[TC] A Pirate's Revenge [Book One Complete]

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Fri, 11. Feb 11, 01:09

Chapter 15: Know when to Fold 'em

So, the Yaki finally managed to toast the other two Nova Raiders. So I dropped in a for a visit. And spent an hour and a half floating in space, repairing my Gannet.

At some point, while pushing my rep, I managed to salvage a bailed Mercury SF XL. While repairing my Gannet, I get a message that the MSFXL has docked at a Cahoona Bakery. Ordering it to sell the Argnu Beef that it had in the hold, which is why I sent it there to begin with, it then goes to OTAS HQ, where it collects a Jump Drive, and another 2GJ shield. Now my Gannet has 4.2GJ of shielding. And a PBE for it's ass turret. Err... tail turret.

But precisely Zero missiles. The MSFXL goes back to the Aladna area, hunting Hammers, Flails, and Boarding Pods. For now the Gannet returns to the Yaki Shipyard, and I return to Split fire.

The area is almost completely devoid, not only of Pirates, but also of Paranid Traffic. I scanned a few, but the only one with any cargo went down with his ship and didn't leave me anything. Another did leave me some missiles. Aurora Missiles. Not too helpful, but I dumped them at the Chokaro, and then moved east into Brennan's Triumph. Where yet another Carrack awaited me. I knew I wasn't going to make any caps there, especially when it started launching Hammerhead's at me. Fortunately the Wasp has enough range to smack down something like that before it closes on me.

Then I escaped north into Olmanckselot's treaty. Nothing there but a lot of 'roids. I scanned the lot and went north again, defending a convoy from a bunch of M5 groups.

I noticed a gap in the universe map and dropped into the Wall for a quick visit, and docked at one of the SPP's. I know that sometimes you just have to stop and let the day move along. So I left the ship docked, crawled into the Captain's Bed, and pulled the covers over my head, dreaming of using enough firepower to flatten a sector several times over.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sat, 12. Feb 11, 22:43

Chapter 16: 'Nid Running

Having finished my work with the Yaki, I undocked and jumped to Aladna Hill for some energy and then into Haktikvah's, looking for a little piracy. And finding nothing. At all. Not even echoes of anything worth picking off.

Slipping into Amazon, I sent the Mos Eisley (Chokaro) to my Wheat Farm, and booked for the South Gate, and into Clarity's End. No big deal, then I was on into Third Redemption. Here I notice Tractor Beam Fabs. I'll have to watch the sky lanes for one of those, they could be handy. North through the gate, and into Gunne's Crusade, then back down through Third Redemption into Perdition's End, and I watch as a Split Python unleashes a hail of Incendiary Bomb Launcher fire into a Pirate Nova Raider unlucky to encounter the battle group heading for Rhonkar's Fire. This one is huge, and apparently intending on a fight, because it includes two Heavy Dragons, and a Tiger. Unfortunately, I was in such awe, and relief that I forgot to snap a picture. I'm very glad I do not have to engage the Split for my vengeance.

South now through Desecrated Skies, the east into Moo-Kye's Revenge. There a job from the Soyery sends me racing through the Southern Paranid Sectors. The military in Cardinal's Domain threatens me, but they have no chance and I'm into Sacred Relic, then through Interworlds, and Wastelands, sending a Scorpion to my Chokaro, and jumping back to Moo-Kye's. The Scorpion docks just as time is about to run out, with just over a minute on the clock. 22.000+ credits are mine. The Chokaro then jumps back home, and I run back to Moo-Kye's, avoiding the Slow, Ugly Paranid ships in Cardinal's for the second time.

Then I'm heading north, running for the Teladi Sector I know is up north, though I don't remember it's name until the computer informs me when the scanner picks up the gate, across LooManckStrat's Legacy.

But first, a nearby Mamba catches my attention. I've heard of this Mamba. It's a pirate trap, baited by the local pirates who enjoy luring fools to their doom, and watching them blow up on the mines.

