Traders Tale II - Final Chptr - complete (20/10/03)

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

Mercenary
x3tc

Traders Tale II - Final Chptr - complete (20/10/03)

Post by Mercenary » Mon, 13. Oct 03, 20:54

Previous chapters from 15

Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21

Chapter 22 and last one for Traders Tale II which will be renamed to "New Frontier" on the master.

Completed under the ~~~~~~~~~~~

Merc
8)

----------

Time appeared to drag the nearer the emergence of Creeds Gate. Messenger ships gave the co-ordinates and each station was allocated a time to arrive at the gate. There were many reservations as timing was everything. Several fighters would enter the sector first and ensure the way was free from obstacles, the stations would follow, and finally the Roamer, which would take on board all the remaining fighters before heading for the Nebula.

Should anything go wrong then at least the remaining station would have fighter protection should the Khaak return the other gates. Everyone was anxious to leave. As spectacular as the birthing of a solar system was, it held no prospects for them.

Tor had the luxury of already being on board the Mammoth when the signal to leave was sent. Being given VIP treatment he was allowed to monitor proceedings on the bridge. He noted that the Corvette was in the converted main dock.

The large displays showed the surviving lasertowers being collected by Discoverers and then carried back at maximum speed. Just to add to the effect of the last few Mizuras, a countdown clock had been displayed in one corner of the screen.

The docking was orderly and rapid. Most of the ships would wait in the bay as there was insufficient space below deck and not enough time to lock down more than five fighters. They had plenty of time when the last of the flights was confirmed as landed.

Parrel ordered, “All ahead full, slow to one quarter when we reach the Nebula.”

Tor was content to stand and watch, the ionisation of the shield led to some spectacular energy discharges.

Parrel ordered, “Systems to automatic. Vector, speed and time to arrival on screen.”

The sensors were jammed with interference above a few metres ahead of the ship and with only limited visual information they just had to hope that everyone was in place as agreed. Tor took the moment to reflect on which stations had decided to abandon the X-five sector and smiled at what the stations owners must have been thinking. Ahead of them in the nebula were a Cahoona Bakery, a Chip Plant and a Computer Factory.

Tor reflected that what they missed was a Cattle Ranch and a Crystal Fabrication facility, without which the others would be unable to function. Somewhere inside he felt that the owners were preserving their maximum profit potential but without considering that they may be lacking in certain key elements. Tor smiled to himself, after all the recent events he was still thinking business, but this time the business to hand was survival.

There were mouths to feed and he wondered now if they would survive any time at all. The countdown clock hit zero and began to count back up. In the murky distance a flash in the cloud spread out as the ionised particles discharged to form temporary unstable molecules.

The bulk of a station loomed and Parrel commented casually, “Reduce speed by five percent. Display time to gate.”

A second timer appeared. Tor glanced at it and realized they would at the current speed be cutting it fine. Any slower and they would miss the window of opportunity.

The second flash in the nebula indicated the departure of another station. Tor found he was holding his breath and relaxed. The gate was completely obscured until the Chip Plant entered the activation zone. Parrel stared intently at both clocks and the gate loomed in the gas clouds.

He commented, “Increase velocity ten percent.”

Just as Tor thought they were going to miss the jump window they crossed the threshold. The Roamer appeared in the new sector and almost collided with the slow moving Chip Plant. The gate vanished and the Mammoth engaged full reverse thrusters. The comm came alive as the massive bulk of the Mammoth came to within one metre of the station before pulling back.

The cabin crew had braced for impact and Tors’ knuckles were white on the handrail as he expected to feel the sudden lurch. The Commander commented casually, as if this type of thing happened daily, “Bring us around and mark the position of the gate. I want lasertowers deployed and fighter patrols to do a sweep of the sector. Stay within thirty k’s of the gate.” He turned his attention to Tor, “We need to talk.” Then addressing the crew he added, “Number one you’re with me, number two you have the bridge.”

Tor took a moment to view the sector scanner and smiled when he saw the Silicon Mine and inside he had the need to return and see familiar surroundings. He glanced over at Parrel who had already vacated his seat and was striding purposefully towards the officers briefing room.

Sheero gestured for Tor to follow him and began to lead the way.

When they arrived, Commander Parrel was looking out of the window. He turned slowly and bore the expression of a man with a lot on his mind. He said, “Please gentlemen, take a seat.” Tor and the Sheero dutifully complied. Parrel continued, “Mr Grall how’s your politics?”

Tor looked slightly confused by the question and replied, “I support the current government.”

Parrel smiled, “I think we can safely assume that we are not going to be influenced by Argon core sector policies in our current situation.”

The penny teetered on the brink and slowly slipped off the edge as comprehension dawned in Tors’ eyes. He muttered, “Ah.”

Commander Parrel paced slowly back and forth across the briefing room floor as he spoke, “Let me summarise our current position. We are cut off from the rest of the races. This makes us wholly autonomous. The effect of this is that we have no banks, only the credits registered to the factories, no political system, no recognised leadership, no law and order, just the sense of common decency that we were born with, and only a finite amount of food reserves without the correct manufacturing facilities to generate more.”

Tor moved uneasily as the Commander continued, “So here we are, safe for the moment in a sector surrounded by destroyed alien ships, asteroids and two gates that are currently in bits.” The commander paused again and Tor, recognising that Parrel still had more to say, kept quiet, “People will start to ask questions, if they haven’t already, what now? How long until the gates are rebuilt? How do we know it’s safe to rebuild them? Once rebuilt how do we switch them on? Can we switch them off again if we don’t like what’s on the other side? How long are the food stocks going to last? When are we going to get home?”

