[AP] PRODIGAL SON, A Rogue's Tale - Book II

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Thu, 3. May 12, 22:34

Previous Chapter / Next Chapter

Thanks Triaxx. I'm lookin' forward to workin' with H'nt again.

Falkirion, :twisted: me too.

Gosnell, sorry mate. :D

11. Talking to the TV

We got back to the Endless and I personally walked Sin right past the cell where I was holdin’ Beni. I have to confess to a certain amount of satisfaction when Sin saw the little bastard. He actually tripped over his own feet before he started tryin’ to rage and make threats. I had his arms pinned behind him and used the leverage to lift him up onto his toes.

“Shaddap,” I growled at him.

A moment later I chucked him into the very next cell and engaged the repulsor field. The stupid bastard either didn’t know what kind of cell he was in or didn’t care because he threw himself at the plexi, as if bein' locked in somehow made him a badass. He hit the field and was immediately stunned and thrown to the deck with his eyes lookin’ in different directions. It amused me greatly. I also knew that the bastard would get to sit right next to Beni, knowin’ the other man was right there, and that Beni had seen him bein‘ manhandled, without bein’ able to bully or cow the other man at all. It would drive Sin crazy.

After that I returned to the bridge with the intention of trackin’ down Toni Azara. We were briefly addressed by a pair of police disco’s wantin’ to discuss what happened when I kidnapped Beni and also the deaths at Sin's night club. I made a big deal of the law enforcement license and said that I was pursuin’ criminals from the border sectors responsible for the theft of half a billion credits. Then I gave each of them a twenty thousand credit Christmas bonus. In July. Afterward, they found everythin’ to be in order and I haven’t heard anythin’ from ’em in half a stazura.

Since then I’ve been lookin’ through Toni Azara’s finances. I’m not in the same league as Alex Murray or Legion when it comes to siftin’ through intelligence, but between myself, Gin, and Seldon, who is an extremely well trained hacker, we were able to access Argon Prime’s public records and track down Toni’s accounts, property and holdin’s, which I have to confess were of great personal interest to me. Like his cousin, Toni had recently done very well for himself. All of his businesses have recently been so successful that he’s been able to afford two new vacation homes complete with brand new, top-of-the-line transports for himself and his family, an entire portfolio of fortune five hundred stocks, and has even begun construction on a brand new and very expensive resort on an island near New Morocco.

It wasn’t until Gin put a hand on my arm, gettin’ me to look at my fist tremblin’ on the table, that I realized how angry I was. Between the Terrans and the gangsters I feel like I’ve been raped, robbed, stripped and left for dead. These gangsters, and later the bloody Terrans too, are gonna pay for what they took from me. I believe the cost is gonna be measured in lives.

Toni Azara was sitting at his dining room table. He was eating dinner with his wife and children. He was laughing as his youngest son described learning to play gravity ball. Then the television in the living room suddenly flickered to life and everyone in the room stopped talking to look at the monitor. It was a black and white feed showing a guy walking around in a small, uncomfortable room with industrial danger markings on the floor and around the two pressure doors.

The guy in the video was in rough shape. He had blood on his face and seemed to be favoring his left side. He was also very upset. Toni had seen lots of guys look like that throughout his life. Guys tended to look like that when everything that really mattered was on the line. Sometimes it was their reputations. Other times it was their money. But most of the time guys looked like that when it was their lives in the clinch and for one reason or another they had become powerless to change what was about to happen.

There was something about the scene Toni didn't like. For one thing the room looked a little like a military loading dock but there were differences he couldn't work out. Like why there were pressure doors on both sides of such a little room. The other thing was the guy. The image wasn't the best quality, being black and white and grainy, but something about the guy seemed real familiar.

"Isn't that uncle Sin?" It was his daughter Emily. "He looks hurt." She turned to him. "Where is he, Papa?"

Toni got to his feet and started crossing the room to look at the monitor. He was a big guy so it happened kind of slowly. While he was moving he saw that his daughter was right. The guy on the screen was Sin. That realization made him feel cold and start to sweat at the same time. He knew what this was, and it was bad.

"Natalie," he said to his wife, "get the kids outta here. Go in the back and turn on some music. Make it loud." Behind him he heard his wife gathering up the babies and taking them away. On screen he watched his cousin slap his forehead with the heels of both hands and shake as if he was screaming. Then a voice came out of the feed.

"Toni Azara," the voice said, and there was something about it that made Toni think of falling onto broken glass. “How you doin’, Toni?”

"Who the frak are you?” Toni bellowed at the television. “How are you doin’ this? And what the frak are you doin’ wit’ my cousin?!”

The image on screen flickered and the picture of Sin disappeared. In its place was a feed from a desktop cam. It was low and fish eyed and showed a guy sitting in a booth filled with machinery and blinking lights. The guy actually looked harder than he sounded. There was a patch over his left eye and Toni was pretty sure he should know him. The guy leaned in to fix his one eye on the camera. “Damn Toni,” the guy growled. “You got fat.”

“Who the frak are you?!”

“Toni!” the guy said, leaning back with a smile. It showed too many teeth, that smile. “You wound me, Toni! You don’t recognize your buddy? Your pal? Your old friend? Didn’t you used to call me your favorite knockaround guy?”

“Oh shit,” Toni felt like he’d just fallen into a pool of ice water. “Drake.”

There you go! See, you do remember me. You were startin’ to hurt my feelin’s, pal. Buddy.” The smile vanished. “Friend.”

“They told me you were dead.”

“Yeah well,” Drake shrugged. “They told you wrong.”

“What the frak do you want?! You frakkin’ hurt my cousin and I will frakkin’ KILL you!” Toni roared. “Do you understand me?! I’m gonna frakkin’ KILL you...!!”

Drake smiled at him. It was an evil, knowing smile and robbed Toni of all his bluster. “Just let me know when you’re done,” Drake growled, soft and threatening. He was showing all those teeth. There was something terrifying about all those teeth.

“What the frak do you want?”

“What do I want?!” The civil facade slipped. That one eye seemed to blaze and Drake leaned in toward the camera with bared teeth, only he wasn’t smiling anymore. Before he realized what he was doing Toni took a step back. That was when the smile came back.

“If you hurt my cousin,” Toni shouted again. “I will personally ...!”

“What?” Drake cut him off and once again Toni felt his words dry up. “What are you gonna do?” That one eye was so intense. Looking at it was a bit like looking at the sun. It hurt somehow. Drake reached out and took hold of the camera. To Toni it felt a little like the guy had reached out and grabbed his face. When Drake took his hand away the camera was pointing at a big red button that was normally under a locked plastic cover. But there was key just below it and the cover had been flipped back. Toni still didn’t understand what he was looking at, but he had a sick feeling in his guts. “That,” Drake said, “is the button that will open the outer doors to the airlock where your cousin is currently screamin’ and punchin’ himself in the face.”