I must be a fool. I went for it, slowly inching my way in, scanning for anything other than rocks, skirting the one mine I did find, and then reaching the Mamba. Out into my space suit, I thruster gently over.

BANG.
Last edited by Triaxx2 on Wed, 16. Feb 11, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Wed, 16. Feb 11, 11:05

:o
A Pirate's Story.pdf(KIA) by _Zap _ From Nothing.PDF(complete) by _Zap _ Prodigal Son(active) Original Thread, Prodigal Son_PDF

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Wed, 16. Feb 11, 18:27

Chapter 17: Ringing in

Wow. Who'd have thought bouncing off a ship would produce that kind of noise? Floating in space, I shook my head to clear the ringing while the computer ran an integrity check. 72% integrity of the suit. I was glad I wasn't going any faster. There's got to be an easier way to claim ships. But without having one to hand, I use the computer to claim this one, then punch the teleporter to beam back to the Amazon. Remotely flying the Mamba around the mine, and then out the north gate, while watching for bogey's isn't easy, but I manage it. Mos Eisley comes and picks it up, and then is waiting for me as I come through the north gate.

Deciding the day is young, I jump up to Haktikvah's faith, and try some pirating. But the 'Nid's aren't biting here. So, collecting a small hold full of missiles, I return to the Mos Eisley and make the jump to Legend's Home, and land at my wheat farm. I think it's time to start hunting something with a bit less speed, and a lot more firepower. It's time to not return ships. :twisted:

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Wed, 16. Feb 11, 19:09

Phew, I really thought you'd been caught out in that minefield :o

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Thu, 17. Feb 11, 02:10

Nope. Close, but no Cigar. I did see a pirate run into one though. It was awe inspiring. Of course there wasn't even debris left, but...

It's time to get into the swing and start attacking some Paranid sectors, but I need some cash, and I'm not very good at boarding. Not good at all.

I'm really hoping to get an M7, though I think I'll steer away from another Shrike. I love the Shrike, but I'm not up for it again.

And Scion has pointed out the potential vulnerabilities of the Argon M7's. I'm really kind of hoping for a Tiger, but I'm not holding my breath.

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Thu, 17. Feb 11, 07:18

You so had me going. Jeez, I am so gullible.
A Pirate's Story.pdf(KIA) by _Zap _ From Nothing.PDF(complete) by _Zap _ Prodigal Son(active) Original Thread, Prodigal Son_PDF

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Thu, 17. Feb 11, 13:01

That is part of the fun. I promise to make any death suitably epic if I can.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sat, 26. Feb 11, 11:55

Chapter 18: No fetch

I guess I'm unreliable. I spent two hours looking for a return ship mission and all I got was one from a fish to bring back a dolphin from Legend's Home to Montalaar. Needless to say, I'm infinitely thankful for Jumpdrives.

So far nothing else has turned up, and since the Argon are the only ones that like me enough to offer me big ships, (As a Hero of the Federation, it's my duty to nag them until they do.) I am rather stuck for options. I might not mind if it were the Split, since they love to cram their sectors full of stations. But the Argon like to spread out. So the Amazon is getting quite a work out.

I am torn though. I'd love to find a Split Tiger, but it has no hangar. I've heard the Teladi Shrike is good, and it packs a hangar, but I've also been told it's hideously expensive to arm. Of course it is Teladi, so that's to be expected.

Naturally Paranid ships are not on the menu, and wouldn't be anyway, because they're ugly.

The Boron Thresher packs a lot of firepower, but it's like the Shrike, hideously expensive to outfit. Though it doesn't have ammo using guns.

The Argon Cerberus has a hangar, and lots of anti-fighter power, but well, it's mostly only got anti-fighter power.

I guess I'll have to see if I can put my hands on a Split Panther. That seems the best balance. Now, how to make the Split happy. Ah. Make the Boron UN-happy.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Fri, 4. Mar 11, 21:56

Chapter 19: Fetch Quest

Ordering the computer to release the clamps, I dropped into the wilds of space, and swung around. Dozens of offers assaulted me, including one to buy a Nova Raider, from a man docked at one of the Cahoona Bakeries. It came with three HEPT's and three PRG's. So in came the Mos Eisley, and the Nova docked, passed it's HEPT's to the Valkyrie, along with one of the PRG's. The other two PRG's went to the Buster Raider. It took the spare 5, and 25MJ shields from the Mos Eisley, along with a couple of Spaceweed that were clogging the cargo bay of the Buster Raider.