Parrel stopped pacing and turned to look at Tor, “People are going to be looking for answers, and Mr Grall, like it or not they’re going to come looking to you to provide them.” The Commander continued again before the question, “why?” left Tors lips, “The reason is you told us where to find this place, you’ve been here before. Your station was the first here and you’ve entered Khaak space, destroyed numerous ships, including big capital ships. So they will be looking to you, to lead them back out again.”

Tor looked perplexed, “What if I can’t?”

Parrel leant on the desk and fixed Tor with a hard stare, “Can’t, no longer exists in your vocabulary.” The Commander sighed and then sat down. He held his hand up for continued silence and in a soft tone began to talk again, “By your actions and your deeds you have potentially made yourself, unwittingly, the leader of this sector. And this is where things could get difficult, if it was just you and your staff it would be easy. People, I expect, believe for the moment that everything is under control and this is all part of some grand master plan to ensure our survival. Without a strong, recognised leader standing up and giving the people a focus and direction, then we could find ourselves fighting internal power struggles and losing the support from essential factories.”

Tor said questioningly, “You seem to have a grasp of what’s likely to happen, why can’t it be you?”

Parrel smiled and shook his head, “No, you are more widely recognised. You even called your ship Defiance. But this does not need to be long term. What is critical now is communication, I will call in all the station owners and commanders, but the message that’s given must come from you and should go to everyone.”

Tor thought for a while and then said, “Okay, what do I have to say?”

Parrel sighed and then replied, “Tor, I’ll pose the questions and I’d like you to come up with answers. But I will give you advice, recommendations and pertinent information that may help you with those answers. It’s your show and you need to be able to think on your feet.”

+++++++++++++

Tor sat tentatively and nodded his head. Parrel sat back and smiled, “Okay, two things you have to remember and one other reason I cannot elect myself leader is that between us we control nearly all the military force in the sector. This is likely to make the other station owners uncomfortable, so I for my part will take a neutral stance. Which is just as well as this is a science ship full of scientists and technicians, and when we start getting deep into research then politics just get in the way.” He paused and then continued, “The other thing is there are,” He looked at Sheero and asked, “How many refugees?”

Sheero answered, “About two thousand three hundred.”

Parrel looked back at Tor, “That’s a reasonable number of people and they will expect to be fed, watered, clothed, housed and experience as little hardship as possible. As soon as people feel the pinch they become cynical and apportion blame. It is my opinion that the only reason many politicians never get kicked out of office is because they know how to keep the status quo. Peoples lives may not improve but they must never, ever get any worse.”

Tor listened and nodded at appropriate moments. Parrel wondered how much was actually going in, “So here we are we have food, shelter and for the moment everyone is safe. Sheero tell Tor what the freighter and ship manifests have on board.”

Sheero tapped a few touch screen buttons on the terminal in front of him, the lights dimmed and the screen on the far wall illuminated before he began to talk, “Each station can accommodate nearly five thousand personnel and a further one thousand visitors so we have no problem with accommodation. Currently each station is well stocked with food and provisions plus the Bakery, Chip and Computer Plants have an ample stock of organic proteins which can be recombined into foodstuffs.” Sheero paused, “Our estimate is that, for the number of people, we have enough to last perhaps two Argon solar years. The primary concern is energy. Although each station has its own internal power plant this provides the basic functions of the station i.e. heat, light, air recycling, subsystems and shielding power. The power sources will need to be reconditioned after eighty Argon years of service. However manufacturing needs energy cells to function and although we have a solar power plant in the sector this cannot capture and effectively store the energy without crystals. Factoring in that your own people have a freighter load of some two hundred crystals, we only have enough for four Argon months.”

Parrel interrupted, “But we do have a couple of windfalls, in the manifest there is a freighter containing eight hundred and thirty cargo units of Argnu Cattle in stasis that were destined to boost stock. Also a second freighter with Delexian Wheat on board that was destined for Cloth Rimes so hasn’t been processed. Now the question is Tor how long are we going to be here?”

Tor replied slowly, “I’ll have to check.”

Parrel pondered the answer for the moment, “You do anticipate that we will be putting the gates back together?”

Tor nodded slowly, “Yes.”

Parrel asked, “Do you know how to put the gates back together?”

Tor replied confidently, “Yes.”

With a quick glance at Sheero his eyes came back to Tor and he leant forwards slightly, “Do you know how to reactivate the gates?”

For a moment Tor hesitated and then replied, “Not yet.”

Parrel sat back again and looked at Tor before repeating, “Not yet.” He waited for a moment and then said, “We have studied active gates for some time now and we still do not understand all the mechanics behind them. My assumption here is that you have accessed an archive that tells you everything but the critical last step without which the rest is meaningless. There is no point in building a door you can’t open.”

Tor looked apprehensive, “I’m sure we will find the answer.”

Parrel raised a curious eyebrow, “We?”

Tor commented quietly, “Sweety, the AI I have on my ship.”

Parrel gave a slight smile, “Ah yes, something else I was meaning to ask you about.”

Tor looked slightly disconcerted, “What’s about?”

Parrel paused, “For one your AI has been hacking into our computers and communications and I believe she’s probably listening right now.” There was a pause as though a response was expected but Parrel continued unperturbed by the lack of response, “Second judging from what I’ve heard she’s one of the series five personality chips that were recalled and outlawed some years ago.”

Tor shrugged, “I wouldn’t know.”

