Eye of the storm - DiD (TC 3.2) [KIA]

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Mon, 30. Jul 12, 20:01

Aaand we're back again. Just took me a friggin' month to get my gears spinning again ...
For those of you thinking (or hoping :p) this story had died, it's still very much alive and kicking. Besides, I finally managed to get the last parts for my computer out of customs hell, so I will hopefully be able to get my new gaming rig up and running by the end of the week. Yay :D

Okey, enough yapping. Time for an update.

----------

Chapter 10 – If you start me up …

Personal log 768-05-02 – 18:26

I was about to dock at the solar power plant when the shipyard called me and told me the White Stripes had made it. I ordered them to check the systems and engines, and then load it with a 1 MJ shield factory. I'll admit it made my spine tingle a bit. I was finally going to set up my first ever station. Mine. Just mine. It made me grin like an idiot, and the Teladi I was talking to gave me a slightly worried look. I didn't care, I had a business to run now. A legit business nonetheless, which meant 'Judith' had to be extra nice, at least for a while. At least until I could afford to grease enough greedy claws to keep the local Phoenix off my back.

After ordering the Caiman south and taking a roid scan mission, plus giving the local military something to shoot at and picking up not one, but two roid scan missions along the way, I finally jumped to Ceo's Sprite and switched to the White Stripes. Damn, it was like flying a brick compared to the Eris. I muttered a few nasty words and called up Jo and Aron, who were on reactor and engine watch duty.
"How are we doing?" I asked.
"Green across the board, captain. We're good to go."
"Okey then, let's see what this baby can do."

The answer to that seemed to be "a lot, but it takes its sweet time getting around to do it." Truth be told it wasn't all that slow as opposed to the Eris, but it turned like a glacier and the long nose made me worry I might accidentally kill someone. With only 200 megajoule of shielding anything larger than a fighter would probably kill us too, so I was really careful when I took it out of the shipyard to put it that way.

And yeah, talking about slow. There was a Phoenix destroyer making its way toward the shipyard, and it took bloody ages for it to get that big ass clear of the gate so I could fly through. I thought about jumping, but I wanted to learn how it felt to fly it so I would just have to suck it up and twiddle my thumbs in the meantime.

Finally the gate cleared, and I could fly into Blue Profit and drop my station. I was so excited I had to keep myself from jumping around on the bridge. My very own station, bought with the result of my own blood, sweat and tears. Ok, mostly by sitting on my ass and flying something, but still. I wanted to jump, scream, laugh and cry all at the same time, and I'll admit my had was shaking a bit when I typed in the commands to deploy the station. Stars, this was exciting!

The tractor beam array on the White Stripes gently pushed the station out the hatch, and I watched as the station unfolded and took on its final shape. It was like watching a flower blossom, a masterfully orchestrated piece that came together in front of my very eyes. It felt almost like my baby or something. A high tech, twenty thousand metric ton baby, but still my baby. I'd hate to give birth to that big a baby, though, so I was happy the White Stripes did the job for me.

I even had the wits about me to take a few shots (no, not that kind) of my new and shiny acquisition.

Here's one.
Here's another.
Yep, a third one too.

Then a beep yanked me out of my thoughts. The Caiman had arrived, so I had to find a Commercial Agent, or CAG, which was just a fancy name for 'freighter pilot', and get it moving. Lucky for me I found a Teladi one at the local trading station, and although she was fresh out of flight school and a little green – no pun intended – I figured I could use her. Then we could both learn the ropes together, although I had a feeling she would have the easier job. Okey, Yagosias Gustiosanis Huritis the first – damn the Teladi and their tongue twisting names – let's see if you can keep my station stocked with energy and ore.

I'll admit I watched the station and little miss Huritis the first like a hawk, checking it every five minutes to see how they were doing. After she had spent fifteen minutes sitting on her ass and doing nothing I started to worry and wondered if I had done something wrong. I checked, double checked and triple checked everything, but no go. Turned out I had forgot to give her something to trade for, so I transferred 300 000 credits to the station and tried again. Success! Ya live, ya learn …

With my CAG on the way to get some resources for my station I relaxed a bit and started thinking of a name for my budding company. Since I was already heading down the mythology route with the Morrigan and the Eris I landed on Nyx, the old Terran personification of the night. Like the night I would cover the world, and no one would see what it was hiding. Thus the Nyx Trading Company, or NTC for short, was born.

Now, I just had to do it. I docked and wandered into the factory, sucking in the smell of fresh oil and listening to the sound of the machines that would soon be producing shields for me. There were some fifty Teladi zipping about, making sure everything was running smoothly, and I couldn't help it but grin. It was a beautiful sight indeed. Oh well, time to do something remotely sensible.

As the factory started rolling out shields I decided to head south. I needed to work on my pirate rep a bit, so next stop was Hatikvah's Faith. Just as I was about to jump I spotted an Octopus Sentinel for sale. It was cheap-ish and would probably make me about ten grand at the shipyard, so I decided to buy it. A quick patch job later and it was on its way to a new life as rivets in a Teladi ship while I jumped south.

That thing is rather tiny compared to the Eris ...

Hatikvah's Faith. The southeast end of Pirate Alley. And someone offering a covert mission. Bleh. I hated them, because the targets were usually a lot of cards short of a full deck. I've watched them get them selves killed in every way imaginable, from hitting roids, stations, gates and other ships to trying to fly through a Xenon sector in a slow-as-snails bloody freighter! I've even had a couple who flew into the atmosphere of a nearby planet, burning them selves into a crisp because they were obviously convinced that a ship shaped like a brick with no wings could somehow survive reentry if they just wanted it hard enough. Brainless idiots, the lot of them.

Still, against my better judgment, I accepted it. Yeah, I know, but it was good money. The joy lasted until I found out I was supposed to follow a Disco Raider. I still headed over just in case the dingbat had forgot to tune the engines, but it was a no go. It was way faster than both the Morrigan and the Eris, and since I couldn't keep up I had to abort. Frak. Guess I had to get a Kestrel sooner or later. At least they wouldn't be able to outrun me then.

I did get a consolation prize, though, as Tracie picked up a transmission from the local Pirate Guild Outpost.
"They want cartography chips, captain," she said. "Almost six hundred thousand in reward, but you'll have to make it to their supplier in Brennan's Triumph and back in a little under eight minutes." I chewed on it for a moment. Hm, didn't I pick up a chart over Brennan's Triumph? I did, which meant I could use the autopilot to decided the shortest possible route.
"Tell him we'll do it," I said as I rose to my feet and headed for the Morrigan. It would be pretty damn close, but with a little docking computer magic I knew I could make it.
"Will do, captain," Tracie shouted as I ran for the access hatch.

No time for pre-flight checks, so I just waited til everything was online, released the docking clamps and hit the throttle. As soon as I was far enough from the Eris I plotted a course for the soyery where they had told us the chips were and fired the jump drive.

Brennan's Triumph, and the soyery seemed so far away I wish I could get out and push. Technically I could, but the suit thrusters wouldn't do much good as long as I had four matter/antimatter thrusters in the back of this boat. Come on, come on, come ON!

I had about four and a half minute left when I was finally within docking computer range. I hit the button, the computer worked its magic and the next thing I knew was the sound of the docking clamps latching on to the Morrigan's hull. The chips were shuffled aboard in a hurry, and within half a minute I was on my way back to Danna's Chance. Oooh, this was going to be a close one …

I had a little over three minutes left on the clock when I came through the gate in Danna's Chance, and the pirate base was just over thirty clicks away. A quick estimate told me I could make it in about two and a half minutes, which meant the docking computer would have to save me again. So I watched the distance with one eye, the clock with the other and had my hand on the docking computer control, ready to hit it as soon as I got within five clicks.

The clock was ticking awfully fast, and once again I wished I could get out and push. Come on … Come on … There, five clicks! I hit the docking computer and the station's tractor beams grabbed the ship and hauled it into the docking clamps. As they latched on I checked the timer. Twenty three seconds left, but I had made it in time! Yeah, baby! Five hundred and eighty three thousand credits!!! Too bad the cockpit of the Morrigan didn't have enough space to jump around, because I was that happy. Wohoo! It made my pirate rep climb a bit too. Nice bonus.

The lower hull of the Eris was just a few meters away when I got a message from the shipyard in Ceo's Sprite, telling me the Octopus had made it in one piece. I told them to scrap it and it made me a rather nice ten thousand credits in profitsss. Damn, I think I've been spending too much time with the Teladi. Oh well.

"Nice work, captain," Tracie said as I entered the bridge.
"Thanks," I said. "A little closer than I liked, but as long as I made it in time I guess I can't complain."
"Well, you've got … five hundred and eighty three thousand eight hundred and thirteen reasons not to complain, so I think you did pretty good." I just smiled at her.
"How's the station doing?" I asked. She typed in a few commands and brought up a summary of the station's status.
"Sittin' there with twenty four shields in stock … No, they just disappeared. That's about … one hundred and twenty four-odd thousand."
"Not bad. And much needed income at that."
"Mhm. Where to now, captain?"
"Let's head north and see what Brennan's Triumph has to offer," I said. "The last visit was a little too short for sightseeing." She snickered, and we turned the nose of the Eris toward the north gate.

The answer was a roid scan. For an Argon. Yuck. The money was good, though, and that was all I really cared about. How to get as much money out of these bastards as possible, before I laid waste to their most precious pearl. Yeah, I was planning on going after Argon Prime. More specifically Argon One, Ban Danna's supercarrier. Home of both Fleet Command and ASS, the Argon Secret Service. And yes, they do live up to their acronym. I was painfully aware of the fact that the patrols stationed there would be unwitting pawns, carrying out orders from their commanders, but if this Puppet Master turned the fleet against me I would have no choice but to cut them down.

"Hey, captain. You all right?" Tracie and the marines all looked at me, worried. I shook my head.
"No," I said.
"What …?" I sighed.
"I don't want to talk about it. At least not now." They looked at me, then at each other. No one said anything for a long time, and the only sound that could be heard was the humming of the computers and the deep, rumbling sound of the reactor and the engines. If someone had dropped a pin down in engineering I'm pretty sure we would have heard it.

We flew the rest of the trip in silence, and then delivered the data to that Argon woman. We got a rather healthy bonus too, but I wasn't in the mood to celebrate. Instead I felt the sudden urge to shoot something, and this Yaki had just the right medicine for me. A convoy raid in President's End? That could be interesting, in more ways than one. Too bad these bastards never told you what race you would be hitting. Ah, what the hell. I could always repair any rep loss I took.

The marks turned out to be three Teladi freighters. Crap. I could abort, but that would cost me valuable Yaki rep. Rep I planned on using to get a very special ship, namely a Chokaro TM-class military transport. It could carry three fighters, it was fast and pretty well shielded and it had a massive cargo bay for a ship its size. In other words it would be a nice fighter bus and jump drive transport. Oh-key … Better grab those EVA suits while you can, lizards.

They were about to pass through the gate as I arrived, so I targeted the closest one, a Mercury, lined up and fired a single CIG volley. All six bolts connected to the side of the ship, and the subspace shock wave pushed it back a good twenty meters before the pilot got it under control again. The Teladi contacted me and begged me to stop shooting. She was even willing to give up her freight, but I was here to keep them from reaching their destination. A second CIG volley hit the rear end and sent it spinning. That was apparently the famous drop, as the crew jumped in their EVA suits and got the hell out. Hey, I had a free freighter now.

The other two bailed as well, and suddenly I had three freighters on my hands. The locals got a little cranky over my little stunt and threatened to turn the Eris into space dust. While I didn't really see that happen unless the Buster interceptor he was flying was packing mass drivers, I apologized and told him we'd had a computer malfunction and that our weapons had fired accidentally. Yeah. Six times. That was about as likely as running into a pacifistic Split, but incredibly enough he bought it. Gullible idiot.

The rep loss was surprisingly low, and I had just picked up my reward when I spotted this little joker. Yeah, a Kha'ak Cluster. Damn bugs. The only thing I hated almost as much as the Xenon, after they had attacked and decimated the very sector we were in. For a moment there I wished I had a Hornet or some other high yield missile, but I would have to make do with my guns.

"Here we go," I said to the marines manning the turrets. "Weapons free, fire at will."
The ship was once again silent, but this time it was due to battle readiness. We all knew what to do, so we wasted no unnecessary words.
As the Cluster drifted into range I said hello with my CIGs, and it responded by splitting apart and swarming us. I went for the Fighter that made up the core and left the Scouts that buzzed around us like gnats to the turrets. The bastard was fast, but I managed to keep up thanks to creative use of the throttle and maneuvering thrusters. The Eris had a big ass, but I knew how to handle her. Meanwhile the high pitched sound of pulsed beam emitters echoed through the hull, accompanied by the deep, thunderous 'thoom' of CIGs every time that bastard found itself in my cross hairs. The first volley missed, but the second one connected and blew away almost half its shields. Come on, you bastard. Look at the sweet spot.

The bug flying the thing proved to be quite good, staying close to the Eris and using its greater maneuverability to avoid my main guns. Unfortunately for it I had more tricks up my sleeve, and Aron and Jo soon caught it in a deadly crossfire between the top and right turret. Four PBEs whittled away its shield in no time, and then there was just a matter of seconds before they would eat through the hull and … Oops. Yeah, hit something that didn't like energy bolts. Apparently they did hit something, and the next thing I knew it was just static in our shields. We took a pretty good beating our selves, with the shields dipping down to some forty five percent, but the turrets weeded out those gnats so fast they never really threatened us.

When things calmed down a bit I spotted a Mercury Tanker for sale. It was cheap-ish too, and I imagined I would make about thirty thousand off of it when I patched it up and sold it. Then I claimed the rest of the freighters, gathered the whole bunch and sent them to the shipyard in Ceo's Sprite as it was the closest non-Argon shipyard I knew of. There was one in Cloudbase South East, but I would rather go one-on-one with an angry Paranid than sell something to the Argon.

I also saw this, which was more on the ridiculously expensive side. What 'n the blue hell did he do, coat the entire hull in nividium?

After gathering my herd of cats … eh, freighters and sending them on their way I decided to head for Farnham's Legend. It was the other end of pirate alley, and I knew the neighboring sector, Bala Gi's Joy, had some solar power plants where I could dock and refuel. I really needed to get a power core going, but I was still some twenty seven million short if my math was correct. Now, if I hooked it up to the shield factory I could eliminate some of the cost of keeping it running, and increase my earnings. Then maybe some food factories, a silicon mine and an ore mine somewhere, and I could eliminate the need for external resources and grab everything it earned for myself. It would be a huge investment, but it would be worth it.

Next, Farnham's Legend and … Hey, what's that?

----------

Asset list

Ships:
M6 Drake - "Eris"
M3 Cougar Vanguard - "Morrigan"
TL Elephant - White Stripes
M2 Asgard O'Neill - "SGC-028 'Lux Aeterna'"
TS Caiman - "Mule 1"
TS Caiman - "Mule 2"
TS Caiman - Blue Profit CAG 1

Stations owned:
NTC 1MJ shield factory, Blue Profit

9163484 credits
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D

DiDs:
Eye of the storm Completed
Eye of the storm - book 2 Inactive
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Thu, 9. Aug 12, 08:55

Finally got the new rig up and running, so now I just have to gut the old one, transfer all the data and cross my fingers hoping the savegames will be all right. Yay :D

Sooo ... Since I haven't slept all night, the sun is rising and I still don't feel particularly tired, I thought I'd do something (not too)useful, like posting an update :)

----------

Chapter 11 – High on the flames

Personal log 768-05-02 - 23:49

Well, whaddaya know. Farnham's Legend had a pirate shipyard too. The first thing I did was to halt my freighters and have them come here instead. I might lose a few thousand credits on it, but it was better than letting a bunch of unshielded freighters cross Nopileos' Memorial and risk having them running into angry Xenon. As a little bonus there were leftovers littered all over the place, probably after some military patrol had flown through or something. I spotted a Beluga and a couple of Remote Guided Warheads, all of them high yield missiles. Highly valuable too, and a quick estimate told me I was looking at around two hundred and fifty grand in missiles. Not bad.

On top of that the freighters made a pretty penny too, pushing me past the ten million mark. I even found enough e-cells floating around to get back to more civilized parts of the Commonwealth. What was this, a late birthday present? Nah. I knew what it was. Money. And I needed a lot of it. Some thirty seven million just to establish an XL power core, including a silicon mine if I could find a suitable roid, then I figured at least ten million extra if I actually wanted to produce anything other than e-cells. Back to the grinding, then.