While this was happening, I found, in Light of Heart, from the equipment dock of all places, a mission to retrieve an Argon Minotaur. In Aladna Hill. Sighing at the stupidity of various Argon, and offended at the offer of a mere 217,000 and change credits for an M7M, I swung north, claimed the ship with the access codes I'd been given, and jumped it to the Federal Argon Shipyard in Legend's Home. I sold it for 17 MILLION credits. And got yelled at.

Too bad. Pay better next time and I might consider returning it. But probably won't. With my new found riches, I've decided it's better to give than receive, so I'm going to give myself a TL, so I don't have to let the Argon Supply ships receive any more of my valuable business.

So, picking up fuel from my Legend's Home Fueler, and stocking the Buster Raider with all the software goodies my new TL will need, including a Jumpdrive and Triplex Scanner, I make the leap across to Senator's Badlands, and ask my Yaki contact to work his magic and transform my 20 million plus credits into a TL. Saying the magic words "Paper or Plastic?" he does so and my TL is ready to go. And wonder of wonders, now I have fuel for the Gannet, which has been sitting here rusting since I last visited to fix it up.

So, sending my Ryu and Gannet to the EQD in Light of Heart, the former to pick up the three Solano's docked there, and the latter to outfit with software, I jump back to Aladna, dock at one of the SPP's in the south of the sector, and kick back in my command chair. It's been a good day.
Last edited by Triaxx2 on Sun, 13. Mar 11, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sun, 6. Mar 11, 00:16

Chapter 20: Arming

And I thought arming the Gannet was a pain in the neck. The Ryu, as it turns out, can take IBL's in three of it's four turret slots. I do not however, have the cash to do that, so instead, I mount up and go searching for PRG's. Two in the nose, from the Buster Hauler now sitting in it's docking bay. That will for now, be it's cargo salvage ship, and the three Solanos will be it's interceptor wing. Of course I'll need to arm and outfit them, but that won't take too long.

With both the Gannet and Ryu at the Light of Heart shipyard, and my two stations ticking over nicely, it's time to look towards the goal of financing my own Solar Power Plant. It's a long haul from the south gate of Akeela's Beacon to the Wheat Farm and Silicon Mine, and it will be much easier if I can build my own SPP north of that gate. Plus I'll be able to acquire fuel there for free.

But first, guns. The encyclopedia-ex-galatica is a fantastically useful guide to the universe, even lacking the large, friendly letters of Don't Panic on the front. Instead it says: "Don't Trust the Auto-Pillock." I gather one of the two, the Auto-Pilot, or Encyclopedia is defective. Since the Auto-Pilot seems capable of crashing a satellite into things, and the Encyclopedia only lists things I know how to find, I'm inclined to believe it's both. Not having FAA's on the list is more than a touch annoying, though I've been told that the Teladi produce them.

Of course, since they aren't even listed, I haven't the first idea where to look for them. I guess I'll put out some feelers amongst the less savory members of the various pirate organizations.

In the mean time, I've decided to name my Ryu, 'The Decadence of Piracy', or 'Decadence' for short. At the same time, the Gannet has become, 'Gunboat Diplomacy'.

As soon as I can source some Hammer Heavy Torpedoes, I'm going to use the Gunboat Diplomacy to stomp yet another Carrack infesting my Happy Hunting Ground.