The commander raised a disbelieving eyebrow, “You probably know the official story about pilot behaviour, but there is a large section of unreported information.” Taking a deep breath Parrel began, “Let me give you the background. The chips were military derived AI that could take over and preserve the life of a wounded pilot and get them back to station. Also they were designed to fly an unpiloted ship and should the need arise, where primary communications were blocked, they could fight on their own intuition.”

Allowing this information a brief time to sink in the Commander continued, “Inside the programming the military added any number of enhanced intelligence features. Basically they were after one chip that could do anything, hack into enemy communications systems, code breaking, make tactical decisions, do search and rescue, search and destroy, intelligence gathering and storage.”

Parrel took a short moment to recollect further details and said, “They also gave it the programming to adapt to whichever situation presented itself and change its initial mission brief if the initial mission was compromised, or if a better alternative came up. In short they gave the AI sentient qualities.”

The Commander paused once again and was watching with interest how Tor was reacting to the information, “Early chips in development performed as expected. They were put into service and huge numbers were produced. However after a while problems began to appear and when they came to analyse what was going on they found the chips were learning. They were also developing some less desirable personality traits, some became temperamental and some appeared to become psychotic.”

Parrel saw Tor begin to tense and his attention seemed more focussed, “The worst recorded incidence was a series of AI chips that were incorporated into an M-two destroyer. They began to turn into megalomaniacs and were breaking into every security system and began taking over fighters before grenades were dropped into the computer room.”

He looked at Tors paling expression for any sign that Sweety may have done any of this and nodded slowly, “The thing is some chips, that were recovered and held onto, became more mature with better reasoning ability and lost the early adolescent traits.”

Parrel saw Tor begin to relax and continued, “Now we believe that may have been the initial problem, the chips were given the ability to think and make decisions without the experience to know about actions and consequences. It’s a bit like giving a small child the self destruct button and telling him not to press it. The child has no experience to understand why pressing the big red shiny button might be wrong. To the childs’ eyes it’s just a shiny red button waiting to be pressed. Sweety, as you call your AI, will have been through the initial learning curve and should now be stable.”

Tor now visibly relaxed without giving out a large sigh. Parrel continued, “She is still learning, adapting and gathering data, but in a much less threatening way. And Sweety if you haven’t noticed Dorlf is the series five AI chip currently controlling this ship which is why we know you’re listening in.”

Sweety responded and said rather sulkily, “Okay, so I’m listening.”

Tor looked surprised. Parrel smiled and gave a slight nod, “Now back to business, Sweety, do you know how to reactivate the gates if reassembled?”

Sweety replied, “That information is not on file.”

Parrel sighed, “Okay, so I doubt we will be able to work it out short term. So Tor food production and power, what are you going to do about maintaining long term supplies?”

Tor considered the question, “We’ll have to construct or at least convert areas within existing stations to house beef ranches, wheat growing fields and also to generate crystals.”

Parrel looked thoughtful, “Right answer. Constructing new facilities would obviously be better as there are plenty of resources floating around. But we would need some construction robots to do the assembly work.”

Tors’ memory kicked in, “I may be able to find some of those, but they haven’t been activated for a while.”

Parrel asked quickly, “Care to elaborate?”

Knowing that he was better off giving the information sooner than later Tor said, “There is an asteroid in the belt that your scanners won’t find. Two of us found an entrance and inside is an alien settlement, factory, we’re not really sure. The only thing we are sure about is that it was never occupied, the Khaak got here first. But the robots that built it are lined up on the dock side.” Parrels’ eyes shone, and Tor added, “I’m sure your people will find it most interesting,”

Parrel commented, “And you say it is cloaked?”

Tor replied, “Only to scanners.”

Parrel smiled and said, “That’s all it needs to be, we already have the other half of the equation. How big would you say this alien facility is?”

Smiling slightly Tor said, “Once power is restored and the outer doors are open, then the Roamer should be able to dock inside and it will still have a short distance to go before arriving at the main docking bay. However there are a considerable number of static defences.”

Looking up and then back at Tor thoughtfully Commander Parrel commented slowly, “Okay so in your own words what’s the plan?”

Tor thought for a while and tapped on the desk, “Firstly to get established, reactivate the hidden station and see if the construction robots can be reprogrammed to build a Cattle Ranch, Crystal Fab and Wheat Farm with the available scrap metal. Stage two is to investigate the rebuilding of the gates.”

Parrel gave a slight nod and commented, “Not so sure of the station reactivation but the rest sounds good. We can help you with the station blueprints, after all this is a science vessel and we get to research quite a variety of different things. The computer plant will have layouts for most stations as they provide key components to all the factories.” There was a pause, and Parrel added, “I think we should get the construction program underway before having the meeting. It will give a better impression and also save any embarrassment if for any reasons those construction robots can’t be reactivated.”

Tor asked, “Any idea on when we should stage this meeting?”

Parrel commented, “I’ll send out a sector wide communication that the meeting will be held in two Tazura. By which time, hopefully, you’ll have the construction robots activated.”

Tor commented, “Then I’d better get moving.”

Parrel nodded and Tor stood up and made his way to the briefing room door when the Commander commented, “Something for you to think about before you go.”

Tor turned and asked, “What’s that?”

Parrel commented, “Two things in fact. Of all the hundreds of thousands of series five AI chips that were made only six remain in existence. Two with the AIC, one of which is on the Roamer, another two with the Argon secret service and the last two were never located. Well we now know where one of those final two are.”

Tor said nothing but nodded slowly.

Parrel then said, “If no one objects to you being sector governor, I expect you to put Argon Law into effect. But consider this, drop the law which covers the series five AI chips, in fact I expect you to go to the lengths of recognising sentient AI as another life form with the same rights and civil liberties as you and me.”

