Modding tutorials which should be written

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

doubleshadow
x3

Modding tutorials which should be written

Post by doubleshadow » Wed, 14. Dec 05, 09:45

I think that there is need to write some basic tutorials for people who want to start modding. The tutorials should make some kind of manual when put together.

Note that this thread is not intended to be a "wish" thread. I don't want to see dozen of posts like "I want tutorial how to add super-extra-cool ship with mega-blast weapons and a lot of cash".

Instead I would like to see posts like "I already wrote tutorial xy" ;)

Who should write the tutorials

Anybody who thinks he know how to do the particular thing. Please don't think like "there are better then me...". There is always someone better then you. That doesn't mean you cannot tell others how to do that. The worst thing that can happen to you is that you will have to correct your post :roll:

So here is the list:

How modding works in a first place
What is modding, what can be changed by modding. Difference between modding and scripting.

How to unpack your game
How to unpack your game with X3 ModManager

How to create a mod (catalog)
How to ceate a mod using X3 ModManager - this is just a very spare tutorial imho. Better then nothing though :)

How to add gun to a ship
This will have to wait until DBOX will be released. How to modify ship scene file and to update TShips accordingly. You may write down how to do this manually (possibly using notepad?) if you want.

How to add/change names of objects (sectors, ships, lasers)
How to add new strings into xml's, how to manage the xml files properly.

How to add a ship to TShips
This is not so important imho but it would be nice to tell people how to do that. What are the "critical" (important) values in TShips.

I think that these are the most critical tutorials. If you think that some are missing, write them down.
Last edited by doubleshadow on Wed, 14. Dec 05, 12:36, edited 2 times in total.

the old one
x3tc

Modding

Post by the old one » Wed, 14. Dec 05, 11:11

I think it is a great idea the old one :thumb_up:
only steam i want is out of a kettle

Red Spot
x3

Post by Red Spot » Wed, 14. Dec 05, 11:20

I think the idea is very good DS ..

but when reading this the first thing that popped up in my mind was;
dont we already have these kinda tutorials for X2 ..

like for instance how to change sector names .. that has been dealt with several times on the X2 S&M forum ..

(I'll see later today .. perhaps I can easilly dig up some off the usefull tutorials and link them here .. idea??)

G

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Wed, 14. Dec 05, 12:27

Red Spot wrote:I think the idea is very good DS ..

but when reading this the first thing that popped up in my mind was;
dont we already have these kinda tutorials for X2 ..

like for instance how to change sector names .. that has been dealt with several times on the X2 S&M forum ..

(I'll see later today .. perhaps I can easilly dig up some off the usefull tutorials and link them here .. idea??)

G
Yes that's the problem - everybody says See X2 S&M. The informations are there - that's truth - but where exactly... :P

And some of them should be rewriten because they are out of date. How to unpack game files and create a simple mod to alter game parameters is one of them.

You are right about the sector name changing. I just had to answer this in one PM so I though it would be handy to make a how-to on it. If you can find the old thread it may be linked.

But you all know that back in X2 we wasn't so clever as we are know 8) and so the old posts may not be correct in all aspects.

Earthpilot
x3tc

Post by Earthpilot » Wed, 14. Dec 05, 18:17

You mean something like this?

3D-Modding : Schritt für Schritt zum eigenen Xenon M0 (by Earthpilot)
(Note : language is german)

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Thu, 15. Dec 05, 08:34

Kind of (you don't expect me to really understand what you guys are saying at the German forum - my german lessons were limited to Pro 7 and Sat 1 :D )

But not using the "manual" method. If want to export scene these days, I click on Export button in 3ds max/gmax ;)

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”