Which Mod/Script Should I Download Guide

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

OMEGA99
x3

Post by OMEGA99 » Sat, 19. Aug 06, 14:57

I definately prefer the Xtended mod, because I don't want to run into a tie fighter or a cylon raider in the X universe. It just doesnt make sense. Plus, the quality of Xtended ships is MUCH better than XFP's. That said, I do like the fact that XFP has many more sectors.
Violence is ALWAYS the answer!:twisted:

Stevio
x3tc

Post by Stevio » Tue, 22. Aug 06, 10:49

:shock: Numerous threads *Brain Overload*

take a look at my signature its clickable too... :wink:

Heres Some topics on the same subject
One..
Another One..
Another Another One.. - This one is three threads that were merged into one

these should answer or help to answer your question :wink:
Last edited by Stevio on Tue, 22. Aug 06, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.

voxol
x3

Post by voxol » Tue, 22. Aug 06, 22:56

Its a fair point. A sticky is in order "READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHAT BEST MOD/SCRIPT TO DOWNLOAD", sort of thing. Maybe with the most popular scripts listed, and telling people to ask for what specific feature they want as opposed to posing a general question. I know its all subjective, but I remember I was quite daunted when I started looking (spent hours going through them), and the list has gotten much much longer since then.

If someone would have pointed out the basics, like LVs Race Response Fleets, Anarkis Carrier Commands, etc, which most people use, it would have saved me a lot of time and made my game much more fun much earlier.

A properly catagorized list of well established scripts, with some popularity rating and a short description written next to each, would save people a lot of time I think.

Just my thoughts.

Stevio
x3tc

Post by Stevio » Tue, 22. Aug 06, 23:00

how about a 24hr ban for anyone who utters the words...
'Which mods and scripts should i download?'

I'm sure that would get the point across :P :D

__
edit
LV leaves this post in for reference to why this is the only thread on the entire ego forums where posts are put to an early death
___

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Wed, 23. Aug 06, 16:47

would it be so hard to add description, rating and any compatibilty issues to them?
Compatibilty issues ARE in the sticky.

Ratings ARE subjective.

And for the description, would it be so hard to click on the scripts that might interest you in the sticky (according to their name) to read a full description ? I hope not.
X3:TC/AP Pirate Guild 3 - Yaki Armada 2 - Anarkis Defense System

Anarkis Gaming HQ
Independent Game Development
X3 Scripting and Modding Station

ttl
x3tc

Post by ttl » Wed, 23. Aug 06, 16:51

The X-scripts might seem confusing at first simply because there so many of them, and they represent a large variety of different types of add-ons. As a rule they all work together. Compatability issues are addressed in the library; for the ones that are in the library, which is most. This is OK in my opinon. But short descriptions of scripts should be added to the library, IMO.

I'm sure this friendly community will help newcomers with choosing scripts&mods, if you ask more spefically which aspect of the game you want to enhance. There are so many different ones for different purposes that there is no answer to "which should I use?". Like most things in the X-universe, it depends on what you want to do. For this reason, I don't see much point in popularity ratings. Simple "I am currently using this script" polls might give useful info, though, with the answers given in numbers of users.

With X3 you have to see some trouble to figure out what you want out of your game. That's part of the lure. And it continues with the scripts&mods. The community will help you, as there are a lot of friendly people here, but it cannot provide this for you. For the very least, you need to get to know the game in it's original guise before you can start to think how you want it changed.

For my part I'd like to say welcome, tonedog
TTL

tonedog1
x4

Post by tonedog1 » Wed, 23. Aug 06, 20:00

ok how about any mods that expand the universe? in other mod communities there are normally a few super mods that include lots of smaller ones. are there any supermods that people use.

Syklon
x3

Post by Syklon » Wed, 23. Aug 06, 20:16

the three big mods which are currently out are Xtended, DDRS, and XFP

the threads for these are generally all on the first page

the second link stevio posted has a good summary of the differances between Xtended and XFP, beyond that looking at the differant threads or the mod's forums should give you a better feel for what they offer

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 23. Aug 06, 20:19

there is only one "super mod" that includes smaller mods, and thats XFP. Its a collision of small mods and scripts put together into a complete mod with other stuff.

there are other big mods, like Xtended and DDRS, but these are thier own mods.

it really depends what you want to add to the game, most of the mods tend to add new ships into the game

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Wed, 23. Aug 06, 20:29

We do seem to be getting a few repeat posts on this issue with the new steam related crowd incoming (Welcome- Read the rules or perish ;) )

No stickie as there are enough but this will go into a central "Which Mod" topic where all new threads created will be dumped :)

-------
LV's TC Scripts
Readme's For All My Scripts

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Wed, 23. Aug 06, 20:38

Nice job :)

As a side note my website contains a review section with some scripts where everyone (registered) can submit scripts for review and write his own reviews for each script. Notice that I'm far from having finished to include every script / mod from the sticky, but the will be all slowly added.

