[X3] A tool to fix your directshow codecs (sound problems and performance)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Thorbin
x3tc

Re: Getting run time error when attempting to Attach X3

Post by Thorbin » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 04:36

MadBoris wrote:
Thorbin wrote:I am getting the following error message when attempting to Attach X3:

Run-time error '429':

ActiveX component can't create object

Otherwise, the tool seems to work fine.
There are many reasons that the 429 error could come up.
Does the "File Checker" from the tool menu work ok?

File Checker's Test for mismatched files works fine. It generated the following errors:

System32: These files generated this error (Your version is older)
gcdef.dll
diactfrm.dll
winhlp32.exe
dimap.dll
npwmsdrm.dll

Dllcache: These files generated this error (Your version is older)
gcdef.dll
diactfrm.dll
dimap.dll

MadBoris
x3

Post by MadBoris » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 04:48

Now I know your error isn't related to the database files.
I will look into the problem more.

Three of the DX9C files revolve around the Direct Input for Keyboard, mouse and joystick input. For some reason these files didn't get updated from DirectX9C. I wouldn't be too concerned about them.

Winhlp and NPWM.. aren't worth doing anything about.

Thx for the feedback.

cooldoud
x3

Post by cooldoud » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 10:52

MadBoris wrote:Running wmfdist. on a Media Player 10 version is not a good idea. All older files and will cause more problems than helps. The ACM Handler is a bit tricky but I have been working with someone for a few days that just got their speech working so a Media Player 10 install is the start here. Step by step.
Oops, didn't know the included files were WM9 :oops: sorry for that.
Then of course yes, reinstalling WM10 seems better ;)
You can't catch them using strength,
eels are like women, if you hold them down forcibly, they'll just run away

bendyspex
x3

Post by bendyspex » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 11:03

I have my graph showing all white, like this:
[ external image ]
And when I attach to X3 I get this:
[ external image ]
I have the sound loop bug everytime within a minute of loading my previous save game. When I start a new game it runs fine, but after about 30 mins it also has the bug.

masrock
x3tc

Post by masrock » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 11:59

I'd just like to thank madboris for his effort. Cheers mate.

I had no speech in the game, -space station announcements or ship to ship communication.

Using the tools dshow viewer and dsfmgr I found the rogue dlls and also my wms speech decoder (wmspdmod.dll) was not listed, eevn though it was installed in the system 32 folder.

adding new codec with dsfmgr didn't help, it was grey and you couln't set its priority. Reinstalling media player 10 worked though and all seems well.

Now lets see if this fix and patch 1.3 do the trick and stop freezing of the game as well as the dound fix.

Ta
Masrock

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 11:59

MadBoris wrote:
cooldoud wrote:
pixel wrote:Ii.e. there is no other codec to replace what the ASF ACM codec does

please help :cry:
Do you have "WMSpeech Decoder DMO" in the filter manager list ? If you do, try raising its merit, and if you don't, you obviously miss a codec. Considering its name, I guess this is part of the Windows Media codec pack that comes with X3's CD. Try running WMFDIST.exe on your CD and see if this fixes your problem.
Running wmfdist. on a Media Player 10 version is not a good idea. All older files and will cause more problems than helps. The ACM Handler is a bit tricky but I have been working with someone for a few days that just got their speech working so a Media Player 10 install is the start here. Step by step.
Boris, top bloke

I am now running on my old hardrive, which runs the game fine, but I will look at my new hardrive and supply screenies in the new year, cheers pixel
"I find your lack of belief in the Three Dimensionality disturbing." Mercenary

"So getting this chick back is more than just getting a chick back. It's the concrete manifestation of an abstract policy goal. And we like concrete - right, Vic?"

Red wine...the only way to frag

raflegan
x3

Post by raflegan » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 12:23

Hi,
I get those random freezes and attach to X3 gives the following output:

[ external image ]

The DirectShow Graph shows no red entries and with the file checker i have the same files in red as Thorbin (except npwmsdrm.dll which doesn't appear in red).
It seems odd that X3.exe is using some Symantec AntiSpam .dlls.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 13:03

Right, let's make this a sticky thread and get everyone to use it shall we? :)

MadBoris
x3

Post by MadBoris » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 13:10

BendySpex,

Unfortunately I can't see all the red files, their is no save to text function yet ;(

Well for your sound loop bug we should really, get things back to normal to eliminate possible issues conflicts of splitter, etc.

Someone above mentioned that the eax.dll was causing them problems. Obviously this is supposed to handle eax functions but I have EAX on as well as many others without this DLL. Try and rename it temporarily, remember your battlefront game probably needs it.

Just jot down your changes you make, the program is not designed to remember them yet. Also Raise MPEG I Stream Splitter to prefferred 00800000. Lower merit on your PVA_DMA.ax and LMPGAD.ax and attach again and see. Maybe you can scroll down and cut and paste more of the picture. Let me know

MadBoris
x3

Post by MadBoris » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 13:11

CBJ wrote:Right, let's make this a sticky thread and get everyone to use it shall we? :)
Let's go for it!

