Zen and the Art of Running away.. {spoilers guaranteed}

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

yoink

Zen & The Art of Running Away: Final PDF

Post by yoink » Tue, 12. May 09, 13:27

Props to NS for a really enjoyable story. He was always going to go out to something random and unplanned...

Give the poor fella a couple of weeks off before badgering him for a new one, eh? :wink:

The final document version of the story can be found here

Edit: just noticed a couple of minor formatting glitches in the document. I'll fix them shortly.

Kapakio
x4

Post by Kapakio » Tue, 12. May 09, 14:00

NUKLEAR-SLUG wrote:
Graphil wrote:A plot run though + DiD. I dare you. :)
Does it get that hard then?
It could get hard with the following conditions:
- Start building up some fight rank before starting any plot.
- Start by doing the Dukes corp missions (they keep offering killing paranid missions, so you will be enemy of them most of the time)
- Make the pirates very annoyed to you (after you start the missions with Dukes of course).
- Don't start Final Fury until you are at least fighter chief and you are flying an M6

After that, you can make some rules like don't buying capital ships for example.

Not sure it this will be more difficult than what you have already done, but will be hard enough to keep the fun :wink:

Ahem
x3tc

Post by Ahem » Tue, 12. May 09, 14:58

Fantastic story! Well done N-S. Toughtme alot about the game.

And on the stories, they can get very hard with high fight rank. Terran missions would be pretty easy but final fury and goner missions with anything higher than warlord (or maybe battlemaster) will be very hard.

I am currently on my last few final fury missions (i think) with warlord rank and am finding it difficult enough in my akuma. May have to start bringing in support!

chelo_boga
x3tc

Re: Zen & The Art of Running Away: Final PDF

Post by chelo_boga » Tue, 12. May 09, 15:07

yoink wrote:Props to NS for a really enjoyable story. He was always going to go out to something random and unplanned...

Give the poor fella a couple of weeks off before badgering him for a new one, eh? :wink:

The final document version of the story can be found here

Edit: just noticed a couple of minor formatting glitches in the document. I'll fix them shortly.
Great work as always!!

Already downloading. Many thanks

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Tue, 12. May 09, 15:23

I think Goner plot is the worst one with high rank. Protecting those ships is getting impossible on Assassin (I had to shoot over 2000 missiles in Goner campaign), hard to imagine when it starts spawning destroyers.

yoink

Post by yoink » Tue, 12. May 09, 16:30

delray wrote:I think Goner plot is the worst one with high rank. Protecting those ships is getting impossible on Assassin (I had to shoot over 2000 missiles in Goner campaign), hard to imagine when it starts spawning destroyers.
If I've learnt anything from this story it's that if you're using 2000 missiles then it's obvious that you're not using big enough ones!

Nuclear fire FTW. :wink:

NUKLEAR-SLUG
x3tc

Post by NUKLEAR-SLUG » Tue, 12. May 09, 17:07

yoink wrote:If I've learnt anything from this story it's that if you're using 2000 missiles then it's obvious that you're not using big enough ones!

Nuclear fire FTW. :wink:
Preach it brother, Amen!

masrock
x3tc

Computer spec

Post by masrock » Tue, 12. May 09, 17:53

Hey Mr. N Slug.

What spec. Pc are you running the game on?

I'm also guessing that you prefer mouse control to joystick- am I right?

If you take up the thrown gauntlet for running a DID plot game at high rank, you could get a lot of ships attacking in on e sector slowing things down- hence the first question.

Cheers

Masrock

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 12. May 09, 18:43

Despite how amusing it may be to the rest of us, I'd advise against a DiD plot game if you're serious about finishing all the plots. Not only are there a number of potential bugs that cause reloads, but you get forced into dangerous, even deadly, situations that under 'normal' DiD play you'd avoid. In short, a desire to finish the plots doesn't fit well with the DiD style of play. Just how many times do you want to get part way through the HUB mission, for example, only to die and have to restart from the very beginning? Something to think about.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Rednoahl
x4

Post by Rednoahl » Tue, 12. May 09, 19:58

I did the Goner plot DiD the other day, and it was very hard work in some places. The "defend this and that" never happened though; as soon as I engaged my jumpdrive to go where I was told, I would get a message to go somewhere else. The bit after that was a nightmare. I am worried about doing the Terran plot because I've had problems in the past with it, yet nothing that would force a reload.