Cheers.
X3:TC/AP Pirate Guild 3 - Yaki Armada 2 - Anarkis Defense System

Anarkis Gaming HQ
Independent Game Development
X3 Scripting and Modding Station

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Advice please: Fusion or Extended?

Post by euclid » Fri, 1. Sep 06, 21:53

Since I got a new PC all games need a fresh install. I've played X3 already twice and now thinking of playing one of these mods. The info on the Fusion/Extendend websites do not reveal too much about the overall features so I'm not sure which one to go for.

Every advice is appreciated.

Cheers Euclid

A Team
x3

Post by A Team » Fri, 1. Sep 06, 23:12

Here is a topic which discusses the different mods and which is "best"

Here is a good description of both of the mods which comes from the thread i mentioned
voxol wrote:I'll try to be unbiased.

Xtended I view more as an expansion pack than a mod. It keeps with the X3 style and focuses a lot on new ships to fill gaps in the current X3 ship classes. Also quite story driven, with several BBS missions and a fledgling plotline. It also currently uses an unmodified universe, so savegames are compatible. Its a much more focused, centralised approach to modding, so is more cohesive and 'believable'.

XFP is actually quite different, much more diverse (Star Wars ships and sectors, for example). There are more sectors, more ships (I think), and several top scripters have specifically modified their scripts to fit better with XFP. They have a much more open approach and just seem to include as many options for the player as possible, with somewhat less regard to cohesion.

So, for me, its the difference between an immersive 'realistic' experience with Xtended, or a free and open-ended 'so many things to do' experience with XFP...
Just to warn you this thread may get merged with the one i mentioned or locked but thats not up to me at all.

biggie1447
x3ap

Post by biggie1447 » Fri, 1. Sep 06, 23:37

i have played both and i have to say they are both great mods

Extended--- has better ships due to a long time spent on designing and texturing ships, better ballanced and all original designs, innovative weapons and commands useful for fleet movements, and most of the new ships are scripted to be used by the races in game as NPCs

Fusion--- More ships however they are not ballanced well and few if any are used by NPCs, about 5 M0 class vessels (if you care) provide for heavy firepower, hanger, and cargo space. Most of the ships are coppies of ships in movies and other games but fun nonetheless, nearly all scripts are added in a optional scrip pack and the mod has a greatly expanded universe full of fuctional stations and gates

i have recently gone to college and got a new computer so i don't have x3 on it yet so i haven't played the most recent versions of either but the ones i did play were great and i recommend you decide on wether you want hi quality or if you would rather have a lot more new stuff with slightly less polish

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Fri, 1. Sep 06, 23:48

Thanks biggie ! I like the idea of a all-sector-connected universe. If I'm not wrong then both mods have that feature?

I'm about to install the extended mod but already face some problems. In the installation maual it says that you need to fly into an empty sector, save there and then exit the game, activate the mod and restart.

I'm starting new and hence will be in the buggy merc in AP. No cash, no salvage insurance, no jump drive and no empty sector near by. Does that mean I cannot yet play the mod?

Cheers Euclid

Stevio
x3tc

Post by Stevio » Fri, 1. Sep 06, 23:50

hmmm What would i say..... :P
Oh btw Welcome back to the forums euclid ;)

as mentioned in lots of threads Both mods are completely different...

Xtended offers a wide range of features and ships that are all kept into the style of X.
i.e. no imperial star destroyers and X-Wings :P

it also offers performance tweaks that give a fps increase, which include new Graphic FX for ship explosions, ship trails, weapon FX etc.
and also we reduce the number of Civilian ships

as said above all our ships are Original designs in-keeping with the Original game. all are designed and built by Mox
Many new Missions, features, enemies and toys to play with make this mod *A MUST HAVE*

:wink:

-XTM-
x3

Post by -XTM- » Fri, 1. Sep 06, 23:52

You dont have to follow that procedure for a new game Euclid, it will work just fine from your rusty Merc ;-)

Stevio
x3tc

Post by Stevio » Fri, 1. Sep 06, 23:53

if you are starting a new game you can just install the packages select the mod in the splash boot and play

the empty sector business is just for upgrading from a save game, or another version of Xtended :wink:

:edit:
Damn!... You win this round Mox :P :twisted:

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sat, 2. Sep 06, 13:20

Wow, this mod is awesome. Had little sleep last night. This Sohnen (?) dude kept me going until the early hours :grin:

I like the engine trails, the new models (Xenon Q is very nice) and the explosion/gunfire effects.

However, the cockpit is somewhat strange. Need to get used to it. Also there seems to be a graphics glitch after passing through a gate - kind of strobe flashing which faints out after a while.

You guys must have put a lot of hard work into that mod - well done!!!

Cheers Euclid

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Fri, 8. Sep 06, 19:05

you should check the main community scripts sticky, not only does it have links to most mods here, but it also has the link to this thread that i have just merged urs too.

which has various ppls oppionons on scripts and mods

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”