[RELEASE] Custom ship MOBILE FORTRESS ver 1.1

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

tikanderoga
x4

Re: [RELEASE] Custom ship MOBILE FORTRESS

Post by tikanderoga » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 16:00

Observe wrote:Since this ship is too large to connect with equipment docks, or be produced by shipyards, it comes with most of the common upgrades pre-installed - including full weapons loadout.

Cargo capacity: 60,000
Docking 260 total: (236 x M5, M4), (5x M1, M2, TL), (20 x M6, TP, TS)
Hull strength: 400000
Reactor output power: 20000 MW
Maximum speed: 64.27
Acceleration: 1ms
Shields: 10GJ x 2
Weapons recharge rate: 2000 J/s
Weapons energy: 100000 J
Lasers: Gamma Photon Pulse Cannon or Lasertower weapon x 24.
Missiles: Typical M1 assortment
2 mio would be a ludicrous price for that thing.. just by the GPPCs it would at least cost you 24, plus the 2 10 GJ another 2, and for the ship give it another 150..
So you'd need to script of 'round 180'000'000 to be in a reasonable range..
If you got a monopoly on an operating system, and you make tons of money by supporting it, why fix it?

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 16:19

Request time :

Could you also do a defense platform ?

Base it on an M2 design with all turrents having 8 guns, all lasertowers.

Doesnt need speed, mainly designed for jumping into gates, and crawling somewhere near them.

I did a hull for this a while ago, but could never get it in the game. And never did get the turent right for it. But your new fortress turrent already does the lasertower, so all you need is the hull design and graphics, and the script to get it in.

Please please please !

lot of people want this to replace 100's of lasertowers.

rizzo420
x3

Post by rizzo420 » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 19:32

I had the trouble with the ships running straight ahead for too long and blowing up on the front end. I find that if I'm running at speed, it works better.

Aside from that, great job :D
Split Say AAAAAAAAA!!!

Cargo bay now contains: Elephant.

Bandus
x4

Post by Bandus » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 23:22

This ship gave me some good laughs. I basically spawned it in Argon Prime, tried to take it to Home of Light and ended up plowing like, 20 ships at the jump gate.

Argon's got pissed at me for that and a huge battle ensued....I took out a ton of ships...once this ships shields fail she crumbles like tin foil though.

Great fun but nothing I'd ever use in a "real game" I don't think.

Good work.

P.S. I would definitely be interested in some kind of defensive platform as an alternative to the laser towers.

DarthVain
x3tc

Post by DarthVain » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 23:47

Yes, going through the gates manually is risky so I've installed the Gateless Jumpdrive.

Now if we could get rid of the gates altogether and have some type of navigational galaxy plotting device installed that would be awesome. Come to think of it, the gateless jumpdrive does that job already :D
Another one bites the dust!!

DarthVain

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Fri, 31. Mar 06, 00:24

Um, driving this thing anywhere isnt really a happening thing.

You jump it out, and only jump it in to somewhere without close obstacles, so you can move it a bit into a sector and leave it there.

Only a mad thrill seaker will actually drive it themselves :)

And only those who want to lose it in a hurry will be in sector while its moving.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sat, 1. Apr 06, 05:31

Thanks to everyone for their valuable feedback on this initial release of the Mobile Fortress.

I will make effort to fix the automatic undocking problem, and incorporate some of the suggestions that have been made - in the limited time I have available before I must "switch gears" in my priorities.

Next release improvements/changes:

1. Fix the undocking crash problem. Some of you have discovered a temporary fix by moving the Fortress while capital ships undock. Either that, or you can undock your capital ships manually. I have a permanent solution for the next release.

2. Increase cargo space. Additional weapons availability (including BPBE & BFAA).

3. Price tag (very high).

4. Gateless jumpdrive standard.

5. Special Fortress commands.

This ship was designed from the beginning to serve several specific purposes. It is of course NOT intended for casual cruising around the galaxy.

I hope this ship will prove to be a useful presense in the game.

Thank you for your patience and for all your kind suggestions.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Sat, 1. Apr 06, 05:40

I've added it already to the list of Mods in the new Handbook.

For the moment, I'm content to just have mine. :)

I have all my ships safely docked in it now, bar my 2 UT's and mammoth, which is doing complex building at the moment.

When I get time, I'm going to get all my stores moved as well.

Would it be possible to store some permanent jump co-ords into several comand slots so that I can jump it between fixed places ? I would like to have a specific place near each complex hub where I can park it for a while, and moving it around means I can use it as a central store, with short flights for freighters. It can also be used as a jump in complex protector when necessary. But doing the co-ord specific each time is too fiddly.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sat, 1. Apr 06, 05:55

apricotslice wrote:I've added it already to the list of Mods in the new Handbook.
Thank you Apricotslice! You services to the community are much needed. :thumb_up:
apricotslice wrote:Would it be possible to store some permanent jump co-ords into several comand slots so that I can jump it between fixed places? I would like to have a specific place near each complex hub where I can park it for a while, and moving it around means I can use it as a central store, with short flights for freighters. It can also be used as a jump in complex protector when necessary. But doing the co-ord specific each time is too fiddly.
Already working on your suggestions. There will be special Fortress commands added.

Possible future projects call for a new jump gate protection platform to eliminate the lasertower mess that some of us resort to until we discover the associated cumbersome problems.

Of course others have already suggested that last idea, and someone might beat me to the gun on implementation. :wink:
Last edited by Observe on Sat, 1. Apr 06, 06:02, edited 1 time in total.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Sat, 1. Apr 06, 06:01

Observe wrote: Future projects call for a new jump gate protection platform to eliminate the lasertower mess that some of us resort to until we discover the associated cumbersome problems.