I would love to see N-S do a plot walk-though, especially since his stories are the first thing noobs get pointed to as guide for so many things. What I have realised in my DiD game though, is there becomes a point where you get so powerful that no matter what rules you play under you can pretty much do what you want without all that much fear of getting killed. If N-S does do a plot DiD, the only rule I'd like to see him do is sticking to piloting one races' ships only.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Tue, 12. May 09, 20:09

I liked the idea of starting as Lost Lar and never getting out of Angel the most. It would challenge the crap out of him to pull off. :-)

idaeus
x3tc

Post by idaeus » Tue, 12. May 09, 20:17

I think N-S deserves the chance to play the game the way he wants, and not worry so much about keeping the rest of us entertained. It is good enough that he has thrilled us with 2 fantastic tales, and he has inspired many people to take his approach to the game which has breathed new life into it.

Having said that, I will eagerly await any crumbs he may decide to throw in our general direction :D

Kapakio
x4

Post by Kapakio » Tue, 12. May 09, 20:59

Nanook wrote:Despite how amusing it may be to the rest of us, I'd advise against a DiD plot game if you're serious about finishing all the plots. Not only are there a number of potential bugs that cause reloads, but you get forced into dangerous, even deadly, situations that under 'normal' DiD play you'd avoid. ...
That would make it just more... challenging?

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 12. May 09, 21:05

No, I'd say just more frustrating. All who have completed every one of the five major plots without once reloading for one reason or another, please raise your hand/claw/tentacle. What, no one? Not a single appendage? :o :lol:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

Tiedyeguy
x4

Post by Tiedyeguy » Tue, 12. May 09, 21:43

idaeus wrote:I think N-S deserves the chance to play the game the way he wants, and not worry so much about keeping the rest of us entertained.
I believe that so far he has played the game exactly as he wants. We have done nothing more than suggest ideas in hopes one or more will call to his inner wants. He, of his own wanting to share his love for the game, has graced us with awesome narrations of his personal quests. It is not like we are holding a PPC to his head and screaming "WRITE AND ENTERTAIN US, BITCH!"
NUKLEAR-SLUG wrote:A wasp can sting you and that just hurts, a hundred stings can be fatal.. and that's before you consider most wasps don't come armed with flamethrowers.
Former Commanding Officer of "Hellbound Handbasket" M7 Panther light Carrier in the mighty fleet of Admiral Leo 'Steve' Kayean.

NUKLEAR-SLUG
x3tc

Post by NUKLEAR-SLUG » Tue, 12. May 09, 21:51

Rednoahl wrote:If N-S does do a plot DiD, the only rule I'd like to see him do is sticking to piloting one races' ships only.
Could do.
masrock wrote:Hey Mr. N Slug.

What spec. Pc are you running the game on?

I'm also guessing that you prefer mouse control to joystick- am I right?
Asus Maximus II
E8600 3.33ghz OC to 4.3ghz
4Gb Geil DDR2
ATI GTX280

Yep, mouser.

fireslide
x3tc

Post by fireslide » Tue, 12. May 09, 23:16

NUKLEAR-SLUG wrote:
ATI GTX280
What?

Love your stories NS :thumb_up:

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 12. May 09, 23:18

NUKLEAR-SLUG wrote:...
Asus Maximus II
E8600 3.33ghz OC to 4.3ghz
4Gb Geil DDR2
ATI GTX280
Nice rig, about the same as mine. Except mine has a Nvidia GTX260. Since when did ATI start making Nvidia cards? :P
Yep, mouser.

Ah, the easy button. That explains a lot. Real pilots use joysticks. :P :lol:

fOSSil
x3tc

Post by fOSSil » Tue, 12. May 09, 23:33

Nanook wrote:Real pilots use joysticks. :P :lol:
Yes, especially real pilots of fictional spaceships in a simulated universe :roll:...

Oh and Slug, maybe just play and if you feel like it, write down your story. I think it could be very useful as a walk through of the Terran plot for newbies. And also I'd like to read your version of the more demanding plots like Hub, HQ and the new Aldrin, which I will never get around to play ;-).

Cheers,
fOSSil

Graphil
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x3tc

Post by Graphil » Tue, 12. May 09, 23:39

I would much prefer seeing a DiD plot the slug way. That is what makes the stories entertaining and so worthwhile to follow.
Plus we could really do with a great walkthrough slug style in the stickies. :)
Graphil

There are two secrets to life: 1) Don't tell everything you know...

Return to “Creative Universe”