[X3] A tool to fix your directshow codecs (sound problems and performance)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

MadBoris
x3

Post by MadBoris » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 01:59

bendyspex wrote:I have tried the game with all the correct codecs and I still get the sound loop bug. Oh well, I guess I'll have to try something else :(
So you tried the "attach to X3" and it said "no errors". And your graph screen looks completely white? How about the filechecker, No errors?

Right click in the "Source and Description" column, you can play back the individual file types. See if you get your looping bug there or any anomalies.

Also, there are codecs that can actually over take the 'default direct sound device'. But presently I had no way to show that.
Last edited by MadBoris on Fri, 23. Dec 05, 02:47, edited 1 time in total.

MadBoris
x3

Post by MadBoris » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 02:05

Sandalpocalypse wrote:I tried deleting wmspdmod.dll, but reinstalling the WMP codec pak just gives me the same file with the same date, and there's still a problem in the DSFM.

I'll try the K-Lite codec pak.
Whoa there. Deleting wmspdmod.dll is not the solution here. What is the date and version? You are supposed to 10.0.0.3646. If you don';t I can help you fix that.
Unknown module is ok, Direct Show Manager apoplication doesn't recognize it.
I guess I'm not following the actual problems. Screen shots would be very helpful. You can use www.imageshack.us

Diesel309
x3

Post by Diesel309 » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 02:07

Excellent Tool mate well done.

Got two files showing red when I attach to X3 ( perfect graph though )

MSCTF.DLL & MSLBUI.DLL but they don't seem to have anything to do with X3 codecs ( MS files one is a language bar and the other something to do with Office )

Should I just ignore or do something about them.

Cheers Bud

MadBoris
x3

Post by MadBoris » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 02:18

pixel wrote:I have ASF ACM Handler, this and Windows Media source filter are the only bits in red, and they are red where I have the problem in game - i.e. in SPEECH

2 bits in red is 2 more than 0

A few questions?

You have speech problems cutting out correct?
Next, if you check carefully in filter manager you will notice that your ASF ACM HANDLER is actually a file called dxmasf.dll,6.04.0009.1125
It should not be!
When in a proper working version the ASF ACM Handler(and all the ASF's) should be controlled by wmpasf.dll 10.0.0.3646.

A reinstall of media Player 10 is the first start here. Let me know. Drop me a picture so I can see where the media source filter is. One thing at a time lets focus on the ACM handler and speech. This is the trickiest one in the thread here and just takes some patience. I just finished fixing this exact issue with someone else over a couple daysof troubleshooting, so we will get the speech going. MP10 install first.
Last edited by MadBoris on Fri, 23. Dec 05, 02:32, edited 2 times in total.

MadBoris
x3

Post by MadBoris » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 02:22

cooldoud wrote:
pixel wrote:Ii.e. there is no other codec to replace what the ASF ACM codec does

please help :cry:
Do you have "WMSpeech Decoder DMO" in the filter manager list ? If you do, try raising its merit, and if you don't, you obviously miss a codec. Considering its name, I guess this is part of the Windows Media codec pack that comes with X3's CD. Try running WMFDIST.exe on your CD and see if this fixes your problem.
Running wmfdist. on a Media Player 10 version is not a good idea. All older files and will cause more problems than helps. The ACM Handler is a bit tricky but I have been working with someone for a few days that just got their speech working so a Media Player 10 install is the start here. Step by step.

MadBoris
x3

Post by MadBoris » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 02:23

capirex wrote:Is wm10 bettter for x3 than wm9? (i got the latter at the mo, got the crackle / pop sound prob)
Definitely go for Media Player 10. It does a great job of fixing file version problems from media player 10 and codec issues.

MadBoris
x3

Post by MadBoris » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 02:28

Jokey77 wrote:has anyone encountered problems with:

HKCYDLL2.dll

CLM1Splter2.ax
CLM2Splter2.ax

This might have an effect in my case... will update you soon...
Yes I ran into clmsplitters, they are a performance killer. Believe it or not they get installed with creative sound cards software suite (for all you audigy owners who installed all the software on the CD). You will want to lower there merit or raise MPEG I Stream splitter to 00800000 (preferred)

Show me a picture I will help with the other.
drop pictures here www.imageshack.us and drop me a link.

MadBoris
x3

Post by MadBoris » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 02:41

Just a reminder guys. It would really help me to see screen pictures of your situations. I need to to know what "source" the files are part of(MPEG, MP3, etc). You waited this long to get things worked out, so just a bit of patience and you will get it worked out. Tricky issues do come up like the ACM handler that are not as easy as one might think. If it gets lowered the directshow graph for speech breaks, when you would think wmspdmod.dll should take over. The problem is a deeper registry and file issue. But we will tackle the sticky issues too. :)

So if your not sure, just wait, instead of trying things that you are not sure about. Just give me some time and I will get back to you.

I'm glad you guys like it. Hopefully it fixes your crashesd cooldoud, I definitely believe some crashes can lead back to this stuff between codecs and file version issues. Remember a picture on image shack is worth a thousand words. :)

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 02:44

[ external image ]

I tried it just for the sake of it but my hardware/tech skills are 0 :)

I dont have any real issue's although I also dont have a game more than a few hours

Anything there that looks troublesome?

If i had glue in here I'd throw some at this, and promote you also ;)

:thumb_up: Top Man!
LV's TC Scripts
Readme's For All My Scripts

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

MadBoris
x3

Post by MadBoris » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 03:05

LV wrote:[ external image ]

I tried it just for the sake of it but my hardware/tech skills are 0 :)

I dont have any real issue's although I also dont have a game more than a few hours

Anything there that looks troublesome?

