Wanton use of nukes and the path to galactic conquest!

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

Black Gryphon
x4

Post by Black Gryphon » Mon, 1. Jun 09, 18:23

Any bets on how long he lasts?

MasterChief096

Post by MasterChief096 » Mon, 1. Jun 09, 20:16

Black Gryphon wrote:Any bets on how long he lasts?
The Kha'ak will find and devour him.

Olterin
xr

Post by Olterin » Mon, 1. Jun 09, 20:44

Black Gryphon wrote:Any bets on how long he lasts?
Right until a nasty Boron capital that ambushed his (former) employer does the same to him :twisted:

Just kidding - hope something like that doesn't happen this time :lol:
"Do or do not, there is no try"
"My Other Overwhelming Mixed Assault Fleet is a Brigantine" -Seleucius, commenting on my ship naming scheme

yoink

Post by yoink » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 12:02

Bothersome wrote:
Curios as to how you set the mode...
Terran Defender Start.

Fly to jupiter.

Self destruct ship.

Eject.

Game start.

IIRC all terran ships in the core sectors are hostile to you from the start until you get clearance to enter their sectors through the story.

NUKLEAR-SLUG
x3tc

Post by NUKLEAR-SLUG » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 15:53

Prev chapter<->Next chapter
03 - Freedom

Succesfully managing to negotiate the Jupiter 2 Orbital Accelerator catapults me out into Jupiter space and the planet itself is suddenly looking a whole lot smaller. About the size it was when I first saw it in fact, which could mean homefleet is still in this system and close by! I'm almost tempted to turn on my suit comms and try to send a signal but two things stop me. The first, I'm still deep in Terran space with no guaruntee that any friendly ships are even still around, the second.. I'm free. As far as my employer is concerned I'm dead.

That's a bit of a new concept for me actually. After my press-ganging into the mercenary corps of Mak G'Yvrs pirate clan I'ld pretty much resigned myself to a short, brutal, life as a ship-boarding meat-puppet. As it happens it turned out I had a certain flair with a carbine, but the chance to get away from that and start afresh.. tempting. The only thing stopping me? A few hundred kilometres of vacuum amd mass of Terran hardware enroute. Neither of which of bothers me in the slightest compared to the worry over the telltales indicating my O2 supply..

Crossing Jupiter is uneventful, just tedious and the Orbital Accelerator is almost free of traffic. Catapulting thru I'm briefly concerned over the possibility of hurtling out the other side and finding myself bug-splatted against the nose of an incoming Tyr or something equally massive but then it occurs to me an impact at that speed I'm not going to feel much so meh, whatever. As it happens the exit point is also pretty clear so doing my best impression of a micro-meteorite I sail deeper into Asteroid Belt and toward Commonwealth territory.

Halfway across the sector and passing the Orbital Defence Station and my destination is in sight..

http://dbbr17626.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/steve/03-1.jpg

.. Thru that gate and I'm into Commonwealth territory. Well, sortof. Apparently the Terrans have annexed it as a buffer zone between them and the rest of the universe, but it's not heavily patrolled so effectively it puts me in the clear. Heretics End here I come..

http://dbbr17626.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/steve/03-2.jpg

.. Bleeurgh!

Assets
1x Spacesuit

Time: 00:48:40
Credits: 1000
Last edited by NUKLEAR-SLUG on Tue, 1. Sep 09, 18:39, edited 3 times in total.

DarkCorp
x3tc

Post by DarkCorp » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 16:23

"Theres a starman waiting in the sky
Hed like to come and meet us"

Go Steve !

and Thanks N-S !

DarkCorp INC Piraterie et Contrebande en tout genre...

Madruck
x2

Post by Madruck » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 17:29

Woot. I get to follow the story of 'Steve' as it unfolds.

Good luck getting that first ship though. The only way i can think of is taking a return ship mission and not returning it :). Good luck with the fuzz doing that though, if you survive you will take a large rep hit which is needed if you are going to be doing the plot missions.

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 17:45

You gonna fly all the way to the Buster Sentinel in you-know-where!?

Anyway, I'm documenting this story guys, no need to worry!
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

JoeVN09
x4

Post by JoeVN09 » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 18:00

Wonder what it feels like going through a trans-orbital accelerator in a space suit? Or a jumpgate for that matter :P
~ Experienced X3 veteran. Dangerously incompetent X4 novice. ~

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 18:36

O2, yep, looks like there's only one solution to this problem, I'll have to work my way from station to station back to home territory.
Hate to throw an OxyWrench into the works here, but stations don't give out free O², or any O² for that matter. It's find a ship or die. :(
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

NUKLEAR-SLUG
x3tc

Post by NUKLEAR-SLUG » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 18:45

Nanook wrote:Hate to throw an OxyWrench into the works here, but stations don't give out free O², or any O² for that matter. It's find a ship or die. :(
Shh, artistic licence.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 18:56

Oh, okay, I'll keep it just between us. :mrgreen:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 18:57

Hate to throw an OxyWrench into the works here, but stations don't give out free O², or any O² for that matter. It's find a ship or die. :(
That might make this story short :-( let's hope for "deliver a rapier" mission in heretics. Even then, he is on 48th minute. How much oxygen is left and how much do you get once you eject? Me worried :-)

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 19:04

Two hours, I think. Last time I did it, I had enough to get from Argon Prime to Menelaus Frontier. I could've claimed THAT ship, if I was playing that way (I wasn't). But I died before I found either a beat-up ship to buy or one to retrieve. I seem to recall it was two game hours, but it could've been less. I used SETA quite a bit to shorten the real time.

And yes, I said SETA. I'd ejected it from the starting ship before I sold it, and collected it in my 'suit. Also a Duplex Scanner and a trading system extension. Mustn't go unprepared, after all. Now if only there'd been spare oxy tanks somewhere. :wink:

Cactus-Soup
x3tc

Post by Cactus-Soup » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 19:45

Through a combination of the terms "Area of effect" and "Hammer Torpedo" I once successfully managed to take out an M7M, if you are having to make your own missile defense, your space suit will do it admirably.

I was also wondering, if you got those damaged ships that sell themselves to you, could you make it bail under excessive repair laser fire :P ?

I have to say though, you should properly fill out your last contract and finally capture an Osaka that lasts for more than 5 minutes :)

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 20:45

Wonder what being catapulted into a higher dimension wearing naught but your space suit feels like. Something like being turned into pure photons, smooshed through a little hole in the universe and then accurately reconstructed on the other side? :P

Although I guess it feels about the same when you're in your ship. Just, you know, more photons around you at the same time.

Also, anyone want to spoiler me which ship he's trying to get to? ;)
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 20:50

I'm not sure he's trying to get to any of the freebies. It's not generally the N-S way. His only other choice, given his funds, is a retrieve ship mission. Of course, when I start those 'spacesuit' games, I sell off the starter ship and consider those credits to be my current bank account. N-S, aka 'Steve', seems to have opted for the hardest way.

Black Gryphon
x4

Post by Black Gryphon » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 21:09

I wonder how many people carry $1,000 credits on a snatch & grab? I suppose you could say he found it before he went for a swim... :twisted:

edit: typos
Last edited by Black Gryphon on Tue, 2. Jun 09, 21:25, edited 2 times in total.

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 21:09

Nanook wrote:. N-S, aka 'Steve', seems to have opted for the hardest way.
No different than usual then? :wink:

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 2. Jun 09, 21:11

X-Universe denizens don't carry cash, they carry a 'credit' card and all their funds are electronic in nature. How else would you rationalize the player having a billion or so credits on their person at all times, even when using the repair laser? :wink:

Return to “Creative Universe”