I stopped by the local Pirate Guild Outpost and sold whatever I could there, then we prepared to jump to Company Pride to get rid of the rest. However, before we could do that we got a bug problem dumped in our laps. Yeah, it was the bloody Kha'ak again. A Fighter and a dozen Scouts roaming around. I ordered battle stations and mowed them down, and once again they were unable to get through the shields of the Eris before they had been cut down like wheat before the scythe. Sometimes I do love my life. Next stop, Company Pride.

We had just dumped the missiles and were about to head north when we got this slightly stressed Teladi on the horn.
"Ten bucks says she's a prospector," Tracie whispered to me, holding down the mute button on the communication console. I looked at the lizard.
"I won't bet against you," I whispered back. "Let's see what she has to say."
Yep, she was a prospector. And yes, she wanted us to scan some roids since she didn't have the time to do it herself. Wonder what's with all these overworked prospectors? Oh well, I figured I was looking at about two hundred grand so I accepted.

Smooth sailing, baby, and she gave us a nice bonus too.
"Incoming transmission, captain. Uhm … A courier mission. Pays pretty well too." That might be a tiny understatement. Over half a million to pick up some food for a lizard. I didn't know military outposts had cooks capable of making something that didn't look like rat puke, but I guess you learn something new every day. The time limit was a little tight, probably to keep the 'Nid they were supposedly celebrating from going off his rocker and tear the place to bits, but I figured I could make it. This time around I didn't take any chances, so I took the Eris and made sure we had plenty of cargo space available.

I'll admit that the Military Outpost in Ceo's Sprite had never looked farther away than it did when we came through the gate, and the clock was ticking way too fast for my liking. This one might be a little too close for comfort. Luckily I had the docking computer, and that could easily shave a couple of minutes off the approach here since I didn't have to fly all the way around and line up with the docking bay. That might save this one, as the one aboard the Morrigan had done when I was hauling those chips from Hatikvah's Faith to Thuruk's Beard. Or so I hoped.

There. Fifty six crates of food on board, now let's get the hell out of here.
"Jump device charging." Tracie started the countdown. "Jumping in ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one … Go!" The wormhole opened and a few seconds later we were back in Company Pride, heading for the trading station. I imagine I looked like I was trying to stare a hole in the holographic screen in front of me, with one hand on the stick and the other on the docking computer controls. One minute left. Fifty seconds. Forty seconds. Thirty seconds, twenty …

I had seventeen seconds left when we were finally in range of the stations tractor beams. I hit the docking computer, and the ship was grabbed and guided safely into the docking clamps. Phew. That was really close. They seemed to be pleased, though, as that mission made me a Venture Capitalist, the second highest Teladi rank. Nice rep boost.

We were about to leave when a Teladi came running after us.
"You are a pilot, yesss?" she said as she tried to catch her breath.
"As far as I know, yeah."
"Are you interesssted in a misssion?"
"Maybe. What do you got?"
"I require the ssservicesss of a ssstation builder. Are you interesssted?" Well, I did have the White Stripes docked at the shipyard a sector north of here.
"What do you need?"
"A Mosssquito factory, in Ceo'sss Sssprite. I will pay you well." She handed me her data pad so I could take a look at the details. Hm, one point one million for a factory worth less than half that? Yeah, I figured we could do that.
"Consider it done," I said. She gave me that big grin with way too many teeth in it that the Teladi used to give you when they smelled money and scooted off to Gunne knew where. I looked at my crew.
"Looks like we're going to take the brick for a trip again," I said with a skewed smile. Jo rolled her eyes, Marissa snorted and gave me that big grin of hers and Aron, Val and Mikal just gave me the poker face. Yeah, we definitely needed a proper crew for that thing. However, they didn't exactly grow on trees so for now we had to make do with what we had.

The mission itself was like finding argnu dung on a cattle ranch. In other words, not that hard. Buy the station, fly the fifteen clicks to the beacon, drop it and receive half a million credits. Easy as pie. The trip 'home' was more exciting, as we got back just in time to watch a few pirates attack the shipyard. My pirate rep was good enough to keep them off my back, which was good, because the White Stripes had one fifth of its maximum shielding and no guns. We would be sitting ducks if they decided to attack, but lucky for us they didn't. Phew.

Heading down south again we picked up a 'snatch and patch'-mission from an Argon. The pay was rather ******, but I needed the rep so I accepted anyway. I was planning on becoming the poster girl for good behavior, then I would find the bastard who was behind this mess and burn his house down. Now, let's see. A Vulture Super Freighter in Rhonkar's Fire? Bah. Teladi ships were slow as snails even at hundred percent hull, and this was probably pretty banged up, which meant a lot of welding time for me and my crew. Time to get going, then.

Yep, it was pretty banged up. Only 52 percent hull integrity left, but we got it back in pretty good shape. Then it was just a matter of transferring a jump drive, a navcom and some e-cells and send it home. Pretty standard operation, in other words.

As we followed the Vulture into Company Pride to pick up my jump drive and navcom I got another food courier mission. Seemed like the legendary Triskele champion was celebrating quite hard, since I had already done one trip for him. Looked like he had trashed the place too, as he had moved from the Trading Station to the Gauss Cannon Ammunition Forge. Oh well, since they were willing to fork out six hundred and sixty grand plus change I didn't complain. On the contrary, I accepted. And made it in time. Thanks, Imanckulot. Your hard partying have made me over one point one million in total.

Next thing on the list was something I'd been thinking about for a while, namely to set up a dream farm in Scale Plate Green. It wouldn't make that much money, but a little was better than none at all. Besides, it would keep the Teladi happy and my traders busy. Oh well, time for a refuel then.

After picking up some e-cells from the local solar power plant we slowboated north to the shipyard. I let Tracie fly and played with my freighters in Scale Plate Green in the meantime, making some nice deals on Teladi sunrise flowers. When you can buy them for 7 credits a crate and sell them for 32 it's really a no-brainer.

"I found a mission, captain. A Teladi wants us to build a Hammer torpedo factory in Blue Profit. Kind of rotten pay, though. Just a hair under 240 grand." Yeah, it was kind of ******. However, it would mean there was one more factory to feed, and once I had gotten a bit more money I was planning on connecting a food loop to my shield factory and sell the surplus. Profitsss ...
"Well, we're taking the White Stripes out for a trip anyway so we might as well get paid. Tell her we'll take it, then contact the shipyard and order the factory plus a large dream farm."
"Hammer torpedo factory and large dream farm, aye." She paused for a moment and looked at me. "You going into the drug business, captain?"
"Nah. Not yet, anyway. I was thinking about feeding the bliss place in Scale Plate Green. It won't be much of an income, but it'll help." The thought of setting up a bliss place of my own had crossed my mind, though. Space weed was completely legal in Teladi space, and it was highly valuable. Cynical? Maybe. Immoral? Probably, but this was war and I intended to win by any means necessary. Even if it meant I had to turn into a drug dealer.

(sigh)

Okey, let's get moving and deliver this baby.

Yeah, if one could get through the bloody traffic jam at the north gate. I thought about jumping, but I wanted to save e-cells for the jump to Scale Plate Green. In the meantime I sent the Eris south on autopilot to pick up some e-cells for the trip home. I suppose I could have diverted one of my freighters, but bringing in the Eris and using its transporter device was easier than screwing around with crates and whatnot.

At last the traffic cleared, and we were able to move into Blue Profit and drop the station, then it was off to Scale Plate Green to drop the dream farm. It went by without a hitch, and soon enough it was ready to make me some money. I decided to take Mule 2 and make it a commercial agent, so I didn't have to worry about keeping it stocked all the time. It would take a few credits off the income once the pilot's probation period was over, but I figured I could live with that.

While Mule 2 finished its final run I transported aboard the Eris with my crew and sent the White Stripes home on autopilot. I didn't like it, as that thing has a habit of screwing things up, but I planned on heading east to Omicron Lyrae and it would be too much of a hassle to fly it home and then jump back here. I even found an escort mission for some Argon freighters heading in the right direction, so I figured I might as well get paid for flying there.

Yeaaah … That didn't turn out quite as I had planned. The local sector patrol sent out an emergency broadcast as their scouts had discovered a buildup of Xenon forces in X347. Not only did they pay three times as much as the Argons, but I got to smash chips as well. My hatred for the chips took over, so I told the Argons to go frak them selves and headed over to hunt Xenon instead.

"Okey, people. Battle stations! Tracie, load the tubes. Jo, Marissa, Aron – turrets. Weapons hot in three, two, one … mark." Once again it felt like the ship came alive with the anticipation of battle. The humming of the reactors, the deep, rumbling sound of the engines, the high pitched whine of capacitors charging … All of the sudden it sounded much more prominent. It was like she was flexing her muscles and preparing for battle along with her 'riders'. It made me smile a little.

The buildup turned out to consist of a couple of Ms and a handful of Ns. Time to put those Wildfire missiles to good use.
"Tracie, gimme a solution on the closest bogey. Jo, Marissa, Aron, keep your eyes peeled for any stray fighters."
"N at one o'clock, straight ahead. Distance, fifteen kilometers."
"I got him. How are we doing with those Wildfires?"
"Wildfires loaded and ready to fire, captain."
I watched the marker pointing at the N. It looked like it was heading to our left, which would leave it wide open to our missiles. I had a solid lock, so I queued up one Wildfire and let it fly. It streaked toward the barely visible dot up ahead, and connected just as it was about to attack a freighter.
"That was a clean hit. One down," Tracie reported.
Two more died from Wildfire poisoning, but the last one was a tricky bastard and shot down my missiles. Stupid chip tried a frontal attack, but was met with a hailstorm of PBE fire from our turrets and died due to some rather big holes in its reactor core. That, as they say, was all she wrote, as the local Phoenix destroyer dealt with the last of the Xenon. I got my reward, and could concentrate on getting my dream farm up and running.

What the hell? I found a suitable pilot to act as Commercial Agent for the dream farm, but she's just sitting on her ass and refuse to board the freighter. I tried every option, twice, and even flew over to PTNI Headquarters to try and sort it out, but she just told me the ship was 'unsuited' according to regulations and refused to move. Ah, crap. Guess I had to keep operating it via remote control until I could sort it out.

It wasn't a total waste though, as we picked up a taxi mission for a 'Nid. He wanted to go to the pirate base in the unknown sector east of PTNI Headquarters, a sector that was infamous for being the base of operations for some of the most notorious pirates in the eastern sectors. The angel teams had raided it several times, but they kept coming back so in the end we left them alone and just tried to limit their raids into Argon space. Small digression there.
Yeah, our 'Nid friend. He wanted to go to that pirate base, and he was willing to fork out quite a bit for us to take him there. Some twenty four grand per minute of flight time wasn't bad, not bad at all.

Not only did we make it in time, we also picked up a star chart over Nyanna's Hideout and was offered another taxi mission. This one was for a Boron pirate and didn't pay quite as well to put it mildly, but it was for a pirate and I needed to keep myself in the good graces of the pirates if I wanted access to those jump drives of theirs. If I could find another source nothing would be better, but until that happened I didn't have much choice. So I told it we would carry it over.

The Boron shuffled aboard in its enviro-suit and parked in the common area. I say 'parked' because they're some two and a half meters long, about one and three quarters of a meter in height and supported by six metal tentacles that makes it look like some sort of overgrown insect. So, pretty big in other words. The Boron inside is just one and a half meter long, and the rest is made up of life support, a translation device and a power supply to run the monstrosity. I always felt like the Boron were twice screwed, being an aquatic species in a space faring community populated mainly by air breathers. Ah well, as long as it paid me.

"Hey, what the hell!?"
We were making our way toward the pirate base and had just met a pirate patrol when those jokers suddenly got funny ideas and started shooting. I dodged the first volley by using the maneuvering thrusters to push us out of the line of fire, but I knew the Eris was too big and heavy to avoid it for long. Further more, we were on a bloody taxi mission and didn't have any hostile intentions, a fact that was seriously starting to piss me off.
"Incoming transmission, captain." I sighed.
"On screen." A few moments of static, then a familiar face appeared.
"'Ellau, kitt'n. Thought we'd drop by and say hi. Y'know, maybe paying you back for last time." Ah, crap. It was that bloody pirate from Mines of Fortune.
"Too bad you didn't bring a faster ship, then." I checked the sensors, and only the Harrier was fast enough to keep up with the Eris. He started yelling something, obviously at someone else, and cut the link. Friggin' moron. More shots hit the shields of the Eris, and I was rapidly running out of patience.
"Aron, would you please teach the pilot of that Harrier some manners?"
"With pleasure, captain." A second later the high pitched, rapid 'pew pew' sound of twin PBEs echoed through the hull, and I watched on the sensors as the Harrier's shields dropped like a stone. A few seconds later he was down to twenty two percent hull and probably had his hands full keeping his ship from falling apart, which meant he was in no shape to bother us anymore. We could easily outrun the rest of them, but if this kept up these assholes would feel my wrath soon enough. So much for pirate rep.

I dropped off the Boron and decided to jump to Scale Plate Green to avoid any trouble. Those jump drives were simply too valuable to risk losing pirate rep by fighting these dingbats, but I wouldn't forget it and if this lowlife returned later I would be more than happy to introduce him to my CIGs. Motherfrakkin' idiot.

After replenishing my jump fuel in Scale Plate Green I decided to head east. I wanted to see what all the fuss in Omicron Lyrae was about, and maybe make some connections in Terran space. Besides, rumor had it they had some very nifty toys there, and they might be what I needed in my war against the Argon. So I I thought I might pay this … Darel Ohneaim a visit and hear him out.

A quick jump to the east gate in Nyanna's Hideout and an equally quick u-turn later, and we were looking at the pea soup that is Omicron Lyrae. Green fog so thick you would need a map just to find your own ass. Luckily this joker Ohneaim had put up a beacon announcing his presence, cause if I'd had to look for him in this hell hole I would have shot someone sooner or later. Sooner rather than later, I imagine. Oooh-key. Time to get this show on the road.

DiDs:
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Mon, 13. Aug 12, 05:50

It seems my savegames survived the transfer to my new rig, which means you'll have to endure my writing for the forseeable future :fg:

Speaking of wich, here's another update. Enjoy :D

PS: I'm dead tired as I write this, so if you see any typos or grammatical eyesores then by all means, let me know.

Edit: Asset list added.

----------

Chapter 12 - Runnin' 'round

Personal log 768-05-03 – 03:25

So we flew into communications range, and I asked Tracie to open up a channel and hail this Ohneaim.
"Channel open, captain." A dark skinned, bald Argon came on screen.
"Pilot, we have some Terran diplomats in need of escorting back to the sector
Heretic's End. We'd like to show them how we handle things around here. This will
look good on your record. I'm loading the mission briefing into your mission menu now.
If you're interested follow the instructions."
"Sure I am." I gave him the cutest, most eager smile I could muster while images of Argon One in flames drifted through my mind.
"Glad to hear it. I've added you to to the flight group and updated your mission briefing. Have a safe journey, pilot." Then he cut the link and my HUD pointed me to an Eclipse heavy fighter and a couple of Buster interceptors some fifteen clicks out. Guess I had to follow the flying turd and his flies, then. And in case you haven't noticed; no, I don't harbor any love for the Eclipse.

"Alright, boys, don't be slack." A pale, chubby Argon appeared on the communications screen. His IFF said his name was Persi Gallet and according to the mission data he held the rank of lieutenant, but he looked like he'd been commanding a desk for the last twenty years. "We gotta be on our best," he rambled on. "That goes for everyone! The Terran diplomat's transport will be here in a few minutes. Xenon activity has been on the increase, especially near the Terran border. The mission should be uneventful, unless the Xenon decide to crash the party. Check your systems and form up."

"'Boys', lieutenant Gallet?" I couldn't resist.
"Just a figure of speech, girl. A corvette may be a bit overkill for this mission, but tell your captain to be ready anyway." Oh, you did not …
"I am the captain," I hissed, and I'm pretty sure my voice gave his ears a frostbite.
"Uhm …" His cheeks turned beet red and his lips moved, but no words came out. Then he was saved by the bell, as the transport arrived. "Terran transport is inbound. Loading mission guidance information to your head-up display."
"This is Terran transport T9-alpha en route to sector Heretic's End. I understand you're our escort."
"Yes, ma'am. We'll be looking after you guys on your trip home."
"I hope you're all better than our last escort group. I was under the impression that the Argon military are a bunch of jokers. Iovis out." Quite a feisty one. The good lieutenant got his pants in a twist, though.
"Arrogant little … Let's move out!"