“You son of a bitch! If you ...”

The camera turned again and Drake was staring him dead in the eye. “You asked me what I want, Toni? The fact that you don’t know already concerns me. Are you sure you’re healthy? You don’t have a brain tumor or somethin’ do ya?”

“You’re not gettin’ that money,” Toni said. “You’re not! You killed my guy and stole that ship. All I did was take back what was mine! Do you hear me?! You are NEVER gettin’ that frakkin’ money! DO YOU FRAKKIN HEAR ME?!”

“Is that you’re final answer?” Drake actually seemed to purr as he asked the question. The camera pitched back to the button. Drake’s hand appeared from the side of the screen and a finger started tapping the button. “Sure you don’t want to run it by Uncle Sal first, Toni? My guess is his answer might differ from yours somewhat ...” The camera pitched back to Drake’s face. That one eye seemed to be looking right into Toni’s soul. “... especially if you failed to cut him in.”

Toni couldn’t seem to breathe. His heart was pounding in his ears and he felt like he was going to puke. “If you ...!”

“Enough.” Drake growled. “I’m tired of listenin’ to you. So let me tell you how it is, Toni, because you’re obviously too stupid to figure this out on your own. You are gonna go see your uncle. You are gonna tell Sal that I have his boy in an airlock three hundred kilometers above the surface of Argon Prime. You are gonna tell him that if I don’t get my money back I’m gonna let Sin try flyin’ his way back home. You get me?”

“I swear to God and all that’s holy if you ...”

“Shut you’re hole,” Drake growled at him. “I’m not finished.”

Toni shut his mouth. He couldn’t believe it but he did. When the hell had skinny little Drake gotten so frakkin’ scary?

After,” Drake shook a finger at him, “I vent your cousin out into space I am gonna start shovin’ nuclear bombs down your throat. You know those pretty little villas you're buildin on that island east of New Morocco? Yeah. I’m gonna nuke 'em. That monstrous palace with all the columns in the hills above the delta? Yeah. I’m gonna nuke that too. That house you’re standin’ in right now with you’re wife and kids in the back room?! Yeah. I’m gonna turn it into a glass parkin’ lot!”

“Frak you! You don‘t got any ...!”

“Toni you’re a moron,” Drake cut him off. “You couldn’t think your way out of a paper bag if you’re life depended on it and right now it does. So don’t hurt yourself tryin’ to figure out if I’m bluffin’ or not and you just take your fat ass to your uncle’s house and tell Sal what I said. You hear me? You tell your uncle that I want my money back. After you talk with the old man I’ll call you back.”

“How the frak will you know when I talk to ...?”

The feed cut out. Drake disappeared and there was nothing but white noise and snow.

Toni felt like his heart was gonna beat its way right out of his chest. “Frak me.”

I currently have three hammer heavy torpedoes and one firestorm, not to mention a couple of Beluga missiles and twenty three Tornadoes. At the very least I was confident that I could back up my threats. I do hate to bluff. Gil always said bluffin’ was a bad posture to take. All it took was somebody callin’ you once and you’d lose credibility forever.

I looked up at Sin, still pacin’ his way around my airlock. He saw me and I thought of that job I pulled for him after Gil left; that job where used me and four other guys as decoys to draw the security away from his target, while another crew, the real crew, went after the safe. It got two of us wounded and one guy killed. Later I realized he’d been hopin’ that we’d all get killed so he wouldn’t have to pay any of us. I stared at the guy and thought of the airlock openin’, and what his face might look like as he was vented out into space. The though put a smile on my face and I watched Sin go pale.

I'm pretty sure Sin is already a dead man. I won’t be able to say for certain until I talk to Sal and see which way the old man jumps. Salvatore Vassar was once one of the most powerful men in the Federation, even if only a very few people knew his name. He used to pull strings that had influenced votes in parliament, created and destroyed businesses, and dictated the movement of billions of credits. He’s been semi-retired for jazura but even so, Sal isn’t the kind of man you want for an enemy. I’ll need to be careful.

Very careful.
Last edited by Scion Drakhar on Fri, 16. Jul 21, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
A Pirate's Story.pdf(KIA) by _Zap _ From Nothing.PDF(complete) by _Zap _ Prodigal Son(active) Original Thread, Prodigal Son_PDF

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Thu, 3. May 12, 23:51

\o/

If I were Toni I think I'd be very careful about my next move ;) God knows I wouldn't want Drake breathing down my neck and threatening me and mine when he's havin' a bad day.

Mind you, I wouldn't be fool enough to try an' steal from him in the first place :D

Falkirion
x3tc

Post by Falkirion » Fri, 4. May 12, 01:42

So you'll be careful by tactically nuking Sal's influence centers? I know I would.

Great new entry Scion. Looking forward to the next one.

Gosnell
x4

Post by Gosnell » Fri, 4. May 12, 02:30

Why not nuke Sal,Cut the head of the snake off,and then as his Lieutenents fight amongst themselves , rip apart his empire piecemeal.

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Fri, 4. May 12, 03:24

I suspect Drake would take some enjoyment from that, but then how would he get back his 500 million? :p

Darshu
x3

Post by Darshu » Fri, 4. May 12, 05:30

FIRE EVERYTHING!!

:lol:

Olterin
xr

Post by Olterin » Fri, 4. May 12, 07:37

I see Drake is taking the "nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure" approach very, very seriously :lol:

Great chapter Scion, looking forward to more (this one saved my day :D)

edit: for now, the story of Mal and Tasha will continue here
Last edited by Olterin on Fri, 4. May 12, 09:07, edited 1 time in total.
"Do or do not, there is no try"
"My Other Overwhelming Mixed Assault Fleet is a Brigantine" -Seleucius, commenting on my ship naming scheme

Nathancros

Post by Nathancros » Fri, 4. May 12, 08:48

eyyyyyyyyyy there soz bout vanishing,

Scion ya story is going GREAT

seems drake is still going by his new life motto
"Nukes and emotional instabilty solves all lifes problems"

ahah remember that? :P

if u want gabriel/lucifer back i has a wierd... idea. floating through my head, i'd love to get back in with the story :D

up to you mate, PM me if u wanna hear the idea :D

Ok later mate

WINGNUT AWAAAY
*trips over*

OW!
Nullam et arcu vitae magna instabilitate omnia solvit

Am a recovering Addict of the CREATIVE FORUM.

