[Solved] [X3] Horizontal Graphics Tearing in X3 Reunion (v2.5a)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

ItWasntMe
x3ap

[Solved] [X3] Horizontal Graphics Tearing in X3 Reunion (v2.5a)

Post by ItWasntMe » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 01:20

Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone is able to help me. I have been playing X3 Reunion (patched to version 2.5a) from GOG.com and I seem to be experiencing some graphics tearing when I fire. By that I mean the weapons fire graphics are split into different images horistontally. I noticed this using Beta PBEs which are very fast.

I'm using a resolution of 2560 x 1440 with all settings maxed and AQC disabled.
Edit: I've tried mega low resolutions and minimum settings and it doesn't happen there. At some point as I increase the settings tearing starts to happen.

My computer system is:
AOC 32 Inch Monitor 5ms response time (Q3279VWF)
Graphics card: Asus Nvidia GFX 1660 Ti OC
CPU: Intel i5 7600K
Memory: 16Gb 2300Mhz (I think I can't remember which specific memory I'm running)
Motherboard: Asus Z270H Strix ROG

Graphics driver version: 31.0.15.2824
Sound driver: Nvidia high definition audio. 1.3.39.16

I have installed the latest drivers from Asus's website and Nvidia.

I don't remember X3 having this issue in the past but it has been a while since I played it. I do remember audio codecs being an issue but that caused a severe drop in frame rate and that's not happening here.
I did take screen shots of my audio and video codecs but it seems I can't just add that as an attachment and I need to add a link using img tags and I will do that tomorrow.

Has any one experienced anything similar to this and does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it? Or is it simply a case of X3 being old and not mega compatible with modern systems?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Last edited by ItWasntMe on Thu, 2. Feb 23, 03:37, edited 2 times in total.
Split say: ***Arrrg!!!***

ItWasntMe
x3ap

Re: [X3] Horisontal Graphics Tearing in X3 Reunion (v2.5a)

Post by ItWasntMe » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 03:29

I found a solution. I changed the vertical sync to adaptive in the geforce control panel.

I hear the problem is caused by graphics card sending frames before the monitor has finished displaying the previous one but if that is true then why did it get better when I lowered the settings to the minimum? This is the kind of thing I'm interested in so if anyone knows why this happens I'd love to hear about it but beyond that I'm good and I can continue gaming. Well after I get some sleep because it's 2am.
Last edited by ItWasntMe on Thu, 2. Feb 23, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [Solved] [X3] Horizontal Graphics Tearing in X3 Reunion (v2.5a)

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 10:50

Vsync in this case is actually a measure specifically designed to prevent screen tearing. The downside is that it locks display fps to whatever the cpu single game thread and display refresh rate can achieve at that time in various fixed multiples (eg from such as 60, 30, 15, etc fps), always rounding down.

In other words, the fps rate is less smooth and dynamic as it is changed at predefined rate steps. A game situation on a 60 Hz display that could have displayed at say 50 fps without Vsync albeit with possible tearing, will display at 30 fps without tearing if Vsync is on.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

ItWasntMe
x3ap

Re: [Solved] [X3] Horizontal Graphics Tearing in X3 Reunion (v2.5a)

Post by ItWasntMe » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 13:38

Ah so while it solves the problem it also messes with the FPS. It seems to be fine for now but will have to see what happens when I try games that are a bit more demanding than X3 Reunion. I might do a few tests with the rolling demo to see what effect vsync has and play with the settings a bit.

Thanks for that. I do find this stuff interesting.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”