[X3: Reunion - Windows 11] Intermittent Crashing

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Tripp_K
x4

[X3: Reunion - Windows 11] Intermittent Crashing

Post by Tripp_K » Sun, 26. Feb 23, 13:17

Hello there,

I am experiencing intermittent crashes with X3: Reunion while running it on Windows 11. The crashes are sometimes reproducible, while other times they occur randomly and cannot be replicated. This is particularly frustrating and somewhat embarrassing because I stream the game on Twitch :oops: and I'd rather it didn't contribute towards what my channel is getting quite well known for... Technical difficulties!

:lol:

First lets get the necessary information out of the way as stipulated by this topic.
  • Operating System: Windows 11 (Version: 10.0.22621 Build 22621)
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K CPU
  • Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080Ti (Driver Version: 528.02)
  • Memory: DDR4-2666 / PC4-21300 DDR4 SDRAM UDIMM 64GB DDR4
  • Game Version: 2.5a (Steam Version)
My CPU is not overclocked (It's running at stock), however I'm 80% sure that my RAM is running an XMP Profile Overclock. Other details about my system include: I run the game off the NVMe to get the fastest possible loading times - even if it's a second or so. I also have OBS running capturing the game's footage for streaming to Twitch or recording for other purposes.

The issue I'm experiencing occurs in the standard start of the game's storyline with Julian Brennan, and there's no specific sector causing the problem. There are no error messages, but occasionally, when I select a target, the game freezes for a brief period before crashing to the desktop. The game has not been modified and has been verified through Steam Cache. However, I have noticed a pattern that the issue tends to happen more frequently in sectors with dense fog. I figured I'd ask here, in case this is a well known error, and that someone might already know the solution or perhaps know what might be going on here.

Every time I get the crash my Event Viewer pretty much says the exact same thing, here's the last one that happened:

Application Crash:-
AppName x3.exe
AppVersion 2.5.0.1
AppTimeStamp 515f0302
ModuleName x3.exe
ModuleVersion 2.5.0.1
ModuleTimeStamp 515f0302
ExceptionCode c0000095
FaultingOffset 00007a2d
ProcessId 0x473c
ProcessCreationTime 0x1d949c7aaae46b6
AppPath C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\X3 - Reunion\x3.exe
ModulePath C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\X3 - Reunion\x3.exe
IntegratorReportId 53755de5-f71d-45b5-a818-527c2133dac0
PackageFullName
PackageRelativeAppId
Windows Error Reporting:-
Bucket -721290278
BucketType 1
EventName APPCRASH
Response Not available
CabId 0
P1 x3.exe
P2 2.5.0.1
P3 515f0302
P4 x3.exe
P5 2.5.0.1
P6 515f0302
P7 c0000095
P8 00007a2d
P9
P10
If any more information is absolutely required please let me know, and I'll see what I can do or answer. I should also point out that I'm grateful in advance for any insight on this because I know the game is nearly 18 years old at this point and probably way past it's support date.

Thank you; have a fantastic weekend.

-T

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [X3: Reunion - Windows 11] Intermittent Crashing

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 26. Feb 23, 13:38

Hi. You can update your graphics driver to Nvidia 528.49 (WHQL) and see if that helps. Unfortunately the Windows Error Reports from the DxDiag are pretty generic and don't help much to identify the issue.

Have you tried running X3 in an emulation mode such as XP SP3, or Win 7, in case that helps? Have you verified your game installation?

Also see if anything here helps as Win 11 and Win 10 are quite similar.

Good luck.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Tripp_K
x4

Post by Tripp_K » Sun, 26. Feb 23, 13:53

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 26. Feb 23, 13:38
Hi. You can update your graphics driver to Nvidia 528.49 (WHQL) and see if that helps. Unfortunately the Windows Error Reports from the DxDiag are pretty generic and don't help much to identify the issue.

Have you tried running X3 in an emulation mode such as XP SP3, or Win 7, in case that helps? Have you verified your game installation?

Also see if anything here helps as Win 11 and Win 10 are quite similar.