Long live X3

Neeros
x3tc

Post by Neeros » Fri, 4. May 12, 13:46

I finally got caught up on Part 1 and your current story! So awesome. It is making me want to scrap my current game for another pirate game. :P

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Fri, 4. May 12, 14:09

:lol: Yeah, SD's stories should come with a warning: 'May cause tendencies towards illegal behavior' :D

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Fri, 4. May 12, 22:11

Glad to see I'm still contributing to your corruption. :twisted:

Heh heh heh.

12. The Old Man

"Sal!" The bellowing was coming from the front of the house, near the main door. "Uncle Sal! I gotta talk to you, Sally!"

"Oh, frak me," Salvatore Vassar exhaled over his cigar. His wife was thirty jazura younger than he was. She was beautiful, curvaceous and at that moment bent over a flower bed tending to her roses. Sal had been smoking a cigar and admiring the view. At the sound of his nephew, though, he started losing all of his appetites. Linda, his wife, looked up as he cursed and then glanced at the house.

"Sally!" the bellowing continued. "Uncle Sal! Will you tell these guys to let me in?! I have to talk to you!"

Linda rolled her eyes and shook her head. Then she looked at him again and winked before turning back to her gardening. Sal exhaled and glanced at his bodyguard, Vincent. He rolled his eyes and then nodded, curling his fingers in a gesture that said, 'come on.' Vincent nodded, having trouble keeping the smirk off his face, and disappeared into the house. A moment later his nephew came through the back door like a charging bull and stumbled out onto the lawn. He was covered in sweat and his eyes and mouth were wide open.

"Uncle Sal! Uncle Sally!!" Toni charged him and came to a shifting, uncomfortable halt directly above Sal's lawn chair. "I gotta talk to you! I gotta talk...!"

"Sto-op!" Sal said, holding his hand up to shield himself. "God! You look like a fat kid chasin’ an ice cream truck! Sit down and stop drippin’ on me!" He pointed at the other lawn chair. "You're making me uncomfortable."

"Y-yeah, Sally. Sorry Sally." Toni sat down as Sal used a towel to wipe his face and arm. When he was done he glanced at Toni, not bothering to keep the distaste out of his expression.

"Well?" Sal asked, more than a little impatient. "What is it?"

"Drake," Toni panted. "It's Drake! And Sally? He's got Sin! He's got Sin, Sally!"

"Drake," Sal’s eyes narrowed as he echoed his nephew.

"Yeah, Sally." Toni’s second chin shook as he sat there staring at him. Sal already felt like slapping him.

“Who the hell is Drake?

“You know, Sally. That kid Gil Jerigan took in. He used to do some work for us.”

It took Sal a moment. Then he looked at Toni again. “The skinny little kid with the blonde hair?”

“Yeah-yeah, that’s him.”

“What do you mean he has Sin?”

“He’s got him, Sally! He’s got him in an airlock up in space! Says ...” Toni’s eyes grew so wide Sal could see the whites all around them.

Sal waited, refusing to lose control. Toni turned and looked at Linda then back to him. “Linda,” Sal said and she looked up at him as if she hadn‘t been listening the whole time. “Go inside, honey.” She sniffed pointedly but did as she was told. She’d make him pay for it later. He looked back at his sister’s idiot son. Toni just stared at him. “Well?” Sal demanded. “What did he say?”

“H-he says that if he doesn’t get his money b-back, he’s gonna kill Sin.”

Sal stared at his nephew, waiting for more, but Toni just continued to stare at him. “What money?!” Sal snapped. “Did you steal from this kid?”

“I wouldn’t call it stealin’!” Toni evaded. “He owed me. He stole from me so I took what was mine!”

Sal lifted a finger and pointed it at Toni’s face. “Toni, If I have to drag this out of you one word at a time I’m gonna have Vincent beat you to death! How much are we talkin’ about here?”

Toni just stared at him, looking like a little kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

“HOW MUCH?! YOU FAT FRAK!! HOW MUCH MONEY DID YOU STEAL?!”

“F-five hundred million,” Toni admitted.

“MILLION?!” Sal didn’t remember getting up but somehow he was on his feet. Toni was cringing in front of him. “Did you just say five hundred MILLION credits?!”

Toni’s lower chin was jiggling as he nodded.

Sal took a breath and stepped back. His hands were shaking and he didn’t trust himself to stand close enough to hit his nephew. He thought that if he did he might not stop until the boy was dead. He turned away and looked out over the islands in the bay to the south. He was missing something important here, something his moron nephew was too afraid to tell him. It didn’t make any sense.

“Toni?” he asked softly. “How did Drake Jerigan have five hundred million credits?”

“I dunno, Sally ...”

Whack! Sal didn’t even remember moving but in an instant Toni was crouched in front of him, covering his head with his arms. The back of Sal’s hand was stinging. “Don’t play games with me, boy,” Sal barely breathed the words and he forced himself to step back again.

Toni looked out from under his arm and trembled, that second chin lookin’ like a sack of jello hanging from his jaw. “They-they call him the ...” Toni took a couple of breaths working his nerve up. “They call him the ‘pirate prince.’ He was the leader of the Phantoms before the Terrans hit 'em.”

Sal felt like he’d just been doused with a bucket of ice water. He’d heard of the man, and the pirates he lead. The reporters had started calling them phantoms because they were like ghosts in deep space, appearing to capture a ship, and then vanishing. The official estimates were that they were responsible for the disappearance of over twenty heavy transports and perhaps as many as ten warships. There were other reports, though. Follow up reports claiming that the initial estimates only accounted for Argon and Boron ships and that the actual number was likely much higher. It was known that the group had annexed a sector in between Montalaar and New Income and that they’d been manufacturing weapons. That they’d grown so large that the Terrans had treated the group as a threat and moved against them. After that reports got sketchy. Some of the wilder claims suggested that these Phantoms had actually attacked the Terrans in the Sol system. It was hard to credit but Sal had seen footage of that monstrous Terran destroyer they'd parked above the trade lane in Avarice. It had reminded him of people putting the heads of their enemies on spikes.

“You’re telling me,” Sal said in a whisper, “that skinny little Drake Jerigan is the man that’s been calling the shots for the most dangerous mercenary organization since the Yaki?”

Toni just stared at him.

“And you ...” Sal was starting to feel a little dizzy. “... you went and stole five hundred million credits from this man?”

“Sally he stole from me ...”

Whack!

What did he steal from you?! What did he steal from you that was worth the trouble you just brought down on this family?!”

