[SCRIPT] Sector Takeover v2.4.3 [Updated 20-Apr-2007]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

How do you rate this script?

Excellent
67%
Good
25%
Average
4%
Poor
1%
Abysmal
3%

Total votes: 360

Red Spot
x3

Post by Red Spot » Wed, 28. Jun 06, 15:04

changing descriptions works exactly the same as changing the names ..

I do however advise you do dig up the topic I made about the changing of sector-names as the advice given here isnt wrong but sure is 'the long way around' ...

G

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Wed, 28. Jun 06, 15:36

I will try to find that RS thanks, if just to cure my own curiosity. And thanks everyone else for the information.

So I'm afraid it looks like a 'no' for changing descriptions/names, I just don't think a program running in the background is ideal, the whole thing seems like making a channel switching robot because you don't have a remote control.

I think we will just have to hope that Egosoft build the capability to make the Galaxy more dynamic into X4. Sorry I would be happy to do it if it could be done elegantly and with minimal/no overhead.

However DE may decide he wants to do it, and I couldn't and wouldn't stop him. I'd like the functionality too, but I just don't think I could live with the way it would have to be implemented.

That said though, give me some time and I'll look up the info RS mentioned and make a final decision.
Nirwin
------
Sector Takeover | Unlimited Resources (x2/x3)

DesertEagle
x3

Post by DesertEagle » Wed, 28. Jun 06, 16:11

Hey there Nirwin, I have not written a system service since the days of Visual C++ 7.0. Last time I did, it was a major headache, and I ended up crashing my own system a number of times before I got it right. To limit our own liability, lol, I would prefer not to take this approach just yet. :)
Meantime, I am well occupied with the station takeover addon for Sector Takeover.

Cheers,
DE

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Wed, 28. Jun 06, 16:19

DesertEagle wrote:Hey there Nirwin, I have not written a system service since the days of Visual C++ 7.0. Last time I did, it was a major headache, and I ended up crashing my own system a number of times before I got it right. To limit our own liability, lol, I would prefer not to take this approach just yet. :)
Meantime, I am well occupied with the station takeover addon for Sector Takeover.

Cheers,
DE
Yeah good call, I want to give people what they want, but I just think that would be a horrible bit of hacky work for little gain, glad we are on the same page with that.

Cool, I am looking forward to the station takeover, as are many others i reckon.
Sadly I haven't had time to do anything since the last update, I will try and get the German translation added soon, since Jabba has been kind enough to do it for us.
Nirwin
------

tezcatlipoca
x3

Post by tezcatlipoca » Wed, 28. Jun 06, 23:31

Wonderful script (except for having to pay taxes, the game is hard enough as it is!)

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Thu, 29. Jun 06, 10:47

tezcatlipoca wrote:Wonderful script (except for having to pay taxes, the game is hard enough as it is!)
Are you aware that you can turn taxes off? see the first post for instructions on how to do this.

Is there a lot of people that want the ability to turn on/off player taxes and AI taxes seperately? If there is such a desire I will seperate the two. It's a good way of pleasing everybody.
Nirwin
------

Lokigamo
x3

Troubleshooting!!!!

Post by Lokigamo » Mon, 3. Jul 06, 10:25

I download Sector Take Over and the command in command console>combat>sector take over options does not appear only the AL plug in for the Sector Take Over Tax to disable/enable the tax function... what can I do or what didn't I (I installed the spk script with CSI)....

I took over a Paranid Sector and I think it did work but still will be cool to have the command...

Thanx

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Tue, 4. Jul 06, 08:44

Hello, that command went missing when version 1.3 of X3 got released (I think), we currently don't know why it disappeared, but we will be fixing it soon.

It's definately a problem with the script, not your installation.
Nirwin
------

kmiller1610
x3tc

Post by kmiller1610 » Sat, 8. Jul 06, 13:49

I am playing a Savage Split game and took the 7 southern sectors away from the Boron. I am using the original arch script (the last one he built).

So I own all the southern sectors, but all of a sudden the Boron have the same abilities as the Xenon have. The raiding parties jump into mid sectors, build space stations in the remote sectors and try to overwhelm me from bases built in sectors I owned.

There are NO Boron sectors within the 4 sector limit that is part of the arch script.

I am not asking you to understand the original script, but will the Boron display these same characteristics if I download and apply your patch? Since your limit seems to be 8 sectors, I need to know if the Boron have gateless jump drives under your version.

