Image sizes - Creative Universe only

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

Image sizes for the Creative Universe Forum

Poll ended at Sun, 7. Mar 04, 00:49

Keep them at less than 50kb and let me load them quick
12%
Let them go up to 250kb per pic and let me see the real deal
88%

Total votes: 25

The_Abyss
x3

Image sizes - Creative Universe only

Post by The_Abyss » Fri, 5. Mar 04, 00:49

For those that don't know, we have a limit on pictures being displayed on the Egosoft forums of 50kb to be considerate to the slower bandwidth members here.

However, whilst that will continue for the other forums, there is a lot of good artwork here on this forum. It would be nice to see the creative pictures in their full glory here on this forum rather than clicking a link.

So, I give you the choice:

Stay at 50kb or under, and be friendly to dial-up members

or

Up the limit here only to 250kb per pic and view images in their full glory

Tell us what you want - 48 hour poll only :)
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

The_Rock
x2

Post by The_Rock » Fri, 5. Mar 04, 00:50

Real Deal. :)

or for some Raw Deal. :o
"How very touching his meaningless death was. But this fight was never for mortals".

RustiSwordz
x2

Post by RustiSwordz » Fri, 5. Mar 04, 00:52

Im on dial up and to be honest despite my B'with problems i always opt for the quality file option, to be honest even with PS 7.0 i lose a lot of resolution at high compession low file size.
RustiSwordz Art Blog:

http://rustiswordz.blogspot.com/

Delirium
x2

Post by Delirium » Fri, 5. Mar 04, 00:58

I always opt for the Full fat, Maximum.. hardest, best.. nicest option first.. then downgrade when I hurt myself, my PC, etc :P

Argonaught.
x4

Post by Argonaught. » Fri, 5. Mar 04, 01:17

It's got to be the big versions. :wink: :thumb_up:
[MOD]X3TC No Fog / [MOD]X3AP No Fog / [MD]X3TC Menagerie Shipyard / [MD]X3AP Menagerie Shipyard
<==<<Argonaught>>==>

XBTF>XT>X2TT>X3R>X3TC>X3AP>X4F

I lurk alot for the most part now
:thumb_up:

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Fri, 5. Mar 04, 01:52

small or as a trade-in can we reduce signature images to 10kb or less? If I am not at work it tends to be a nightmare to browse and I don't even consider looking at graphics threads.

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Fri, 5. Mar 04, 01:57

KiwiNZ wrote:small or as a trade-in can we reduce signature images to 10kb or less? If I am not at work it tends to be a nightmare to browse and I don't even consider looking at graphics threads.
Signatures are set at 50kb or less for sigs and avatars combined - we can't change this for one forum and not for all the others. So the 'default' setting for users has to be taken out of the equation here.

Of course, whilst we can put up with signatures and avatars, it would be polite for users to post something like the size and "IMG" in their title when posting a large image for the sake of dialup users.

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Fri, 5. Mar 04, 02:07

you are right. It took ages to load this thread but now I blocked most sig images and it is fast. So I guess I have to get off my bum and start blocking manually as that should speed up general browsing, too. :thumb_up:

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 5. Mar 04, 11:08

Why not just switch off signature images in your profile under "Always show these images"?

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Fri, 5. Mar 04, 11:24

I prefer higher definition piccy's. Only on a 56k modem at home so my only request would be that people mention in the thread title the image size and number of images before I open the thread.

Gives me a chance to put the kettle on and make a cuppa tea. :wink:

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Fri, 5. Mar 04, 14:49

50k filesize limitation is akin to forcing the writers to post no more than 1 page of A4 worth at a time, may keep the posts short but ultimately is a huge handicap creatively.

however having said that It isn't impossible to post a thumbnail version here (ie sub 50k) linked to a off forum ubber res version as I have always done anyway. but seing as this is a creativity forum then I can't see any reason why the rstrictions should remain in place if someone clicks a thread on this forum then expect loading times, simple as that.

Image width restrictions I feel are far far more important than filesize, always has been, (I'd say 800 pixels wide is a good size ie to prevent having to scroll sideways for 3 days just to read a post below the pic.
on the the subject and castrate any muppet doing the
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!x 100 thing focing the text alignment all over.

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Fri, 5. Mar 04, 16:03

CBJ wrote:Why not just switch off signature images in your profile under "Always show these images"?
:thumb_up:

done, hadn't had a look into the settings in ages hence was not aware of that one :oops:

thanks

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Fri, 5. Mar 04, 17:08

Avis wrote:if someone clicks a thread on this forum then expect loading times, simple as that.
LV's TC Scripts
Readme's For All My Scripts

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Fri, 5. Mar 04, 17:48

Avis wrote:800 pixels .
:o

wtf, gonna clone me eh?

I don't think so.

/runs and hides
"I find your lack of belief in the Three Dimensionality disturbing." Mercenary

"So getting this chick back is more than just getting a chick back. It's the concrete manifestation of an abstract policy goal. And we like concrete - right, Vic?"

Red wine...the only way to frag

crunn
x4

Post by crunn » Fri, 5. Mar 04, 20:04

Images.
The thumb nail thing is probably best.

Smaller file size displayed,
linked to the full size one
maybe?

That way you get a good idea what it is,
then if you like what you see you can click.

twistedtech
x3tc

Post by twistedtech » Sat, 6. Mar 04, 05:31

Image width restrictions I feel are far far more important than filesize, always has been, (I'd say 800 pixels wide is a good size ie to prevent having to scroll sideways for 3 days just to read a post below the pic.
Try not to let your mind wander... It is too small to be out by itself.

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Sun, 7. Mar 04, 18:47

As the poll was overwhelmingly in favour of the larger image size, this rule is now in effect - please see http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtop ... 344#349344

Thanks for voting!

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Tue, 16. Mar 04, 17:10

RustiSwordz wrote:250.

Im on dial up and to be honest despite my B'with problems i always opt for the quality file option, to be honest even with PS 7.0 i lose a lot of resolution at high compession low file size.
[shakes head]

USE IMAGE READY YA TELADI BAITER!!!

Return to “Creative Universe”