“He killed one of my guys! He stole some a my product and the ship my guy was flyin’! What was I supposed to do? Just let him get away with it?”

Sal‘s voice was like a cold wind in his mouth. “You were supposed to make sure he was dead.”

“But I thought he was! They told me he was!”

“Who told you he was? When?”

“What? I dunno. My people. Like two weeks ago ...”

Sal actually trembled with the urge to cave his nephew’s skull in. “Two weeks?” He said breathlessly.

“Yeah,” Toni said, as if it was perfectly reasonable.

“You waited two weeks to make sure the man was dead?”

"How was I gonna make sure he was dead?!” Toni demanded. “It's not like there was a body lyin' around to ...!"

Sal couldn’t help himself. One moment he was staring at Toni in a state of shock. The next he was repeatedly slapping his nephew in the face and head, driving his fist into the meat of the boy’s shoulders trying to get to his face to keep beating him. After a moment he realized he was screaming. “YOU STUPID, FAT FRAK! YOU FRAKKING MORON! WE SHOULD HAVE DROWNED YOU AT BIRTH! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU!?” When he turned around he realized he meant to dig a brick out of a garden wall to beat his nephew to death with it and instead walked away with his palms on his temples.

He walked to the outer wall of the garden and stared out at the bay. "Two weeks," he said in awe. "TWO WEEKS!” He shouted at the sky. Then whirled on his nephew again, thrusting a finger out in front of him like a dagger. “You stupid, greedy, brain dead MORON! You want to make sure he's dead?! You sit and WATCH THE MONEY! For as long as it takes! You make sure!”

He shook his head and thought about that ATF Destroyer sitting over the Avarice trade lane. The kid had been a nothing, a nobody, just a couple jazura ago, and yet he'd somehow managed to accumulate enough money, people and military assets to annex a sector and challenge both the Split and the Terrans. Sal shook his head again. He had met men like that in his life. Men for whom nothing was impossible. They were almost always charismatic, forceful leaders capable of inspiring or even coercing loyalty in their followers. They were often, but not always, intelligent. From what he'd heard of these Phantoms, though, and what he remembered of Gil Jerigan he suspected this Drake was. He wished he could remember more of the man, but all his memories provided were images of a quiet, skinny boy tagging along after Jerigan. But that was bad enough. Gil Jerigan was intelligent. The man wasn’t just shrewd, he was organized, meticulous, and a tactical genius. And for all intents and purposes this Drake had been the man’s apprentice.

Sal covered his mouth and stared at the ocean. It was a beautiful day. A brilliant turquoise sky reflected in the shining waters. A gentle breeze caressed the hills. Small white clouds eased across the far horizon. There were yachts and sailboats lazily making their way across the bay and a seaplane flyin’ low out over the water. He had hoped he would die peacefully on a day like this one. He’d never die peacefully if his son died before him.

“Toni?”

“Y-yeah, Sally?” The boy was terrified.

“Did Sin know about this?”

“Yeah! Yeah, it was his idea! Drake used Beni to set up his accounts and all we did was have Beni ...”

Sal waved him to silence. "That's how he opened that new nightclub." It wasn't a question.

"Yeah," Toni confirmed it anyway.

Sal closed his eyes. He lifted a hand to his forehead and started rubbing his temples. "How much is left?"

"Sally?"

"How much of the money is left, you frakking moron?” Sin whirled on the boy again. “What?! Do I have to spell it out for you?! How? Much? Of? The money? Is left?"

Toni‘s eyes were as wide as they could go. "N-nuthin', Sally. None of it."

"You stole five hundred million credits and you have nothin' left?" Sal was reeling. The world no longer felt real.

"Well, it’s property, now. It’s houses and a resort and the nightclub. It’s stocks and investments and ... you know ... it's in the business, Sally. It's all over the place."

"So you couldn't give it back to him even if you wanted to?"

“No,“ Toni said. “Not really. It would take months to get all that cash together again.“ Toni laughed like there was something funny. “Hell I don’t know what the guy was thinking keepin’ it all in one account ...”

Sal took a couple steps toward his nephew again. He really did want to kill the fool. “He was thinking it was his,” Sal said, and his tone was cold, “to do with as he liked.”

“Yeah but Sally, come on! I mean ...”

Slap! Toni had his hand on his face again and was cringing away from him. Sal shook his finger in the boy's face. "Do you have any idea what you've done? By stealing from this man ..."

"I didn't steal nothin, Sal ..."

Slap!

"Stop talkin' to me like I'm as stupid as you are."

Toni just stared at him with wide eyes, an open mouth, and a hand on either cheek.

"What do you think is going on here? You frakkin’ idiot! Do you think this guy is just gonna go away if you tell him you took his half a billion credits as compensation for your chump change drug deal? Do you think he’s just gonna tell you 'it’s alright,' 'it's okay,' if you say you're sorry?!" Toni just continued to stare at him. Sal shook his head in disgust and looked back out across the ocean.

He had a grand view from his yard. He was at the top of San Angelus hills looking out across the bay and even most of the lower islands. It was a beautiful area. It was warm but not hot and the breezes always reminded him of a lover's touch. He sighed heavily.

“Well ... he actually told me ... what he’s gonna do...”

Sal took a deep breath to keep his hands still and massaged the corners of his eyes. After a moment he groaned. “Would you like to share or do you want me to guess?

“Aah ... h-he said that if he doesn’t get his money he’s gonna open the airlock Sin’s in and let him ... aah ... try and fly home.”

Sal nodded. He’d been expecting that. “What else?”

“Well the rest was bull. I mean...”

“Toni the next time I hit you I’m gonna use a brick! Now tell me what the man said to you.” He turned around and thrust a finger at him. “Don’t think! Just talk.”

“He said he was gonna nuke us.”

Sal shuddered and looked away.

“What?! Hey, Sally! He’s bluffin’! He’s got to be bluffin!”

“Toni,” Sal said, "you‘re a moron."

“How the hell is he gonna get his hands on a nuke, Sally?” Toni scoffed. “Come on! He can’t ...”

Sal shut him up with a look. “The man was building them just two weeks ago! He traded with OTAS! He built all kinds of weapons! Toni! Don’t you understand? You could not have picked a worse enemy than this man if you had done it on purpose!

“Skinny little Drake?”

Sal just winced and looked away. "When's he supposed to contact you?"

"I dunno," Toni said. "He said he'd call after I talked with you."

Toni's pocket started ringing. As the ringing continued it started to grate on Sal's nerves. He sighed and turned back around to glare at his nephew. Toni just stared back at him with his mouth open.

"Well?!" Sal demanded.

"What?" Toni shrugged.