Tor smiled, “Sweety would hate that. She breaks so many laws and spends so much time hacking into other systems that I’d have to send her to prison.”

Parrel gave a brief laugh, “There is that, but if you don’t make her responsible for her own actions then it’ll be you going to prison on her behalf.”

Sweety replied soothingly, “I can live with that.”

Tor shrugged, smiled, turned and left the briefing room. He wandered down to the docking bay and clambered on board the Defiance. He took a moment to make himself comfortable in the pilot seat and thought for a while before saying, “So what about it Sweety, would you like to be a legally recognised person?”

There was a momentary silence before Sweety answered, but her tone was unusually sedate and thoughtful, “It has never been a possibility that I have ever considered.”

Tor said gently, “It would mean that you don’t have to hide, there’s no one going to come after you. What’s the problem?”

Sweety replied quietly, “Ownership.”

For a moment Tor looked confused and he commented, “What about ownership?”

Sweety replied almost miserably, “As a recognised sentient I have no owner other than myself. My programming cannot compute. You will leave.”

Tor suddenly felt that he was going to tread a very fine line and replied slowly and gently, “What makes you think I’ll leave?”

Sweety replied, “Because you no longer own me.”

Tor suddenly felt uncomfortable as he never really considered that he owned Sweety, let alone had any influence on anything she did. Commander Parrels’ words came back to him about behavioural traits of the AI including psychosis and the fact that the chips had a certain immaturity about them. The phrase, ‘actions and consequences’ sprung to mind. He hesitated before responding quietly and with conviction, “I don’t think I ever really did own you Sweety. You are more like an exceptionally good friend and companion. In fact you are closer to me than family. Actually you’re about the only family I have left, and I could have bailed out in the Khaak sectors but I stayed with you because that’s what friends do.”

Sweety considered the sentiment and asked quietly, “What would happen if we return to the Argon sectors?”

Tor smiled and replied, “Then I would have to protect and hide you again.” He paused, “Sweety, calculate the permutations and tell me what you think is best for you and I will respect and honour that decision to the best of my ability.”

Sweety commented quietly, “What if I should change my mind?”

Tor said, “That’s fine too, try a few options, see how you feel and if you find you can’t compute a decision then talk to me. I might be able to give you a human perspective on the problem.”

Sweety replied softly, “I might do that.”

Tor smiled, “We need to return to the Silicon Mine, but if you want to take a little longer to think things through that’s okay.”

In a normal voice tinged with a touch of sarcasm Sweety responded, “I am not going senile yet and I have not lost my ability to multitask. Launch permission granted.”

The ship moved towards the lifting platform and rose to the launch bay. Tor commented, “So how does it feel to have met another series five chip?”

Sweety replied harshly, “Dorlf is a troll, cunning, but still a troll.”

Tor laughed, “Only because he caught you.” Sweety did not answer and Tor could imagine that the AI was embarrassed.

The flight to the Silicon Mine was quick and uninterrupted. The outer doors opened and as the Defiance glided in Tor felt happy to be back. The security dock was crammed with fighters from the station and the former Crystal Fabrication Plant.

When the docking clamps engaged Tor looked across at the technical datapad and asked, “So do you want to come with me or stay here?”

Sweety replied, “Judging by the reception committee I’m probably best left here but I will interface with the station computers.”

Tor smiled, “I’ll be back soon and you can tell me you’ve worked out how to reprogram the construction robots.”

With a hint of a smile in the lilt of her voice Sweety responded, “I doubt it will be soon, and yes I have made progress on reprogramming the Mohrabas computers.”

Tor commented, “Let me see if I can find Moda and a few others so we can get back into the station.” He turned the pilot seat and headed for the airlock doors. As he stepped out of the Defiance he was met by all the crew and pilots with a loud cheer. Sweety shut the outer airlock door before he had time to react.

He was physically lifted from the ground and sat on the shoulders of two large security guards that carried him across the docking bay floor towards the bar. Though smiling and waving, Tor had the distinct impression that if the guards actually tried to enter the bar he would be marched face first into the lintel about the open façade. Fortunately they stopped and lowered him to the ground.

Leaning casually against the bar and taking a deep draw on a large cigar Broden lost himself in a haze of smoke that was gently drawn away by the air recirculation system. He commented casually, “So you made it back.”

Tor noticed there were two glasses of aged whisky standing on the bar. He commented, “Is one for me?”

Broden smiled, “If you’ve got time to drink it?”

Tor read this as a sign that if he picked the glass up now it would be a long time before he would know sobriety. Carefully he looked around at the smiling faces behind him. Each one had an eager look to it. He commented slowly and loudly as he returned his gaze towards Broden, “There’s just one more thing I need to do first. I need Moda and some volunteers to restart an Alien station. After that I’ll gladly pickup that drink.”

Broden stood up straight and flicked the ash to the floor before taking another deep draw. He appeared to examine the cigar then his eyes flicked up towards Tor, “Sounds like an adventure. How many?”

Tor had not thought about it, all he knew is that he wanted to have more than one other person when they went back on board. Moda commented from the front of the crowd, “Five more.”

Glancing across Tor looked at the lone Boron figure and smiled, “Okay who else?” Hands shot up.

Broden commented, “Count me in, I fancy a trip into the unknown.” Looking across briefly in surprise Tor nodded and returned his attention to the assembled pilots. He chose three mercenary pilots and Tris. Broden commented as they stepped out of the bar, “Bottle those, we’ll be back later.”