Now I'm tired of those things, and I think that the only thing to do, is to teach the pirates a lesson they will not soon forget. For now though, I swap to the Amazon, and fly to Haktikvah's Faith. The Carrack is off to the west, busily amusing itself by giving traffic a beating, and I slip past with ease, but not before accepting a return ship mission in Ceo's Sprite, which is where I was headed. The Pegasus Sentinel jumps the return trip aboard the Mos Eisley, and makes it easily. And wonder of wonders, there's a Flak Artillery Array Forge in Ceo's. And they have two in stock. Mos Eisley lands, and purchases both, but not without having to drain some funds from my stations. The Military Outpost yields a pair of boarding pods, and a quartet of Energy Bolt Chainguns. Two scan asteroid missions, both wanting the same 8 roids, three in Ceo's Sprite, and five in Company Pride scanned. So, having completed on, I also complete the second.

Now, to find another ship to not return. I need some missiles. But first, I think I'm going to beat up some Paranid for their valuable cargo.
Last edited by Triaxx2 on Sun, 13. Mar 11, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.

Neeros
x3tc

Post by Neeros » Sun, 6. Mar 11, 08:32

Awesome. :)

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sun, 6. Mar 11, 16:58

Thank you.

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Mon, 7. Mar 11, 15:39

Neeros wrote:Awesome. :)
:D

wreckzors
x3tc

Post by wreckzors » Wed, 9. Mar 11, 22:58

WELL LOOK WHAT I FOUND....

I like it.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Thu, 10. Mar 11, 02:34

Thank you, I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sun, 13. Mar 11, 14:12

Chapter 21: Luxuriously Luxurious Lavatories

Seriously, the thrones in the Ryu are gold plated. Not the seats fortunately. Those are padded. I'm pretty sure I'd rather not know what with though.

But first, how did I find that out. Well, it started with a mission. I was to find and recover a fighter. The Mos Eisley was busily collecting missiles for OTAS. So, needing to get it from A to B in a fairly short time, I summoned the Decadence to me, and docked with it, then jumped to the target. The combination of the Decadence's ability to haul the ships, and the Amazon's ability to reach them really, really fast, it proved a winner, and I was able to take missions reaching from Aladna Hill to Rhonkar's Fire without a problem.

Then I got to test out the ability to build stations, selling an abandoned Raijin, in order to fund the purchase and placement of a Teladi Flower Farm M. For a profit roughly twice what I paid for the station, once I'd taken the price of the station out of the equation. Later, I also accepted and completed a mission to drop a Sun Oil Refinery L in Legend's Home of all places. That brought me a cool million or so credits, and some good relations with the Teladi.

I also, as it happened, was able to set Decadence up as a CODEA carrier. Three Solano's' acting as Interceptors, the Mamba as the first of the Attack Fighters, and a slightly under armed Buster Hauler on patrol. Of course, since it's sitting in Legend's Home, I doubt it'll have it's defenses seriously probed.

Me, I hopped into the Mos Eisley and took off to Haktikvah's faith. The hunting wasn't good. Only a handful of freighters, and one freight transporter, that I had to short jump to the south gate to catch. And all that he did was explode. Loser.

Of course the one Paranid that dropped freight and left me some Computer Components, and Quantum Tubes. Having no further prospects, I returned to the Mos Eisley, and landed. I think I need to find another place to pirate. But so far nothing has given me what I need. Perhaps heading east a bit. But first, I need to reset my hold.

Of course, having 6xHEPT's and 2xPBG's, I can BBQ anything, and punch through all but the heaviest freighter shields in a single volley. I wonder, how hard it would be to take a TL? Hmmm... What a lovely thought.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Mon, 14. Mar 11, 13:46

Chapter 22: Paranid Dreams

I seem to have fallen asleep for a while, while I was managing my cargo. Because now there are Paranid floating around. And away I go.

Pickings are good, one Demeter carrying Crystals, and Teladianium, and an empty Dolphin. That one bailed, and left me shields. I send it along to follow the Mos Eisley, and call Salvage Bucket to jump in and pick up the Crystals and Teladianium floating around the area. While that works, I pick on handful of pirates who don't understand that this is my hunting ground, and they're scaring away all the Paranids. Then I have to hold the hand of the Salvage Bucket, because it seems that Caiman, translates into can't pick up space junk.