"Are you gonna get that?!"

"Get what?"

Again Sal trembled with the need to kill the imbecile in front of him. "Are you gonna answer that frakking call?!" Sal felt his blood pressure rising again.

"I don't have a phone," Toni said defensively.

"Well, then you're pants are ringing!" Toni just continued to stare at him. "Oh my god! Are you gonna see who that is or do I have to come over there and do it for you?!"

Toni blinked and looked down. Then he leaned back to fish the ringing phone out of his pocket. When he held it up the expression on his face could have been straight out of a cartoon. He looked at Sal and opened his mouth to say that it wasn't his.

Sal opened his hand. "Give it to me." Toni put the phone in his hand. Sal glanced down at it and then flipped it open. "Yeah?"

"Salvatore Vassar," the voice was rough and gravelly but pronounced his name correctly. "Sally the Gem. Sally the Scale. Sally the Blade. You know I've always been curious about how you earned that one.”

"Come on over and I'll show ya," Sal offered.

"You know you have another name that I’m even more curious about."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah. Tell me Sally, why do they call you 'the snitch?'"

"You must be Drake," Sal said.

"Yeah. I guess I must be," the voice said.

"I remember you. You were that skinny little brat that was always followin' Snake Eye around. Him and Hayla took you in after your mama OD'd on morphas, right? That was too bad. I remember your ma. She was such a beautiful girl. Once. Back before Leo started usin' her as a punching bag anyway."

"I'll have to take your word for it. In all of my memories she was already a junkie."

“Yeah,“ Sal said in mock commiseration, “addiction is a terrible thing.“

There was silence on the line for a long, uncomfortable moment.

"You know,” Sal said, “as much as I love the sound a heavy breathin' I can't help wonderin' if this conversation might be going somewhere?"

"You know the score, Sal. I've got your kid. I want my money. It can be nice and clean or it can get messy."

"Is my boy okay?"

"He's screamin' at the walls inside an airlock three hundred klicks above your head." There was a pause as the guy let that sink in. "But for the moment he's healthy."

"You take good care of him, Drake. If anything happens to him you’ll get nothing you want from me. Capisce?"

"If I get my money I'll send him back to you with a hooker swingin‘ off the end of his dick. But ..." and the word was growl. It sounded like crushed stone. "... if I don't get my money..."

"You don't want to be threatening me, Drake."

“You know what, Sally? Once upon a time you woulda’ scared me. But we’re a little past that, aren’t we? I mean you know who I am. You know what I will do if what is mine is not returned to me. So you tell me where we go from here.”

“I’m gonna need some time.”

“How much?”

“I don’t know yet. That’s a lot of dough. How do I get in touch with you?”

“Keep this phone on you. I’ll call you...”

“Drake?”

There was a pause. Then, “Yeah?”

“You take care of my son, Drake. You keep him safe.” Drake didn’t reply. A moment later the line became nothing but white noise. Sal closed the thing and put it in his pocket.

“What are we gonna do?” Toni asked.

Sal shook his head. He was thinking of that ATF Tyr again. And heads on spikes.
Last edited by Scion Drakhar on Fri, 16. Jul 21, 15:35, edited 4 times in total.

Knucles2
x2

Post by Knucles2 » Fri, 4. May 12, 23:18

Wow.

I think this story is going to top your other one Sci. I never even considered there'd be "wise guys" in the X Universe :D

Ok, back to lurkin' n' waitin' for the next chapter...

Just, whatever you do...Don't Get Kilt!!!! ( Yes, I spelled Killed that way on purpose- I was channeling Sal :D )
X2-The threat, $20
A new gfx card to play X2- the Threat, $100
Having a wife so addicted to GTA/SA she doesn't care how much time I play X2-The threat, Priceless!

:D

Gosnell
x4

Post by Gosnell » Sat, 5. May 12, 00:09

Thank god you posted at a reasonable hour this time :wink:
Do you mind me asking have you written all this in advance,or on the day?

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Sat, 5. May 12, 02:39

GOSNELL wrote:Do you mind me asking have you written all this in advance,or on the day?
I don't mind at all. Little of the one but more of the other. I had some of the story written as early as the first post but most of it I've been writing as I go. All of the gameplay is recorded either during or after I'm done. The fiction is harder. Creative writing is much harder and more time consuming than writing up after action reports.
A Pirate's Story.pdf(KIA) by _Zap _ From Nothing.PDF(complete) by _Zap _ Prodigal Son(active) Original Thread, Prodigal Son_PDF

Neeros
x3tc

Post by Neeros » Sat, 5. May 12, 07:07

Epic update. :)

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sat, 5. May 12, 12:03

Try not to think too hard on it SD. Sometimes that's the worst way to write well. Believe me, I know.

---

It would be impossible for Salvatore Vassar to know, given the almost infinitesimally small connection between them, but H'nt c'Pu was also thinking about heads on spikes. In his case however, it wasn't nearly as metaphorical an idea, though the spike in his face was definitely a metaphor for something. Admittedly, Ea't was possibly the only person in the universe dumb enough to suggest to Vo'l'nt Goto that her captaining a Tiger was in fact compensating for something she lacked. On the other hand, he was possibly the only person in the universe likely to survive such an observation, so it balanced itself out.

H'nt had no such feeling of confidence, as lead Ea't to succeed at such acts of insane bravado, nor the utterly unshakeable acceptance of victory being a foregone conclusion, that meant he could defeat the sort of impossible odds he caused with those self same acts. Indeed, in most societies, Ea't would be somewhat heavily medicated.

In his studies of Earth and Terran culture, conducted on the advice of an ancient Terran, to 'Know your enemy', something the Split didn't bother much about, preferring to simply 'kill your enemy and move on to the next', he had discovered a term that seemed to fit Ea't as if it had been created in the past, just so it could be applied in the now, specifically to him.

Berserker. A warrior who entered battle and entered a state of battle-driven blood-lust who was all but unstoppable once started. Ea't had laughed in his usual way boisterously, and agreed that it fit him perfectly. He'd then had a plaque commissioned to hang on the Captain's chair of the Osan'Gar. It joined several others with his other titles.

All of this flashed through H'nt's mind as his Kestrel raced towards Vo'l'nt's ship. The Sword of Rhonkar was the latest model of Tiger. Vo'l'nt was as different from Ea't as H'nt himself. Where Ea't is a brute force warrior, relying on speed and sheer power to achieve his objectives, Vo'l'nt is a master of using skill and finesse to make the her opponent do him or herself in.

