Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Sun, 23. Jun 13, 18:48

Awesome! :D

I love the shot of the Q going through the jumpgate.

Now I feel pretty confident that I simply missed this but what is sector designate alpha?
A Pirate's Story.pdf(KIA) by _Zap _ From Nothing.PDF(complete) by _Zap _ Prodigal Son(active) Original Thread, Prodigal Son_PDF

Song Of Obsidian
x3ap

Post by Song Of Obsidian » Sun, 23. Jun 13, 19:31

It's the Unknown Sector east of Zyarth's Dominion. Where he started, I think.

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Sun, 23. Jun 13, 19:37

Thanks!
A Pirate's Story.pdf(KIA) by _Zap _ From Nothing.PDF(complete) by _Zap _ Prodigal Son(active) Original Thread, Prodigal Son_PDF

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Sun, 23. Jun 13, 21:02

It is the Unknown sector east of Zyarth's, but that's not where I started. That was the unknown sector west of X-534 ;)

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Mon, 24. Jun 13, 04:32

Interesting. Why the change to the P over the Q?
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Mon, 24. Jun 13, 06:55

vukica wrote:i really love the style this is written in.

machine simplicity. identify, choose action, execute action, next line.
no unnecessary descriptions, just pure story, what happened and, more importaintly, why it happend
I have to agree wholeheartedly. I admire... and even envy... the elegance of the presentation. It's the story boiled down to the essentials.

Idleking
x3ap

Post by Idleking » Mon, 24. Jun 13, 10:42

Triaxx2 wrote:Interesting. Why the change to the P over the Q?
The P is designated as "Matey" and can dock to the Pirate Stations (to save the game).
As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

[ external image ]
Litcube wrote:Don't succumb to the "I figured it'd be ok".

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Mon, 24. Jun 13, 15:34

Triaxx2 wrote:Interesting. Why the change to the P over the Q?
I figured the P would have a better chance of making the run down through the Teladi border and crossing the Boron sectors. The Q might have the firepower, but it lacks the speed and agility. Trying to get past the Phoenix in Tears of Greed, for instance, would have been considerably harder in the Q than it was in the P.
Idleking wrote:The P is designated as "Matey" and can dock to the Pirate Stations (to save the game).
:lol: The P's designated 'Matey' because I thought it was amusing ;) Of course, I couldn't have docked in the Q, but the LX would have been just as good.

Poseidon
x3tc

Post by Poseidon » Mon, 24. Jun 13, 21:28

I want to post a positive, encouraging message, but you're kicking so much ass, i'm not certain what to say.

I'm enjoying this. Curious how you're going to progress, and how creative you're going to get. Well done.

jimlpearce

Post by jimlpearce » Mon, 24. Jun 13, 21:38

This is awesome
"You win again gravity"

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 25. Jun 13, 05:09

Ah, I see. Taking the easy way out. ;)

Kidding. The P is actually possibly the most lethal and agile Xenon ship of all. The PX has more firepower and weapon energy, but a P with a full bank of PAC's can shred enemies and keep shredding them for a hilariously long time. And it turns well enough to keep most fighters that are a threat in it's sights long enough to make them stop being a threat.

And if you're willing to go to ramming speed, you can knock out Kha'ak Vettes in one.

Idleking
x3ap

Post by Idleking » Tue, 25. Jun 13, 07:23

Triaxx2 wrote:[..]The P [..] turns well enough to keep most fighters that are a threat in it's sights long enough to make them stop being a threat.[..]
Yeah, I totally agree - I learned that the hard way :D
As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

[ external image ]

ruger44
x4

Post by ruger44 » Wed, 26. Jun 13, 18:53

Great writing, great idea for did. How big can this guy get. Could this meet Legion? Near combo .Looking forward to more.

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Sat, 29. Jun 13, 00:40

Thank you all for your kind comments :)
Triaxx2 wrote:Ah, I see. Taking the easy way out. ;)
Absolutely :p

So. I find myself staring at the list of mods and scripts in my library, and wondering which, if any, I should add. I'm considering CODEA, along with the Military and Personnel Transport scripts (although I will be setting some rules about acquisition of pilots and crew), Pirate Guild & Yaki Armada, Improved Boarding...and Marine Repairs. Of all of them, the one I'm most worried about is Marine Repairs. I really don't want it to unbalance my game.

So, what do you guys think?

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sat, 29. Jun 13, 01:27

Go for MARS instead of Marine Repair. Goblins can only repair to 80% I think and drones are easier to come by than marines. Plus the ship needs to basically sit still for them to do their stuff, so there's another point of balance. Even if you don't use it for anything else, it's still balanced.

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Sat, 29. Jun 13, 01:43

Triaxx2 wrote:Go for MARS instead of Marine Repair. Goblins can only repair to 80% I think and drones are easier to come by than marines. Plus the ship needs to basically sit still for them to do their stuff, so there's another point of balance. Even if you don't use it for anything else, it's still balanced.
That is a very intelligent solution. Also, if you want to be able to dock and repair fighters on a carrier without unbalancing your game you can use ADS or CODEA, although CODEA is absurdly expensive. It costs the same and is less hassle to just buy new ships. With ADS you still have to hire mechanics and you pay them an hourly retainer to keep them on and a much more expensive rate when they're actually working. (ADS will also let you train marines on m1's...)

...not sure how any of that fits in with Unit Zero, though...

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sat, 29. Jun 13, 01:53

Well, they do both automate the process of carrier operations, and you could say that the drain in credits is upkeep on the maintenance droids. The more work they're doing, the more it costs to keep the servos and other things operating at full capacity.

Idleking
x3ap

Post by Idleking » Sat, 29. Jun 13, 10:00

But that might be the problem with those addons.
Since he isn't allowed to do any trading, including selling ships, the only way of making money is (kill) missions for pirates.
Or going to the Yaki at the other end of the universe :P

[ external image ]

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Sat, 29. Jun 13, 13:21

Idleking wrote:But that might be the problem with those addons.
Since he isn't allowed to do any trading, including selling ships, the only way of making money is (kill) missions for pirates.
Or going to the Yaki at the other end of the universe
Well, the very fact that Kirlack is considering hiring marines at all implies that some kind of trading is on the agenda. Be it with pirates or the Yaki.

Speaking of which, both the Pirate Guild and Yaki Armada addons seriously improve the trading opportunities with those factions. The YA adds a Yaki equipment dock and a number of mobile command stations that will give you "missions" and the Pirate Guild makes the pirates much more organized and viable as trading partners, including shipyards in certain sectors. They too will offer additional opportunities to make money. My point is both of those could favor the game you're playing, depending on how you decide to play it.

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Sat, 29. Jun 13, 14:49

I've actually been considering a lot of options over the last week or so :)

For instance, with my no trading rule, can I buy engine/rudder/cargo bay upgrades? I didn't consider that when I was writing the rule set. And I've already bought some to upgrade the P.

So, where does that leave me in terms of repairs? Can I justify getting my ships repaired at a shipyard? Obviously I'd need to make friends before that becomes an option, but is it breaching the rules?

Pirate Guild and Yaki Armada both give me access to all kinds of software and extensions that I can't buy anywhere else, but also provide a means for me to make money 'on the fly' by taking out race marked bounty hunters. They'll also provide a whole range of new missions for me to attempt. And having the Pirate Guild shipyard adds a few stations that I couldn't otherwise buy, including Rehab facilities, but again I'm somewhat loathe to break my rules...

*sigh*

I really don't know. There's a lot I want to do with this game, but I'm not sure how much I can 'get away' with without breaking the fundamental rules set at the start.

Return to “Creative Universe”