X2 The Threat, fps drop when voice plays (W10)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Skeeter
x3

Re: X2 The Threat, fps drop when voice plays (W10)

Post by Skeeter » Tue, 8. Nov 22, 08:28

https://www.videoconverterfactory.com/t ... codec.html

Tho i think u can also find out the codec info on vlc player.

Then u should be able to find it tho i think it was mmpeg 2 or something tho it could be quicktime which ull need to find a really old version maybe to install like qt 3 and it might fix it who knows (find out the version of the time the game came out) tho might not even install these days. Tho could be wrong, pm cbj maybe to find the right codec tho tbh windows should these days have all needed codecs.

U could try setting the game/mon to 60hz since its a old game, and use vsync. Dunno if that would help but maybe worth a go.

A dirty fix is to disable the videos by renaming the mov files, the videos wont play but the audio should, but half the fun is seeing those characters imo but up to u.

Here is quicktime 6.x info and dl which is 2002-3 ish, might be helpful https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuickTime#QuickTime_6.x http://www.oldversion.com/windows/quicktime-6-3-0

edit removed klite stuff from post, just incase makes it worse.
Last edited by Skeeter on Tue, 8. Nov 22, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 8. Nov 22, 13:21

Klite codec pack is often very bad news with older X games. It doesn't just install the codec(s) you want; it installs all of their pack including some known to have older X game issues. It will keep reinstalling them if you manually delete any for as long as klite is still installed.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Tue, 8. Nov 22, 17:30

Hmm i only brought klite up cos thought i saw u saying it was one way maybe to fix it, personally id avoid using such a pack. was more of a last ditch effort. I also wouldnt really personally have anything to do with quicktime stuff either but i think that the mov files are using codecs from it.

Anyhow spend most of the evening trying to find help for this issue and posted some stuff for OP. Hope it helps.

Maybe ego one day can do a little bit of touching up for the game with the source code and update a few things like fix mouse control, fix the mov files etc so its more compatible with modern hardware and os.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 8. Nov 22, 17:40

Thanks Skeeter, but that bit about klite sounds about-face to what I would have said. Anyway, the real advice on codecs as provided in Sticky threads is copied at post 2 of this thread.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”