[Bonus Plugin] Afterburner

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 15. Oct 06, 21:22

even so, this was one of the main things that was tested, and i know i could never make it do something like that.

as for the changing of the speed, thats most strange, the afterburner only effectivly increase the max speed of the ship, it doesn't actually adjust the ships current speed. So it would suggest something else is controlling the ships speed, possible a joystick throttle is causing problems with it ?

you can simply fix it by docking at the equipment dock and buying engine tunings, it will display a negative number, and buying them will restore the ship to its normal max speed.

when you was trying to fix it, did you keep pressing the hotkey ? its post u started the afterburner while in the middle of stopping it, ie it hadn't completly stopped when you tryed starting it again causing it to get locked.

if thats the case, then i think it can be fixed, if its anything else however, it will require more testing to find the cause

LuxxCapacitor
x3tc

Post by LuxxCapacitor » Mon, 16. Oct 06, 00:49

As far as I remember, it acted strange the first time I activated it.

Afterwards I tried activating/deactivating quickly in attempt to stop my ship. My regular accelerate and decceleration keys weren't helping. If I tried to manually decrease speed, it would jump back up within seconds. My full-stop (backspace) was completely useless.

Thanks for the tip, though, I'll dock at an equipmet dock and see if it helps get it back to normal.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 16. Oct 06, 00:52

thats very strange behavious, especially as scripts cant actually controll the speed of the ship.

are you using a joystick to play the game ?

LuxxCapacitor
x3tc

Post by LuxxCapacitor » Mon, 16. Oct 06, 00:54

No I don't use a joystick of any sort, just my mouse and keyboard.

Even though I know nothing about X3 scripting, in my opinion it felt like the auto afterburner was the thing that gave me the acceleration problems. Even when I managed to get my ship back under control, I couldn't get a full stop. I kept creeping forward at low speeds until I quickly activated and deactivated the auto afterburner once again.

I hope this helps.

g04tn4d0
x4

Post by g04tn4d0 » Mon, 16. Oct 06, 00:58

Nice work, Cycrow. 8)

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 16. Oct 06, 01:36

the difference between auto and manual activation, is that when you activate it, the ship does an attack run on a fake target infront of the ship, the attack run lasts for 1ms. what this does is causes the auto pilot to set the maximum speed and start accelerating, onces its finished, you should be able to control the speed as you want. But as you can prolly guess, 1ms is not alot of time ;)

best thing to do would be to keep testing to c if it happens again.

i am however working on a few fixes, so they might sort out the problem, althou the fixes arn't directly related to the speed

Nestan
x3tc

Post by Nestan » Mon, 16. Oct 06, 02:16

I was using the old bonus pack and the seperate Afterburner 1.32 script until the new bonus pack came out. I deactivated and then delated Afterburner from inside Cycrow Script Manager then loaded my save and reinit scripts then saved my game then exited and updated my bonus pack. Now I have a problem because in my control settings I have two sets of Auto/Manual afterburner hotkeys and neither one of them work correctly. One has hot pink color text if that helps, all of the hotkeys do the same thing though, they eat up my shields no matter how much E-cells I have. I had not even got around to buying an afterburner for any of my ships on my current game as I restarted about three days before this update. Any idea how I can fix this as it makes the mod useless if my shields are low because then it just eats my hull too :(

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 16. Oct 06, 02:23

if you wait until tommorow, ill make a script to remove the hotkeys for the 1.32

Nestan
x3tc

Post by Nestan » Mon, 16. Oct 06, 02:29

so this is normal then and I didnt screw anything up myself? That would be a relief :) I can happily wait until tomorrow. Will this remover your making fix my save game so the new afterburner uses E-cells if I have them?

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 16. Oct 06, 02:36

well i dont know what the problem with that is, this will remove the hotkeys, but it might fix the problem, have to wait and c

grbaker
x4

Post by grbaker » Mon, 16. Oct 06, 07:42

Not sure this helps but ... I've been using the Manual afterburner (Mk1) with spaceflies and energy cells (no diff there) usually often when I hit 'b' key (which I set to afterBurner) , after burner starts, then I have to hit the tab key to make it use the speed avaliable.

Once or twice I have hit the 'b' key and it uses all the speed straight away.

As far as I can remember the throttle on my joystick was set to full in all cases.

(ps, nice work).

<Edit> btw is the after burner speed percentage based?

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 16. Oct 06, 09:19

grbaker wrote:<Edit> btw is the after burner speed percentage based?
I would assume temporary extra tunings.

The Tships file has "Max engine tunings" and "Max speed". "Max engine tunings" (MET) is how many tunings you can buy.

Speed increment (SE) is "Max speed" / ( 10 + MET ).

Current max speed is SE * ( 10 + tunings ). When you buy the ship, tunings are 0, so the untuned speed is 10 * SE. But nothing prevents the script from adding more tunings than MET.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 16. Oct 06, 15:17

I just remembered that some refer certain ships brick-like. It would be obvious to have a "Inertia nullifier" upgrade similar to Afterburner that would boost the rudder of those poor vessels. Naturally, Afterburner and the "on-the-dime-turner" ought to be somewhat mutually exclusive.