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Sat, 8. Jul 06, 23:01

kmiller1610 wrote:I am playing a Savage Split game and took the 7 southern sectors away from the Boron. I am using the original arch script (the last one he built).

So I own all the southern sectors, but all of a sudden the Boron have the same abilities as the Xenon have. The raiding parties jump into mid sectors, build space stations in the remote sectors and try to overwhelm me from bases built in sectors I owned.

There are NO Boron sectors within the 4 sector limit that is part of the arch script.

I am not asking you to understand the original script, but will the Boron display these same characteristics if I download and apply your patch? Since your limit seems to be 8 sectors, I need to know if the Boron have gateless jump drives under your version.
We have edited nothing in the script that would effect such behaviour, however I have seen the code that instigates the raiding parties and I have my doubts that what you are describing is what is actually happening, did you see the boron appearing out of nowhere in a sector? Is it the same make-up as normal raiding parties (1 M6 and 2 fighters) the fact that they are coming from over 4 sectors away seems unlikely to me from seeing the code.

However if it is a problem for you, we will look into it and try to fix it as appropriate, once I had captured all pirate sectors in a 4 sector radius I stopped getting raiding parties from them. Maybe you could send me a save which exhibits the problem?
Nirwin
------

kmiller1610
x3tc

Post by kmiller1610 » Sun, 9. Jul 06, 01:05

Thanks for the response. I wish to change my analysis. After being overwhelmed by attackers that seemed to come from nowhere, I very carefully went through all the sectors "under my control" and placed navsats. I had done this before but not comprehensively. I discovered a new Shipyard and a trading station that had not been there before I started my invasion.

So they were obviously within 4 sectors. Since doing a more thorough cleanup and placing probably 15 more navsats, they have been coming in convoys, some including a few TLs and one other with an M1.

So no gateless jump-ins..... Sorry about the false warning.....

BTW, do I need to uninstall the previous version first if I install yours?

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Sun, 9. Jul 06, 11:18

kmiller1610 wrote:Thanks for the response. I wish to change my analysis. After being overwhelmed by attackers that seemed to come from nowhere, I very carefully went through all the sectors "under my control" and placed navsats. I had done this before but not comprehensively. I discovered a new Shipyard and a trading station that had not been there before I started my invasion.

So they were obviously within 4 sectors. Since doing a more thorough cleanup and placing probably 15 more navsats, they have been coming in convoys, some including a few TLs and one other with an M1.

So no gateless jump-ins..... Sorry about the false warning.....

BTW, do I need to uninstall the previous version first if I install yours?
Ahhh yes, this is a problem, that has already been identified and is on our 'To-do list' shipyards of the race you stole the sector from will respawn in the same sector they were in. This is the GOD engine's fault.

You can just install a new version over the top of an old version, the old files will be replaced (assuming you tell windows it is alright to replace the old files), and then the new logic will be used.
Nirwin
------

kmiller1610
x3tc

Post by kmiller1610 » Sun, 9. Jul 06, 14:36

Nirwin,

Thanks for your help. This is the ONLY script I have used extensively. In my previous game, my goal was to wipe out the Xenon and though I am still one sector short, the conquest of the previous two sectors was an EPIC battle that would have no significance without this script.

Km

Red Spot
x3

Post by Red Spot » Sun, 9. Jul 06, 15:34

nirwin wrote:...........shipyards of the race you stole the sector from will respawn in the same sector they were in. This is the GOD engine's fault.

how sure are you about that nirwin ?? ..
as afaik it has nothing to with GOD but works like X2 wich means that docks and SYs get respawned by the game itself ...

G

kmiller1610
x3tc

Post by kmiller1610 » Sun, 9. Jul 06, 17:18

[/quote] how sure are you about that nirwin ?? ..
as afaik it has nothing to with GOD but works like X2 wich means that docks and SYs get respawned by the game itself ... [/quote]

Apart from the theological aspect, it's important to recognize that until and if this gets "fixed" installing and running this script means consistent vigilance.

I had a shipyard appear in one of my newly captured sectors and as I was approaching it, an M2 emerged. Of course once I destroyed it, I got tons of salvage, so that's not so bad.......

