x2 stays in windowed mode after upgrade from win8.1 to win10 - easy workaround aval.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

chrismokvack
x4

x2 stays in windowed mode after upgrade from win8.1 to win10 - easy workaround aval.

Post by chrismokvack » Sat, 2. Jan 16, 10:20

Ever since I upgraded from windows 8.1 to windows 10, x2 the threat runs in a window that covers the entire screen. I tried changing to various different resolutions, but the problem persists. I can't seem to find any setting for fullscreen. Any solution?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 3. Jan 16, 14:16

We know that Win10 and X2 sometimes throw up unsupported resolutions so perhaps try again using a resolution that your monitor is comfortable with and see if that helps.

An old thread also said that reinstalling DirectX 9.0c can sometimes help with this type of issue.

You could try adding -f to the command line of the exe or shortcut that runs the game to see if that forces fullscreen mode.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

chrismokvack
x4

Post by chrismokvack » Sun, 3. Jan 16, 14:38

Ye I read the compatibility notes for windows 10, that's why I tried with different resolutions. I tried the ones I recognized from before. Now I've tested every single one, and the only difference is the size and shape of the window. None of them will give me full screen. I found the fullscreen/windowed setting - it was staring me at the face all along, but apparantly it was already set to fullscreen. I've already installed DirectX 9c for another game, so that's not the issue. -f didn't do the trick.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 3. Jan 16, 15:18

If this is a Steam version you can check the Steam game set-up options. Here is a method to get borderless windowed mode which some like as it has the screen usage advantages of full screen mode while making switching to other apps using Alt-Tab really safe and simple.
  • To get borderless windows:

1.Go to SET LAUNCH OPTIONS
    2.Add "/borderless /windowed" no quotes
    3.Start game and turn-off full screen

chrismokvack
x4

Post by chrismokvack » Sun, 3. Jan 16, 18:26

Apparently I can't set my native resolution in windowed mode (though it does work in fullscreen mode), so I can only get a window smaller than my screen. Antialiasing doesn't work in windowed mode either. so even if I could get rid of the border this way I'm not sure it would be an overall improvement.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 3. Jan 16, 20:58

I'm running out of ideas, sorry. Hopefully a current X2 player using Win10 may be able to help you further.

shawncrites
x4

Post by shawncrites » Tue, 5. Jan 16, 22:29

Smae issue here too!! I have tried everything X3 reunion and up run fine but any X game under that will not run in fullscreen mode even if its checked or -f is in the line!! It has to besomething within the ini or Direct x I just cant figure out what!! Maybe Egosoft could figure it out and update the .exe I bought the superbox off of steam along with the X rebirth!!

chrismokvack
x4

Post by chrismokvack » Thu, 21. Jul 16, 00:08

Looks like a solution has finally been found, and it was a ridiculously easy one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5qcathK4Mk

After you have starteded X2, open the task manager, go to the process tab, find x2, expand it, right click x2 and click maximize.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”