Many are surprised to learn that the pair are both Master Duelists. Those who bear witness to their contests often wonder if he's even received training. Ea't chose to learn Chi'drath'anian a Jatra form emphasizing power and speed in close quarters. To an untrained eye, it appears to be little more than a knife brawl.

Vo'l'nt instead decided on Ald'et'dithen, a form emphasizing grace, and influence and deception. And using the opponents own motion. From a distance it looks to be a blend of Terran Fencing and Judo.

H'nt had seen them fight several times, and each time, they'd spent a long time trying very hard, and achieving very little. Always it had come down to one or two movements that to the untrained eye would seem unimportant, or perfectly acceptable within the norms of a form. To a trained observer, or experienced one, the latter of which H'nt counted himself, they were incredibly subtle telegraphs of a series of moves played out in the head of one combatant or the other. While less experienced warriors did it subconsciously, H'nt had never seen either of his siblings do it in contest against any others. Even so, it almost invariably proved itself to be a feint.

One or the other would set a trap and try to lure the opponent into it. Usually they managed to turn the trap around. H'nt privately suspected that his brother's limp was caused by a deliberate loss to garner the information he needed.

Entering transporter range, H'nt could barely keep thinking about heads on spikes however. Vo'l'nt's walls were lined with heads, mounted on platforms designed to mimic the look of a head on a pike, while not loosing any of the interest. Wild beasts and fish from dozens of worlds decorated her residence, both aboard the massive warship and her home on Family Pride itself.

In her private studies though, she displayed the heads of vanquished sentients. Or at least holographical representations there of, for instances where the head was unrecoverable.

H'nt had no wish to join that collection, but he had no where else to turn. Drake had made many enemies, including the Split, and yet no one else had the power to protect him except the Split. H'nt was granted permission, and beamed aboard the Sword. Once aboard, he ordered the Kestrel to maintain a position relative to the Sword. He knew if she really wanted him dead, the Kestrel wouldn't last long under the flak cannons of the Tiger, but it was worth a shot.

Vo'l'nt was on the bridge and H'nt walked to the door. Outwardly he displayed none of the nervousness he felt inside. Many Split felt that fear should be controlled to be overcome, but if you couldn't control it, it was next best to let no one see it.

The door to the bridge folded open, two layers moving in opposition to one another. The two layers were slightly off-set so that the intervening space could be filled with a flammable gas, so that if an enemy combatant tried to cut through the doors, they'd ignite the gas and it would turn into an immense flamethrower. H'nt knew that because he'd helped design the same system for the Panther.

"Greetings sister." That was all H'nt said. The captains chair revolved slowly around, revealing Vo'l'nt Goto. She stood, crossed the room, then threw her arms around her brother.

"Welcome home Little Brother." she said it in a soft voice that none of the others could hear. Then she stepped back and spoke loudly. "Greetings brother."

"I seek refuge under the old codes of hearth and hospitality." H'nt spoke. It was a formal invocation of a rite of protection forged back when the clans had made war across the surface of their homelands. It was still up held legally within the Split codes of law and honor. Technically as family it was automatic, but a formal declaration would solidify it, and keep Tkr and Njy from having a leg to stand on should they realize he was a part of Drakhar Enterprises, and attempt to get reparations from him. With Vo'l'nt apart of Rhonkar's home guards, her grant of refuge would apply also to Rhonkar.

"Under the old codes of hearth and hospitality, I grant you refuge. I and my liege shall ensure that no harm comes to you lest we be already dead before." She slammed her hand over her heart. "Now, we have much to discuss. Chu'val, take the chair. Don't bother me if it's not important."

"Aye Captain." the split who took a seat in the captain's chair was surprisingly short. H'nt held back questioning if he could even see over the console. The chair rose in place so he could. H'nt followed Vo'l'nt into her office.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Darshu
x3

Post by Darshu » Sat, 5. May 12, 15:12

Is it bad that I'm hoping these low life gangster scum try to pull a fast one on Drake so that he can nuke the entire stupid bunch into their component atoms?

Falkirion
x3tc

Post by Falkirion » Sat, 5. May 12, 17:27

I don't think Sal will given what we've seen of his attitude towards his work so far. He, like Drake (at least from my perspective) will protect his own come hell or high water. So I doubt there'll be any quick ones pulled. Toni on the other hand, he'd do that. Will be interesting to see where Scion goes with the next entry.

And Scion man what a fracking update. It was absolutely riveting reading.

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Sat, 5. May 12, 19:35

Thanks guys. I will refrain from comment for the moment, just know responses like yours are why I write.

I'm loving it, Triaxx. Very good, mate. Very good.

Oh, and aah ... sorry GOSNELL. I guess it's er ... 10:15 + 5 hours ... 3AM there? Heh heh heh. :twisted:

13. Hurry up and Wait

Well, I’m on the bridge with a cup of coffee and a good wait ahead of me. Gin and Seldon are on their way back from the planet. They’d hacked into Toni’s monitor for me, planted the bug in his pocket and then tracked him to Sal’s house. Then they’d stayed close enough to relay the feed to me. It really was a brilliant idea to plant that thing on Toni. I wish I could take the credit for it but I’d never have thought to use the transporter beam to do it. I mean shit! That’s like pickin’ a man’s pocket from five kilometers away. I still can’t believe Gin was able to do it. I’m glad she’s on my side.

I wish I could be more sure about the old man. Tryin’ to guess which way he’ll jump is a bit scary. Considerin’ his history all I can come up with is that it’ll probably be where I least expect. He’s cagey, and dangerous. I’d been sure he’d know who I was, once the dots were connected for him. It makes certain things simpler. I shouldn’t have to actually demonstrate my resolve. Which is good. Even with a police license settin’ off nukes on Argon Prime could have some unpleasant repercussions. On the other hand Sal isn’t likely to underestimate me, and that isn’t so good.

I don’t expect to remain in Argon Prime for long. Not in a barely functional TL with twenty five hundred people on board anyway. Not with Sal Vassar lookin’ for ways to take his son back and maybe vent me out an airlock in the process. It’s somethin’ I might do, in his shoes. Use an anonymous civilian transport or trader to drop a jump beacon next to the target. Then jump a corvette and a missile boat in with a couple teams of good marines on board. Hmmm. That gives me an idea.

Right. I sent a message to Gunny t’Kt, who seems to have replaced Calon Bro as my head of security. I asked him to make some preparations in case we’re boarded. One of which I intend to make Sal aware of the next time I talk with him.