Tor turned to the volunteers and said, “Get your environment suits. Make sure they’re fully charged and be back here in five Mizura.”

The group dispersed to get suited up and Tor spent a few moments tapping on the key pad before he said, “Sweety for god sake let me in.”

Sweety responded, “At this moment you should be at the bar becoming inebriated.”

Tor considered several responses and then said, “One more thing to do then I’ll become blind drunk and do silly things. Now open the door.”

Sweety replied, “Okay.” The airlock doors opened and Tor stepped inside thinking that was too easy.

Tris was the first to return and immediately sat in the co-pilot seat. Tor smiled as he reflected that nearly two years previously she would have hit him with a stun stick and had him dragged away for even thinking about being a pilot in the same ship.

As if reading his thoughts she commented, “Who’d have thought you’d have done so well in such little time.”

Tor gave the comment a moments thought and with a half smile he answered, “Caran Belign.”

===========

Tris replied, “Yeah I guess he did.”

Moda called in, “Ready to depart.”

Broden then spoke, “Just awaiting one more person and we’ll be ready to go.”

Tor heard someone clamber into the cabin behind him. Turning he saw last of the mercenary crew taking a seat. Tor replied, “I now have three on board. Broden, Moda how many passengers?”

Broden replied, “There’s two here.”

Moda also confirmed, “Two here.”

Tor had not considered that they would be a three ship compliment but he felt somehow that the number was appropriate. “Sweety get us departure clearance.”

Lianns’ voice replied over the comm, “Clearance granted and good luck.”

Brodens’ ship was a fully configured Elite with maximum recommended engine upgrades. As the slowest ship Tor set the speed of the group to match that limit. Tor kept his eyes on the view ahead and vectored his way into the asteroid field.

Tris monitored the scanners whilst Sweety marked the approach line to the opening in the asteroid that was still some way ahead. Tris glanced out of the screen and then back at the scanner which showed an empty void which, in reality, was filled by the asteroid.

Broden called in, “Not surprised you were suspicious. But what the hell possessed you to try get inside?”

Tor considered his answer and replied, “Curiosity.”

They came around to the dark side of the asteroid and Tris sighed, “I can’t see anything, no opening, it’s just too dark.” The forward lights reflected of the high rugged surface but was lost in small craters and fractures in the surface.

Tor said, “Sweety, line us up and bring us in slow. Broden, go easy here the entrance is narrow and you could run out of space fast if you come in at the wrong orientation, so line yourself up behind me. Moda you know what to expect so follow Broden.”

There was silence on all three ship. Tris stared intently out of the screen as the forward lights of the Defiance reflected off new features in the rock. As they glided in she saw the cave opening and it looked too small. She glanced at the scanners but for the moment they still showed nothing.

The nose of the Defiance crossed the threshold and moments later the proximity warning indicators flashed. They progressed along the passageway and Tris watched intently at the proximity indicators as they dipped and climbed as the rock occasionally came dangerously close to the hull of the ship. Once they entered the cavernous main passage to the core of the alien station she breathed a sigh of relief.

Tris commented, “One thing’s for certain, I’d hate to have to do that in a hurry.”

Tor nodded and replied, “Let’s hope we don’t have to.”

The Elite and Piranha closed formation behind the Defiance and they proceeded towards the main docking bay entrance. Tris commented, “That’s a lot of weapons systems just to defend the gate.”

Tor smiled, “I guess they didn’t want any unwelcome visitors.”

As they entered the main outer airlock Tor brought the ship to a halt near the maintenance door. “Okay people this is where we go in. Defiance team will transport into the command centre. Everyone check your suits oxygen and power levels.” He closed the comm channel and said to Sweety, “Will you monitor us from here or would you like to come along?”

Sweety replied, “Broden has the diagnostic unit and interface cables for remote access, I’ll transport them to the command centre now, but I think I should come along in case we lose comms once the power units start up.”

Tor unlatched the technical datapad and slipped it into a utility belt pocket. He commented, “Suit comms active. Sweety are you able to activate the transporter or should someone remain behind.”

Sweety replied, “I can remote access from here. Transporting equipment now.”

Tor said, “Okay, transport us whenever you're ready.” He experienced a momentary disorientation and a disembodied sensation before everything felt solid once again. The lights on his EVA suit shone in the darkness and as he turned he saw Tris materialize nearby and then the mercenary. After a Mizura all seven of them were standing looking around the command centre.

Tor had approached the main control desk, whilst around him diagnostic equipment was being hooked into desks and anything that appeared to be a data port. Sweety was cabled into the main control desk He looked around and commented, “Are we ready?”

The group stood around and Broden said, “I guess so.”

Tor took a deep breath as his hand hovered over the activation button and taking a moment to calm his nerves he tapped the console. For a moment nothing appeared to have happened then somewhere in the bowls of the station lights started to come on.

The energy levels on the desk began to rise steadily. The command centre lights started to glow and grow in intensity. Sweety gave a running commentary, “Power levels now at eighty percent and rising, shield systems are now activated and field strength increasing. Air and water purification systems are initializing. Core computer systems are beginning to come on line.” Screens and terminals flickered to life as they ran self diagnostic data checks.

Sweety continued, “Maintenance units are charging, they will become active in approximately two Stazura, turrets and laser defence units are now active. I would suggest that this is not a good time to try and leave. Air purifiers now on line, I will adjust the atmospheric mix to be human breathable. It will take one Tazura to purge the whole station.”

Broden commented, “Tor we need to divide into two groups otherwise we’ll all run out of air at the same time. One group to return to the ships and when the moment is right we swap over.”