If i had glue in here I'd throw some at this, and promote you also ;)

:thumb_up: Top Man!
Hehe, thx for the screen pic. This is exactly what I want to see. This is the christmas tree lights I mentioned in my initial topic and this is not good but may not be horrible either but something obviously is off. If you haven't seen any real problems then that is good. What you are seeing is most likely due to improperly registered codecs or orphaned registry entries. Sometimes it is as easy as re-registering a particular codec.
Filmerit is a good tool that actually shows some diagnostics of filters if you want to look at it, maybe you will see some that are in error. We will cross the bridge then.
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Filmerit.htm

First off you can see clearly that Zone alarm has it's greedy spam claws around your X3 game, so that could hurt your performance and you probably should do something about that, X3 isn't spam is it ? ;)

Real issues may take more than a few hours to manifest, but I would say you would be very likely dealing with a performance hit atleast.

Here's how to most likely over come this:
Open Direct Show Manager and find MPEG I Stream Splitter
Double click on it. In the top right you can adjust the merit raise it to PREFERRRED 00800000, then click "Set Merit". Then reboot your computer(a reboot is required for merit changes to actually take effect) and try attaching to X3 again, some if not all of that red should disappear.
Send me another pic or let me know.

MadACR
x3tc

Post by MadACR » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 03:47

watch out for EAX.DLL it is not cached though so you can rename it if you got it. Solved my CTD on PSG issue

MadBoris
x3

Post by MadBoris » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 03:53

Diesel309 wrote:Excellent Tool mate well done.

Got two files showing red when I attach to X3 ( perfect graph though )

MSCTF.DLL & MSLBUI.DLL but they don't seem to have anything to do with X3 codecs ( MS files one is a language bar and the other something to do with Office )

Should I just ignore or do something about them.

Cheers Bud
Well, they aren't codecs as you mentioned. It is a bit strange they are hooking to X3. Maybe if you searched for the files you would get a better idea if they are part of a program. If you have no problems, well I guess don't be overly concerned but some malware camouflage themselves as mslbui.dll.

Thorbin
x3tc

Getting run time error when attempting to Attach X3

Post by Thorbin » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 03:59

I am getting the following error message when attempting to Attach X3:

Run-time error '429':

ActiveX component can't create object

Otherwise, the tool seems to work fine.

MadBoris
x3

Post by MadBoris » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 04:10

MadACR wrote:watch out for EAX.DLL it is not cached though so you can rename it if you got it. Solved my CTD on PSG issue
Really? Did you see that with the tool or some other means?
Cool to hear you solved your CTD issue.

MadBoris
x3

Re: Getting run time error when attempting to Attach X3

Post by MadBoris » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 04:19

Thorbin wrote:I am getting the following error message when attempting to Attach X3:

Run-time error '429':

There are many reasons that the 429 error could come up.
Does the "File Checker" from the tool menu work ok?

Thorbin
x3tc

Re: Getting run time error when attempting to Attach X3

Post by Thorbin » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 04:36

MadBoris wrote:
Thorbin wrote:I am getting the following error message when attempting to Attach X3:

Run-time error '429':

There are many reasons that the 429 error could come up.
Does the "File Checker" from the tool menu work ok?

File Checker's Test for mismatched files works fine. It generated the following errors:

System32: These files generated this error (Your version is older)
gcdef.dll
diactfrm.dll
winhlp32.exe
dimap.dll
npwmsdrm.dll

Dllcache: These files generated this error (Your version is older)
gcdef.dll
diactfrm.dll
dimap.dll

MadBoris
x3

Post by MadBoris » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 04:48

Now I know your error isn't related to the database files.
I will look into the problem more.

Three of the DX9C files revolve around the Direct Input for Keyboard, mouse and joystick input. For some reason these files didn't get updated from DirectX9C. I wouldn't be too concerned about them.

Winhlp and NPWM.. aren't worth doing anything about.

Thx for the feedback.

cooldoud
x3

Post by cooldoud » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 10:52

MadBoris wrote:Running wmfdist. on a Media Player 10 version is not a good idea. All older files and will cause more problems than helps. The ACM Handler is a bit tricky but I have been working with someone for a few days that just got their speech working so a Media Player 10 install is the start here. Step by step.
Oops, didn't know the included files were WM9 :oops: sorry for that.
Then of course yes, reinstalling WM10 seems better ;)
You can't catch them using strength,
eels are like women, if you hold them down forcibly, they'll just run away

bendyspex
x3

Post by bendyspex » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 11:03

I have my graph showing all white, like this:
[ external image ]
And when I attach to X3 I get this:
[ external image ]
I have the sound loop bug everytime within a minute of loading my previous save game. When I start a new game it runs fine, but after about 30 mins it also has the bug.

masrock
x3tc

Post by masrock » Fri, 23. Dec 05, 11:59

I'd just like to thank madboris for his effort. Cheers mate.

I had no speech in the game, -space station announcements or ship to ship communication.

Using the tools dshow viewer and dsfmgr I found the rogue dlls and also my wms speech decoder (wmspdmod.dll) was not listed, eevn though it was installed in the system 32 folder.

adding new codec with dsfmgr didn't help, it was grey and you couln't set its priority. Reinstalling media player 10 worked though and all seems well.

Now lets see if this fix and patch 1.3 do the trick and stop freezing of the game as well as the dound fix.

Ta
Masrock

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”