So, after a crash course on ware collection, I'm ordering the Salvage Bucket to follow the Mos Eisley.

I think I might want to work on getting a more effective salvage method though. Perhaps exploiting CODEA's Cargo Salvage mechanism might work. Hm...
The next target I pick up is a military Supply freighter, packing a bunch of Advanced Sats. Then a freight transporter, full of Bofu and Nostrop. Fortunately, I can make a handy profit with both of those, but for now they go into the Salvage Bucket and I go hunting for more profits. But I think for the moment, I'll abandon this area. Pickings are a bit sparse, even though a Military Cerberus has just moved into the area, to keep down pirate capitals. I think I'll move. Gunne's Crusade seems to be a likely spot for more Paranid traffic. And perhaps some trafficking.

First though, I have to shepherd my new Dolphin back to the Light of Heart Shipyard. But I'm only in Gunne's Crusade a few minutes, just enough to pick up an abandoned Mercury Tanker XL, and ambush a Paranid Food Transporter packing Meatsteaks.

At that point, I learned that the Elena's Fortune Military outpost had boarding pods. Leaping clear to it, I immediately started swearing, and hauling the controls off to the left, pulling around the gate, and hiding from the Carrack sitting in Elena's. Of course, there's also a Thresher here, and it looks like it might be a good fight.

Unfortunately for me, the Thresher is just passing through, and wanders out the West gate without engaging. The Carrack seems set to terrorize the trade lanes, but then it closes in on the Military Outpost, and quickly looses it's fighter escort. Come to think of it, I don't see the Weapons Platforms that usually float around here. Interesting. So, IM7FY-32, Are we going to be good friends? Or are you going to die in space.

Die in space. Though the fact that they were firing Hammerheads probably helped it along. Ah well. At least it left some worthwhile salvage. Not from itself, but from the ships it destroyed. And those that it forced to bail. A Solano, a Nova, and one of it's accompanying Blastclaws.

Of course, it's only after the fighting has finished that the Boron Military shows back up. I do get a look at the M4+ that they have, and I like it. I'll have to check a little more into it, but the Pike is a nice looking ship.

For me, I dock at the Military Outpost, while the Decadence arrives to haul away my spoils. Once it's got everything, I transfer the Tomahawk Missiles, Hammer Heavy Torpedoes, and Boarding Pods, then send it to Terracorp HQ for a transporter device. Of course, it leaves behind it's Patrol Fighter. It's only got one at the moment, until I 'locate' a mate for it.

As it's on it's way back, I also notice something. An Argon Colossus. I wonder where that's been while the Carrack was ravaging Elena's Fortune.

Probably sipping Spacefuel. Of course since it's dead, I guess they've decided it's now safe to come back. Schmucks.

I think, now that the Decadence is back, I'll try some Paranid Piracy in Split Fire. As I fly towards the south gate, I wonder if these small acts of piracy are really doing any good. I begin to feel as though I should be doing more. Perhaps attempting to strike at the heart of Paranid space. And yet I know that doing so would be foolish. At least for now. Even with the Gunboat Diplomacy, one capital does not a fleet make, particularly one which is meant to inspire fear in an entire race.

I think it's time to begin the planning. What do I need to take on the Paranid, and what do I need to utterly crush them into nothingness, to make them fear to return to space, even long after I'm dust floating in the depths of silence. What do I need?

A monument. Something that might not be permanent, but that will long survive me. Something to inspire fear and terror in my enemies.

I need my own sector. After all, no one treads lightly in Loomanckstrat's Legacy. Even those that are friendly to the pirates. And no one stands against the Weaver's Tempest without feeling overwhelmed. I need to make a mark in the universe. A permanent reminder of ME.

I guess I'll have to think about that later. For now my fleet is important. Let's see. They hate the Argon. Exactly why I cannot fathom, though I suspect that it's because Argon founded the Goner Religion, and it competes with their religion. They're friends with the Split, but I can't imagine anyone not being terrified of the Split. And particularly of their designs.

The Teladi have good designs, but they're more annoying than hate worthy. Though, I might end up with a Phoenix as the backbone of my fleet. Because really, that's an awesome ship.

