SMS query

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Fachtna
x3

SMS query

Post by Fachtna » Tue, 15. Feb 05, 12:23

Playing around with the SMS.

In an SPP, i dont want to pay more than 1684 for crystals, but want the selling price f the crystals to vary depending on stock, as is normal in the deluxe. however, the deluxe also varies the buying price for crystals depending on its stock levels.

Is it possible to set a fixed price for the buying of crystals but have a variable price for the selling of energy cells?

if so, can i have a step-by-step idiots guide on how to do it.

I tried to set the sms configuration to 1684 for the crystal min/max price and when i did, it removed the sms from the station commands list...

cheers in anticipation....

softweir
xr

Post by softweir » Tue, 15. Feb 05, 13:14

SMS ReadMe wrote:If you want to use an additional SMS command (e.g.: Configuration, Logging) while another is already running, you MUST choose another command slot, otherwise SMS will be stopped (it will overwrite the SMS command).
I suspect you used the first command slot to activate the SMS, then used the same slot to configure it - which cancelled the SMS. Might this be the problem? Try reactivating the SMS in the first command slot, then configure it in the second.
My new fave game (while waiting for Rebirth) - Kerbal Space Program

ceogreen
x3tc

Post by ceogreen » Tue, 15. Feb 05, 13:15

From what I remember, once SMS deluxe is started, to change parameters you give the new commands in command slot 2, if you enter a command in slot 1 it will cancel the sms. I'm pretty sure one of the commands allowed you to set a price range for buying selling, however I'm not at my computer with X2 installed so I can't check, hope this is of some help.

EDIT: Guess I was a little too slow on this one :)

Tea Boy
x3

Post by Tea Boy » Tue, 15. Feb 05, 13:48

You did the right thing setting the crystal buy price and sell price to the same amount. Like the other folks said, you need to use a different command slot once SMS is running or you switch it off.

Fachtna
x3

Post by Fachtna » Tue, 15. Feb 05, 14:19

:headbang:

d'oh.

cheers guys

away to asda to see if i can buy a brain :D

JungleJim
x3

Post by JungleJim » Tue, 15. Feb 05, 14:50

My understanding of SMS (and the way I've been using it) is that when you select SMS Configure, you must choose a ware to control and then enter the max & min prices for that ware. To ensure a constant price, just set the max & min prices the same value.

I'm currently trying some pretty complex configurations with Sector traders, SMS, BPH, SMS, Trading station, & Equipment Dock all in the same sector.

I'm trying to build in redundancies, fail safes, open loops, closed loops, etc. into the economy of this one sector. So far things are still running (no flashing yellow) but it's difficult to tell whether I'm getting any better efficiencies out of my factories.

Ultimately what I want is for my closed loops to occasionally sell off any excess products to the AI AND also be able to buy products from the AI when they run low. It'd be nice if my loops also were able to take advantage of good AI prices to buy cheap resources and then sell and equivalent amount out of the loop.

Am I trying to do too much or am I wasting too much time?! I don't know...
Be seeing you,

[ external image ]

ceogreen
x3tc

Post by ceogreen » Tue, 15. Feb 05, 15:02

I would have thought what you want to do is possible. To buy a ware from AI stations if it's cheap se your buy price to cheap and assign a 'buy ware best price' or a bhp freighter, then rather than rely on this use sds to normally supply the station. Similarly for a seller set selling price high with a 'see best price' freighter, then use sds to take the goods to another of your stations. This method obviously isn't foolproof, but it might allow you to do what you're trying. It's also fairly costly to set up so might be worth testing on a small loop or use some spare freighters rather than shell out on a new set of freighters and leave yourself out of pocket.

limbo696
x2

SMS Doesn't Seem to Work

Post by limbo696 » Wed, 16. Feb 05, 18:29

I started to play around with the SMS functions (v3.1a) for my silicon mine. I can't seem to get the standard version to work at all. I select SMS Mini/Standard in command slot one. It asks for maximum and minimum credits and so far okay. However, when I try to set max and min prices for the silicon by configuring the SMS in the NEXT command slot (not the same one), the program always beeps at me after I enter the max price and no command is registered it seems. What am I doing wrong? Any ideas?

Also, I was able to manually generate a log for the station and I got an incoming message with some information. However, the documentation says that there should be an SMS folder with extra log information in the X2 directory. This folder is not in my X2 directory! Is my installation porked, perhaps?

Fachtna
x3

Post by Fachtna » Wed, 16. Feb 05, 22:56

Fachtna
x3

Post by Fachtna » Wed, 16. Feb 05, 23:05

right. doesnt work
i am running the sms on 5 spp's, with the following

command slot 1: sms deluxe
command slot 2: sms configuration, crystals, min 1432, max 1684.

i looked at the command list. only command 1 showing. SMS deluxe

tried again
command slot 2: sms configuration, crystals, min 1684, max 1684.

again, i looked at the command list. only command 1 showing. SMS deluxe

I let it run thinking that it was working properly in the background.
After doing a few banshee missions i checked the buying prices for the crystals. all of them under 1500. not a station within 8 jumps at that price.

The whole point of using this was to be able to set up an spp in a sector where the trade station sells at 1684 and ensure my BPH buying at that price. then set up a crystal fab to sell to the same trade station at max, thus getting the benfit.

My five stations are stiing half full of crystal and ecells, with a BPH transporter sitting doing squat.

So. What am I doing wrong, or is SMS just pants?

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Thu, 17. Feb 05, 00:56

I'll answer both of these in the same place, in the entirely unhelpful manner:
I don't use SMS, I hope someone out there that does can come to your rescue. Try reading through the official SMS thread for answers (that's always a good idea).
It's linked from the index of bonus plugins sticky at the top of the scripting forum.
If you read through that and find nothing useful, and that your questions have not already been answered, make a post in that thread. The author checks that thread. He'll help you out. (or I'll find him ;))
Cheers.
"Nature's first green is gold" . . . stay golden.

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Thu, 17. Feb 05, 02:38

I've got it running on two factories and found it to be completely useless. Maybe I'm not using it right but it doesnt seem to do anything beyond what I was already doing ?!

Fachtna
x3

Post by Fachtna » Sun, 20. Feb 05, 23:39

actually, once you set your pricing, its not too bad.
takes all the need to micromanage your factories and manages itself in relation to the resources in the station

eg. an spp
set your low and max buying on crystals and thats it
if it has a lot of crystals in stock, it will lower the price it is willing to pay. saves you money as there is no point paying top whack when you have a stock already

it will adjust its selling price too dependand on how many e-cells it has. although, even with 4798 cells in stock, i havent seen a price lower than 17cr. suits me.

Carl Sumner
x4

Post by Carl Sumner » Mon, 21. Feb 05, 04:30

command slot 1: sms deluxe
command slot 2: sms configuration, crystals, min 1432, max 1684.

i looked at the command list. only command 1 showing. SMS deluxe
The command to set up the prices runs and sets local variables in the station, then it exits. The main script keeps running and uses the variable values. So the above is correct. 8)
Tinker

"If engineers built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization!"

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Mon, 21. Feb 05, 06:49

Thanks Carl,
I hate getting questions I can't answer :)
Good to have you around.
Cheers.
"Nature's first green is gold" . . . stay golden.

Carl Sumner
x4

Post by Carl Sumner » Tue, 22. Feb 05, 03:06

Thank you! :D
Tinker

"If engineers built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization!"

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”