The Scabbard headed for the north gate and I took up standard 'loose deuce' escort position above and behind it, while lieutenant Jerkules and his merry band of greenhorns obviously had their hands full trying not to ram each other. Stars, where did they dig up these dimwits? Fortunately we reached the gate without incident, friendly or otherwise, which was nothing short of a small miracle. Alright, onward to Circle of Labor.

"Latest reports indicate there are no Xenon on our flight path." Why, thank you, lieutenant Obvious. My sensors showed a clear sky too.
"No AGI detected in the vicinity. We'll let you know if we see any."
"With respect ma'am. Your scanners have a slightly larger range while ours offer clearer information. If the Xenon jump in you won't be able to tell if it's a ship or a rock any faster than we can." Arrgh.
"With all due respect, sir," I said, breaking into the channel, "bickering amongst our selves will only draw attention away from our task and leave the formation open to attack. Not to mention that all the radio chatter will act like a beacon for bogeys."
"With all due respect, ma'am, this is a military operation and I won't let some greenhorn merc teach me how to do my job. Now keep your mouth shut and keep an …" That was about as far as he got before lieutenant Iovis interrupted us.
"Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen! We got incoming fighters" Oh, great. Friggin' great! I rolled my eyes and cut the link, wondering how long his 200 megajoules of shielding would hold up against my six CIGs.
"Setting course to engage the enemy." Yeah, a couple of pirates. They might get through the shields of the Scabbard if we left them alone for five minutes, which I didn't intend to do. I aimed for the Buster, lined up and cut engines, letting him come to me. A few adjustments with the maneuvering thrusters and I had an almost perfect solution. I ordered weapons hot and waited.

Easy does it … There. He was within range, and I let rip a single CIG volley. The pirate on the other hand, wasn't willing to die that easily, so he twisted his fighter around and avoided it with the narrowest margin possible. Then he made a beeline for the Scabbard, passing just a couple of hundred meters off my left bow. I fired again, and this time the distance was too short for him to avoid my shots. All six bolts connected to the side of his hull, sending him flailing sideways for some fifty meters before he regained control of his fighter. I fired the engines and hit the booster, closing the distance in a few heartbeats. The top and left turret opened up and ate into his now exposed hull, and he died in a few seconds. In the meantime the Busters proved that they weren't completely useless, as one of them finished the remaining Harrier. Not bad, actually.

With the pirates out of the way we trundled on to Heretic's End and the orbital defense station. We had just gotten a few clicks away from the gate when the alarm went off. Hostiles.
"Check your scanners, we have incoming fighters." So, captain … Pardon, lieutenant Dimwit spotted them first for once.
"Confirmed," Iovis chimed in. "It looks like a small attack group. They're heading this way." Four Ns showed up on my gravidar. Not nearly enough to pose any kind of threat, so I stayed close to the Scabbard and told my marines they could fire at will.
"But watch it," I said with only a hint of sarcasm. "We don't want lieutenant Gallet to risk loosing a percent or two of that precious shield of his." Someone snickered behind me. I just hoped they did miss and shot him up so bad he had to get into his suit and push that flying turd home.

"That's the last of them," lieutenant Iovis said as the last N went down. "Damn AGI they always send a shiver down my spine. Resetting course for Heretic's End." You're already in Heretic's End ...

(sigh)

I was starting to wonder if this was a bad idea, but thought of shooting miniature singularities at other ships convinced me to go on. Luckily we had the orbital defense station in sight, otherwise I think I would have gone nuts.

"Thanks you for the escort. You guys were not that bad. Come to think of it we could use some of you. AGI, that's xenon to you I guess, have been attacking this sector for the last month. The UFC and ATF are holding up fine, but anyone with experience fighting the Xenon would be of some use to us. Lieutenant Gallet, do you have anyone in mind?" Probably not.
"All of these pilots have had experience fighting the Xenon. I can't imagine any of them wanting the job though. No offense, but side switching is not part of Argon character." But backstabbing and cooperating with criminals is? "I think we're done here. G'day, ma'am. Good work today, pilots. Dismissed." I decided to stick around a bit longer, while the flying turd and his friends headed back to Argon space. As he had so diplomatically pointed out I was a merc, and didn't have to play by his rules.

So I gave lieutenant Dimwit the bird and asked Tracie to see if she could get that Terran girl on the horn.
"What's biting you?" she asked.
"Well, as opposed to lieutenant Jerkules over there I'm definitely interested in working for the Terrans. What have you got?" She smiled at me.
"Hold on a second … Yeah. We might be able to squeeze you into a patrol today. I don't have the details in front of me, but I'll tell the boss you're interested. He'll get in touch with you shortly. Iovis out." Then she cut the link and I was left to sit there twiddling my thumbs.

I had other things to do, so I jumped to Omicron Lyrae to play with my freighters while I waited. It didn't take long for them to get back to me though, and a few minutes later I had a dark skinned Terran in shiny uniform on the horn.
"Hello, pilot. This is lieutenant Plinter, UFC. You've been assigned to our patrol today. Come join us when you're ready." Then he cut the link. Okey, short and sweet in other words. And … 'Samuel Plinter' …? S. Plinter? Splinter? Weird frakkers. Anyway, he was kind enough to update the mission data so the guidance system now pointed me toward … Uranus. Now, there's a sector that just begs for someone to crack lame jokes about it. Oh-key, let's not go there.

Still, this sounded so wrong in so many ways.

We jumped to Heretic's End and did a quick u-turn through the gate leading into Asteroid Belt. The first thing that hit me was the stupendously large Terran stations, and I caught myself wondering if they were this big to compensate for shortcomings in other … areas. The second thing that hit me was how absurdly large these sectors were, and the third was these funny things called Trans-Orbital Accelerators. It looked like some sort of overgrown rail cannon, and since it gave off a gravimetric pulse each time a ship left or entered the sector I figured they used gravimetric fields to hurl ships across the solar system.
Kind of impressive to be honest. It also made me wonder how many ships they had lost while they were working on the aim. Hitting a target roughly the size of a jump gate across interplanetary distances was no small feat, and I imagined you would be pretty screwed if it was off by as much as a nanometer. Ah well, we would probably die pretty quick if it screwed up.

I also saw a Terran frigate in action, something called a 'Sendai', variant A. I wondered how many variants there were, and what the difference was between them. This one looked pretty impressive, though, hammering away at a Split Python. They were even nice enough to leave some presents behind.

Passing through Jupiter we spotted this taxi mission, and it bugged me to no end that I didn't have time to take it. Damn, what a juicy reward. Come to think of it, I'm not even sure the Eris would have been fast enough to make it, not to mention that I didn't know where the hell Mars was, and if I entered without permission the Terran military would probably blow us to atoms. Yeah, they stacked enough hardware in their sectors to make a Split green with envy. A lot of that hardware seemed to be for sale at the local shipyard too. Nice.

So, here we were. Uranus. Funny, I've never seen a blue … Errh, yeah. About those lame jokes … Anyway, we found lieutenant Plinter sitting in a Scimitar, some sort of heavy fighter. Nice stats and almost as fast as the Morrigan, but without a rear turret … Naah. With 125 MJ of shielding it could survive most Commonwealth missiles, but I still wouldn't fly it. Well, let's see what this joker has to say for himself.

"Tracie, open a channel to the good lieutenant."
"Channel open, captain."
"Eris to Terran Scimitar. Lieutenant Plinter, I assume?"
"Yes, do you have something to report?"
"I'm here for patrol duty. You called me, remember?"
"Ah, yes. Our new recruit." Heh … 'Recruit' …? My professional paranoia was tingling again. "Good to meet you. My name is lieutenant Plinter, I'm your flight leader. The USC is very interested in you and what
you are capable of. Most of our boys have never fought against anything before but from what I hear skirmishes are commonplace in the Commonwealth. Well, let's move out, shall we?"
"Roger that. Eris out."
"Recruit?" Jo asked as I closed the link. "I thought the Terrans were kind of xenophobic …?"
"They are, at least as far as I know."
"So why did they suddenly let us in and welcome us with open arms?"
"Probably to use us as pawns," I said. "They need eyes and ears in the Commonwealth, and most of the races don't trust the Terrans. Enter us, a ship that can move relatively freely in the Commonwealth without raising suspicion. At least that's what I would do."

It made sense. Draw in an outsider under the guise of fighting a common enemy and send them in to snoop around where you can't go yourself.
"I knew it, they're a bunch of screwballs," Aron shot in. "They even have a sector named Uranus! That's just wrong. Seems to fit them, though, as they look like a bunch of pompous assholes." I was waiting for that one. Kinda surprised that he managed to keep his mouth shut for as long as he did, actually.
"Well, I'm mainly here for their toys," I said. "I don't really give a rat's ass what they call their sectors, although I think this one has been the butt end of way too many jokes." Aaah, what the hell. I couldn't resist. It took a second for him to catch on, then he started laughing so hard he almost fell out of the turret control chair.

"Pipe down," I said. "We got an incoming transmission."
It was one of the pilots, rambling on about an 'unusual echo' on his gravidar coming in from the outer solar system, where ever the hell that was. I checked my grav, but didn't see squat. Lieutenant Plinter didn't see anything either, and went on about 'maicromitioraits' being sucked into the trans-orbital accelerator and shot across the sector. Then the other pilot picked them up too, and finally they showed up on Plinter's screen. I still couldn't see shit, but that didn't mean there wasn't something out there.

Then an unknown lady broke in and told us there was a terraformer attack in Neptune. A moment later Plinter told us to form up and follow him, but since he was such a damn slowpoke I decided to show him the engine nozzles of the Eris instead. I slammed the throttle to the wall, and seconds later it felt like a giant hand was gently pushing us against the back of our seats as our four Jonferco S54-C M/AM-engines pushed us toward the TOA to Neptune. So long, Splinter.

Neptune, and a handful of Ns. They kept their respectful distance, which meant little fun for me as I couldn't catch them and the few missiles I had were quickly gone. Then the Terrans get the bright idea that the Xenon had to be using some sort of jump beacon to get into the sector, and guess who's job it is to find it, scan it and then destroy it. Yep, mine. So I'm basically ordered to take out the garbage now. That's just swell. I caught myself wondering if this was such a great idea. Again.

It wasn't too hard to find, and one scanned and dead jump beacon later we were ordered to fly to the Oort Cloud. Apparently the handful of Ns was a decoy to keep us busy, while these message drones hacked a research facility in Mars and ran off with some important data. So Miss Serious told us to head to this Oort Cloud to have a look around and see if we could find anything interesting. I stopped to pick up some leftovers first, just in case. A couple of Wildfires were floating around, and since I didn't have missiles of my own I had to work with what I could scavenge. To the Oort Cloud then.

Passing through Pluto, another big ass sector, we entered the accelerator into this Oort Cloud. The sector on the other side didn't look the least bit cloudy, and if it was me I'd rather name it the Oort Rock Quarry or something. Maybe there were some other reasons it was named 'Cloud'? Ah, frak if I knew. Now, since the pilots had been talking about 'mitioraits' my gut feeling told me these drones would be fast, so I left the Eris in Tracie's hands and jumped into the Morrigan. It might not be able to keep up, but it might just be fast enough for me to find out where these drones were heading. In the meantime I could admire Terran engineering, in the form of a UFC Kopesh, some sort of enhanced interceptor, on patrol. It was a pretty ship indeed.

I didn't have to wait long before sector command told me they had spotted a drone coming through the TOA. I gunned the engines and plotted an intercept course, trying to get a rough estimate of where it was heading. It seemed my estimate was good enough, because I found another one of those jump beacons and a … Nova?

The Nova destroyed the beacon and jumped out before I could investigate any further. Then I was ordered back to Pluto, so I docked with the Eris, joined up with lieutenant Plinter and headed back in time to be greeted by an M and a couple of Ns. The Ns died from a severe case of Wildfire poisoning, and Plinter and the greenhorns proved their worth by killing the M. So, they weren't completely useless after all.

After cleaning up Pluto, Neptune was next on the list. A couple of Ns waited on the other side of the TOA, so I decided to spend some Rapier missiles I had picked up from Gunne knew where and watched as they blew the Ns to pieces. Then a couple of Ms and a handful of Ns showed up, so I spent my last Wildfires wasting three Ns. The remaining M pulled a suicide attack and was rewarded with a face full of PBE fire. Or sensor array or what ever those things have.

I picked up the leftovers and headed toward Uranus when I suddenly spotted this funny little guy. Wonder what a Paranid was doing so far from home? And why hadn't he been vaporized by the Terran military, xenophobic bastards that they were? Maybe he had bribed his way in here or something. Gunne knew.

The Xenon seemed to have been driven back, because Uranus only offered an M and a N. Lieutenant Plinter and his jolly band of greenhorns went after the N, so I concentrated on the M. It was nice enough to fly in a straight line for me, so I said 'thanks' by blowing holes in it with my CIGs. The bolts all connected to its nose, slammed through the entire hull and made its way out through the back of the ship before it exploded in an ever expanding cloud of plasma and debris. Well, at least it looked nice as it went to chip heaven.

We had just cleaned up Uranus when we were ordered to dock at the research station in Saturn. Apparently they wanted to analyze the sensor data I had picked up, which made me somewhat skeptical. That would mean they could fin the unknown sector and our shiny friend there.
"Val?"
"Yeah, captain?"
"You think you can back up the navigation data from that sector you know and then make it look like it never existed?"
"Sure thing, captain. Just give me … oooh, ten minutes or so."
"I guess I can fly around aimlessly for ten minutes. Go do your magic then." He sat down at the navigation console and started hammering away at the keyboard. In the meantime I took a look at our mission status and found out our xenophobic friends had decided to give us a small compensation for our trouble. Some thirty one thousand plus spare change … I had spent more than that in missiles, but I decided to take whatever I could get. We weren't picky.

Ten minutes later Val had done his magic and I headed for the research station and docked. I had Val monitor the ship's systems just in case, but aside from looking at our navigational data from the Commonwealth and making a few probing attempts they didn't do anything too obvious. Then Val told me we were clear and that the Terrans had cut the link. Then I got Plinter on the horn again.

"Pilot, you've been ordered to meet with major general Ichiyama at the ATF outpost in the asteroid belt. Seems you're getting yourself noticed, pilot"
"Thanks. I think." He just smiled at me and cut the link.
"So, are we heading to the Asteroid Belt?" Tracie asked.
"Hell no," I said. "It's frakkin' three AM in the morning, and I'm so tired I could sleep through a bloody war. Head back to the shield factory. I need a nap."

Five minutes later we were safely tucked in behind the shields of my station, so I said good night, staggered downstairs to my quarters and was asleep before my head hit the pillow.

----------

Asset list

Ships:
M6 Drake - "Eris"
TS Caiman - "Mule 1"
TS Caiman - "Scale Plate Green CAG 1"
TS Caiman - "Blue Profit CAG 1"

Stations:
NTC 1 mj shield factory, Blue Profit
NTC Dream farm L, Scale Plate Green

14 680 957 credits
Last edited by Zaitsev on Mon, 13. Aug 12, 15:07, edited 2 times in total.

DiDs:
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Mon, 13. Aug 12, 13:15

Awesome work there. I find that very few people like the Terrans if they don't start as Terrans.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Khayul

Post by Khayul » Tue, 14. Aug 12, 02:47

Great fun reading :D

Yeah, same with the paranids though, no one seems to like them, unless they start as paranids :P

Also, the Terran economy is really... crap. And they seem to stay out of the commonwealth too much, otherwise I actually quite like them and their ships.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 14. Aug 12, 05:06

Yeah, I mean, my characters don't mind them, they just sort of come off as jerks. They get all haired up over the Xenon, and the rest of us just go: Meh, call the bombers.

And yeah, the economy is garbage. Fortunately if you can stop the decline, you can restart it pretty easily. The hardest part is the tremendous size of the sectors. You've got to spam ships in and it's not an early game exercise unless you're Terran.

Can't wait to see more Z.

And Paranids are the biggest jerks around. Plus they contribute nothing useful except for one guy, in one plot.