The Raptor holds more ships, but the Colossus is better shielded. The Raptor is significantly faster. The Colossus has a better... shielding? Okay, so I think the Raptor is the better carrier.

Panthers will make good supporting carriers. While Cerberus will be good escort frigates. Plus I can use Centaur's as escort Corvette's.

Eclipses as close interceptors, and Mamba Raiders as fast Attack Fighters. Discoverer Raiders as Recon Fighters. And Falcon Haulers as Cargo Salvage. Asp's as Escorts.

I might find some problems with Tenders, but I think Ryu's will handle the job without much trouble. And some OTAS Mistral Superfreighters to supply the Ryu's.

Of course this is all far in the future, and I need infrastructure, not just of weapons but also money to buy this sweeping fleet.

The problem is that I'll probably never hold all the territory I need, no matter how much firepower I put into the fleet. So I must set a goal. I have to raze Paranid territory. Everything burns, but it slowly circles inward. A long, unstoppable collapse inwards until I arrive to scourge the Paranid Prime Sector.

What a lovely dream. Now, onwards to piracy.

Sort of. Turns out pickings are pretty truly slim. Not helped at all by the Argon military showing up in quite a bit of force, which is to say with a Titan and escorting Cerberus.

Of course those could have been in Elena's Fortune about ten minutes ago and not missed a fight that had to be handled by a bunch of fighters, and a particularly deadly corvette. And it wasn't even a heavy Corvette either. Definitely interesting.

Since there wasn't anything worth shooting at, instead I took two missions from the local Soyfarm, and found myself scanning everything in the sector for Valuable Freight. Which every pirate knows means, every single thing on the ship, up to and including the crew itself. So I scanned the Titan, the Cerberus, all the accompanying fighters, ever freighter I could reach in time in the Valkyrie. If I'd known what I was going to be doing, I'd have brought the Amazon instead. But the Valkyrie worked out well, and I got quite a few credits for the two missions. Even the fact that one was offering seven percent and one was offering two of the total value, each mission was worth more than a million credits. Not a bad haul for not being shot at, which is something I'm always interested in avoiding.

Seeing no opportunities for 'Profitssss' as the Teladi say, I swung around north, and ran straight into a bunch of pirates that somehow made it through Elena's without falling a foul of the local fighters, or interestingly, the Decadence's own fighters. A quick check of the map revealed it was a simple matter of the fact that the Mamba from Lookmanckstrat's' Legacy, which is the Decadence's soul attacking fighter, was simply not fast enough to catch the group which consisted of two Harrier's and a Pirate Elite. Since they ran directly into the firing arcs of both the Titan and Cerberus, they didn't last long. Surprisingly, the Elite survived, it's pilot bailing, and the ship even surviving a last glancing blow from what looked like a CIG blast, but that did no damage. Might have been an IPG round, now that I think on it. Not that I'm going to complain to loudly about a free ship.

Anyway, I follow it back to the Decadence, still parked in Elena's, and dock shortly before the Elite. But it's been a very long day, and decidedly stressful. So I order the Decadence to dock with the local Military Outpost, and then shut down all the non-essential systems.

As it turns out, the bedrooms aboard the Ryu are extravagant. Decadence is well named. Soft feather mattress, automatic species detection, adjusting to temperature and sound preferences for the best sleep. Full bar, Full bathroom, with shower and tub, and even a hot tub. The Yaki really know how to live. No wonder there are always a few Ryu floating around Yaki space. As nice as this ship is, I wouldn't want to leave either. I knew there was a reason for the additional credits. And this is it.

Neeros
x3tc

Post by Neeros » Tue, 15. Mar 11, 09:41

Good stuffs mate. :)

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sun, 3. Apr 11, 01:17

Chapter 23: Blades in the Darkness

My dreams are tormented, despite the softness of the mattress, and it's supreme comfort. On one hand, I'm remembering things I should have no recollection of. Of the death of my original body. I keep seeing nightmares of Paranid warships bearing down on me. I shouldn't be seeing this.