Good luck.
Hello there Alan,

Thank you for your very prompt reply, I appreciate it. I will update the graphics card driver as indicated and I haven't tried running X3 in an emulation mode; I will try both of your suggestions out and report back. Either way I have a system I can try it out on, as I just tried it running in Windowed Mode to no avail - the Shore of Infinity System seems to pretty reliably crash, especially if cycling through targets, or using F3 to view targets in the distance.

Much appreciated.

Tripp_K
x4

Post by Tripp_K » Sun, 26. Feb 23, 14:38

After verifying the game files and updating the Nvidia Drivers, I attempted to set the compatibility mode to Windows XP SP3, but unfortunately, the game still crashes even after a reboot of the system.

However, all was not in vain: I was able to reproduce the error consistently, so that's something, right? :D

By jumping to the East Gate in the 'Shore of Infinity' and heading towards the North Gate while cycling through targets using PG Down, the game crashes after a few targets. I chose this particular sector due to its foggy environment.

Interestingly, I discovered that I can cycle through targets for an extended period without crashing in a relatively clear system such as 'Argon Prime.' Therefore, I suspect that the issue may be related to the fog, possibly a graphical problem.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 26. Feb 23, 14:52

Cycling through targets causing game crashes is a common problem. See this thread by Lwerewolf for a possible solution.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Tripp_K
x4

Post by Tripp_K » Sun, 26. Feb 23, 15:21

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Sun, 26. Feb 23, 14:52
Cycling through targets causing game crashes is a common problem. See this thread by Lwerewolf for a possible solution.
Okay, so limiting the FPS of the game absolutely worked. I had to do it slightly differently to the first post of the topic you directed me to and I will share that process below. But I wanted to thank both you and Alan for this. It is now no longer crashing and I feel a bit better towards streaming it again.

Thank you again to both of you.

How I did it:
  1. Open up the Nvidia Control Panel.
  2. Under "3D Settings" click on "Manage 3D Settings"
  3. On the next panel of the screen click "Program Settings" under 'I would like to use the following 3D settings:'
  4. Either find X3.EXE on the list, or add it, I had to add it.
  5. Scroll down in the list and find "Max Frame Rate", I set mine to 60FPS because it's for Twitch.
  6. Optional: Scroll down a little more and set "Vertical Sync" to "Fast". I had to do this because of noticeable screen taring.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 26. Feb 23, 15:28

Great, thank you for sharing your solution. :)
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Pilgram

Post by Pilgram » Sat, 4. Mar 23, 20:19

Open up the Nvidia Control Panel.
Under "3D Settings" click on "Manage 3D Settings"
On the next panel of the screen click "Program Settings" under 'I would like to use the following 3D settings:'
Either find X3.EXE on the list, or add it, I had to add it.
Scroll down in the list and find "Max Frame Rate", I set mine to 60FPS because it's for Twitch.
Optional: Scroll down a little more and set "Vertical Sync" to "Fast". I had to do this because of noticeable screen taring.

When I get to Either find X3.EXE on the list, or add it, I had to add it.
It takes to a recent used programs in there there is an insignia of X3
Do I add that?

Tripp_K
x4

Post by Tripp_K » Sun, 5. Mar 23, 00:18

Pilgram wrote:
Sat, 4. Mar 23, 20:19
When I get to Either find X3.EXE on the list, or add it, I had to add it.
It takes to a recent used programs in there there is an insignia of X3
Do I add that?
Yes, if it appears there, try that. Although I will give a word of caution. I'm experiencing the exact same crashing again now I've rebooted my system. This time I wasn't rapidly selecting targets, I was dealing with station management from a remote system.

Whilst it's been far more stable; it seems like under Windows 11, X3: Reunion is pretty buggy.

Lwerewolf
x4

Post by Lwerewolf » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 00:08

Haven't tried on Windows 11 yet, but I'm guessing that crashes CAN probably still happen if your FPS cap is, uhh... "way too high".

Tripp_K
x4

Post by Tripp_K » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 00:41

Yeah, I set mine to 60.

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Fri, 22. Dec 23, 03:38

Try to run the game on one core

Code: Select all

cd /d e:\X3 Terran War Pack