Khayul

Post by Khayul » Tue, 14. Aug 12, 15:23

Yeha, but think about it :D Earth and all of it's colonies got pretty much wiped out by the AGI, I'd think anyone would freak out at the sight of something that almost made your race extinct. The commonwealth together has a greater firepower vs. the Xenon, as they are many races, so they don't get all wound up about it. :D

Actually, I quite like the Paranids, at least they are honest about what they think of you, even if it's not even meant as an insult, it's just the way they are raised ^^
The other thing is that they are actually quite right about the other races being "inferior", as they are truly intelligent and a lot stronger than every other race around. True, they are jerks, but I can live with that hehe.

Want to see more Zaitsev! :D

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Wed, 15. Aug 12, 10:33

Of course, if they had some guns that actually worked... ;)

Mostly I don't like the Paranid because my character doesn't and I need to remain in the mindset of the character to write effectively. Which I'm able to do again, somewhat. Which is nice.

Agreed. Get writing!

RyuKazuha
x3tc

Post by RyuKazuha » Wed, 15. Aug 12, 14:42

Finally finished reading this.

Like it so far, even though the start felt a bit to constructed around the SG-Reference. I'm curious what you plan on doing with this.

Keep it up, I'll certainly enjoy the read.

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Wed, 15. Aug 12, 20:20

Wait, what? Comments? And ... and ... people asking for more?

*sits down on the floor in the middle of the room and grin like an idiot for five minutes*

Thank you so much for the comments and encouragements, I really appreciate it :)
RyuKazuha wrote:Like it so far, even though the start felt a bit to constructed around the SG-Reference.
I know :p I tend to go with what I would like to read and most of the time others like it as well. And just in case - I only see your comment as an opinion and constructive critisism. Keep 'em coming, it's only going to make me a better writer ;)

On a more general basis, when I started writing on this again I saw all the things I could have improved and/or done differently, but that will have to wait until my next DiD. And yes, I'm planning on doing another one.
Triaxx2 wrote:Agreed. Get writing!
Your wish is my command, good sir. One update, comin' up :)

Footnote: I got sloppy and forgot to take screenshots of some of the mission, just in case someone was wondering why they were missing. Shame on me.

----------

Chapter 13 - If you close your eyes ...

Personal log: 768-05-03 – 15:05

I snored until my data pad showed 08:50 and woke up to discover that my little shield station had made me a Paranid Friend of Priest King. It had also hit me while I was asleep that I had forgot to assign a home base for that stubborn lizard in PTNI Headquarters, so I set the home base to my dream farm in Scale Plate Green via remote and now everything worked just fine. Duh. I wish this stuff would come with some sort of error reporting system, telling you where you screwed up. Alt least our new recruit, miss Gantelios Yagosias Trantaeos the sixth, was now hard at work buying e-cells for my dream farm. Note to self, check if freighters have a home base set before you go chewing out the pilot.

"Mornin', captain." Tracie said as she looked up from her data pad. She was just finishing breakfast, and I was just about to get mine. And a cup of coffee. I get cranky if I don't get my coffee.
"Morning," I said. "What are you reading?" She smiled
"Looks like you've made yourself noticed, captain. It's actually kind of funny." She held up her data pad for me to read. It was just a small notice, but it made me smile too. It mentioned an unknown Argon freelancer on the rise in Teladi and Split territory, and apparently both the Patriarch and the CEO of the Teladi company thought very highly of her. They had even gotten hold of a name. Judith Ukada.
"Looks like you're famous, captain."
"Aw, shucks. It was nothing." Just us working our asses off.
"False modesty doesn't suit you, captain." It was Jo.
"I'm not sure I could have done it with out you," I said, and I meant it. Knowing I had someone who covered my back had made it so much easier to pull this off.
"So what's next?" Jo asked. I chewed on it for a second.
"Push for phase three and establish a base in that sector we all know," I said. "I'm planning on putting the visit to this major general Ichiyama on hold until I can get some missile production going. I've got a feeling we'll be seeing a lot more action before this is over, and I'll feel a lot safer carrying a few missiles. Now, according to my estimates we need some fifty million to get a power core up and running and start building some missiles, so I guess we have our work cut out for us." I looked around. "Okey, let's get moving."

After breakfast and a cup of coffee we were ready for another day. The first 'customer' of the day was a Teladi at the trading station, wanting us to return an abandoned Kite in Ceo's Sprite. A hundred and seventy three grand was anything but a bad way to start the day, so we accepted and headed south to pick it up. We had plenty of time, so I decided to fix it and let it fly home on its own while we looked around for other juicy stuff.

Heading south into Company Pride to refuel, we spotted a Kha'ak Cluster a few clicks west of the gate. I felt like shooting something, so I ordered battle stations before we turned toward it and started the hunt. It ended like the last encounter, namely with a lot of dead Kha'ak in our wake. I took out the Fighter with my CIGs, and our turrets cut through the Scouts like a hot knife through butter. Oh, I love the smell of burnt Kha'ak in the morning. Or something.

The Kite needed a little patching before the HISS was happy, then it was just a matter of sending it home and cross my fingers, hoping it would make it in time. Then I jumped to Family Pride, as I was planning on setting up a local trader to keep the factories around Blue Profit happy. It would cost me a fair bit of money, but if it could keep my shield factory from running dry it would be worth it. The pilots were usually fresh out of the academy and could hardly find their own asses with both hands and a map, so who ever I got would have to lurk around Company Pride until he or she gained enough experience to only need one hand.

With the Caiman on the way I started looking around for missions again, and while I didn't find anything useful I did find a slightly used Boa for sale. I had been thinking about getting a fighter bus to carry those abandoned ships home and maybe use as a mobile base of operations, freeing up the Eris for use elsewhere, but I never got around to actually buying one.

Well, here was my chance so I bought it and was about to send it to the shipyard when something caught my eye. There was a Split marine on board. Somewhat inexperienced, but nothing a little training wouldn't fix. Unless he got pissed and ran off with my ship, that is. Anyway, welcome aboard, Pu t'Knt.

I ordered the Boa to the shipyard for some repairs and jumped south to Hatikvah's Faith to see if there was any action going on there. I also needed to grind Paranid rep, as they had a couple of missile factories I wanted. Hurricanes would give both the Morrigan and the Eris much improved bite against scouts, and getting a Hornet or three up the tailpipe could ruin anybody's day.

Now, I didn't find any 'Nids, but I did find an Argon and a Split, both offering roid scan missions. A quick estimate landed me in the vicinity of half a mill, so I accepted and flew off to scan some rocks. It was smooth sailing, although I did see some action along the way. A Brigantine was making short work of the trade lanes, and once again reminded me that I should get a freighter to store all these leftovers in. The OTAS Mistral Super Freighter would be ideal, but I'd be damned if I were to buy an Argon ship. The next best thing, at least when it came to cargo space, was the Boron Dolphin SF but it was slow as heck and didn't have as much as a single gun. The Teladi Vulture SF had almost as much cargo space as the Dolphin SF and it did have a gun, but it was even slower than the Dolphin. The Split Caiman SF had the least amount of cargo space, but it was fast and had plenty of armament. The Paranid Demeter was somewhere in between the rest, and I was planning on grinding 'Nid rep. Then I had to consider the possibility that the Terrans might have something up their sleeve if I ever got access to it. Now, where did I …

Xenon!

Yeah, some Split had just broadcasted an emergency message calling for every available pilot to participate in a patrol against possible Xenon incursions. I'm sure you all know what my reply was by now.

An M and four Ns entered through the north gate, so I whipped the Eris around and headed for them at full speed. I could of course have jumped to the north gate, but my mind was set on smashing Xenon and I really didn't think that far. Yeah, some military strategist I am.

There was a fair amount of hardware in the sector, but I still managed to nail an M and a N. After that was over we were asked to pick up an abandoned ship in Akeela's Beacon, and while the pay was kind of mediocre it was a chance to explore, so I accepted it. Jump to the east gate in Aladna Hill, u-turn, snatch, patch and send home. Easy as pie.

Back in Hatikvah's Faith we picked up a freight scan mission for a 'Nid. He was obviously getting ready for his morning raid and needed some suitable targets, so he hired us to find some. I took the Morrigan to cover more ground and went to work. I think I did pretty good, considering the amount of money he paid me. As a bonus the Brigantine was still making a mess of things and I spotted something peculiar. Beam weapons. The last time I checked, which I'll admit was a while ago, they were still prototypes, but now these guys had obviously gotten hold of some functional ones. Wonder if I could get my hands on something like that?

Just as I was about to dock with the Eris I got a message from the pirate base in Mines of Fortune. The Caiman I sent there had just docked, so I told them to give it a jump drive and send it to the solar power plant in Shareholder's Fortune for a refuel. Then it was just a matter of waiting. After that I had to go look for a pilot, and he, she or it would probably cost me a fortune. Urgh.

We were heading into Nopileos' Memorial to look for more missions when I got word from the power plant that the Caiman had made it. A quick refuel later and I ordered it to jump to Company Pride to get an Mk3 trade software command module and try to find a pilot. It only cost me half a million and I got a rookie pilot, but now I had a sector trader running. Yay, more income. As an added bonus a Pirate Guild Outpost had popped up in Company Pride and yes, they had jump drives. Shorter travel time to get jump drives equals increased profits. As for my rookie pilot I would place her in Greater Profit once she gained enough experience to manage more than one sector at once, where she could keep the food factories my shield complex depended on happy. Logistics is such a friggin' headache.

At least the taxi mission this 'Nid was broadcasting was less of a headache. The pay wasn't all that good, but since I needed 'Nid rep I accepted anyway. Every drop counted, and with 44 minutes on the clock I couldn't fail. I didn't fail either, and my Paranid rep jumped up a bit. One step closer to a Hurricane factory.

After dropping off the passengers we headed for Third Redemption, since it was the closest sector with a solar power plant and we needed a refuel. I knew there was a power plant in Aladna Hill, but since it was Argon and I didn't particularly feel like looking at the business end of a repeater any time soon we headed for Third Redemption. Paranid space. Besides, they had a shipyard there and I wanted to check out what they had in store.

On our way there I got a message from the Split I was working for, telling me his Buzzard Hauler had made it home safe and sound. Nice to know.

We arrived just in time to see this Paranid offering an assassination mission, and he was willing to fork out a nice amount of money for it. I still had enough e-cells to jump to Perdition's End, so I gambled at the south gate and fired the jump drive. Some fifteen seconds later we emerged from the south gate, and found out the mark was tumbling around near the west gate. A short hop and a Banshee missile later and she was dust, while we cashed in the reward.

Flying back into Third Redemption I spotted another mission. Hm, cartography chips courier? And the 'Nid offering the mission was willing to pay a bloody fortune for it. Oh yeah, baby. I transferred just enough e-cells to the Morrigan to make the jump to Perdition's End and back, undocked and let it rip. A quick jump later I was racing for the crystal fab at full speed, and a glance at the mission timer told me this was going to be a close one. Hooh.

A little docking computer magic later, and my contact shuffled the chips on board and sent me on my way. Those cargo haulers are really effective.

I waited til I was clear of the station, then plotted a course for the equipment dock in Third Redemption and fired the jump drive. Three minutes left, and that clock was ticking awfully fast. I suspected the docking computer was going to save my ass again … and it did! Made it with ten seconds left on the clock. Thanks, Lady Luck. Bloody hell, that was close. The 'Nid thanked me, and I think he was in a good mood because he only called me an inferior being twice and made me a Paranid Priest Protectorate. The fifth highest 'Nid rank, and it meant I could get my paws on a Hurricane factory. I only had some seventeen point seven million at the time, though, so it would have to wait until I had saved up … oh, another thirty five million or so. If I could get this kind of reward on a regular basis it wouldn't take too long, though.

"The local authorities are broadcasting a sector wide message, captain," Tracie said as I got back on board. "Patrol against possible Xenon incursion." Xenon ... I had to take a breath before I responded.
"Tell them we're in. And call for battle stations."

Meh. Too much hardware in the sector to make any sort of difference. I did manage to nail an N, though. There were also loads and loads of leftovers there, including 23 Wraith missiles. I couldn't use them, but they would make a very nice addition to my bank account.

The leftovers netted me just a hair over one million, and I got this bright idea that I should expand the shield complex. It had made some decent money since I put it up, so I thought why not. Action followed thought, and a quick jump later we were in Ceo's Sprite heading for the shipyard.

I picked up a construction mission for a Teladi on the way over, as she was looking for someone to set up a crystal fab way out in the middle of nowhere. It would only give me a couple of hundred grand or so, but it meant more factories that would eventually need food and I was considering expanding my complex to sell food as well. With a power core providing e-cells the cost was negligible, and everything it sold would be pure profits.

"Where did you hide all the tubes?"
I was staring at the complex construction kit, which used to be a huge mess of tubing and conveyer belts. Instead this was a huge mess of wires, electronic devices and antennas.
"Thisss isss sssomething new," the station manager hissed. "Itsss a quantum link, basssed on the transssporter devicssse. Eliminatesss the vulnerable tubesss and sssave materialsss. More efficsssient, and cheaper." Why was I not surprised? Everything to make a buck, eh? Anyway, I loaded the stations and the construction kit into the White Stripes and headed for the bridge.

Dropping the station was fairly quick. The trip to Blue Profit, less so. The problem with something as big as the White Stripes was that it had to wait to pass through the gate, and that took time. Lots of time. I twiddled my thumbs for nearly twenty minutes before the gate was clear, and I was rapidly running out of patience. I could have jumped, if I had only remembered to bring jump fuel, but clever me thought it wasn't necessary since I was going to the sector next door. Yay.

Logistics. Headache.

After messing about with the new transporter system for a few minutes we finally got the second factory up and running. Funny thing, actually. It used gravimetric projectors to keep the stations in a fixed position relative to each other and a specialized transporter array took care of the transport of resources and products between the stations and the hub. According to my station manager it was just as effective as the old system with tubes and stuff, and we didn't risk having anyone fly into the tubes and kill them selves on approach. That's one less headache, something I appreciated very much right now. Oh well, time to head home and rack up some more money.

"Oops." The comlink let out a scream that was suddenly cut short, and our shields fluctuated for a few moments. Yep, I managed to get my very first roadkill. Or gatekill if you want. Some Teladi scout was obviously messing around in front of the gate as the White Stripes came through, and my Elephant steamrolled the poor bastard without as much as loosing a single percent of shielding. That's the risk of gate travel for ya.

We got back to the shipyard without further incidents and then took the Eris down south to Company Pride for a refuel. While the e-cells were being loaded I kinda considered taking a look at that Terran mission, but I quickly dropped that thought. Missiles first, then we could talk. Instead I jumped to Family Pride and got two Caimans to set up as sector traders. Income and all that.

I also needed to talk to my guys and gals about money. Up to now we had always pooled our money into one account and just taken a few credits when ever we needed something. However, with our little company growing and income climbing as a result of that, I felt it was time to give my crew some proper payment. I also needed to work something out for when we got a crew for the White Stripes, whenever that was going to happen.

A mission beacon yanked me out of my thoughts, as both the shipyard and the local IRE forge needed "protection." I pulled a fast one and accepted both missions, then let the local military deal with the numbskulls coming through the gate. I can be such a stinker …

While the locals dealt with the pirates I played with my freighter a bit, shifting some sunrise flowers from the farm in Scale Plate Green to the refinery. Hm, maybe I could hire a pilot and make it a sector trader? Now that I was getting more work it was starting to eat into the time I had to work the market, so setting it up to keep the locals happy on its own seemed more and more like a good idea. It might not generate as much income as it would with me babysitting it, but a little was better than nothing.

Alright, enough thinking for now. Time to get back to work, and "work" turned out to be us ferrying a bunch of entertainment chips from Thuruk's Pride to Family Pride. It was for an Argon, but she was willing to fork out nearly a million for it so I accepted. I was kinda short on time, so I took the Morrigan just in case and left the Eris in Tracie's capable hands. Besides, if anything should happen they were in the home sector of the Split, who had stacked enough hardware in there to level anything several times over, and they had plenty of jump fuel to get the hell out if things ended up taking a bad turn.

