X3 Stops working crash

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 30. Nov 15, 11:47

I know the last reply was to a dormant thread but I think this is worth a further comment. The fact that the vast majority of users are not seeing these crashes even when using SETA/autopillock indicates that such problems are indeed likely to be specific to particular systems, set-ups and/or usage habits.

The trick is in testing and eliminating various aspects of the crashing system and set-up until the actual fault trigger can be found. The suspects are usually narrowed down by following the fairly logical system of steps and trials that we recommend.

However, sometimes it turns out to be due to another application, driver, service or setting that often appears to be nothing to do with playing the X game, or it may even be due to a rare combination of circumstances. Those are much harder to pin down!
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

vibrutal

Post by vibrutal » Mon, 30. Nov 15, 21:26

English isn't my native language.
I find it difficult to explain in English. But I want to try.
The fact that the vast majority of users are not seeing these crashes even when using SETA/autopillock...
What about me? I had five different PC between 2006 and 2015 years.
Different architecture and manufacturers of processors (AMD, Pentium, i3), different manufacturers of matherboard chipset (north and south),
video card, drivers, DirectX (from 7 to 11).
But all time when I used "two mouse click" for traveling to station in another sector I had high chance catch this glitch in current game sesion later.
When I used "command consol >> Navigation" this never happened.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 30. Nov 15, 22:19

Thank you for the explanation which is very helpful. This does not sound like a specific hardware or driver fault but still might be because of the way you set things up and perhaps other things that you like to use and set up on all your systems. It could also be that you use the game in a particular way that few others do.

".. when I used "two mouse click" for traveling to station in another sector .." - That may well be a part of the particular 'usage habit' that we are looking for but I suspect there is more to this.

Now we need to try to find the other factor(s) that cause the crash when you are doing this type of operation. As it probably does not happen every time, or at the very moment you start doing that, there has to be something else in combination with that action which causes this type of crash that most others are not seeing.

I don't know if the error messages you get can help to identify this problem.

As I said, these are difficult fault circumstances to identify but I agree that it is annoying when it happens.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”