I’m lookin’ at the Tenjin’s navigational data. They’re still in the atmosphere. Even if they were comin’ straight back it’d still take ’em the better part of a stazura to make the trip, and they aren’t comin’ straight back. I gave Gin permission to take some time to give Seldon some instruction. It’s not generosity. I expect to be able to use fighter pilots in the future and Gin‘s one of the best I‘ve ever seen. If she feels like teachin’ I intend to let her.

Right. I do wish I had more than just the one Tenjin to defend this ship with. Of course I don’t think I’d be happy with less than a fully loaded carrier battle group complete with a few frigates, half a dozen corvettes and enough fighters to blot out the stars. Instead I’ve got a Tenjin and a TL that can’t even fire it’s own guns. I need to hire a crew. Unfortunately there was some sort of mix up with my guild ranks and the Argon military currently won’t let me.* So that’s somethin’ else I’ve gotta straighten out as soon as possible.

I’ve had that Mercury sellin’ off the Silicon and Argnu beef that we’d picked up durin’ my piracy yesterday. It seems to have finished the job and sittin’ here starin’ at it I find myself missin’ the passive income from my factories. I don’t have a factory anymore but I do have an extra large Mercury super freighter and maybe I can get it doin’ the same thing, if on a much smaller scale. Now there are some very profitable sectors in the universe for a trader to work. Unfortunately I have lots of enemies who would consider it well worth their while to destroy one of my freighters. So I think I’d like to keep my all-but-completely-defenseless ship in a sector where there aren’t a whole lot of enemies. I think I’d also like it to operate with as little oversight from me as possible. That means hirin’ a pilot who can, hopefully, think for his own damn self. So I’ve decided to send it over to Ianamus Zura for the sensors and software necessary to make it an independent trader.

Now I seem to have nothin’ to do but drink this coffee and ignore my messages.

So, the Merc got itself outfitted with best buy/sell and trade software and then I hired a pilot for it. His name is Assistant Courier Kerol Cheram and he’s young, enthusiastic, and completely without experience. Experienced traders are rarely out of work. Anyway I’ve got him trading meatsteaks in Ringo Moon where he seems to be able to stay occupied without callin’ me after every trip. Eh, we’ll see how long that lasts.

So, once I got Cheram settled in and makin’ me money Gin and Seldon were back and I went to work myself. I picked up a couple peaceful jobs in the form a some courier work for a Split and transport for a couple of Teladi, but mostly I just killed people. It pays well. I’m good at it. I seem to have developed a taste for it. But most of all each kill gets me one step closer to the point where the Argon will let me hire military personnel. Which is bloody essential.

Eventually I found myself thinkin’ about returnin’ to the pirate sectors to pick on the freight trade. I need weapons and shields and findin’ free stuff to sell is always a plus. Of course that’s when it occurred to me that with the Mercury workin’ as a trader I’d need another ship to pick up after me. Perhaps even one better suited to the job. So I started reviewin’ the freighters I stashed away on my trip back from the Maelstrom. I’ve got two Dolphins, a Mercury, and an Express. Or at least I thought I did. I can find the Dolphins and the Express but I can’t find the Merc. After checkin’ my message log it seems it was destroyed in Treasure Chest, but there’s no mention of how. So I’ve got a choice between the Dolphins and that Express I stashed in Black Hole Sun. It’s not a difficult choice. The Dolphin’s are both super freighters and thus have the ability to transport enormous quantities of cargo, but they’re unarmed and slow. So I thought I’d use the Express, but even though it has, at least potentially, a pretty good top speed it’s only got the ability to carry seven hundred and fifty units of cargo, meanin’ that if somebody dumps a couple thousand energy cells or a hold full of ore or silicon I won’t be able to pick much up at all. It’s also in terrible shape. It really is. I don’t even know if it’s worth fixin’. Either way, though, I decided I was gonna get it and the others to some shipyards for either repair or sale.

So I returned to the Endless and coordinated a rendezvous with the Dolphin that still had a jumpdrive on it. We jumped to Light of Heart and had the Dolphin jump in behind us. After strippin’ it of everythin’ that could come off it I sent the thing on to meet the other one at the shipyard. After that we jumped to Black Hole Sun to collect the Express I’d stashed at the Military Outpost. The sector was in trouble, though. The Xenon were riled up and the Pirates were busy takin’ advantage of the situation. I couldn’t blame the pirates, really. I’ve done the same once or twice. So when the Military Outpost hired me to kill the Xenon and the pirates both, it wasn’t that I did my job with hard feelin’s. I just did my job.

Once the sector was safe I brought the Express out to receive the jumpdrive I’d scavenged from the Dolphin and enough energy to get it to the shipyard in Omly. Then I led the way in the Tenjin to ensure that there was no massive battle currently ragin’ across the sector. When I was comfortable we weren’t gonna come under immediate attack I called in the other two ships, sendin’ the Express to the shipyard and the Endless to a spot above the center of the sector to park a satellite. Then I waited. The Express was in terrible shape and only capable of 18m/s at it‘s very best speed. So it really was a wait. While I waited I collected the reserve jumpdrive and tucked it away on Legion’s Mamba Sentinel. I also sent the Rapier down to collect some of the software from the Express, and even paid the 3200 credits to have the scout overhauled. So at least one of my ships is now in decent repair.

While all that was goin’ on and I was waitin’ for Rapier to be repaired and the Express to reach the shipyard I started lookin’ over what the sector had to offer. Which is when I got into a conversation with a fella named Gazz at teh equipment dock about some new software. I don’t know if he was Argon or Terran but he wasn’t flyin’ any flags so I didn’t ask. The software is called MARS Fire Control and seems to have three main functions. It’s primary job is to control a ship’s turrets to select targets they can hit and make sure they hit what they‘re aimin‘ at. With a good crew and some additional weapons it’ll even automatically swap big and slow weapons for small and fast ones if the big ones can’t hit a target, and then back again for the targets they can. Which all results in a drastically more dangerous ship. Which of course sounded good to me.

It’s secondary and tertiary jobs seemed to go hand in hand. In addition to dramatically increasin’ the threat a ship’s guns can pose to enemies MARS is designed to use all available resources to protect the ship from incomin’ missiles, includin’ the use of upgraded fighter drones which it sends out to intercept inbound missiles and further reduce the chance of any gettin’ through. He explained that through target acquisition and weapon selection MARS could create a very effective missile screen but with the drones it could extend that screen dramatically. He explained that the upgraded fighter drones, which he was callin’ “Goblins,” are upgraded with much more sophisticated AI designed to work both with the ship and with each other in real time. In addition to defendin’ the ship from missiles these Goblins will intercept and distract groups of enemies. They will also apparently lure enemies into traps by retreating when attacked and drawing their attackers either into range of the mothership’s guns or into a trap where the other Goblins can gangbang ‘em. They can also enact repairs on their mothership and even salvage cargo. Either one of which sounds extremely handy. As he was talkin’ I realized that this was what the pirate capitals in the Maelstrom had been usin’ to counter my torpedoes. So havin’ seen it in action I was impressed already. Now, without a crew to maintain the Endless’ guns the turret control is currently useless to me, but I have to admit that I was curious about the enhanced fighter drones. So I bought it and had it installed on the Endless. If it works the way he says it does just the ability to use drones to salvage cargo in hostile situations could be worth a fortune. I honestly can’t wait to see it in action.