Of course others have already thought of that last idea, and someone might beat me to the gun on implementation.
Already happened. :) The M7 mod.

However, I am relauctant to use that mod because it adds more than I want to at this stage in my game. Its a complete new game, and should be started as one i feel.

So I'm still looking for an easy to install defense platform. Perhaps if you could use the platform in the M7 mod, so the mods are compatible, but augment its options, particularly in say jump capability.

Either that, or a stand alone defense platform. I would rather like to just insert it just into my existing mod and then run a script to activate it.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sun, 2. Apr 06, 03:00

NEW RELEASE (verion 1.1)

This release fixes the critical defect of capital ships crashing into the Fortress while performing auto undocking, along with some requested weapons additions, and larger cargo space.

I am very pleased with the undocking solution. Now capital ship undock at a 30 degree angle, therby avoiding the Fortress. Both docking and undocking is much improved.

Note to fellow model designers: It appears that the ANIMATEDF_DOCKPORT_BELOW60 docking flag can be set in 30 degree increments. I used ANIMATEDF_DOCKPORT_BELOW30 in this case.

Since several people have requested DDRS integration, I have included a catalog version of this release that should work fine with DDRS version 2.1. This has been tested successfully but not extensively. If you choose this option, you will have to install DDRS as a patch (rename the DDRS catalog files numerically and put them in the main game directory). Note: Since I have no control over the DDRS mod, I can provide only limited support for this option.

Additional planned non-essential features will be provided in a future release - time permitting. :wink:

This release is save-game compatable with the prevous version.

The current files are linked for download at the top of this thread.

Thera
x3

Post by Thera » Sun, 2. Apr 06, 09:55

I think this mod is usefull...

I would like to see the ship capable of equiping all weapons, and only initially installed with mass drivers, or AIRE's. and only a 125mj shield(Thus forcing the player to equip it at thier own cost).

Also I would suggest that you alter it ti a BBS advert for the location co-ordinates where the ship could be found when you reach a certain combat ranking.

Just thoughts. In regards to the undocking problems with the Large ships, i would suggest modifying the ship so that they undock backwards or that they dock at the front of the ship.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Sun, 2. Apr 06, 10:00

Thera wrote:I would like to see the ship capable of equiping all weapons, and only initially installed with mass drivers, or AIRE's. and only a 125mj shield(Thus forcing the player to equip it at thier own cost).

Also I would suggest that you alter it ti a BBS advert for the location co-ordinates where the ship could be found when you reach a certain combat ranking.
That would just force me to edit the scripts to remove that ! This 125 mj shield insanity is completely beyond me. As for combat rank, why ? Dont answer, because I simply removed the race ranking from the game, as I dont believing inthem, and ignore combat rank.

BBS in EQ docks to buy it, yes. Good idea.

Thera
x3

Post by Thera » Sun, 2. Apr 06, 14:42

The idea was to add some significance effort and cost to equiping the fortress. I did say initially, not permanently.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Sun, 2. Apr 06, 15:09

Thera wrote:The idea was to add some significance effort and cost to equiping the fortress. I did say initially, not permanently.
Actually, this is one of those purchases I'd prefer to come already kitted out.

But then, I find the whole process of having to scour the universe to fit out one ship a bit silly. There should be a one stop shop, that orders in what you want. But then, thats just me. And I complex build everything I need.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sun, 2. Apr 06, 19:31

Thera wrote:Also I would suggest that you alter it ti a BBS advert for the location co-ordinates where the ship could be found when you reach a certain combat ranking.
How about a BBS message mentioning rumor of an unoccupied supership existing somewhere beyond Khaak space. The initialization script would add a jump gate into a Khaak sector from a hard to find remote location. Based on clues found through the BBS, your job as treasure hunter would be to locate the jump gate, search/survive the Khaak sector for another jump gate that would put you into an empty sector wherein you would finally find the fully armed Fortress and some other goodies. All this could be done without editing the standard galaxy; because such sectors already exist in the game (though some of them currently have no jumpgate accessability).

Saint-Ashley
x4

Post by Saint-Ashley » Sun, 2. Apr 06, 20:01

Observe wrote:How about a BBS message mentioning rumor of an unoccupied supership existing somewhere beyond Khaak space.
That sounds great! at least it wont be as much a cheat then just getting it free! :P

SirMathew
x3

Post by SirMathew » Sun, 2. Apr 06, 20:52

apricotslice wrote:
Thera wrote:The idea was to add some significance effort and cost to equiping the fortress. I did say initially, not permanently.
Actually, this is one of those purchases I'd prefer to come already kitted out.

But then, I find the whole process of having to scour the universe to fit out one ship a bit silly. There should be a one stop shop, that orders in what you want. But then, thats just me. And I complex build everything I need.

Try Stevio's Weapons dealer script,it installs a station where you find all the equipment... :wink:
X2 STATS:AoA 1th Grade
Proud NOVA,CENTAUR,ZEUS,K,Oddy PILOT

X3 STATS ??
Nova Vanguard,Elephant,centaur,colosseus Owner
Current trading rank : Master Industrialist
Current Combat rank: Warlord
The only hope in my universe

DarthVain
x3tc

Post by DarthVain » Sun, 2. Apr 06, 23:30

Just leave it the way it is. This is a great mod but not everyone wants to follow a plot or storyline to obtain something superior like the Fortress.

The docking and undocking of caps works terrific now. Thanks Observe :thumb_up:
Another one bites the dust!!

DarthVain

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Mon, 3. Apr 06, 00:41

Thanks Captainfred! I'm happy to hear that this ship is working for you, and the new release has fixed the docking problem. I appreciate the feedback. :)

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”