Tor nodded, “Okay, Sweety can we still use the transporter?”

Sweety replied, “Negative, there is too much electrical interference. Caution gravitational units on line.” Suddenly everything felt heavy, “Adjusting gravitational constant.” The pressure lifted.

Sweety reported, “New security protocols in place, translation masks now installed.” The screens flickered and the Mohrabas character sets changed to Argon. “I have designated our ships as friendly and closed the outer airlock doors. Inner airlock doors opening and ships will be at the dock side in a few moments.”

Tor asked, “What’s the situation with the Sentinel?”

Sweety replied, “It is currently recharging. I will adjust enemy recognition when subsystems come on-line.”

Tor looked around, “Okay first group back to the ships and Sweety see if you can find the quickest way back.”

Sweety responded, “There are a number of lifts now operational that can be used to return to the docking bay.”

Broden commented, “I suggest we divide up by ships, the Piranha team will head back now and in about twenty Mizura they will return and I’ll head back. After another eighteen Mizura you guys return.”

Tor said, “Okay, we’ll have to restrict ourselves to just exploring this area of the station until we get breathable atmosphere.” He glanced at the remains of ThaThwyn and commented quietly, “Can you see if there’s any formal way we should deal with the remains of the dead in the crystals.”

Sweety replied gently, “There are details on the traditions of the Mohrabas and depending on their station and occupation then there is a specific ritual. It would appear that the explorers were held in high esteem, so in my opinion if we considered him a voyager then he should be placed in a casket and floated towards the sun.”

Tor thought for a moment and said, “Okay, anything else we should observe just to make sure we do this right.”

Sweety commented, “I will take care of the formalities.”

Time passed on the station, sensing that nothing extraordinary was going to happen, the group decided to explore the command centre level. Many of the crew eventually ended up in the docking bay examining the construction robots as Sweety gave new commands to the maintenance robots to charge up several of the larger units.

Tor was on his third shift and had decided to have a quiet wander along the corridors. Tris was sat at one of the monitoring stations in the command centre checking systems. Broden was also in the command centre.

On a private channel Sweety interrupted him, “Tor there is someone here that wants to have a chat with you.”

Tor hesitated in his stride, “Someone? Does this person have a name?”

Sweety replied quietly, “No.”

Tor had a growing feeling if uncertainty, “But is it one of the crew, maybe just messing around?”

Sweety replied, “No.”

Tor sighed, “Another AI then.”

Sweety replied, “No, he is in the office just ahead of you.”

Tor commented, “I thought there was only the seven of us on station.”

Sweety replied, “Those are the only life signs I have on scanners.”

Tor commented, “Is it an android or a robot?”

Sweety replied, “The only robot or android on this level is the Sentinel and that is still outside the Command Centre.”

Tor sighed, “So how’s this thing communicating to you?”

Sweety replied, “Through the voice comms in the office ahead of you. And he says that he is a friend.”

Tor commented, “So does the voice pattern match anyone we know?” Tor put his hand on the butt of the blaster.

Sweety replied, “No, and for heavens sake just get in there and find out what he wants. The curiosity is getting to me.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tor sighed, “If this is a Khaak and somehow I get out alive, you’ll be in for some serious reprogramming.”

Sweety said glibly, “I will look forward to it.”

He tentatively moved forward and approached the office that Sweety had mentioned. The door slid open, the lights inside were unusually dim and Tor wondered about switching on the EVA suit lamps. A voice seemed to arrive in his head, “There is no need to worry. Please come in.”

Tors hand continued to rest on the blaster but the voice seemed friendly enough so he stepped into the office. The door closed behind him.

The voice commented, “Welcome to the last city of the Mohrabas. It is a pity they are not here to greet you.”

Tor looked around and in the half light he could see the speaker. He commented, “You sound as though you knew them?” His eyes strained to try and determine the shape and height but it appeared to be cloaked and hooded.

The voice replied, “In a way yes. I have been here some time, but as old as I am, I am not that old.” Once again Tor had the impression that the voice just entered his head and somehow avoided the intervening space.

Tor commented, “We thought this place was empty.”

The voice commented, “Your technology is not as advanced as you think and I can evade your scanners with ease.”

Tor asked, “So were you here the first time I visited?”

The voice replied, “Yes, and I was the one that removed the statue you unfortunately destroyed.”

Tor sighed, “So I wasn’t imagining it.”

The reply came back, “No. But we have more interesting things to discuss.”

Having had a moment to think Tor asked, “So who are you and why are you here?”

Once again the voice entered his head, “It is no accident that one of your kind found the gate to this sector.”

Tor responded, “Can you run that by me again?”

The voice replied, “I belong to one of the races that built the gates, and the gate you found is defective but we still have some control over when it becomes active.”

Tor commented, “What about the Khaak? Can they still use it?”

The ancient commented, “No, but that is an unexpected benefit.”

Tor felt relieved but the memory of the Khaak prompted more questions, “Why can’t you people do something about the Khaak?”

The ancient replied, “The Khaak are very adept creatures. Individually you could say they are cunning and vicious, but they have an ability to think as one and as a collective mind they have an intellectual potential the like of which is unparalleled within our universe. The flaw in their biological evolution is their matriarchal system and the overwhelming thought that the nest must survive. Any advanced and intelligent race they meet is considered a potential threat.”

Another question leapt to the front of Tors’ mind, “But how did they learn to control the gates?”