Diesel309
x3

Post by Diesel309 » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 13:13

Cheers Madboris this tool is great :D the two red files I had now sorted :D

Haven't had time to test the effects yet but "No problems found" is always good to hear.

Just for reference

MSCTF.DLL is used by ctfmon ( speech recognition etc for MS office ) to remove/disable http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282599

MSLBUI.DLL is used by language bar in regional settings also fixed with above link.

Cheers Bud

MadBoris
x3

Post by MadBoris » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 13:18

raflegan wrote:Hi,
I get those random freezes and attach to X3 gives the following output:

The DirectShow Graph shows no red entries and with the file checker i have the same files in red as Thorbin (except npwmsdrm.dll which doesn't appear in red).
It seems odd that X3.exe is using some Symantec AntiSpam .dlls.
Filechecker is Ok then, I would either add X3 to a spam exclusion list or temporarily disable AntiSpam. Then restart X3 and see if their are still any red files.

Marijn
x3tc

Post by Marijn » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 13:33

I've ran the tools and the initial graph didn't show anything red. all seemed fine, when attached to X3 msctf.dll showed up and 3 dlls needed for my joystick. It worked fine it the past so i'm guessing that's not the issue.
I do get the sound loop + screen freeze bug though.

I had it once before upgrading to 1.3 and also after 1.3 upgrade. Oddly enough when i played a "normal" game there were no problems, now i'm playing as a bankrupt assasin there seem to be problems.

edit1.
ok i've removed msctf.dll.. i'll do some testing to see if this fixes things.

MadBoris
x3

Post by MadBoris » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 13:44

Marijn wrote:It worked fine it the past so i'm guessing that's not the issue.
I do get the sound loop + screen freeze bug though.
Nobody knows yet what causes the sound loop or screen freeze bug for sure, as far as I know. See the above link by diesel309 if you want to remove that file.

What joystick do you have and what are the files?

BTW, you can double click the cells and it will copy them to clipboard so you can paste.(Feature mention)

MadBoris
x3

Post by MadBoris » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 13:48

Diesel309 wrote:Cheers Madboris this tool is great :D the two red files I had now sorted :D
Thx
Just curious did you have any in game issues?
I didn't see you mention it, or are you just house cleaning making sure that things are ok ? 8)

Bean101
x3

Post by Bean101 » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 14:43

This is such a great tool. When I ran it I only had one thing come up (lucky me), but fixing it improved the sound performance loads! At last I can actually hear things and I haven't had a CTD for hours (I had even after the 1.3 patch). So happy I can finally play the game I bought 2 months ago, just in time for Christmas. :D

Mad Boris, will you marry me? I'm neither single nor gay, but I think we can make it work.
"In the beginning there was nothing... which exploded." - Abridged 'Big Bang' theory

MadBoris
x3

Post by MadBoris » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 14:51

Bean101 wrote:This is such a great tool. When I ran it I only had one thing come up (lucky me), but fixing it improved the sound performance loads! At last I can actually hear things and I haven't had a CTD for hours (I had even after the 1.3 patch). So happy I can finally play the game I bought 2 months ago, just in time for Christmas. :D

Mad Boris, will you marry me? I'm neither single nor gay, but I think we can make it work.
Great! Merry Christmas. Good to know the long hours I pushed this week(weeks actually) is making a positive impact.
I like to hear the good and the bad :D
Sorry, just got married ;)

raflegan
x3

Post by raflegan » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 15:38

thanks for the advice MadBoris, but the Symantec Outlook Express Anti Spam Hook .dll is still loaded, even if i disable Norton AntiSpam, Norton AntiVirus and Norton InternetSecurity.
I wonder why X3 would load such a .dll, i think it should only be used by Outlook Express.

MadBoris
x3

Post by MadBoris » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 15:46

raflegan wrote:thanks for the advice MadBoris, but the Symantec Outlook Express Anti Spam Hook .dll is still loaded, even if i disable Norton AntiSpam, Norton AntiVirus and Norton InternetSecurity.
I wonder why X3 would load such a .dll, i think it should only be used by Outlook Express.
Actually X3 isn't initializing the loading of it. The Anti-Spam tool is "hooking" into it. So the cause is the Anti-Spam software still running. You may need to look at your processes to see if norton processes are still running.
Also if there is a disable check box, it probably requires a reboot anyway.

Unless I am missing something and that asoehook.dll is registered to initialize with every application, I guess that is possible.
Last edited by MadBoris on Fri, 23. Dec 05, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.

MadBoris
x3

Post by MadBoris » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 15:52

I just made an update to the main topic.

It's at the bottom called Addendums and Edits.
I will collate major information that is beneficial to all and that is easy to find there at the bottom of the initial topic.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”