On the other hand, I'm also seeing.. visions. Visions of a Pirate Empire. Run by a young man who seems little older than me, but at the same time seems to be ancient. I don't know why I should be seeing this. I'd have heard about such an organization if it existed, right?

Morning brings the cold light of reality, and the harsh glare of the morning lighting system. One of the slightly less inspired systems the Yaki developed. The lights can only return to the normal, sun yellow they provide by way of a button, mounted on the wall near the door, and as far from the bed as possible. As a way of waking the occupant, and forcing them to get up and walk across the room, and become awake, it's fantastic. It's impossible to ignore without being blind. As a way of greeting a person who's lying in bed, staring at the ceiling , it's a bit frustrating. Especially the temporary blindness that accompanies it. Stumbling swearing to the button, I find it, and I'm in darkness for a moment as my eyes adjust to normal lighting. Well, even if I weren't up, I am now.

Decadence slides away from the station with ease, and makes a jump to Legend's Home. I transfer with the Valkyrie to the Mos Eisley, and send the Decadence to join the Gunboat Diplomacy at the Aladna Hill Military Outpost. It doesn't stay there for long. After transferring the Boarding Pod picked up from Elena's Fortune, it jumps to the Argon Prime Shipyard, where it buys a Crystal Fab L, and deploys it for some quick credits. Then a 'Supply Ship' mission asking for the Dolphin Tanker I just happen to have nets me quite the profit, carrying quite a but of excess junk from the Salvage Bucket and the Hold.

I notice something troubling though. I'm burning through quite a lot of energy cells, bouncing around the Universe with the Jump Drive, and I have no way to replenish them myself. As I consider building my own SPP, I get a call from OTAS. Cerise Parii, my contact wants a Taxi to the Light of Heart EQD. And he wants a TP. For a moment, I'm perplexed as to what to do, until I remember I'm in a sector with two Shipyard's. So, the rapid purchase of an Express and Jumpdrive, and some Energy stripped from the Mos Eisley, completes the mission easily. Since they don't offer me a new mission right away, I look around Light of Heart for a few missions. And stumble across a banged up Buster Raider. It's not in great shape, but it's been abandoned. The Valkyrie slips out, and brings me into range to claim it.

I do, and spend a few minutes welding with the laser built into my suit so it doesn't look like it's going to fall apart when the engine is started. Not that I trust it enough to do that in just an EVA suit. So I retreat to the far superior shielding of the Chokaro.
The ship holds together, and docks. I'd say glided in, but a controlled crash is a more appropriate word for what it did. I suspect that it's perhaps got a defective auto-pillock, even more than usual, so I decide to have it checked over by a shipyard before I fly it. And I am going to fly it. I love the looks, like it was built to run. It's like the Amazon. Never intended to be standing still if it can manage to avoid it. And I will help it in it's quest to run. As soon as I find some guns and shields for it.

A taxi mission for OTAS gives me a new contact, and a serious reputation boost. From 23 to 37 percent is quite the jump. So is 37 to 65. That was another taxi mission.

Then I get lucky. Sitting in Gunne's Crusade, feeling much like a spider as I plan to lay down sats, I suddenly find myself glad I didn't'. What hoves into view is a Caravel. It's some how managed to have five ships docked, possibly stacking two Elites in a single slot. But it's packing an insanely substandard shield in the form of a 25mj. It disappears under the fist of a Banshee before I can snap a picture. Then down go two of the Blastclaws defending it. And then the remaining fighters engage in a furball with an Argon Weapons dealer, which ends with it vaporized, and one of the Elites in the same condition. They succeed in forcing a Nova pilot out of his ship, and turn on me. Unfortunately, I 'm a significantly better pilot than the Nova, and prove no easy prey. In fact, I prove myself the hunter, bagging both the Elite, AND the remaining ship.

