Please sort out the unresponsive keyboard

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

dcovell
x3

Please sort out the unresponsive keyboard

Post by dcovell » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 22:59

Pressing a key 2 or 3 times and then having to hold it down until it registers is a bit naff.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 23:24

Which game are you referring to? If it is X³ then is there any chance you could register your game and post your problem in a bit more detail, along with your system specifications, in the Tech Support forum?

Apocholypse
x3

Post by Apocholypse » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 23:26

Yes I know what you mean. It's because your computers not quite powerful enough for the game as u'll notice it happens in busy sectors very often. Where as it never happens with less intensive sectors. The same thing happened on X2 until I got a new PC.

dcovell
x3

Post by dcovell » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 23:36

Oh? Is there a P5 out now then?

softweir
xr

Post by softweir » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 23:37

Quezzie: Is this a cordless keyboard? Maybe the batteries need changing.

For more help, register and ask again in the technical support forum!
My new fave game (while waiting for Rebirth) - Kerbal Space Program

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 23:37

dcovell wrote:Oh? Is there a P5 out now then?
A what?
Last edited by CBJ on Mon, 7. Nov 05, 23:38, edited 1 time in total.

Apocholypse
x3

Post by Apocholypse » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 23:38

Whats P5 :? sos...

softweir
xr

Post by softweir » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 23:39

Apocholypse wrote:
Whats P5 :? sos...
I think dcovell was saying he's got a Pentium 4, thuis implying he has a high-end machine?
My new fave game (while waiting for Rebirth) - Kerbal Space Program

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 23:39

I think he means a Pentium V. We are referring to more MB of RAM.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 23:41

OK, start again.
CBJ wrote:Which game are you referring to? If it is X³ then is there any chance you could register your game and post your problem in a bit more detail, along with your system specifications, in the Tech Support forum?

dcovell
x3

Post by dcovell » Tue, 8. Nov 05, 01:32

Graaf wrote:I think he means a Pentium V. We are referring to more MB of RAM.
I only have a Gig of RAM.. sucky eh?

dcovell
x3

Unresponsive keyboard

Post by dcovell » Tue, 8. Nov 05, 01:45

dcovell noticed...

The keyboard is very sluggish. Especially when in SETA and pressing "T" or "U"

BTW I have a P4 a GIG of memory and a 128 Graphics card.

PheenixSwiftfire
x4

Post by PheenixSwiftfire » Tue, 8. Nov 05, 04:22

dcovell...

It seems that the latency experienced between a key press and the corresponding action happening has something to do with the sheer amount of data that the simulation has to keep track of. It was like this in X2, it's like this in X3, and I seriously think that unless the way the simulation tracks the data is changed it will continue like this.

I have a P4@ 3.0GHz and 1 GB of RAM in a dual channel config. Just suck it up and deal with it for now. Perhaps the perfomance tweaks in the v1.3 patch will help with many of the problems that we've been experiencing.

oh and P.S.

Did you REALLY need to make a dupicate thread?
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory. --Sun Tzu

alex hall
x3tc

Post by alex hall » Tue, 8. Nov 05, 09:41

CBJ wrote:OK, start again.
CBJ wrote:Which game are you referring to? If it is X³ then is there any chance you could register your game and post your problem in a bit more detail, along with your system specifications, in the Tech Support forum?
CBJ,

X3 for me.

I am also suffering from this... 784mb RAM, 2200 AMD Sempron cpu, ATI9200SE GFX (latest catalyst drivers) card with 128mb RAM, Win XPPro SP2, cleared out most of the background processes.

I have the Microsoft bluetooth keyboard and mouse, however will try the wired version. I believe it is just the low machine spec that I have though means that it takes longer for the game to register key strokes/mouse moves. Even on the start up screen where you select Continue/New Game the keyboard/mouse navigation is slow and jerky.

Patched to v1.2

Will likely upgrade my PC within the next month or so, however for now just trading in te game.

:-)

Alex

masrock
x3tc

its cpi/memroy load.

Post by masrock » Tue, 8. Nov 05, 10:43

The slow response of the keyboard is due to cpu/memory load.

After i stuck in an extra gig of ram and a high end graphics card, the keyboard lag disappeared. The opening screens and menus when yuou load the game became smoother too.

It'll be fixed in the patch or you'll have to better your system specs. If you can't do that, send the game back.

Sorry there is no other solution at the moment

Masrock

Drainy
x3tc

Post by Drainy » Tue, 8. Nov 05, 11:00

It'll be fixed in the patch
Well it might be.

Personally Ive no keyboard lag or any other issues (as ive said in a few other threads)
AthlonXP 2600+ 2.08ghz
640mb Ram
6800GT 256mb
SB Audigy

Also dcovell, you need to start posting real information if you want help. It will take forever to try and help you find out if theres something you could do to improve it if you're telling us your specs via a series of clues or sarcastic comments.
Have a read through the sticky at the top explaining about improving FPS, alot of those will help reduce CPU load aswell which could help smooth out your keyboard actions. :)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Unresponsive keyboard

Post by CBJ » Tue, 8. Nov 05, 12:49

dcovell wrote:BTW I have a P4 a GIG of memory and a 128 Graphics card.
Once again, could you please post your system specification? The above information is not adequate as a "P4" covers a huge range of speeds and a "128" graphics card is meaningless.

geoff
x3

Post by geoff » Tue, 8. Nov 05, 13:14

Well I have this problem too. My system is a PIV 3GHz, a G-force 6 6200 256MB, 1.5 GB ram and a sound blaster Live sound card. So it doesnt sound like ram for me huh?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 8. Nov 05, 13:29

No, for you RAM is pretty much not an issue. Your slowest component is your graphics card, and with a 6200 you should be looking at the various tweaks and adjustments in the sticky thread at the top of the forum to make sure you get the best from it. Another area to consider is your sound. The SB Live! card itself is fine, but quite a few people have reported performance issues as a result of codec problems.

Remember that PCs are complex beasts with many possible areas that can cause problems. The advice for one person may not apply to someone else, and even apparently identical PCs can have different issues because of their configuration, software installed, and so on. In the midst of all this it is often tricky to identify when there is a genuine game issue to be addressed!

geoff
x3

Post by geoff » Tue, 8. Nov 05, 13:50

Whats a codec problem? I dont have any major problems it is stable with no crashes etc in over 9 days of play. Its just little things like the slow keyboard and mouse pointer being on a rubber band. And the M5 population problem if it is a problem?

It would be nice to play without a degree in computer science.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”