What happened? Squat. I made my way to Thuruk's Pride, got the chips on board and flew back to Family Pride without a hitch, and Family Pride was so quiet you could hear a space fly fart. I returned to find not one, but two station protection missions, both being broadcasted from the same station. Wonder if these guys even talk to each other before they get on the horn and start screaming for help …

Anyway, I pulled another fast one and accepted both. Of course I didn't intend to fire a single shot, so I sat back and watched as the sector patrols ripped them a new one. Easiest money I've ever made, and the two Split offering the missions didn't care as long as their asses were safe. As the last pirate died I got word from the shipyard that my two Caimans were ready, so I gave them the basic equipment and sent them to Mines of Fortune to get their jump drives. I love it when things work as they were intended to do. Now I …

"Incoming transmission, captain. The local authorities want available pilots for a Xenon patrol." Xenon. Brrr. No matter how many I destroyed, it never seemed to be enough. However, this one I actually had to consider for a moment. It was likely to be a minor incursion, and the aforementioned Split hardware in this sector would probably whack everything before I even got into range. Ah, screw it. If I got the chance to nail even one of those soulless bastards I would be happy.
"Tell them we'll accept." I took a deep breath. "Alright, people. Battle stations!" Everyone knew the drill, and found their places. With the sound of ship-sized weapons capacitors charging in my ears I grabbed the stick and started looking for red dots on the grav.

Yeah, that worked out well. Or not. An L heavy fighter and a handful of Ns showed up, and they all got reduced to dust before I could get within weapons range. Crap. Oh well, I did get a small compensation for trying. I also got a consolation price in the form of a build mission, worth about three times the reward for the Xenon patrol, so it wasn't all bad. Oh-key, one Rastar refinery coming up. Time to go fly the brick again.

Unless I manage to get distracted on the way, of course. This Teladi offered me some six hundred and twenty five thousand reasons to put the build mission on hold for a while, as she wanted me to ship four military personnel to 'a Split station.' Teladi black ops? You've got to be shitting me.

Nice mix too. An Argon, a Boron, a Paranid and a Teladi gunnery sergeant who roared like a rabid lion. It was actually kind of funny to watch.
"Get your tailsss movin', ladiesss! Our ride isss here! Jovi, move that lead arssse of yoursss!"
I'll admit I had a hard time keeping my face straight. I think it was the long s-sounds that did it, combined with the fact that she yelled loud enough for the entire lower deck to hear her.
"You the captain of this russstbucket?" she hissed at me. Oh-key … Don't stretch it, lizard. You ain't that funny.
"I am," I said, returning her glare. "And it's 'Eris', not 'russstbucket'." I try to be as tolerant as possible, but people who insult my ship or my crew really pisses me off.
"Touchsssy, are we?" She eyed me up and down like a piece of meat and snorted.
"Only when it comes to my ship and crew," I said with a hint of frost in my voice.
"Hrmf. Well, let'sss ssse what thisss russstbucket can do." I briefly wondered if I could shoot her and kick her carcass into the nearest sun, but decided to swallow my pride and get them off my ship as soon as possible.

"Move us away and fire the jump drive," I muttered at Tracie as I entered the bridge. "Thuruk's Beard, north gate. Then head to the equipment dock. I want these tossers off my ship as soon as possible."
"Well, someone's been getting on your nerves," Tracie replied, rolling her eyes. I took a deep breath and just sat down in the pilot's chair without saying a word.
"Thuruk's Beard, north gate and equipment dock, aye." The drive charged, and then we were in the wormhole.

----------

Asset list

Ships:
M6 Drake - "Eris"
TS Caiman - "Mule 1"
TS Caiman - "NTC Sector Trader 1"
TS Caiman - "NTC Sector Trader 2"

Stations:
NTC Shield Complex - 2 x 1 mj shield factory, Blue Profit

18 358 053 credits
Last edited by Zaitsev on Fri, 24. Aug 12, 06:02, edited 1 time in total.

DiDs:
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Thu, 16. Aug 12, 19:00

Bad news, I'm afraid. The plugin manager has obviously decided to be less than cooperative, meaning it won't let me install the Asgard O'Neill. Since the O'Neill is a crucial part of what I had in mind I'm afraid this story is on hold until the problem can be resolved.

DiDs:
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Thu, 16. Aug 12, 19:06

Did you get the latest one? If so, try getting the previous version. I had an issue with upgrading and had to roll back.

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Thu, 16. Aug 12, 21:34

Yeah, I did get the last version. Fortunately I still have v1.30 around, so I'm going to try a rollback before I declare this a complete disaster.

Edit: And it WORKED! :D :D :D

*jumps up and down and send a very un-manly hug to Triaxx2*

Oh-key, then we're back in business. Watch this space for an update in the near future ;)

Edit: And here's the promised update. Running a little late, but hopefully it's going to be good. Enjoy :)

----------

Chapter 14 - Lost highway

Personal log: 768-05-03 – 20:12

After what felt like an eternity, the docking clamps latched on to the hull, and the lizard and her band of mercs finally got off my ship. Yeah, she really managed to get on my nerves. I took another breath, then asked Tracie to jump to Ceo's Sprite and dock at the shipyard so we could put down the rastar refinery for that Split.

With the White Stripes fueled up and ready to go, we undocked and hit the jump drive. A few moments later we were in Family Pride, and I plotted a course for the shipyard there. Now for the fun part of worming our way through corvettes, frigates, carriers and destroyers in a two kilometer long ship without hitting anything. I had already had one roadkill, and I wasn't interested in pissing off the Split in their home sector by smashing one of their fighters. That could become a short and interesting encounter, to say the least.

Fortunately we made it without hitting anyone, which was to be considered a small miracle given how many ships there were in the sector. Now it was just a matter of getting this station on board and dumping it next to the beacon, and we would be some six hundred thousand credits richer.

Hooray, we didn't hit anyone leaving the station either. I don't know whether to thank my flying skills or the skill of the captains on the warships surrounding the shipyard, but we made it. Got the station out too, and now it was unfolding in front of us like some highly elaborate mechanical flower. There. Station done, the Split was happy and I got my money. Now I had almost nineteen million in total, and I was a bit closer to getting that power core I had planned up and running. Then I just needed mines, crystal fabs, food factories and the missile factories I was thinking about …

(sigh)

Money, money, money. Lots of it, to get things rolling. I started thinking about more … unethical ways to get them, but it would throw all kinds of spanners in my works. Guess I had to stick to the legal ways, at least for now. Or maybe not totally … Hm, it might work. I would have to check it out before I could say something for certain. But now, back to Ceo's Sprite.

Speaking of money, another construction mission was waiting for us when we got back to Ceo's Sprite. A Teladi wanted us to construct a large bliss place in Greater Profit, and although the pay was rather ****** it would need swamp plants. The only competition was an L dream farm in Spaceweed Drift and an M dream farm in Teladi Gain, and they were both stretched pretty thin already. Dream farms weren't great earners, but every little bit would help. Besides, it would help keep me in the good graces of the Teladi.

As we were about to undock from the shipyard I got word that my Caimans had reached the pirate base and were ready to get their jump drives. The mechanic I had met when I first visited the base showed up on the screen, and I told him I wanted him to equip the two Caimans that had just arrived with jump drives.
"Will that be all, ma'am?" He was kinda cute when he called me ma'am.
"Yes, that will be all."
"Okey. Shouldn't take more than five mizura, then. Caimans are easy."
"Thanks."
"No problem, ma'am." Then he cut the link. I smiled. I'll admit I thought he was kind of charming. No, not in that way.

The next thing I did was to get a pilot and Mk3 trading software for Mule 1. With all the things going on it had been sitting idle for way too long, and the stations were starving. I didn't have time to babysit it anymore, so I hired a pilot at the equipment dock in PTNI Headquarters and put her to work in Scale Plate Green. Hopefully it was enough to keep them happy, and if not; too bad.

I sent the Eris down south to Company Pride to refuel and then jumped north. I didn't really trust the autopillok that much, but without a crew for the White Stripes I had to do it. Blergh. On a sidenote my Boa seemed to have disappeared, and after twisting the arm of the station manager aboard the Family Pride shipyard it seemed I was right. The marine had indeed stolen my ship. Bastard. Well, if our paths crossed again I would take great pleasure in shooting him in the face.

"Oops."
Yep, another road/gatekill. Why in Gunne's name couldn't they just get the frak out of the way? That thing even had big, flashing lights to warn you when ships were coming through, and the rules were simple; small ships usually come out at the top, big ships come out through the middle, you enter at the bottom and once you're through you get your ass out of the way ASAP. How friggin' hard could it be to grasp that? Bloody dimwits.

Anyway, I dropped the station, got my payment and then ordered the Eris to jump here by remote control. Once it came through the gate we beamed aboard enough e-cells to get the White Stripes back home to Ceo's Sptrite, beamed our selves aboard the Eris and sent the 'Stripes "home". I could have had the Eris meet me in Ceo's Sprite, but since we needed jump fuel anyway I once again had to trust the autopillok. With the White Stripes on its way home I headed over into Spaceweed Drift to look for suitable roids for my power core.

Yeah, that went really well. Spaceweed Drift had five ore roids, which were of no use to me, so I headed north to take a look at Profit Share. Profit Share had more ore, and they were all low yield rocks that were worth next to nothing to boot. Frak. Next stop … Seizewell, I think.

Well, that worked. Only small pun intended there. Another rock quarry, and it had some good silicon roids too. Now I had a bit of a problem, as I would have to either build the power core here and ferry e-cells to Blue Profit or build the power core in Blue Profit and have a CLS pilot haul wares between the two places. I would probably get a CLS pilot, as Blue Profit had a brighter sun and would thus give me more e-cells per hour. It also meant I had to deal with the Argons, as they were the only ones who sold CLS software. Bleh.
Now, I only needed cargo space for that job, so a Vulture super freighter equipped with a jump drive might be able to pull that off. It would take bloody ages for it to get to Mines of Fortune, though, so I would have to jump there myself and pick up a jump drive for it. If I were to start a mining operation, then a tractor beam would come in handy. So, 'Nid space next then.

"Tractor beam? Inferior being, the factories were closed a tazura ago. They did not make any profit, so his great holiness, the priest emperor Xaar decided to close down the factories and divert the resources elsewhere. Good day, unholy one."
Frak. Double frak. FrakfrakfrakFRAK! And those two factories were the only ones I knew of. Arrrgh! I could get a factory and build one myself, but that would cost me some fourteen million according to the price list from the shipyard. Bloody, motherfrakkin … And to add insult to injury I thought about picking up one of those tractor beams when I first came here, but I thought they were too expensive. Crap. Maybe I could find some somewhere else …?

Oh well, if I really needed one that bad I guessed I would have to build a factory. So instead of costing me three quarters of a million, that tractor beam would cost me fourteen million instead. Great move, Rahne. Great move.

I decided to go blow off some steam by doing some reckless flying. No, not really. A 'Nid wanted me to pick up some cartography chips in Clarity's End, so I took the Morrigan and headed over. Okay, maybe there was a bit of reckless flying involved, but don't tell anyone. I made it with a good three minutes left on the clock, and the 'Nid was obviously so happy he made sure I was promoted to Paranid Friend of Emperor. Yay, more rep.

Next up was your average 'snatch and patch'-operation, as this 'Nid had … misplaced a ship and needed someone to retrieve it. He gave me some two hundred and thirty thousand good reasons why I should do it, and I wasn't difficult to ask. He told me the ship, a Mercury, was sitting in Company Pride, so I jumped there and … hey. The Pirate Guild Outpost here stocks jump drives. Nice. And there was the Mercury too, a bit banged up but otherwise fine.

A quick welding job and the transfer of a jump drive, navcom module and some e-cells later and the Mercury was on its way home. I wondered what the hell a 'Nid was doing with an Argon ship, but I decided I might not want to know. He would probably tell me to sod off if I asked anyway.

Lost ships seemed to be as thick as space flies this season, because another mission went out on the broadcast system just as we entered Third Redemption to pick up our jump drive and navcom. Pretty hefty reward too, so I accepted without blinking.

It turned out to be a Vulture Hauler in Rolk's Legacy. Drat. Those things could be overtaken by a glacier on a good day, and this was probably banged up as hell. Good thing I had the extra jump drive, so I didn't have to make it fly all the way home. It probably wouldn't have gotten out of the sector before the time was up, and then the police would come rushing in to blow up the 'stolen' ship. Speaking of jumping, I was running low on e-cells so I had to get some before I could go anywhere. Fortunately there was a couple of solar power plants here in this sector, so I wouldn't have to go looking all over the place. I couldn't wait to get the power core up and running, because then I could hook up a freighter with CLS and have it jump in and refuel me at the push of a button. Yeah, one can dream. At least for now.

Hokey, tanked up and good to go. Glad I couldn't carry much, because the bastard 'Nids charged me 17 credits a cell. Expensive rescue, in other words. The reward would make up for it, though. Barely. About a hundred times or something like that.

Good thing I grabbed those e-cells, because the mission data were taking us into uncharted territory. In other words a lot of in-sector jumping, as we entered one gate, locked on to the next, then jumped between them and took a u-turn so we didn't have to fly a gazillion kilometers to get to our destination. Simple, but effective.

Yes, the freighter was banged up when we found it. Yes, I spent a good amount of time fixing the dents to make the HISS happy. And yes, we did get it home in time. Piece of cake with a jump drive, actually.

I was checking my freighters while Tracie picked up our spare jump drive an navcom, and one of my sector traders in Company Pride had gained enough experience for me to give her bigger tasks. So she got relocated to Split space, to keep the factories in and around Rhonkar's Fire happy. I had noticed that some of the factories there were choke full and others were lacking the same resources the former were full of. Either that or they all lacked energy, which they had plenty of in Tharka's Sun and Family Rhonkar. So, lots of moneys to be made.

With that out of the way I decided to move to Hatikvah's Faith to see what kind of mischief I could cause there. Not a lot, really, as I had to play nice for a while to get the Argons to trust me. Yuck. I'd rather scrub the head with a toothbrush the morning after the end of a week long binge than kiss Argon ass, but if I wanted to reach my goals I just had to suck it up and be nice.

What I could do was helping others to behave badly. Yep, freight scan mission for a pirate. He wanted targets for his morning raid and I was more than happy to provide them, at least for the money I was looking at. He only offered five percent of the value of whatever I scanned, but since Hatikvah's seemed especially busy right now I reckoned I could make a pretty penny nonetheless. Maybe I should poke my nose in here more often, just in case some pirate was looking for juicy targets? Maybe I could watch them raid Argon freighters too.

The thought of that made my spine tingle as I climbed down into the Morrigan. I needed to cover a lot of ground, and the Eris just wasn't fast enough for that. Ideally I would want to get a Kestrel for these kind of jobs, but since I didn't have anywhere to put it I'd have to wait until I could get my paws on TM, or maybe a Hyperion Vanguard. Those Hyperions were yummy. The second fastest Commonwealth M6, loads of cargo space, two docking clamps, good selection of weapons and missiles, and strong shields. As I said, yummy. I also had to board one if I wanted one, and I wasn't sure I wanted to pitch my marines against angry Paranids. Maybe later, when I had more of them …

In the meantime I decided to play freighter pilot again, as this lizard was looking for someone to fetch some cartography chips for her. I guess I could do that, especially since she was willing to fork out some seven hundred and seventy-odd credits for it. The ten minute time limit was a bit tight, but I made it anyway which pushed my account over the 22 million mark. A full power core would cost me somewhere around thirty seven million, so I still had some work to do. Then there was the bloody expensive 'Nid food loop, plus the missile factories and an ore mine. That would cost me another ten million, just to get things rolling.

(sigh)

Still, if I kept getting missions like this one I guess it would be manageable. Yeah, this 'Nid wanted a Pegasus Vanguard and he was willing to pay almost six hundred thousand for it. Guess he was really desperate for a ship, then. The time limit was pretty generous too, and since I knew the shipyard in Third Redemption sold Pegasus Vanguards I accepted without a second thought.

I knew the ship probably wouldn't make it on its own, so I parked the Morrigan at the local rastar refinery and jumped south to pick up a Pegasus Vanguard. Order it, twiddle my thumbs for the roughly six minutes it would take for the shipyard to construct it and then have it dock with the Eris and jump north again. Pretty easy, although I was seriously considering getting a TM for these kind of jobs. I even had a special one in mind, namely the Yaki Chokaro. With its speed and cargo capacity it would be perfect, even though it sacrificed one fighter bay for that cargo space. I could definitely live with that.

