Factory Recreator by Xylaan
LV's Cheats by LV

While it sounds like y'all are well on the way to fixing this, I figured it wouldnt hurt to provide the little bit of info I have. If it helps, great, if its extraneous ... then I want the last 10 min of my life back.

:lol:

inkalsecurity
x3

Post by inkalsecurity » Mon, 30. Oct 06, 13:35

A nice work Cycrow!
A question though:
why is there no visual effect when the afterburner is activated?
I mean, you could see the engine flame shorten/grow when decelerating, accelerating, but the afterburner looks like max speed. It should have some effect, maybe something like the flame effect when you're hit by a missile - positioned after the engine... can it be done?
Just a tought - btw: excellent job!

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Mon, 30. Oct 06, 16:51

inkalsecurity wrote:...
why is there no visual effect when the afterburner is activated?
because this is a script not a mod. And changing the visual effects requires a mod.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”