Or "Thrust Redirector", which would temporarily remove all engine tunings and add corresponding amount of rudder tunings. Obviously, the fighters would rarely use that function.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 16. Oct 06, 16:41

Nestan wrote:I was using the old bonus pack and the seperate Afterburner 1.32 script until the new bonus pack came out. I deactivated and then delated Afterburner from inside Cycrow Script Manager then loaded my save and reinit scripts then saved my game then exited and updated my bonus pack. Now I have a problem because in my control settings I have two sets of Auto/Manual afterburner hotkeys and neither one of them work correctly. One has hot pink color text if that helps, all of the hotkeys do the same thing though, they eat up my shields no matter how much E-cells I have. I had not even got around to buying an afterburner for any of my ships on my current game as I restarted about three days before this update. Any idea how I can fix this as it makes the mod useless if my shields are low because then it just eats my hull too :(
Extract this to the scripts directory and manually run it
http://x3.ircwhore.co.uk/plugin.afterburn.removekey.rar
this will unregister the hotkeys from the old version

Nestan
x3tc

Post by Nestan » Mon, 16. Oct 06, 17:24

you rock thanks alot cycrow :D

pmenso57
x4

Post by pmenso57 » Wed, 18. Oct 06, 12:30

Cycrow wrote:the difference between auto and manual activation, is that when you activate it, the ship does an attack run on a fake target infront of the ship, the attack run lasts for 1ms. what this does is causes the auto pilot to set the maximum speed and start accelerating, onces its finished, you should be able to control the speed as you want. But as you can prolly guess, 1ms is not alot of time ;)

best thing to do would be to keep testing to c if it happens again.

i am however working on a few fixes, so they might sort out the problem, althou the fixes arn't directly related to the speed
I have the same issue as Luxx. I used the Afterburner MK2 on my Raptor, and now my Raptor goes up to 412 by default, and way higher with the Afterburner turned on. I tried to reproduce the problem with my Colossus, but my maximum speed went back to normal when I turned the Afterburner off.

zooze
xr

Problem with Bonus Pack 3.1.04 - Afterburner Bug

Post by zooze » Fri, 20. Oct 06, 23:29

This was posted once before when 3.1.04 (if I remember rightly) and I think it was a problem with the argon titan and Afterburner MK2.

Well I've just recently tonight found the same problem with the MK1 Afterburner on my Split Mamba Raider.

For some reason my normal ship speed is 600 and with the afterburner its 1000. Instead of 200 and 600 respectively.

Even changing ships or saving and reloading doesn't affect the afterburner stats on this ship. Has anyone seen this before, I have a savegame also. Kindest regards

Zoozer

Kortako
x4

Post by Kortako » Fri, 20. Oct 06, 23:39

That's happened to me before on some random occasions. The speed seems to get "stuck" every once in a blue moon, and it'll add the ship speed tunings permanently. If you really want to fix it and go back to your old speed, go to an equipment dock and "sell" your engine tunings back to the dock.

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Fri, 20. Oct 06, 23:56

do you/did you have the unsigned afterburner scripit installed?

Nestan
x3tc

Post by Nestan » Sat, 21. Oct 06, 01:50

Well I am having the same problem but I have figured out what (in game) is causing it and have a work-around until Cycrow can figure out what to do about it. For some reason when turning off your afterburner sometimes the script thinks its already off when you try to turn it off and so it turns it back on. If you press the hotkey again then it turns the afterburner on twice thus giving you an insane speed. I find this bug takes place far more often if you dont give the plugin any time after turning it on before trying to turn it off again. I replicated this bug on my Terran Ageir (speed 136) and after mashing the button many times got that baby up to like 1200m/s. It still turned like a brick so it was just hilarious to cross the entire sector in like 10 seconds and then take another 10 just to turn the baby around. Anyway for the time being I just reload my latest save if the bug occurs so my stock speed isnt changed. If you dont have a recent save I believe you can dock at any equipment dock and you will see a huge negative number under engine tunings. You can buy engine tunings to bring your ship speed back to default. I can't say for sure if this bug would exist if the bonus plugin was installed on a vanilla X3 install without having the prior afterburner stand-alone plugin but I do know even after uninstalling the previous version and making sure my ships had ejected their Afterburners and then buying them new there was still the hotkeys in my control panel for the stand-alone and bonusplugin version of this script. Cyrcow's hotkey remover thats somewhere in this thread removed the duplicate Auot Afterburner hotkey but not the manual-afterburner. Doesnt seem to matter though which hotkey I use they all work but they all have the same bug in my game. This isnt a flame though Cyrcow as I am happy at the moment and dont mind if it takes you ages to figure out how to fix it. The script is still a great addition to my game.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”