As I dropped off the Pegasus for the 'Nid I picked up an emergency transmission. It was a Split who was looking for pilots to help patrol against possible Xenon incursions. Old hatred boiled to the surface, so I accepted. Then I made the move of the day, as I decided to recall the Morrigan before I went into battle. The 'Xenon activity' consisted of an L and a couple of Ns, and while the Morrigan made its way to the Eris a passing Split Python reduced the Xenons to dust. Yay. The fun was over before I even had a chance to join in, and I got yelled at for not noticing plus a small compensation for the trouble. Way to go, Rahne. At least my Pegasus made it, so I had some six hundred and fifty two thousand credits plus change to ease my pain. Ah well, you win some and … lose … some.

Damn! I had to do the old triple take. Some Split wanted me to go to Thuruk's Beard to pick up some cartography chips. And the reward? One point seven million! Ho-lee … Now, that's what I'm talking about. Stars! And ten minutes? The Morrigan would make that just fine. I loaded it up with just enough e-cells to make the jump to Thuruk's Beard and back, and accepted. Undock, gun the engines, plot the jump and leave the rest to the autopillok. Yeah, it was actually good for something besides borking ships, like plotting the shortest path from a gate to a station. Then it was just a matter of adding a little docking computer magic, and voila. Made it with just over a minute to spare.

I even managed to pick up a 'snatch and patch' from a Boron as I approached the station with the chip load. With a reward just shy of three hundred thousand I would look at about two million for some fifteen minutes of work. Nice. As an added bonus it wanted me to pick up a Kestrel, and even without tunings it was still fast enough to make it back home in time. Nice to not have to fuss around with jump drives and such for once.

"Calling all pilots. Xenon activity is on a rise. We are looking for experienced combat pilots to increase our patrols. Calling all pilots." Our speakers roared as the emergency broadcast system cut in on all channels. A quick look through the mission data revealed that it was a Split who had sent the message and he was offering a pretty healthy reward too. Smashing chips? Hell yeah!

Or not. Dumb chips decided it would be a great idea to pick on a Split task force passing through, and they got their asses kicked so hard I'm sure you'll find Xenon with Split boot prints on their engines from this day on. In other words, no fun for me this time around either. Crap. Oh well, better scoot over to Thuruk's Beard to pick up that Kestrel, then.

A quick welding job later, and the HISS was satisfied enough to let it run at full speed. I sent it home, then I jumped to Split Fire to go look for tractor beams. I didn't really think I was going to be that lucky, but one never knows. Maybe there was one collecting dust in some remote part of an equipment dock or something?

The first thing that met me when I entered Split Fire was a Paranid looking for an M4 interceptor. He only gave me 12 minutes, but with a whopping one point eight million in reward I had to try.

"Tracie, plot a course for the Third Redemption shipyard."
"Third Redemption shipyard, aye." The jump drive charged, and ten seconds later we were in the wormhole. Once there I immediately ordered a Pericles and headed for the solar power plant as I was once again running low on jump fuel. Damn it, I needed to get that power core up and running so I didn't have to run around looking for e-cells all the time. Well, at least that would be next on my list. Then I just had to train a CLS pilot so he, she or it could find their ass without a map and we would all be set to go. Only problem was that such plans have a nasty habit of failing when they met reality. Guess we would have to wait and see.

Some good news came through, though, as I got word that the Kestrel I had snatched in Thuruk's Beard had made it home. Now, if this Pericles would just hurry up …

With only one docking clamp I would have to leave the Morrigan in Third Redemption, so I just transferred some jump fuel, crossed my fingers and hoped no one would run off with her while I was gone. In that case they would have to face six CIGs, five marines and one seriously pissed captain, and I would make sure who ever took her died in the slowest way possible. There, the Pericles was safely docked. Now to get the hell out, bounce back to Split Fire and hope this thing would make it.

"Come on. Come ooon …"
Frak, I would drive myself nuts if I was going to watch over the Pericles for the entire time. If I could have I would have gotten out and pushed it, but that would have worked about as well as trying to stop an angry Split by throwing flowers at him. In other words, no effect at all. In the Split's case it would probably just make him more angry, but that's another discussion.

"Fraaak!"
The Pericles was just ten meters away from the docking clamps when the time ran out. The 'Nid immediately appeared on the screen and told me time was up and that I had failed. Then he added something about inferior beings and cut the link with a disdaining sneer. I muttered some rather salty curses, had the Pericles dock with the Eris and ordered a jump to Ceo's Sprite. If I dumped it at the shipyard it wouldn't be a total loss, and since I was on good terms with the Teladi I knew I would get a good price.

With the Pericles on its way to the shipyard I turned to Tracie.
"Let's go back to Split Fire," I said. "I still want to take a peek into 'Nid space." And maybe find some tractor beams. My hopes weren't exactly sky high, but if I could scrounge up one it would be better than building an entire factory just to get one single tractor beam. Once there I had the Morrigan jump in and dock, then I headed for the gate leading to Priest's Pity. Time to go exploring again. Unless I got distracted on the way, of course …

"Roid scan, captain. Nine roids, and the fish is willing to pay almost a hundred and fourteen thousand per roid."
Yeah, that should help ease my frustration a bit.
"Tell 'em we'll be more than happy to ease the work load. Especially with that reward, but you don't have to tell them that." I grinned and grabbed the stick, waiting for the mission data to be transferred.

The roids were scattered all over the place, so I took the Morrigan as it was faster. It looked kinda tight there for a moment, but I made it. I wasn't the only one, as the Pericles made it too. I did lose some seventy grand on it, but it could have been much worse. I'm pretty sure my rank as Teladi Company Director had nothing to do with the fact that I got a damn good price for it. I also took the opportunity to move one of my sector traders to Ianamus Zura, to keep the factories there entertained. Most of them were starving, and the local traders didn't seem to have enough IQ to actually move nostrop oil from the refineries, who were stuffed to the gills, to the factories next door who was screaming for the stuff. I doubted a single Caiman could make that much of an impact, but at least it would give me some income. Now for the last roid, and then I would be a cool mill richer.

Yep. I was even promoted to Queen's Knight for the trouble. Maybe I should use that to get me one of those nice Megalodons I had seen patrolling Ocean of Fantasy? Unless that nice, emerald green hull color would drive me insane first, along with the smell of ammonia that you could never get rid of. Ah, whatever.

I docked at the Eris and pointed the nose south. 'Nid space, here we come.

Uhm … Yeah. That didn't go too well. Priest's Pity turned up nada, Priest Rings was dry too and it was a soup sector at that. I hate soup sectors. Can't see a damn thing before you hit it. I did manage to find an Argon offering a roid scan mission, though. Didn't pay nearly as good as the last one, but since I needed the rep I did it anyway. It helped a little to think about blowing them up with their own toys when this was all over, and being promoted to Argon Federation Marshal sort of helped too. Now, back to tractor beam hunting.

Meh. I had just plowed through Paranid Prime, Emperor Mines and Empire's Edge, and none of them had any tractor beams. The station manager in Empire's Edge took great pleasure in telling me what an inferior being I was for not knowing that the two factories in Third Redemption were the only ones who stocked tractor beams, and since they were gone I was shit out of luck. So, if I wanted a tractor beam it would basically cost me fourteen million plus resources. Frakkin' great! And to add to it all I really needed one to organize the bloody mess in that unknown sector so I could avoid having freighters zipping all over the place. Urgh. Guess I was going to end up with a very expensive tractor beam, then. However, that would have to wait until I had a tiny bit more money. Blargh.

"Gate spotted, captain. Bearing 34 by 12 degrees. " I had told Tracie to be on the lookout for a gate, which was easier said than done in this soup.
"Yeah, that's the gate to Savage Spur. We're heading into Yaki territory to get me a Chokaro."
"Chokaro, captain?"
"Yeah, a Yaki TM. One of the fastest TMs out there, and it can carry 2500 units of XL cargo, making it ideal as a fighter bus. Besides, if we keep getting missions like the ones we've had lately we're going to need something a lot faster than the Eris or the Morrigan. I was thinking a Kestrel, and since I want to keep the Morrigan aboard the Eris in case we need something lighter than a corvette that still has plenty of teeth, I thought about keeping it aboard the Chokaro and have it jump the Kestrel in when we need it."
"So in other words, a glorified rock scanner with its own bus." I had to laugh.
"Yeah. Add taxi and freight scanning to that, and you have nailed it." She just grinned before we both turned back to our consoles. If I remembered correctly there was a bloody heap of rocks awaiting us at the other side and although there was ample room for the Eris to get through I still didn't like to fly through there. Yeah, I may have flown through there once or twice before.

It was just as I remembered it. Lots of rocks, and a sort of 'tunnel' leading from one gate to the next. I also picked up something that hadn't been there before, namely a ship. The IFF said 'Enhanced Pericles', and although the stats kind of sucked I could probably sell it or something. Now for the really interesting trip, namely into Ocracoke's Storm. It was usually quite heavily patrolled, and I hoped my rank was good enough to avoid getting us shot on sight.

Oh well, here goes nothing.

----------

Asset list

Ships:
M6 Drake - "Eris"
TS Caiman - "NTC Sector Trader 3"

Stations:

26 848 709 credits
Last edited by Zaitsev on Fri, 24. Aug 12, 06:02, edited 2 times in total.

DiDs:
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Sat, 18. Aug 12, 17:41

Here's chapter fifteen. Now, I've reached the end of my pre-written notes and since work's starting up again monday it's probably going to take a few days before I can post any updates. It's kind of a long one, but I hope you still enjoy :)

Edit: Crap, I knew I forgot something.

----------

Chapter 15 - Wake up the sleeping giant

Personal log: 768-05-04 – 02:32

Hm. Ocracoke's Storm was unusually quiet. Not good. It triggered my professional paranoia, and my gut told me something was wrong here. I ignored my gut for the moment being and headed south to find that bloody gate they had hidden down there. It wasn't easy to find, but then again I suspect that was intentional.

"Oh. Frak."
So this was what my gut had tried to tell me. A Teladi Gannet was circling the shipyard, and it had made a mess of the place already. The shipyard was down to twenty percent hull, but now the Gannet had obviously spent all its torpedoes and was hitting it with Flails, which couldn't penetrate the shield. Crap.

I took my chances and asked for docking permission. The young Teladi at the other end was a little reluctant, but a few well placed credits made her see things my way. As I entered the station, the place was literally falling apart and people were running from one place to the next trying to keep it all together. Oh, this could be interesting.

After asking around I finally found the shipyard manager. He seemed a bit busy, so I put on my sweetest and most charming smile and pulled down the zipper on my jacket an extra centimeter or two before I entered his office.
"Wha' the blazin' hell do you want? Can't ya see we're kinda busy here?"
"Preferably a Chokaro, if you have one available." I said, ignoring his protest.
"Gunne's nuts, gal. We're under attack, an' ya want a bloody ship!?"
"Well, I'm sure three hundred thousand credits plus equipment cost will get you at least some new parts." I looked at him and played with the zipper on my jacket. He chewed on it.
"Ya got the dough available?" he asked.
"Sure." I held up my credit chip, and he scanned it and ran the numbers. His eyes widened a bit, but he didn't say anything.
"Y'know, I do have a Chokaro in store. Made it for some small time scoundrel, but he neva' picked it up. Gimme five mizura and I'll see wha' I can do fo' ya."
"Thanks. You wouldn't happen to have an … accessory list too?" He rubbed his chin, then handed me a dusty. old data pad.
"Knock ya'self out, gal."

He had some really nifty stuff there, like jump drives and triplex scanners. He even had a transporter device laying about, which I of course picked up without a second thought. If it was one thing I knew, it was that transporter devices were very handy.
"Goin' nuts, are we?" he said as I handed him my list.
"Just a little bit," I said and fluttered my eyelashes. He shrugged and typed in a few commands, and a few seconds later my data pad beeped to confirm that the credits had been transferred.
"Five mizura, then she'll be all yers."
"Thanks," I said, then I left and headed back to the Eris.

"Did you manage to persuade who ever was in charge?" Tracie asked as I climbed back into the pilot's seat.
"Yeah," I said. "It took some … cunning, but we're in business."
"Well, your cunning is still showing." She nodded at my jacket, still halfway unzipped. I gave her my 'I don't know what in the whole wide universe you're talking about'-look and zipped up. She just snorted a laugh and asked station command for permission to undock.

I'll admit I was tempted to blow that Gannet out of the water to make sure my Chokaro made it, but the thing was fully shielded and even with my six CIGs it would take time to punch through six gigajoule of shielding. That would certainly have the Teladi in an uproar before I could say "delaxian wheat farm", and it might jeopardize my ships and factories in Teladi space. Hopefully they would eventually rebuild the shipyard if the Teladi managed to destroy it, cause they had a lot of nifty things there. Oh well, back to Empire's Edge then.

Once there I roamed around a bit, and I'll admit I was hoping to find a tractor beam despite what that 'Nid had told me. Maybe he was pulling the leg of an inferior being? Yeah, fat chance. It was probably a wild goose-chase, but the thought of paying fourteen million just to get one tractor beam annoyed me to no end, so I kept hoping.

After going through a lot of nothing I got the big chief on the horn. My Chokaro was ready, so I had it fly to Empire's Edge on autopilot and ordered it to dock at the local solar power plant. It did have a jump drive, but since it didn't have any e-cells it was kind of useless. In the meantime I docked at the solar power plant myself, as we were running low on fuel again. I briefly wondered if we were leaking e-cells or something, but no. A somewhat extensive use of the jump drive obviously gave my e-cells wings, draining my "tank" in no time flat.

Hum, what was this? I glanced at the mission beacons and this one mission caught my eye. Some 'Nid wanted a Pegasus, and he was willing to pay me some damn good money for the trouble. Let's see, the closest shipyard I knew of that sold the Pegasus was the one in Third Redemption, so I asked Tracie to plot a course and get us there. Ten seconds later the jump drive fired, and we were in the wormhole.

Okey, now I had to enter the world of logistics again. Headache. Order the Pegasus, transfer some e-cells from the Morrigan and have it jump back to Empire's edge, then wait for the shipyard to finish building, dock the ship and follow the Morrigan. What could possibly go wrong?

Surprisingly little, it seemed. He had given me a minute short of an hour, and the Pegasus took a little under seven minutes to build. I almost expected something to go horribly wrong, but no. At least not this time. The Pegasus docked smoothly, we jumped back and sent it on its way. Easy as pie, and it put a big grin on my face.

"Message from the solar power plant, captain. Your Chokaro has arrived." Wohoo!
"Tell them to fill her with 1500 e-cells," I said. "Then let her sit there for the time being."
"1500 e-cells, aye. And … Whoa!"
"What?"
"Take a look at this, captain."
I'm pretty sure my eyeballs threatened to pop out of their sockets. One point two million credits to get this Split an Iguana? I would have to jump to Family Pride to get my paws on one of those, but it would definitely be worth it.
"Alright, tell him we'll do it. Then recall the Morrigan and let's get moving."
"Recalling the Morrigan and plotting a course for Family Pride now. Contact in five, jumping in fifteen seconds."

The docking light, indicating that the clamps had latched on to the hull of the Morrigan, lit up and we charged the jump drive. Some fifteen seconds later we were looking at Family Pride, and I got the shipyard on the horn and ordered an Iguana. I also got a Xenon patrol in my lap, as the local authorities sent out a sector-wide broadcast asking for pilots to help bolster their patrols. Not that it looked like they needed any help with a couple of destroyers, half a dozen frigates and more corvettes and fighters than I could be arsed to count circling the shipyard, but what the heck. It was a chance for me to smash some chips. Now, if I took the Morrigan it would …

Or not. That's not supposed to be lit …?

Crap.

After some searching it turned out some ten centi-credit chip had failed and given a false positive. In other words the docking clamps had failed to engage and the Morrigan was now halfway across Priest Rings in an attempt to catch up with us. Frakkin' great. I vented my frustration on the L and the handful of Ns that had just jumped in, and managed to kill the L and two Ns before the Xenon decided they'd had enough.

I had the shipyard send a spare chip over via messenger drone and changed it, making sure it worked properly this time. Then I sent a stop order to the Morrigan and called up my Chokaro, which I had named Tartarus, to have it pick up the Morrigan. Overly complicated as I could just have ordered the Morrigan to jump here, but I sort of wanted to see what my Chokaro could do.

While I waited for the Morrigan to dock I transferred our jump drive and navcom to the Iguana and sent it on its way to Empire's Edge. Then, while I waited for the Tartarus to make the jump and get into position, I totally forgot the Iguana trundling across Empire's Edge. Yeah, the Split got a free jump drive and navcom. Or, he did pay me for it. I just had to go through the trouble of finding a replacement.