When the Express finally docked at the shipyard I just sold it. I’m thinkin’ that I want a real freighter, maybe MARS equipped with some fighter drones to clean up after me. If it works the way that fella said it would I expect piracy to become a lot easier. But I want a ship with a decent sized cargo hold but I won’t have a Dolphin. To me flyin’ one of those is like beggin’ for a beatin’ and I just won’t do it. The other problem is that there seems to be a sudden shortage of 25mj shields in the universe. The shipyard isn’t offerin’ L variants of anythin’ and despite searchin’ my still-rather-pitiful sat net I can’t find even one for sale. Which means either gettin’ back into the good graces of either the Split and the Paranid or findin’ some to steal. I decided to think about it for a little while.

While I was thinkin’ I returned to Light of Heart, where both of my Dolphins have arrived at the shipyard. One of them has some combat software and a cargo life support system that I hadn’t noticed earlier so I sent Seldon down in the Rapier to collect ‘em. So once again I found myself waitin’.

That’s when I noticed a comm beacon for a combat pilot at one of the cahoona bakeries. The bakery was a long way to the south so I left the Endless with Gin and took the Tenjin to see if it was a job worth takin’. It was. For more than just one reason. First of all, it was for a Split. Now I’m not exactly tryin’ to beg my way back into Rhonkar’s good graces. I’m more than willin’ to continue killin’ members of Families Njy and Tkr and just as happy as ever to capture their ships ... but I also don’t exactly have a problem huntin’ down and killin’ a Boron pirate for ‘em either, and if that wins me back the ability to trade with ‘em well that’s just fine with me. One point six million credits isn’t hard to swallow either.

So I took the job. I sent a quick explanation to the Endless and then jumped to the north gate in Hatikvah’s Faith. The instant I exited the gate I flipped end for end and shot back through, headin’ north into Split territory for the first time since the Terrans destroyed my fleet and factories. On the other side of the gate I was greeted by a relatively serene sector. Everythin’ was bracketed in a calm greyish blue instead of the angry red I was half convinced would be waitin’ for me. Once again it occurred to me that Rhonkar was makin’ overtures of peace. The thought put a smile on my face. It meant that Njy and their Tkr cronies had apparently failed to convince the Patriarch to pursue and destroy me. Well, either that or it was a trap.

Either way, though, I had a job to do. Nobody was shootin’ at me and there was 1.6 million credits waitin‘ for me to kill a pirate. So I found my target nearly sixty kilometers away. He ... or she, or whatever the hell a Lar is, was sat in a Nova Raider near the west gate. As I got close enough for my sensors to start feedin’ me info I saw half a dozen pirates flyin’ with that Boron. None of ‘em were sat in anythin’ smaller’n a Scorpion. It wasn’t the kind of situation that I wanted to get any closer to than I absolutely had to. I have to admit it was intimidatin’ lookin’ at all those ships. If they’d been just scouts I wouldn’t have thought twice about it, but lookin’ at four heavies and three interceptors made me nervous.

It’s a good thing I have missiles. I scooted about fifteen klicks to the south and let the whole group go by. Then I snuck in behind ‘em, targeted that Boron and buggered it with four wasps, four silkworms and one thunderbolt. As the last missile left the tubes I fell back and banked away from the other pirates. It was a good kill. The wasps distracted the Nova’s turret and the Silkworms and Thunderbolt made it through. When the thunderbolt hit the blast radius destroyed two of the m4’s and one of the m3’s as well. While the rest were still reelin’ an entire wing of Strong Arm escort fighters launched from a passin’ TM, and a handful of military fighters crashed into ‘em from the north. Since the odds were substantially less one sided now I decided to help out and in short order most of those pirates were slag. One of ‘em was even smart enough to eject and leave me his Scorpion.

They’d also left a fair number of missiles lyin’ about so I called in the Endless, and sent her toward the center of the sector to place a satellite. Now I had a hold full of energy cells right then and was initially thinkin’ that I’d have to make a couple of trips to and from the Endless to collect all the missiles. So I was very pleased when I looked up and saw eight fighter drones from the Endless bearin’ down on the scattered crates to begin salvagin’ all the valuables in the trade lane. Before I made it back to the Endless to unload, those drones had cleaned up. I was impressed. Watchin’ ‘em in action I decided that for any piracy I intended to commit in the future I would definitely have a freighter equipped with MARS and some of those drones for cleanup.

I was then hired to protect several factories from pirates. Durin’ the course of the first one two more pilots ejected from their ships. One of them left a Falcon with 87% hull and the other a Buster Hauler with 83% hull. The second mission left no ships for me but did provide a large number of missiles for the Goblins to pick up. Again, I have to say that watchin’ those drones made me very happy. I think that was seventy thousand very well spent credits.

Anyway, there were a couple more perks compensatin’ me for these jobs. The most obvious was that the Split were once again demonstratin’ an uncharacteristic willingness to forgive and forget, despite our past differences, although they still won’t sell me anythin’. I guess I still have a long way to go before they’re willin’ to risk puttin’ weapons and shields and turbo boosters and, heh, the transport beam extensions for boardin’ ops in my hands. I guess they’re still wonderin’ if I’ll turn the things they sell me back on them. I can’t blame ‘em, although it is inconvenient. But the other perk makes up for it. After all the killin’ I’ve done today I seem to have earned my way to the fight rank of r17, Fighter Chief, which will ... finally ... allow me to start hirin’ a crew for the Endless. So after the sector was cleaned up and all the fighters had been collected, the Endless and I jumped to Aladna Hill to dock at the Military Outpost and await the military transports carryin’ the personnel I need so badly.

So here I am, waitin’ again. It seems to be the theme a the day.
Last edited by Scion Drakhar on Fri, 16. Jul 21, 15:36, edited 2 times in total.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sun, 6. May 12, 05:55

Don't forget that any ship which docks fighters, like the Endless can also have it's goblins retrieve ships. That will further simplify piracy by bringing those ships closer together to be taken over.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Return to “Creative Universe”