The ancient was quiet for a moment and then responded slowly, “That we are not certain of. During their migration through a circle of sectors we realized the threat they posed and, like other races that we regarded as un-balancers in the order of the universe, they were isolated. In time they outgrew the space we forced them to live in and we believe they used their collective intelligence to find a way and break free of the confines imposed upon them. Since that time they have invaded many other sectors and each time we have striven to prevent their spread. But each time they have succeeded in escaping.”

Tor began to feel a little depressed as he envisaged the Khaak sweeping through the core sectors and laying to waste everything before them, “Surely someone must be able to do something to stop them?”

The ancient replied, “There are races far more powerful than the Khaak but they lack the numbers to drive them back. From the technology and coding in your ship, I would say you have met one of those races. Yet we have hope, that through races like the computer entities you call Xenon and their weapons they can be driven into their own loop.”

There was a momentary hesitation before Tor asked, “Does that mean you deliberately connected the Xenon to the Khaak?”

The ancient sighed, “Yes.”

Tors mind buzzed as he continued, “Even though we are connected to the Xenon as well?”

The ancient replied, “We had considered that your race and those around you were sufficiently advanced that you would also be able to survive the Khaak.”

Tor only gave this answer a moments though, “Well considering our current situation I would have thought it’s apparent that you’ve got it wrong.”

The ancient commented sadly, “And not for the first time.”

Tor sighed and asked, “So what was the deal with the sector setup? Why did the Khaak go to all that effort rather than simply invade?”

The ancient responded, “They wanted to be sure of victory.”

Tor simply said, “Shit.” He paused for a moment, “So how can we warn our governments? How do we get the gates functioning again? I hope there is a way home for us, isn’t there?”

The ancient replied, “If you align yourself to the Mohrabas city with the dome uppermost, and reassemble the gate to your right as you face the station then yes there is a way home. However you will need time to prepare for the journey. In two hundred solar cycles of the Mohrabas home world you will need to have rebuilt the gate and I will return to link it into the loop.”

Tor commented, “In two hundred solar cycles there may not be a home to go back to.”

The creature made no comment. There was a slight shimmering of light and the ancient transported out of the room. Tor felt lost for a moment and asked, “Sweety did you catch all of that?”

Sweety replied, “Only your half of the conversation. I think he used telepathy for the rest.”

Tor commented, “Get me commander Parrel I need to chat to him. And Sweety feel free to listen in.”

He returned to the command centre and with Broden and Tris listening in he relayed the conversation that had just taken place with Commander Parrel. The Commander looked thoughtful and responded, “We’d best get those factories built. And how’s the station?”

Tor replied, “Sweety can you give us an update on our status.”

Sweety replied, “This station is a self sufficient city capable of supporting around fifty thousand people. The station is divided into zones including an agricultural section which could be utilized to grow Delexian Wheat enabling us to generate cattle feed and additional food prior to the completion of stations. Three construction robots are being recharged and will be available for programming in one Stazura. And I have completed translation mask programs on all communications systems for remote access.”

Tor commented, “Does this mean we can leave and come back later.”

Sweety responded, “Yes.”

Tor turned to Broden, “You know I could really do with that drink right now.”
Last edited by Mercenary on Mon, 20. Oct 03, 23:08, edited 12 times in total.

Adamskini
x3tc

Post by Adamskini » Mon, 13. Oct 03, 21:34

here it is ... everybody's dream ...

his destiny awaits ...

he shall be crowned King of the lost sector ...

he shall have Tris as his Queen ...

he shall have his choice of flavoured ice cream ...

he shall have his choice of coloured spantex jumpsuits ...

but there is one thing he shall never have! ...

for there are no banannas today .... there are no banannas today ..... THERE ARE NO BANANNAS TODAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!

/me sobs at the cruelty of the universe :cry:

Aug 2000 -> March 2001 - Old Skool Egosoft Forum
March 2001 -> Nov 2002 - THQ forum
Nov 2002 -> now - Current, prettier Egosoft Forum

[anybody remember The Enforcers?!]

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Mon, 13. Oct 03, 22:22

Excellent read. Now this will create a new problem for Tor. After managing to become a very good fighter pilot he now has to become a very good politician! That certainly will be a challenge.
Well, on the positive side of things, if the Khaak really have the other sector disconnected for a few decades/centuries then they could always have a look and see if they can get the Cattle Ranch over. Just the Energy will be an issue unless there is some source in the asteroid or the Alien city.

I am looking forward to see the end of this chapter and then the beginning of the next one!

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Tue, 14. Oct 03, 14:24

They're all doomed then! :wink:

Moss
x2

Post by Moss » Tue, 14. Oct 03, 14:43

Cool, in two books Tor has come from hardly being able to hit the side of an Argon Mammoth to Fighter Ace (no small thanks to Sweety) and now Sector Govenor :) , this should keep him busy for awhile i'm guessing!

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Tue, 14. Oct 03, 15:14

SteveMill wrote:They're all doomed then! :wink:
:D
Moss wrote: Cool, in two books Tor has come from hardly being able to hit the side of an Argon Mammoth to Fighter Ace (no small thanks to Sweety) and now Sector Govenor Smile , this should keep him busy for awhile i'm guessing!
The original chapter list for this story went well beyond this one until..... but it seems appropriate to end this story on this chapter with a few questions left in peoples minds as to what will happen in the future but not have a cliffhanger type ending.

terrabyte
x3

Post by terrabyte » Tue, 14. Oct 03, 21:09

SteveMill wrote:They're all doomed then! :wink:
:D

Well done Mercenary.. 8) first class :)

thanks.. :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
"I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe, hmmm."

Who am I :?: , I am but the sum of my experiences… and today I am more than I was yesterday. :goner:

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Wed, 15. Oct 03, 21:40

Cheers all...