I muttered a few curses and sent the Tartarus to the solar power plant in Company Pride. It would have to function as a temporary base until I could get my own up and running. I also used the Tartarus' sensors to look around in case the Pirate Guild Outpost in Company Pride was still there, but it was gone. Mines of Fortune it is, then.

"Rahne? Rahne Kylara?"
We had just docked at the pirate base in Mines of Fortune and I was on my way to the mechanic when this big, lumbering Split grabbed my arm.
"Uhm … Yes?" Then it hit me. "Kao? Kao t'Snt?" Kao was a 'fixer', a merc who dug up hard to find items for people wanting to avoid prying eyes. For a price, of course. I had met him shortly after I bought the Eris, and I was looking for some rather exclusive items for a client of mine at the time which he helped me find. He was a very atypical Split, laughed a lot and was generally always in a good mood. Sure, he could whoop your ass if he really wanted to, but unlike most of his brethren he preferred to talk first and shoot if necessary. He told me once it made his clients come back for more. Either that 'or because I don't shoot 'em unless they get cranky' as he said. We had hit it off immediately, and we had grown close over the last year. Well, as close as a pirate and a freelancer can get anyway.
"The same," he rumbled with a big smile. "So, may I ask what in Gunne's name brings you all the way out here?" I sighed.
"Long story."
"Wanna tell me over a watered down space fuel?" I chewed on it for a moment. It wasn't like I was in some kind of hurry, and I hadn't seen him in ages.
"Ah, what the heck. I can't pass up a drink with an old friend now, can I?."
"That's my girl." He smiled again, that big, ferocious Split smile, and headed for the bar.

He pointed me to one of the more private corners of the place and then brought a bottle of space fuel and two glasses from the bar.
"I got the good stuff." he said, still with that smile on his face. I grabbed the bottle, poured a triple and downed it in one gulp. Kao's smile faded a bit.
"That bad, eh?"
"Tell me 'bout it."
"So, you wanna tell uncle Kao what's up?"
"Well, it all started a few days ago …"

Half an hour and half a bottle of space fuel later I had told him everything. I mean, I had trusted this guy with my life on more than one occasion, and I seriously doubted that he would frame me or turn me in.
"Damn …" He looked at me with his eyebrows raised.
"I know," I said, suddenly feeling exhausted. And a little drunk.
"So," I said as I finished my story. "What about you?"
"Weeell … I went legit." My eyes grew as large as the plates they used to serve whatever sludge they ate in here. "At least for a while. Got a crew and a ship and tried to be nice, but you know … Old habits and stuff." I drew a sigh of relief.
"You had me worried there," I said with a smile. Then it hit me what he had said. "Crew, Kao?" I smelled an opportunity.
"Yeah, me and fifteen Argon, Teladi and Split." They might be enough to get the White Stripes going, and I knew he wouldn't have problems scrounging up more should the need arise. "Buuut, we ran into a bit of bad luck and now we're stranded here." Definitely an opportunity, and I was ready to grab it with both hands.

"Say, you don't want to w …" That's about as far as I got before the hollow, thunderous sound of a missile impact echoed through the station, immediately followed by the entire station shaking and creaking at the seams.
"Captain!?" Tracie almost screamed over the comlink.
"Yeah, go ahead, Tracie."
"You might want to get off that station right now! We got fighters, bombers and at least three destroyers inbound, and it looks like all hell is about to break loose here!" Not good.
"We're on our way. And tell Jo and the guys we're going to have company."
"Company, captain?"
"Yeah, I sort of ran into an old friend. I'll explain later. Rahne out."
I turned to Kao.
"Gather your men and meet me at docking bay seven." He raised an eyebrow. "It'll be tight, but I might be able to get you out of here. Think of it as payback for when you saved my ass in Duke's Citadel." He grinned and nodded, then started bellowing orders as I ran for the docking area.

Two minutes later we were gathered in front of the hatch leading to the Eris. Now heavier ordnance had joined the choir, and the station was being constantly pummeled by missiles as well as both fighter- and capital grade weapons. The station's shields were dropping like a lead balloon, and it wouldn't last more than a couple of minutes before the hull was exposed and things would go to hell in a handbag.
"Everyone accounted for?" I asked. He nodded at me.
"Every single one."
"Alright," I said, raising my voice. "This might be a little cramped, but we're going to get your asses out of here. Get in, sit down and hold on to whatever you can. This might get a liiittle hairy."

Kao's crew shuffled aboard, and I locked down the hatch and headed for the bridge. Kao followed me like he owned the ship.
"Alright," I said to Tracie as I jumped into the pilot's seat. "Let's get the hell out of here."
No time to get permission to take off, so I pulled the emergency release and hit the throttle as soon as the clamps let go. I dodged a few fighters and some light missiles as I left, weaving and rolling my way through the incoming fire.

"Mother of Gunne …"
As we emerged from the shadow of the pirate base it became apparent just how much of a shit storm we were in for. First thing I picked up was a Cerberus, a pair of Gladiators, a Gannet and … a Deimos? I moved away from the ecliptic in an attempt to avoid most of that hardware, and as I turned south I spotted more capital ships heading for the pirate base at full speed.
"Someone's in for an asswhoppin'," Kao said.
"Yeah …" I said quietly, suddenly thinking of that young mechanic who had installed my jump drives. I just hoped he would make it.

We drifted south, toward the gate to Home of Opportunity. I didn't get a new jump drive, but at least I would get my paws on a new navcom module.

"So …" Kao said as we approached the gate. "What was it you were about to say when the Argon military so rudely interrupted our conversation?"
"Ah, yeah. Work. You still know how to fly a TL, I suppose?" He nodded.
"Well, it just so happen that I have an Elephant in need of a captain and a crew. And yeah, I know fifteen men will be on the skinny side as far as crew goes, but it's a start."
"What about payment?" He asked, suddenly all business.
"Food and shelter?" I said, giving him my most innocent look.
"Nice try," he replied, snorting a laugh.
"Alright, alright. Right now we're just starting up, so I can't give you more than a hundred grand a day. Your crew members get fifty grand a day, but all that's likely to change." I looked around the bridge. "That goes for you too, if you want to." I said, pointing at Tracie and my marines. "Fifty thousand a day. It's time I started paying you guys properly, anyway."

"Aw, shucks, captain." It was Marissa, our resident living-in-the-moment optimist. "You know you don't have to do that," Jo shot in. "Our system has worked just fine up until now."
"I know," I said. "But I want to. I know I can't repay you for what you have done for me, so take it as a small token of appreciation."
"If you say so." She gave me one of her rare smiles and sat down again.
"I do," I said, smiling back. Then I turned to Kao.
"So, what do you say?"
"From commanding a Shrike to an Elephant? Naah … I was aiming for something bigger." He sounded reluctant, but I knew him well enough to be able to tell that he was already interested.
"We can always drop you off at the nearest station and let you all stare at the wall," I said with a teasing edge in my voice. "Besides, something bigger might be waiting for you and your crew down the road."
"Heh … Same ol' Rahne. Okey, you got me, but I'll have to ask the guys if they're willing to go along with it."
"Go right ahead," I said with a little smile. He promptly walked off the bridge, and I could hear that deep, rumbling voice of his down in the common area.

We were about to dock at the equipment dock in Home of Opportunity when he came back. I had heard the cheering from the back, so I had a certain idea about what the answer would be.
"They accepted," he said. "Guess sitting aboard a ship and getting paid to stare at the walls beat sitting aboard a station, doing the same thing and not getting paid."
"Funny thing, isn't it? By the way, you'll have to tell them to make room for a 'Nid. There's one aboard the equipment dock who asked for a ride, and he was willing to pay very good money to get to his destination." Kao just looked at me like I was off my rocker and sighed. I knew he'd do it. Now I just had to pick up a navcom module and go get that 'Nid.

Well, that went surprisingly smooth. The 'Nid had just paid us and wandered off, and the computer now informed me that it had made me a Paranid Seeker of Holy Light. Not bad for an inferior being.

I was just about to get on board again when this Teladi came running after me.
"Wait," she gasped, trying to catch her breath. I raised an eyebrow and looked at her.
"Yeah?" She held up a clawed finger, still trying to catch her breath.
"Are … you … the captain of … thisss ssship?"
"Yep. How come?"
"Are you available … for a misssion?"
"Maybe. Depends on what it is."
"I'm a prossspector and the bosss jussst called me and sssaid ssshe wanted sssome roidsss ssscanned. Unfortunately I'm very busssy, ssso now I'm looking for sssomeone willing to take the job."
"How many and what kind of money are we looking at?"
"Eight roidsss total, sssixty thousssand four hundred and ninety two creditsss a piecssse. Plusss a bonusss if you make it in time, of courssse."
"Alright, I'll do it." A hair under one point six million for fifteen minutes of work? Yeah, I could live with that.

"Seems like you'll be stuck with us for a while yet," I said to Kao and his crew as I boarded the Eris again. "Roid scan mission, and since it's at least half a mill I couldn't pass it up." There was some muttering, but Kao's burning stare quickly shut them up. I couldn't blame them, though. Fifteen men, women, Teladi and Split crammed into a space that was designed for maybe half that number. I had to get them out, and fast.

"Hm."
I was looking at a Caiman Super Freighter someone had put up for sale, and after a little patching I could probably make between a hundred and fifty and two hundred grand off of it. Action followed thought, so I bought it and parked it above the trading lanes while I continued scanning rocks. A little patching, and then it would end up as rivets at the Family Tkr shipyard. Then it was time to deliver the roid data to the Teladi … But not before we had spotted this odd fellow. A Paranid Proteus according to its IFF. Apparently a new frigate design, although it looked a little … Un-paranidesque in lack of a better word. According to the data it could still deliver a really nasty beating, though. His friends followed in short order, and I reckoned they were part of the task force that attacked the pirate base. That too had my professional paranoia tingling, as the Argons and 'Nids actually worked together instead of shooting at each other.

Heading back to Family Tkr to pick up my Caiman SF I had the Tartarus fly over to Ceo's Sprite and transfer some e-cells to the White Stripes. It was time to get phase three going, and establish a power core in that unknown sector of ours. Damn, I would have to find a suitable name for it.

A ship for sale derailed my thoughts. A Magnetar, and it wasn't in too bad of a shape. Kind of expensive, but I reckoned I make about a hundred grand if I patched it and sold it. So yeah, now we had two ships to take care of. I decided to take Jo and the marines along to make it go a little faster. Fifteen minutes later they were both patched up and as good as we were going to get them, so I sent them to the shipyard and headed back to the Eris.

"Alright, Kao," I said as I entered the common area. "Time for you and your crew to earn those credits. We're jumping to Ceo's Sprite to transfer you guys to my Elephant. Make yourselves comfortable, then go to Ocean of Fantasy, pick up an XL solar power plant and wait for my orders. Alright?"
"Yes, captain." He gave me a mock salute.
"Ah, screw you." I grinned at him and hit him in the shoulder.
"Ain't no tool big enough for that job," he quipped. I just laughed and headed for the bridge.

"Alright, Tracie. Take us to the shipyard in Ceo's Sprite."
"Will do, captain. Course plotted. Jump device charging at ten percent …" Ten seconds later we were in the wormhole, traversing a few thousand lightyears in mere moments. I had traveled through gates thousands of times, but they never seized to amaze me.

A few minutes later Kao and his crew were aboard the White Stripes, and I watched as the big brick slowly backed out from the shipyard before it disappeared in a bright flash. Then I told Tracie to head south. We were running low on e-cells again, and we needed a refuel to be able to make the jump to the unknown sector.

As we were leaving the shipyard a mission popped up. A courier mission, but damn what a reward. Over two point one million credits. Yeah, I could do that. A quick jump south, some docking computer magic, another quick jump north and some more docking computer magic and the bank account just went up a couple of mill plus change. It was close, but we made it. Phew. Now to head south again for that refuel …

"Oooh …"
"What, captain?" Tracie asked.
"A Falcon Sentinel for sale, the same as the one we picked up you-know-where. I'd say we'll be able to make some eight hundred grand or so off of it." I gave her a skewed smile. "Guess it's time to whip out the old repair laser again, then."

The previous owner even left me a few presents, in the form of eight IREs. They weren't worth much, but money was money. There, off to the shipyard you go. In the meantime the Magnetar and the Caiman had made it, which gave me a nice six hundred-odd grand cash injection.

A few minutes later we were all fueled up, and I ordered Tracie to take us to the unknown sector. Then the real fun would begin, as I called up the White Stripes and got Kao on the horn.
"Hey, Kao. How are things going on your end?"
"Apart from the fact that the Borons have clearly mistaken me for someone else and is eager to shoot me, just fine. You got a nice ship, by the way."
"I know. I flew her myself, before I got you guys on board."
"In other words, you haven't forgotten your old tricks either."
"Nah. Old dogs and stuff. Listen, I want you to jump to these coordinates. And before you ask; yes, there is a gate there. You'll have to override the navcom." A few commands sent the coordinates to his navcom.
"So you found the old ghost gate, eh?" I did a double take.
"Huh? How did you …? Ah, screw it. I probably don't wanna know." He just gave me a knowing grin and cut the link.

Ten seconds later the gate activated, and the White Stripes came through. Kao appeared on the screen again.
"So, where do you want us to drop this thing?"
"On the other side of the asteroid field. I have marked the position on your map."
"Put as much rock between your station and the gate as possible, eh?"
"Yep. At least that was the idea."
"Good girl." He then cut the link and started moving the White Stripes into position.

A few minutes later he was in position and started unloading the station. The solar power plant unfolded in front of my eyes like a mechanical flower at dawn, and the panels glittered in the light from the local star. It was a beautiful sight indeed. As the solar power plant did its magic I got word from the shipyard that my Falcon had made it, so I sold it for a healthy price.

"There you go." Kao said as the station finished its construction process. "It's even pointing in the right direction. Not bad for an old dog."
"Not bad at all. Good boy." I gave him a wink. Finally, phase three was under way.
"Now, let's go home. I'm tired."

----------

Asset list

Ships:
M6 Drake - "Eris"

TS Caiman - "NTC Sector Trader 4"

TM Chokaro - "Tartarus"

Stations:
XL Solar Power Plant - Unknown sector west of X534

17 274 656 credits
Last edited by Zaitsev on Fri, 24. Aug 12, 06:02, edited 4 times in total.

DiDs:
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sat, 18. Aug 12, 19:35

You have a bad link. The one about Shit Storm and More capital ships are pointing to the same picture.

Great chapter though. Why do you keep selling the good ships? Caiman's, Magnetars, FALCON SENTINELS? Are you mad, man? Yeesh. ;)

Can't wait to see where you're going.

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Sat, 18. Aug 12, 22:14

Triaxx2 wrote:You have a bad link. The one about Shit Storm and More capital ships are pointing to the same picture.
Fixed it. Thanks :)
Triaxx2 wrote:Great chapter though. Why do you keep selling the good ships? Caiman's, Magnetars, FALCON SENTINELS? Are you mad, man? Yeesh. ;)

Can't wait to see where you're going.
Again, thank you :) To take a page from your book; it's nice to know I have readers.
As for the selling of "good" ships it's a mix of needing money and having a personal preference for speed over shielding. However, after the power core in the US is up and running and I've hooked up a few missile fabs and food factories ... Who knows ;)

And yes, those who know me claim that I'm (slightly) mad :D

DiDs:
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sat, 18. Aug 12, 23:30

Ah. That explains it. I meant that you seem to have a lot of shipping that you need and the Magnetar is perfect for that. Slot in a jumpdrive and it can bounce around returning ships without you having to do it yourself. I don't like it quite as much as the Zephyrus, but it's still a solid ship.

I can understand not wanting to fly the Sentinel personally, but I know of no better capital defense craft. It can shrug off FAA rounds like nothing, and even being clipped by IBL's don't phase it. I guess you're not expecting to do the Hub plot.

And I know all about ships not docking when they're supposed to. I just lost my Pirate Kestrel when it didn't dock and I jumped without checking and some Paranid Three-eye ganked it in Sacred Relic. I shall hunt down and destroy his Paranid Military Hyperion Vanguard!!

*cough*

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Sun, 19. Aug 12, 03:14

Actually I am planning on doing the Hub plot. How come?