A Blastclaw Prototype. With a cavernous cargohold for a fighter. 650 L sized units of bay. To say that it's a great score is an understatement. I think I might move into it and put the Valkyrie into mothballs. But not just yet. First, I have to get them out, and second I have to get them repaired. The solution to the first is easy. Decadence has lots of hangar. Not enough as it turns out. She's packing 10 fighters, and only has room for two more. Mos Eisley would have to drop the Amazon and Buster Raider and then come back for us. I don't want to sit out here unable to run like that. There's really only one option.

A com message reaches out across light years of space, hopping from gate to gate through a series of Teladi designed, Argon supported, and Boron funded communications relays. It dances across the intervening space before being boosted across the gate threshold. The shipyard in Legends Home is it's destination. The order is decoded and payment transferred from the account. And off the racks of ships ready for sale and transfer to owners, comes a Zephyrus. A sleek, and capable ship, mounting three top of the line two hundred mega-joule shield generators, and housing up to four fighters, the ship is transferred into the docking cradle, and technicians swarm over it, fitting it with a jump drive, and Triplex scanner, and it's own trading system extension. The ship releases from the docking clamps, and is met by a trading vessel transferring a small quantity of energy cells. Just enough to send it across to Light of Heart, three sectors away, for it's final fitting at the equipment dock there.

Prepped and painted, and prepared for service, it glides north through the gate, and docks with the closest Solar Power Plant, and the on-board computers of ship and station converse within a few nano-seconds and the pre-programmed orders it's been given see it filled with energy for it's trip. It gets new tasking orders, and leaps through the jump gate network to the system known as Gunne's Crusade. Then it follows another ship, of it's own class, but as unlike it as the three fighters approaching it at a snail's pace. Then it learns it's new name.

Tow Wagon. A proud name, for a proud ship.

Tow Wagon leaps into Gunne's Crusade, and approaches the Mos Eisley, swinging around on her stern. The three fighters of it's cargo approach and slip into their docking spaces. A quick transfer of energy later, and the Tow Wagon is on it's way to Legend's Home, and the Federal Argon Shipyard there. The Nova will be repaired, and join the Decadence, as will the Elite. The Blastclaw may become my personal ship, or not, depending on whether or not it speaks to me. If not, I'll stick with the Valkyrie and wait for an opportunity to upgrade to something like a Corvette. I like the look both of the Split Dragon, and the Boron Hydra. The former is a real warship, sleek, and fast, and well armed. Shields are a bit of a concern though. On the other hand, the Hydra is less heavily armed, but better shielded, and has quite the interesting missile selection. Choices, choices.

While I'm contemplating, several new targets wander into the area, including a freight transporter, which is packing nothing but a pilot, a High-Tech Trader full of sats. And fighter drones. Sadly he goes down with his entire cargo, except for the fighter drones. Fortunately for me, between PBG's in the front, and two turrets of PRG's, make short work of drones. A weapon trader yields a cargo of PSG's, and some Aurora missiles. And two Energy traders force me to call in Hold 3 which is my Vulture Hauler, to come in and collect both from the Chokaro, and from the dropped cargo.

It's about this time that OTAS calls for a mission. It's a station defense mission, for the Special Weapons complex in Aladna Hill. And it's a good one. I manage to acquire a bailed Viper, and Buzzard Vanguard. Plus a Pirate Harrier, and standard Buster. Of course the Buster, Harrier, and Buzzard are going to the shipyard, but so is the Viper. But the Viper is getting repaired, while the others are getting sold. During all this, I get a message from the Decadence. It's filled it's hold with the 1000 ore I ordered it to mine. Now to put a Discoverer Raider I purchased for a song to use as it's Microchip supplier. Just have to find a place to buy chips.

But that's a question for another day. For now, I dock at one of the SPPs in Aladna Hill, and retire to my room. It's been a long day, and I deserve a rest before I continue my piratical depredations of the Paranid shipping and merchant fleet. Perhaps I'll even take on a capital with my new, mighty Viper. It came with some missiles, and I have more in the Salvage Bucket.

Now that I think of it, I think I'm going to have to buy another TL, just to hold all my spoils. What a lovely thought.

Return to “Creative Universe”