Problem opening tBullets.txt in X3 Editor 2

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Farnham's Legacy

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

Scoob
x4

Problem opening tBullets.txt in X3 Editor 2

Post by Scoob » Sun, 21. Aug 22, 14:25

Hey all,

I'm attempting to modify various things in X3FL and have run into a snag. I've successfully installed X3 Editor 2 and have extracted the files TBullets.txt, TLaser.txt and TShield.txt to a separate location ready for editing. I can readily open all of these files in X3 Editor 2, with the exception of TBullets.txt. TBullets.txt is saying that TWare is missing. Now, my 10+ year old memory of X3 Modding suggests that I need TWare.txt to also be extracted so the X3 Editor 2 software can give the "friendly" names in the text editor. However, while there is NO TWare.pck in the 04.cat archive I'm extracting from, there are several TWare*.pck files, where * is B, E, F, M, N and T. Extracting each of these still doesn't appear to give X3 Editor 2 what it needs to open the extracted TBullets.txt file. I might try simply renaming one, to "fool" X3 Editor 2, but that might not yield useful results.

I've checked all .cat archives 01 through 06, and none contain the TWare X3 Editor 2 says is missing. Is this simply an incompatibility with FL - i.e. FL changed something with how these files work / how they're named - or something else? Just want a little guidance. I used to be perfectly comfortable with X3 editing as I created a number of mods (for my own use, but some were use as a basis for other people mods) where I changed the stats of Ships, Weapons and Shields to my own preferences.

I will continue tinkering, but any advice is welcome. Recalling 10+ year old knowledge, when certain unknowns have perhaps changed is doubly-challenging lol.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Re: Problem opening tBullets.txt in X3 Editor 2

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 21. Aug 22, 14:38

Specific Tware files for different ware groups are not new to X3FL. An overview of script and modding changes in X3FL can be found in the survival guide here. There's also an updated version of X3 Editor 2 available here.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Sun, 21. Aug 22, 14:51

Thanks for the reply. I'm using that version, but I appear to be getting stuck where guides don't help. I've read several now and they just talk about opening the Tfile with the T File editor but that simply does not work for me with TBullets. Basically, all the guides don't appear to address this specific issue, as I'm guessing no one else gets stuck at this point.

Note: I recall being able to freely edit TBullets *within* the archive - updating it in effect - but always chose to extract and edit, creating (ultimately) my own mod. When trying to edit the extracted TBullets.txt with the T File editor in X3 Editor 2 failed, I went back to try the in-archive method and that fails too. I cannot see what I'm doing wrong.

If anyone knows what X3 Editor 2 is trying to tell me with the message:

Error loading TWare files:

File does not exist.

I mean, all the TWare files from the archives are extracted, but X3 Editor still thinks something is missing. Even when editing within the archive. I've gone through ALL archives - 01 to 06 - and none appear to have the file that the Editor thinks is missing. Editing TBullets with X3 Editor 2 used to be dead simple, but something is broken here.

Note: I do get an error when launching X3 Editor 2:

There was an error while creating Virtual File System for path
'D:\Games\X3 Terran Conflict\Addon2':

Could not find a part of the path 'D:\Games\X3 Terran Conflict\Addon2\addon'.

Note that last 'Addon' ISN'T present in any of the paths in X3 Editor 2's "Path to game" settings, so it's added outside of my control. Accessing and extracting files still works fine, but I wonder if this has any impact on the issue.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Sun, 21. Aug 22, 15:22

Ok, I've found the issue. It's a problem with X3 Editor 2 NOT recognising my file path.

My game path is:

"D:\Games\X3 Terran Conflict"

with the Farnham's Legacy data in the subfolder "\Addon2".

With file paths set up correctly in X3 Editor 2, it doesn't work. There appears to be a hard-coded element that looks for "\Addon" which breaks the file structure.

I created a COPY of the game folder, and renamed Addon2 to just Addon and everything works perfectly now.

Basically, X3 Editor 2 does NOT actually use the paths it says its using in the Configuration settings under "Path to Game". Whatever path I add - even made up ones - it's adding an extra (hidden) "\Addon" to the path it looks for. So, in my case, my correct path of "D:\Games\X3 Terran Conflict\Addon2" would allow me to see the various files for FL just fine, but it'd be trying to use the spurious "\addon" path when looking up dependant files when trying to use the T File Editor. It even did this when ALL files were extracted to .txt!

I wonder if me using the no-Steam.exe along with a custom file path (Not Steam) is what's confused things? I've always used no-Steam (or no CD) .exe when available, and haven't encountered this issue previously.

So, I can no readily edit TBullets *within* the archive, I'll go and test extracting the files again now. I really don't know why that didn't work before, as they're all in a Types folder on my desktop, totally outside of the game's file structure, so why X3 Editor 2 got confused there, I don't know.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 21. Aug 22, 16:00

in the X3 Editor, make sure you create the correct game profile. Make sure the game version is set to X3: Farnham's Legacy. Then point the path to the root of the game. if its adding "Addon" it means the game version is set to Albion Prelude

should look like this:
image_2022-08-21_161133117.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Mon, 22. Aug 22, 15:07

When I saw I was using the latest version - as shown earlier in the thread - I assumed all was well, I was unaware of this patch. I see now what I need to do in order to get the "Farnham Legacy" Option that wasn't previously present. My work-around works, but it won't be needed if the hard-coded path is correct. I will update.

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy - Scripts and Modding”