I also got a Chokaro that I forgot to put in the asset list, but maybe you were thinking about getting the Magnetar in addition to it? I'll also think about keeping the next Falcon Sentinel I find, mass produce it and use it as a carrier defender. Along with a bunch of Pikes, thanks to you ;)

And why destroy the 'Nid? According to the X-encyclopedia Paranids can survive up to one hour in space without a suit before they die from hypothermia, so I guess you can keep him alive for two hours by slowly roasting him over the exhaust of your engines :fg:
Just remember to turn him once in a while, so you don't burn him. I've got this idea that burnt paranid smells like burnt fly. Or ant.

*wanders off to find a 'Nid and an enormous magnifying glass*

DiDs:
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sun, 19. Aug 12, 04:09

I'm planning to shove a Brigantine somewhere terribly unpleasant.

I'm not really sure what's worse. Losing a bunch of hull to a Q, or loosing a bunch of hull to your own ships trying to.. 'help'. I had a Phoenix come up behind me and try to help destroy the Q's and hit me instead. Sheesh. Spent an hour while the MARS goblins repaired it enough to get it somewhere to finish the repairs.

On the other hand if you're looking for a fun time, wipe Xenon 472 and then sit somewhere in Argon space to the south, or Split to the north, and try to stop the migration. It's enjoyable, until you find yourself trying to fight off four Q's at once.

I just was wondering why you weren't saving a Falcon Sentinel to RE. I know I have one tucked away waiting RE as soon as I complete the Hub and PHQ plots.

I'm liking Lucike's Jump Beacon scripts more and more, even considering the necessity of the Navigator to use them. I mean, flying to the Yaki Shipyard all the way from the gate is pretty annoying, particularly if you're in a cap ship. I mean, a Pirate Kestrel is pretty quick, but when you're going 50km at a rollicking 121m/s, it's really a long, boring trip. Being able to jump 10-12km off the station is much easier. And it's no savings, so it's not a cheat.

And I do love the Pike. It's an amazing ship, and it's more than capable at the job I put it up to. I've had to add some Tenjins though, just out of the sheer necessity of needing a more potent fighter craft. And it is, it really, really is. I need a couple of weapon forges in order to arm them though. They don't seem to use PBG's so I'm going to remove those. I'll stick with PRG's and PAC's for the main guns and turrets. I think my personal one will have a more mixed load out. Pikes are still a staple though, since they are so absurdly versatile. I'm also going to add some M5's to the mix for fast mover killing. I'm torn between Jaguar Vanguards, or trying to put my hands on some Fujin Sentinels. I like the Sentinel since it has M cargo and so it can carry Wasps. I'll have to check the Marauder Shipyard it seems.

And I've completely rambled on. Sorry...

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Fri, 24. Aug 12, 06:00

I think even something as big as a Paranid might feel it if you stuff a Brigantine up his ... Uhm ... Let's not go there :p

I think being shot up by my own ships it both the best and the worst. Worst because they should know better, and best because you can keelhaul the bastard. Using a Phoenix. Without an EVA suit.

"Hey, Johnson! Can ya hold yer breath for five minutes?!" :fg:

And I might try to clean out X472 when I have something with a bit more firepower than an M6. Like a destroyer. Or two. Or three.

Hm, guess I might give the Falcon Sentinel a second chance, if GoD decide he's willing to give me another one. If not I guess I have to find one and give the pilot the choice of bailing or develop a sudden and intimate relationship with my CIGs.

I prefer Loky's Advanced Hyperdrive, partially because it just give me a "B5-moment" where all the ships are in hyperspace ready to jump in to normal space, you can almost taste the tension and you just know something big is about to go down. But it's a matter of personal taste, I guess.

I don't mind a little rambling, as long as you keep it under four pages. If you go over that limit I'm gonna track you down and spank you with a mostquito leg. Or something ;)

Enough talk. Update time!

----------

Chapter 16 - Let's light it up

Personal log: 768-05-04 - 13:23

Stars, that was good. I had slept like a rock, and the clock on my data pad said 08:34. Oh well, time to get to work I suppose. After my morning coffee.

Sipping my morning coffee I ran through the numbers of my budding … uhm … did I dare call it 'empire'? Four stations and a handful of ships? If not, it might grow into one some day. Ah, enough musing. Numbers. Right. My shield complex and traders had pulled in some three and a half million while I was asleep. Not bad, actually.

I finished my coffee, stretched my body a bit and headed for the bridge. I wanted to accumulate at least twenty eight million before I completed the power core, just to be on the safe side. It probably wouldn't cost that much, but you never know how many bumps you'll run into along the way. I had a few missiles taking up space in my cargo hold, so the first order of the day was to jump to Company Pride and get rid of them. Then it was mission hunting time.

Ask, and thou shall receive. Or something. First a taxi mission with a rather hefty reward, then I was apparently about to play dog and go fetch a ship. Woof. It was a nobrainer, since the taxi mission would take me to Ceo's Sprite and the shipyard there sold the Buzzard Vanguard this Teladi wanted. To birds with one stone, and some three and a half million in reward. Then it was just a matter of moving these folks to Ceo's Sprite, order the ship and cash in.

As the Buzzard finished I jumped north to Blue Profit, both for a refuel and to scout for possible places to put that dream farm I'd been planning. As mentioned earlier it wouldn't be a great earner, but it would provide a slow trickle and keep my Teladi rep up. Alright, four hundred e-cells in place. Let's go north then.

Moving into Greater Profit I did spot a couple of decent places. I also spotted a build mission, which meant I could pester Kao before his breakfast. He was going to love me so much for this.

"Yeah?" A slightly tired, hung over and grumpy Split growled at me from the com screen.
"You look like shit, Kao. Celebrating your new command last night, did you?"
"Thanks, and good morning to you too. What do you want this friggin' early?"
"Got a mission for you. HEPT forge in Teladi Gain. I've already sent the coordinates to you." He muttered some rather salty Split curses and cut the link, then the remote panel showed the station being loaded before the White Stripes drifted away from the station and jumped.

"I'm gonna charge you double for this one." The White Stripes had just entered the sector, and Kao was already on the horn.
"Yeah, yeah. You can get one percent of what we earn on this joker." I paused for a second, watching him considering it. "Which means your cut amounts to about two thousand credits."
"Funny." He looked dead serious for a moment, before giving me a skewed smile.
"I know," I quipped.
"Okey then, let's do this."

A few minutes later the station had unfolded nicely, and I got the Teladi on the horn telling us she was quite happy with the placement. I just smiled and took her money, knowing that her factory would starve if I didn't do something about it as the food factories in the area were strained enough as it was already. I would have to dig up another jump drive supplier, though, so my freighters wouldn't use frakkin' ages to get to their destination. Maybe the Yaki could help out? I had to check if they sold jump drives separately or if they were bundled to the ships they sold, in which case I had to get a few cheap fighters to carry them. Oh well, more work for my Chokaro then. Wonder if the station manager had another one of those up his sleeve? I had to check out that too.

The White Stripes had just jumped home and I was about to follow it when this mission popped up. Yeah, another taxi mission and another ridiculous reward. Hey, I'm not the one to complain. If people are in such a hurry they are willing to fork out millions of credits to get to where ever they're going in time I'm happy to help. The more money the better, as I needed to start thinking about building a power core for the Blue Profit complex too. That would run me another forty million or so, including adding another two shield factories. Yeah, those shields were selling like hot cakes.

Jumping to Greater Profit to drop off my passenger I spotted a cheap-ish Vulture Super Freighter for sale. It was a bit banged up but I needed something to haul energy and silicon between the mine and the power core in that unknown sector. Ah, damnit. I really needed to come up with a name for it. Anyway, I bought it and parked it at the local chip plant, which reminded me I had to take a look at Mines of Fortune to get a few chip plants rolling. Which of course needed power, food and raw materials, which meant I needed more money. Gah!

Aaanyway. Time to get things rolling, so I sent the Tartarus north from Company Pride to refuel the White Stripes. In the meantime I jumped down to Hatikvah's Faith to look for leftovers and see if I could find any more of those juicy freight scan missions. Probably not, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Nah, pretty dead here. Except for Argon patrols roaming around, but that hardly counted as 'juicy'. Now, if I could get my paws on a missile frigate and some more marines it might have qualified as juicy, but since I only had five of them and no missile frigate I would have to play nice. Not to mention that I didn't want to blow my cover just yet. And that made me think what if … Ah, bloody hell! Concentrate, Rahne!

Mission. Taxi. Family Rhonkar. Some four hundred-odd grand. Yes, please. Anything to derail my thoughts right now. Hm, strange. The chelt space aquarium they wanted me to fly to wasn't even on the map. I had just flown straight through Family Rhonkar after our navcom went down the tube, so it was probably just outside my sensor range. It could take some time to fly there, though. Better get cracking.

Oh yes. The chelt space aquarium proved to be some fifty clicks off to the east of the southern gate in Family Rhonkar. Not a huge challenge, but enough to make me check the clock from time to time. Oh well, as long as we made it in time …

And we did, pushing us close to the twenty nine million mark. I figured that was enough, so I got Kao on the horn, told him to get a crystal fab, jump to 'that' sector and take up position beside the solar power plant. This was it.

"Take us to 'our' sector," I said, turning to Tracie.
"Affirmative. Jump device charging." Ten seconds later we entered the unknown sector, where Kao and the White Stripes were already waiting.
"Get me Kao on the horn," I said as we flew closer. I just had the urge to see this up close, as it sort of felt like laying down the foundation for something way bigger than me.
"Channel open, captain." A moment later Kao appeared on the screen.
"What can I do for you, o captain?" he said in a slightly teasing voice.
"Oh, are we formal today? In that case I ask for permission to come aboard. I want to see this from the first row."
"And dictate where we should put the thing, I'm sure."
"What? Nooo … Okay, maybe a little bit." I gave him my most innocent look.
"At least you're being honest … when I twist your arm a bit." He grinned at me. "Permission granted."

I took us into transporter range and headed down to the pad. Stars, my hands were shaking.
"Be nice to her," I said to Tracie as I headed off the bridge.
"Always, captain." A blue tint filled my vision for a moment and I felt a slight tingling as the transporter basically ripped me apart at the molecular level, transformed me into an energy pattern and shot me across hard vacuum, then reconstructed me on the bridge of the White Stripes. I had done it a thousand times, but I still got kind of nervous every time I did it. But now I had other things to think about.

"Welcome aboard, captain," Kao said as he stepped forward and extended his hand. I took it, and my hand almost disappeared inside his. Yeah, he had some huge paws.
"Thanks. I think." He just gave me a knowing look and pointed me to the captain's chair.
"I'll let you do the honors this time," he said. I took a couple of deep breaths and then started positioning the station.
"There," I said, as much to myself as to anyone within earshot, as I typed in the final command. "It's done. Now we only have … five stations left." Which meant five trips back and forth, as the White Stripes' cargo bay in most cases was too small to carry more than one station at the time. One of the few disadvantages of the Elephant.

Five trips and a refuel from the Tartarus later, and the final station had been dropped and connected to the complex. To be honest it looked a bit like a rat's nest, but as long as it worked I didn't really care. Now all I had to do was to equip that Vulture SF with CLS software, hire a pilot and move it here. Which meant juggling jump drives and dealing with the … urgh … Argon. They were the only ones who sold the CLS software, and they were the only ones who had pilots trained to use it. The thought of having argons in my organization made me shudder, but if they didn't keep their mouths shut I could always toss 'em out and see how long they could hold their breath.

Another problem was that the pilots were usually green as teladi scales and could hardly find the stick without assistance. It seems to be a common problem, doesn't it … Anyway, I either had to find another freighter to ship silicon from the mine I had set up or (ab)use the Tartarus by remote until my pilot gained enough experience to handle both silicon and e-cells. I would eventually have to get another pilot anyway, but for now I wanted to keep the headaches to a minimum. To be honest it would probably be more of a headache to babysit the Tartarus, but what the heck. So, time to send the White Stripes home, transfer to the Eris and get rolling.

First I filled up the Tartarus with e-cells and sent it north, then I shuffled the e-cells aboard the Vulture and transferred the jump drive and navcom. Next I had the Vulture raid the local crystal fab to get some crystals so I could kickstart the power core. Then I ordered it to fly to Omicron Lyrae to get the CLS package and pick up a pilot, and then I could finally move it here. Stars! Headache!

"Hum …" I was watching the Vulture trundle across Omicron Lyrae when this ship caught my attention.
"Something wrong, captain?" Tracie asked.
"I don't know, to be honest. There's a ship in OmLy that is transmitting a priority signal, similar to the ones used to link mission targets to our HUD. So either this 'Exterminator' is very important, or he wants someone to come take a look."
"You thinking about being that someone, captain?"
"Nah. At least not until I can get a missile factory up and running, and since this little construction project has drained our funds almost completely it's going to take some time." We were down to a bit over six million, and according to my calculations I would need around ten million to get a basic missile loop up and running. That, and I needed to find a jump drive supplier so I didn't have to juggle my jump drives around to move stuff from one place to another. Guess it was Yaki space next then, after I had gotten my freighter up and running.

Finally the freighter made it to the equipment dock in OmLy, and I bought the CLS package and hired a pilot. She did complain about the condition of the ship and that it only had a single one megajoule shield on board, but she calmed down when I told her I was going to straighten out the dents and that she would be assigned to a safe sector with minimal traffic. It was true. Sort of. I didn't tell her about the neighbors though. I figured she would adapt or get her pants in a twist and leave, in which case I would have to inform her that her contract said the ship belonged to me and if she wanted to get out she would have to get in her suit and fly to Getsu Fune by herself. I figured she would get about half way there before she ran out of oxygen.

With our somewhat reluctant pilot on board I jumped the Vulture here by remote and got my suit ready. Teladi ships usually had a pretty thick hull, so it was going to take a while to get it back into ship shape. Jo and Aron joined me, and under the watchful eye of miss Erine Halter, the latest addition to our growing empire, we started patching up the Vulture.

"There," Jo said over the suit comlink. "That was the last bit. Now let's get back to the Eris."
"And tell queen Wha's'ername to stuff it," Aron added.
"Agreed," I shot in, cutting through the nagging from the Vulture. Yep, she had found out who our neighbors were and she was having a bit of a meltdown.
"I-didn't-know-I-had-to-work-in-the-middle-of-nowhere-with-frickin'-XENON-next-door! If-i-had-known-I-would-never-have-taken-this-assignment-Besides-the-working-conditions-are-horrible-I-hate-teladi-ships-they-are-slow-and-cumbersome-and-filthy-and-I …"
"Pipe down, or I'll vent the entire ship and kick your carcass into the local sun!" I snapped. That worked for about ten seconds, before she was back at it.
"Stars-I-knew-it-you're-probably-one-of-these-awful-pirates-we-heard-about-at-the-academy-you're-not-nice-you-should-be-nice-to-your-employees-an-if-I …"
I typed a few commands on my wrist console, setting off the decompression alarm in the Vulture. Not very nice, but it finally shut her up. Gunne's nuts, woman!

"Let's pick up the jump drive and get the hell out of here," I said to Tracie as I entered the bridge.
"Trouble with the employees, captain.?" Tracie said as she flew toward the jump drive I had ordered the Vulture to eject.
"Just a little bit. Tell her to dump the crystals at the power core, give the e-cells to the silicon mine and then keep it topped off. Then jump to Greater Profit so we can transfer the jump drive back to the Tartarus."
"Aye aye, captain."

A quick jump later and the Tartarus had gotten its jump drive back. Then it was just a matter of giving it some fuel and send it to its new home. As I followed it on the remote monitor I watched the Vulture crawl its way toward the silicon mine, and for a moment there I regretted not getting a Caiman instead. Even with a full tuneup it was still slow as snails, but it would have to do. After fussing about with the CLS software a bit I even got her to follow orders, which meant my power core was now officially up and running. Yay! And for my next trick, jump drive hunting. After the inevitable refuel, of course.

----------

Asset list

Ships:
M6 Drake - "Eris"

TS Caiman - "NTC Sector Trader 4"

TS Vulture Super Freighter - "Powe Core CLS 1"

TM Chokaro - "Tartarus"

Stations:
US Power core 1 - XL Solar Power Plant, 2 x L Crystal Fab, 2 x L Flower Farm, 2 x L Sun Oil Refinery, Unknown Sector west of X534
US Silicon mine, Unknown Sector west of X534

7 044 736 credits
Last edited by Zaitsev on Fri, 24. Aug 12, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.

DiDs:
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

Return to “Creative Universe”