Writing/Posting

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Writing/Posting

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Wed, 13. Jun 12, 23:24

Hi all I've been enjoying the tales of many of you who have written some great stuff. I am playing x3 Ap and I am planning to build an empire to support a fleet that will destroy all Terran fleets. and clear the war zones for good. I think I can write a good account of what has gone before and what will come but need to know some basics. do I just write in a post until I have reached a pause point in the story or can I store my writing without posting it until I have edited it into its final form. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am by the way awful at punctuation and like to review what I've written to ensure I don't go of track.

theroguewriter

Post by theroguewriter » Thu, 14. Jun 12, 00:53

I (though no expert) would suggest you just do what works for you and try to make it your own. Itcs hard to be original, but do your best and I am sure folks will enjoy reading.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Rw

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Thu, 14. Jun 12, 02:01

Thx for your swift response.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Thu, 14. Jun 12, 02:36

Everyone has their own style. If you're going to be very story heavy, you have a bit more freedom to work with. Look up Scion Drakhar's From Nothing. It's very heavy on story that goes well beyond gameplay. And it's awesome.

Nuklear-Slug on the other hand, managed a much more gameplay oriented story.

I'm not big on story, but mine turned out fairly popular. There are many different styles and we welcome all.

As for break points, I find that after I've accomplished something, is a good place to stop. There are natural lulls in the action, and those are always good places to stop. I recommend reading the DiD list, and it's tips, now located on the last page of the index topic.

Then go read Nuklear-Slug's DiD's, which are worth reading anyway, and you should have a good idea of what you want to do.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 14. Jun 12, 05:36

I'd have another approach... Use your gameplay as a muse to tickle ideas out of you... - Slavishly sticking to the truth would be a bit like a pompous politician's autobiography, so really throw in some wobblers...

If the game is used as a framework/setting for a story then it can then grow well beyond standard fan fiction (not that there is an issue with such)... - For me, if you use the game as a straitjacket = drab; use the game as an inspiration = entertainment.

I'll try and follow your story, if you don't mind.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Nathancros

Post by Nathancros » Thu, 14. Jun 12, 06:10

Do what you enjoy. thats the totality of my advice :)
Nullam et arcu vitae magna instabilitate omnia solvit

Am a recovering Addict of the CREATIVE FORUM.

Long live X3

gsheriston
x3tc

Post by gsheriston » Thu, 14. Jun 12, 22:57

Gavrushka wrote:I'd have another approach... Use your gameplay as a muse to tickle ideas out of you... - Slavishly sticking to the truth would be a bit like a pompous politician's autobiography, so really throw in some wobblers...
That's what I did - play the game, take inspiration from it, build small stories around small incidents (like - why is this person going from here to there?), try and weave them into a bigger story. Have fun with it more than absolutely anything. I had more fun writing my story than I did playing the game, in the end.

Good luck!

Return to “Creative Universe”