dual monitor support for ati 9700

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

bird
x2

dual monitor support for ati 9700

Post by bird » Thu, 27. Nov 03, 05:50

I have seen various people claim that X2 can use multiple monitors - e.g. to put the "ship monitors" or "cameras" onto the secondard display. well, I have a r9700pro and a second monitor connected to its DVI output.

In win2k this gives me 2 working monitors, and doubles the desktop space available to me.

I have found nothing in X2 to let me use this monitor. Would someone WHO KNOWS HOW TO DO IT please reply and show me how to set it up??

Please, lets not have this thread fill up with people saying "yes it can be done, but I dont know how to do it". There's plenty of those threads out there already :-)

cheers, Bird
There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand computers, and those who don't.

GnatB
x3

Re: dual monitor support for ati 9700

Post by GnatB » Thu, 27. Nov 03, 07:34

bird wrote:I have seen various people claim that X2 can use multiple monitors - e.g. to put the "ship monitors" or "cameras" onto the secondard display. well, I have a r9700pro and a second monitor connected to its DVI output.

In win2k this gives me 2 working monitors, and doubles the desktop space available to me.

I have found nothing in X2 to let me use this monitor. Would someone WHO KNOWS HOW TO DO IT please reply and show me how to set it up??

Please, lets not have this thread fill up with people saying "yes it can be done, but I dont know how to do it". There's plenty of those threads out there already :-)

cheers, Bird
Well, not what you're looking for, but every post I've seen on the subject by people that know and/or have searched other boards seem to indicate that after much experimentation, ATI cards don't *truly* support multiple monitors... they fake it on the desktop, but games (not just X²) don't work multi-monitor on 'em.... so, looks like you'll have to use a different V-Card to do multi-monitor.

alex hall
x3tc

Post by alex hall » Thu, 27. Nov 03, 11:19

Check my reply on multiple monitors thread (sorry for not linking it)

The problem is with the way ATI support the extended desktop. This means that you cannot play X2 across multiple monitors with say a resolution of 2048*768, which is a shame.

What you can do is download a utility called Multimon http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/ which will allow you to set up a hot-key to make a window span both monitors. It does this tho by stretching the window.

i.e. If you play X2 in a window rather than full screen. And you then make it span both monitors with Multimon (making it seem like it is running at 2048*768) and then do an in game screen shot by pressing F9. The screen shot will actually be at a resolution of 1024*768.

Hope that makes sense...

To summarise:

ATI Cards - Currently you cannot play X2 with multiple monitors (go to www.rage3d.com and read more there and hassle ATI to put proper multiple monitor support in their drivers.

Nvidia - I believe you can do multiple monitor support with the inbuild nView utility that allows you to create a real extended desktop of 2048*768 for example. (Can a Nvidia card owner please confirm this??)

Matrox - You can do multiple monitors, e.g. 3 monitors with the Parhelia card.

hth

alex
[/u]

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Thu, 27. Nov 03, 11:28

Just a quick question. If you are centred on the middle of the screen and then display it over 2 monitors, surely the most critical section of the screen will be split in half? Or is it more intelligent thatn this?

Al
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

wilhil

Post by wilhil » Thu, 27. Nov 03, 12:05

imagine playing on this screen, but look at the price, i think I would have to save up for quite a while!

http://www.go-l.com/monitors/grand_cany ... /index.htm

(edit - deleted duplicate post - Abyss)

alex hall
x3tc

Post by alex hall » Thu, 27. Nov 03, 18:21

Just a quick question. If you are centred on the middle of the screen and then display it over 2 monitors, surely the most critical section of the screen will be split in half? Or is it more intelligent thatn this?
Its best to have either 3 screens... or if using 2 screens I would expect people to have the additional camera views on one monitor and the normal main view on the other. (I presume this is possible.. don't have the game yet myself)

alex

Lyynx
x2

Post by Lyynx » Fri, 28. Nov 03, 13:39

Ok, I got this working. I'm using a Leadtek FX5600. I plug second monitor into the second port using the adapter. Set up using nView to tell it to have a horizontal span. currently using 3200 x 1200 display. Go into X2 and tell it to use either same resolution or any other where the width is double size. ie 2048 x 1024.

The game then runs across both screens. Go into the config menu (esc) and tell it you want monitors on Dual-1-1 or Dual 1-4. normally that menu option says Top left or top left, top right, or whatever. it must sense you have a second monitor and gives the other options.

my only grip is that the menus now come up split across both monitors. my monitors are different sizes and so its hard to read. Cant seem to get the menus to stick to left side of screen which would solve problem. any ideas anyone?

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”