Rogues Revenge Ch 9 completed 13/7/03

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

Adamskini
x3tc

Post by Adamskini » Mon, 14. Jul 03, 19:16

\o/
Aug 2000 -> March 2001 - Old Skool Egosoft Forum
March 2001 -> Nov 2002 - THQ forum
Nov 2002 -> now - Current, prettier Egosoft Forum

[anybody remember The Enforcers?!]

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Tue, 15. Jul 03, 00:32

1) welcome timb :D

2) Steve, one thing that I noticed:

"what else he’d dare" - you were refering to Morn here, I believe. SHE?

3) Steve, I lied, I noticed two things :D

The reason for the Bliss Place to be re-built in Menelaus Paradise is protection, I presume. But it very much makes it a 'we deliver to your front door' venture, doesn't it? I mean apart from that on clan in Ghinns Escape there is no way pirate TS' will make it through to him and pick up their own.

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Tue, 15. Jul 03, 09:48

KiwiNZ wrote:

The reason for the Bliss Place to be re-built in Menelaus Paradise is protection, I presume. But it very much makes it a 'we deliver to your front door' venture, doesn't it? I mean apart from that on clan in Ghinns Escape there is no way pirate TS' will make it through to him and pick up their own.

Had a very similar thought, the Bliss Place would be better positioned near a source of weed, so with the Fab in Scale Plate Green it appears that sector would be a much better location.

Also if Max is temporary custodian of Menelaus Paradise would the Boron really appreciate him building an "illegal" factory in their space. What happens when the fighting stops and the Boron then ask Max to hand back the sector... They may see such an act as offensive and withdraw support...

But again these are only thoughts and will maybe add an interesting twist in the story... :)

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Tue, 15. Jul 03, 10:13

KiwiNZ wrote:1) welcome timb :D

2) Steve, one thing that I noticed:

"what else he’d dare" - you were refering to Morn here, I believe. SHE?

Damn those libereated Teladi! Spot of the century there. :D

Your point about the transportation difficulty is correct, which is why the Boron territories were being supplied through a contracted TL. You can be sure Max has spotted the potential for profit here. :)

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Tue, 15. Jul 03, 10:29

Mercenary wrote:
KiwiNZ wrote:

Had a very similar thought, the Bliss Place would be better positioned near a source of weed, so with the Fab in Scale Plate Green it appears that sector would be a much better location.

Also if Max is temporary custodian of Menelaus Paradise would the Boron really appreciate him building an "illegal" factory in their space. What happens when the fighting stops and the Boron then ask Max to hand back the sector... They may see such an act as offensive and withdraw support...

But again these are only thoughts and will maybe add an interesting twist in the story... :)
The problem with Scale Plate Green is that without Daht it is vulnerable to attack and Max does not want to have to defend too many static points. Although he has the Swamp Weed factory there it is a relatively low value target and cheaply replaced. A Bliss Place would be more valuable and make two targets to defend.

With the clock ticking on the inevitable discovery of his hidden funding he is probably not overly concerned with legalities or upsetting the Boron too much. He is their best chance of retaining that sector so they'll have to provide leeway.

The next chapter will deal with business issues among other things.

At the moment there is no pirate base in Ghinns Escape but in Resurgence it was revealed that Nibris, the M.P factotum, feared Njy's alliance with a pirate clan.

“Then it’s good that one of us is well-connected Mr Force,” she smiled thinly. “I would seek another hobby, were I in your position. You really should not venture beyond Menalaus Paradise.”

“Are you saying that it’s forbidden?” Max asked carefully.

“No Max, if I could be less formal, wiser people than I have seen fit to grant you an unlimited license. You may kill yourself in any manner you please but it is my job to keep these sectors secure and given the weakness of my position I do that by provoking no-one. I don’t want history to remember Joahan Nibris as the person who started a new war with the Split or the Xenon. You are free to go beyond the gate but if you do there will be no aid from my sectors, no matter who your friends are.”

“Fair enough,” Max replied. “Where did the Clan ships come from?”

Nibris stiffened, visibly taking a slow breath as she phrased her reply.

“Split sectors Mr Force, Njy harbours them. One day soon a new clan will appear, here on the Frontier, and I will have another enemy at my throat.”

So we can see how Law manipulated her fears to get her co-operation while also being allied with Njy. He's been more cunning than a barrel full of weasels. :wink:

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Tue, 15. Jul 03, 11:16

Excellent,

Thanks for the recap :)

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Tue, 15. Jul 03, 11:38

Mercenary wrote:Excellent,

dito :D

a 'safer' place could be next to the chip fab, though. Still, there is the danger that he might lose two valuable stations in one go.

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Tue, 15. Jul 03, 12:00

KiwiNZ wrote:
Mercenary wrote:Excellent,

dito :D

a 'safer' place could be next to the chip fab, though. Still, there is the danger that he might lose two valuable stations in one go.
True, but with Xela based in the Chip Fab he would not want to stretch his defences to cover both. It makes more sense to Max to have it in MP where his main defences are and he can control sector access.

His TL is going to be pretty busy transporting materials.

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Tue, 15. Jul 03, 12:04

SteveMill wrote:
His TL is going to be pretty busy transporting materials.
that is what I thought. But then again, with half a dozen TS' onboard they should cope.

Return to “Creative Universe”