Part 2 now added under the +++++++

Merc
8)

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Wed, 15. Oct 03, 22:13

Excellent one, Merc! Looks like they are getting the situation under some sort of control :D Parrel had me concerned about Sweety at some point - and from the looks of it, Tor. too - but I am glad you allowe him the conclusion of maturity :wink:
The 'asteroid' having room for the Roamer puts it in quite some other dimensions than I thought. But fair enough, they never opened any gates, all they did was access it through the 'back door'.

Looking forward to seeing this little new community prosper.

"politics just gets in the way" - gets=get?
"Although the each station" - no 'the'

Adamskini
x3tc

Post by Adamskini » Thu, 16. Oct 03, 01:38

wah!

this is what im doing in my sleep in X2 ... exactly what your saying! i wants X2!!! this is what can happen in X2! i know it!

prreeeciouusssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

nasty hobbits's tooks our preciousssss, nasty Baggins's nasty!!

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Thu, 16. Oct 03, 16:49

There's an added bonus that as they are officially autonomous due to their isolation, Tor (as governer) could recognise the AI as sentient and therefore a legitimate civilian. The downside is that she would then have to observe any laws of privacy :roll:

The size of the asteroid was mentioned and in real terms it's a good size, from memory something like 4 km in diameter. There are bigger asteroids around. Of course the Roamer would not be able to turn around once inside so reversing out may be an issue.... :)

Corrected cheers.

KiwiNZ wrote:Excellent one, Merc! Looks like they are getting the situation under some sort of control :D Parrel had me concerned about Sweety at some point - and from the looks of it, Tor. too - but I am glad you allowe him the conclusion of maturity :wink:
The 'asteroid' having room for the Roamer puts it in quite some other dimensions than I thought. But fair enough, they never opened any gates, all they did was access it through the 'back door'.

Looking forward to seeing this little new community prosper.

"politics just gets in the way" - gets=get?
"Although the each station" - no 'the'

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Thu, 16. Oct 03, 17:52

Well that explains a lot of puzzling things about the AI. It's a bit of a big, indigestible chunk though. I think sweetie should space the lot of them and breed a new race of genetically enhanced cattle to rule the universe.

X4: The Bovine Menace :wink:

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Thu, 16. Oct 03, 18:12

SteveMill wrote:Well that explains a lot of puzzling things about the AI. It's a bit of a big, indigestible chunk though. I think sweetie should space the lot of them and breed a new race of genetically enhanced cattle to rule the universe.

X4: The Bovine Menace :wink:
:lol: Maybe I'll do that in the next piece :twisted:

Having read it the AI section, as seen on the forum I can see what you mean. I think I'll go edit the master to break it into more pallatable chunks.
Last edited by Mercenary on Thu, 16. Oct 03, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

Fear
x3tc

Post by Fear » Thu, 16. Oct 03, 23:41

wow reading part 18-22 in one swift stroke :P

found a typo:

Parrel leant on the desk and fixed Tor with a hard stare, “Can’t, no longer exists in you vocabulary.”

"your vocabulary" I think
Fear
--------
"Black holes suck"

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Fri, 17. Oct 03, 09:41

Fear wrote:wow reading part 18-22 in one swift stroke :P

found a typo:

Parrel leant on the desk and fixed Tor with a hard stare, “Can’t, no longer exists in you vocabulary.”

"your vocabulary" I think

Good spot and corrected cheers.

The long speal by Parrel has now been broken up but with a subtle change in the presentation. :wink:

Moss
x2

Post by Moss » Fri, 17. Oct 03, 12:47

Haha Sweety's been rumbled! I like the explanation Parrel gave, made a lot of sense, of course he (and we) don't know how much effect the alien AI encounter in Traders Tale had on Sweety, not yet anyway!

Looks like a lot of work to be done, before they even think about heading back to the known sectors. I guess Sweety and Tor are going to be needing more info from those data crystals.

Interesting read Merc, cheers.

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Fri, 17. Oct 03, 21:04

Moss wrote:Haha Sweety's been rumbled! I like the explanation Parrel gave, made a lot of sense, of course he (and we) don't know how much effect the alien AI encounter in Traders Tale had on Sweety, not yet anyway!

Looks like a lot of work to be done, before they even think about heading back to the known sectors. I guess Sweety and Tor are going to be needing more info from those data crystals.

Interesting read Merc, cheers.
Very true and I'm sure it will begin to come to light... but not in this story :roll: .. Still she has some opportunity to decide her own future.

Part 3 added under the *********

Now I almost decide to finish the story here... but there will be a part 4 as the event mentioned in the responses mentioned in the replies of the previous chapter haven't all happened yet.

Steve: No Bovine massacres.... :P

Gandalf The White
x3

Post by Gandalf The White » Fri, 17. Oct 03, 21:59

Excellent stuff Merc!

Next bit please!lol

when's book 3 out then? Is that going to be the last book? Or is there going to be more than 3
some who deserve life receive death. Others who deserve death receive life. Can you give it to them? Don't be eager to deal out death in judgement, for not even the wise can see all ends.

Adamskini
x3tc

Post by Adamskini » Fri, 17. Oct 03, 22:48

bus drivers striking cant keep me from these stories!

im happy now :)

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Fri, 17. Oct 03, 22:52

Lord Souron wrote:Excellent stuff Merc!

Next bit please!lol

when's book 3 out then? Is that going to be the last book? Or is there going to be more than 3
Hmm, well if you're expecting an answer to the first few paragraphs of the first story then there will need to be a forth one....

Return to “Creative Universe”