Return Dilemma ???

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

The Chief
x3

Return Dilemma ???

Post by The Chief » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 08:39

Please what should I do? Return the game to Amazon for a refund or wait to see if they can sort out all these problems with future patches, because at the moment I am just unable to play the game, what with all the crashes and other bugs.
The Chief.. :cry:

Graphil
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x3tc

Post by Graphil » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 08:50

I would suggest you firstly post the details of your problems in the tech support forum to see if anyone can help you sort them out.
Graphil

There are two secrets to life: 1) Don't tell everything you know...

reaper8654
x4

Post by reaper8654 » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 08:50

Download the 1.2 ptch that should sort the Crashing out....if not then I sudgest you look at your PC cause since I installed X3 with the 1.2 Patch It's not crashed once.....and my PC is pants...Sempron 3000+ and Gforce 5600XT 256MB and 1gb RAM.

The Chief
x3

Post by The Chief » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 09:06

Mine is about the same as yours except I have the Gforce FX 5900 ultra with 250mb..I installed the update when ask to on installing the game but after about 20 mins of playing I crash back to the desktop loosing everything I have done...I can't keep on like this..
The Chief..

The Chief
x3

Crash Dump!

Post by The Chief » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 09:15

After installing the game and updating when asked on installation my game Crashes and dumps me back at my desktop after about 20 min's of play, also during the game everything seems very jerky, I have WinXP home 3000+ Gforce FX 5900 ultra with 250mb and 1.5gb memory so I would have thought I had enough to run this game??? anyone got any idea's before I return the game to Amazon for a refund.

DJSoulJammer
x3

Post by DJSoulJammer » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 09:15

The Chief wrote:Mine is about the same as yours except I have the Gforce FX 5900 ultra with 250mb..I installed the update when ask to on installing the game but after about 20 mins of playing I crash back to the desktop loosing everything I have done...I can't keep on like this..
The Chief..

this is sound to me very familiar ,i can't say buddy about X3 but was in X2 for me same problem and take me huge time figure whats was wrong,and one of my good friends sugest me just to change power suply from the one i was having,damn was truth ,after i changed power suplay all was good ,so maybe this will help also on X3 ,just hoping for you buddy ,but like Graphil says post this problem in Tehno forum and will 100 % help you ,you know they are good in that ,no need for returnig game ,and if you want any way i will buy from you :wink:
I don't think diferent ,..... i think same , just in diferent way .... :)

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 09:28

There are already a few posts on crashes - look for the longer threads as they have the best info.

The Chief
x3

Post by The Chief » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 10:45

Thanks..I do already have a 500watt power unit so this should be more than enough.
The Chief.. :sceptic:

The Chief
x3

Post by The Chief » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 10:49

Although I installed the update when ask on the initial installation of the game, do you think it would make any difference if I downloaded the patch and installed again?

Dread
x3tc

Post by Dread » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 11:48

You might as well try it.
I downloaded the file manually from the site and installed it myself and I have not had a single CTD yet. Like mentioned earlier best course of action would be to go to the Tech forum

Good luck, hope you sort it out, dont want to see another X family member leave

markkram95
x3

Post by markkram95 » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 11:53

Give it time and it "WILL" crash sooner or later. If not then the Devs should take a very careful look at your PC setup to see why you are one of the only people without a crash. If you play it long enough it will eventually happen. A lot of people have reported their systems being stable until the game reaches a certain point!!!! :( Check the posts!!!!

Dread, I thought we were already on the tech forum???
Last edited by markkram95 on Mon, 7. Nov 05, 12:01, edited 1 time in total.

AMD
x3

Post by AMD » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 12:01

I can't even get past the second gate following the first mission before it crashes(everytime) :evil:

Dread
x3tc

Post by Dread » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 12:03

Ill keep my eye out then. Ive only clocked a total of 18 hours playing time so far, but seems stable up to now. Are there certain points in the game where it starts to CTD???

The Chief
x3

Post by The Chief » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 12:09

I have only get about 20mins play before it all crashes, but where do I go for help? or is it better in long run to send it back?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 12:17

This appears to be a completely different type of crash to that experienced by people loading savegames that have the specific issues that have been described elsewhere.

Are you able to say what you are doing at the time when you crash? Are you in a particular location? Is it at a particular point in the sector music? If you are doing something specific then we may be able to narrow it down to a game issue or something common like an audio codec.

If it happens at random and you are just flying along doing nothing in particular then it is quite likely to be your PC causing the problem. If it happens after playing for a certain amount of time then it could easily be something overheating (your graphics card would be a prime candidate), a memory fault when memory usage reaches a certain point, or a power supply problem (for example the power level losing stability when it reaches a certain temperature).

The Chief
x3

Post by The Chief » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 12:40

Thanks for your reply, my crashes happen sometimes when I am docking and also when just flying along doing nothing, I also have one of the most resources hungry game of all "Sims2" but have no problems with this..
The Chief..

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 13:06

Unfortunately working in one game doesn't necessarily preclude PC problems in another. There are many ways in which one game can stress a PC where another does not.

I would start by looking at your audio codecs, since this is much less hard work than pulling bits out of the PC. Another thing to try is temporarily disabling your anti-virus in case the apparently random crashes are actually caused by the game trying to access the HDD and being stopped by the AV.

Your 500W PSU should indeed be plenty for any system, provided it is a decent quality one. Cheap ones (and I'm not suggesting yours is, I just don't know!) often don't give anything like their rated output over a sustained period.

Another thing to try is running the game with one or more of your memory sticks removed. This would obviously slow things down, but could be used to eliminate faulty memory from the equation.

As I said before, the reason I am highlighting PC issues here is because of the fact that the crashes are random while flying in space, which is a sure sign that something is wrong at that end. On the other hand if you were, for example, always clicking on a target when it happened, then it would be pretty much guaranteed to be a game issue.

The Chief
x3

Post by The Chief » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 14:31

Thanks..I do already have my virus and firewall disabled and I disable explorer just before I run the game, no sure what I was supposed to do with audio codecs?.. I will remove all my usb items and see if that helps,...also how do I run a Benchmark test? it's greyed out on my startup box.
The Chief..

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 14:33

The benchmark is greyed out on everyone's game because it isn't currently available. If you want to test framerates use a third part tool such as Fraps.

reaper8654
x4

Post by reaper8654 » Mon, 7. Nov 05, 18:16

markkram95 wrote:Give it time and it "WILL" crash sooner or later. If not then the Devs should take a very careful look at your PC setup to see why you are one of the only people without a crash. If you play it long enough it will eventually happen.
Sorry to tell you but my saves advise I have around 30 hours of game time and still no CTD's Worst i got is a little FR Slowdown in Argon prime, but thats cause I got a slow ass PC

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”