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Mon, 10. Jul 06, 10:04

Red Spot wrote: how sure are you about that nirwin ?? ..
as afaik it has nothing to with GOD but works like X2 wich means that docks and SYs get respawned by the game itself ...

G
Yeah you are probably right, I guess GOD is only interested in keeping the economy dynamic, and it's the game itself forcing it to be in the same place.
The real point is, there seems to be no easy way to stop it from happening, so it looks like I am going to have to write a script that removes such SY's as soon as they appear.

@kmiller
This problem WILL be fixed, whether elegently or not, because it is a REAL pain. Question is when, I am without my X3 DVD for a few days, but when I get it back, this problem will be my priority.
Thanks for your support, glad you like the script, always nice to know our efforts are appreciated. :)
Nirwin
------

kmiller1610
x3tc

Post by kmiller1610 » Mon, 10. Jul 06, 13:16

FYI

Since I have placed navsats in all my captured sectors and have been monitoring thos sectors at least once every 5 minutes, the following happens regularly.

1) Convoys of 1 Boron Orca TL and 3 fighters fly from some where beyond the perimeter of Trinity Sanctum down to my southern sectors. These appear randomly but regularly. I have had no standard raiding parties since I cleaned out the final stations in my new sectors.

2) Convoys of 1 M1 OR M2 (Shark or Ray) with 5 -8 fighters follow the same route. These convoys are less frequent.

This is in addition to the random appearence of Trading posts and Shipyards that just pop in.

Game is Savage Split
Current combat rating is Battlemaster

russbo
x4

Post by russbo » Tue, 11. Jul 06, 05:57

K, I used the pre Nirwin version of this script quite extensively, two months ago, for over thirty days. Did a rather futile attempt at capturing all the Split sectors in the middle of the universe. It ended up being a real recurrent nightmare, as the god engine of the game respawns these stations after a period of time, and that throws off the raiding party scenarios. It becomes an ecomonic morass in your universe, and a frustrating futile fight to keep your property in the captured sectors secure. My discussion of this is in the other thread devoted to this script. You might want to read what you're in for.

Until Nirwin gets the respawning issue under control, in my opinion, this concept just "doesn't work". I really don't think that the game was designed for galactic conquest in this fashion, which, is unfortunate. Maybe X4 will include this. I salute Nirwin for his neverending quest to make this thing work; it most certainly is not an easy thing to deal with.

Nirwin, let me know if I can be of any assistance.

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Tue, 11. Jul 06, 09:51

Let's not forget DesertEagle, who got the ball rolling on reviving this project and is right now working on a rather cool utility for capturing stations.

russbo, you have already been a great help, you find problems with the script ages before I ever would. And you are right, the re-spawning issue is a real thorn in the side of this script. I have decided to implement the only solution to the respawning issue that I can see working (though I hate the work-around), and my personal goal is to get that fix to you all by Monday. I would be interested in you having another conquest after that to see how things stand then.

Then when the station capturing is finished (and I make the station re-population script) this should be a lot better. Then it will be the fun stuff like making races attack other races sectors :twisted: :D

@kmiller
The M1's and M2's are a product of the shipyards, they are not raiding parties, but they are also not what you want appearing in the middle of your sector, the fix I hope to have out by monday should solve the problems you've mentioned.
Nirwin
------

kmiller1610
x3tc

Post by kmiller1610 » Fri, 14. Jul 06, 19:45

I have been fighting the Boron for about a week. The level of resistance goes up as you try to take more of their sectors.

Since I have a fairly small and easy to manage empire ( 3 Thunderbolt and 1 GPPC complexes which are self sustaining) I have been able to monitor my captured areas and continue to do BBS missions. But that means checking the sectors at least once every 3 to 4 minutes. I can't imagine doing this if I had a large number of complexes.

I was getting a steady stream of Orcas and an occasional cap ship with a fighter wing filtering down from Lucky Planets. Quite manageable.

Then I decided to make my life "easier" by attacking the shipyards in Lucky Planets, Kingdoms End and Ocean of Fantasy. Having destroyed all three, the game changed ..... a LOT.

Since then I have had more massive invasions. Orcas appear in my sectors out of nowhere. A shipyard appeared, followed by an M2 and M1 and about 40 fighters (instantly spawned). Since I have 2 Split M2s and 2 M1s with nothing else to do but respond to these incursions, it has been do-able, but for now, I'm staying within the 7 southern sectors.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”