X3 - Its Release state - Egosoft - And us, the consumers!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

HxCHarry
x3

Post by HxCHarry » Mon, 12. Dec 05, 14:22

fireflyry wrote:
HxCHarry wrote: You can sit on your pc and post whining and throwing a tantrum over mistakes that happened and it'll acheive nothing.
Wrong...it achieves...

It's been posted all before.
Egosoft know that alot of people aren't happy with the game. There's no point filling the boards with 'my game doesn't work/is bugged/I hate you egosoft you sold us out'
Because this is all old news to egosoft and the criticism has been expressed before.

You need to realise that customer complaints and constructive criticism are very much a part of that process
A process which has already been set in motion thus making the posters comments on the game pointless.
If he had something else to say beyond what alot of people already did when they got the game then it would help. But he's just regurgitating the same rants as the other people before him
Egosoft don't need reminding that alot of people still find it hard to play the game, or just have it lying on a shelf.
He contributed nothing to Egosoft at all.
The fact that the manual couldn't be shipped is old news.
Egosoft aren't holding it back as a marketing ploy or to annoy people. If they haven't released the manual to download yet then it means they're bogged down with something of a higher priority.
If you have a working copy that runs fine yay for you.Why are these boards then so full of unhappy customers who cop endless grief from the minority that don't have issues.
I mentioned very early in my post that I don't have a copy of X3 and won't be buying one till January. (As I'll be getting a new computer set up)
The reason they get endless grief is because they're not helping. You can talk about how much criticism helps companies and I'll agree.
But Egosoft have already recieved 90% of the criticism that people post on here. That's why they've been releasing new patches to satisfy the players since X3 launched. Posting a complaint once it's already been taken on board and will be in the pipeline to resolve doesn't accomplish anything but fill up the board with useless posts.
You have a working copy so you hav'nt been ripped off.Hurah for you all.Many don't and it is our right as paying customers to complain.
Why do you think you've been ripped off?
The poster got his game for $40, that's approximately £22 where I live. Most new games go at about £35-£40 which is $60+

The fact that he got it for $40 means either one of two things.

1. He just got a cheap deal. If he bought it in the UK when it first came out he'd be looking at paying more. I'd hardly consider it a ripoff to get a game for less than normal price when new and have to wait for some patches. It's not ideal, but the game is getting more functional with each patch so he hasn't just bought a deadweight. He merely needs to exercise more patience, take it on the chin and be more wary with Egosoft in the future.

2. He waited to buy it. In which case this information about the bugs and patch issues would have been availible on this forum and in reviews, both in print and the internet. So if he didn't research the item then that dilutes his being 'ripped-off'
It's our right as an un-happy customer to complain
That doesn't mean you're obligated to. Or that doing so will actually acheive something and contribute.
Like I said before, I agree that complaints and criticism help Egosoft craft the products into better ones. But what he said and what most complainers have said about the game have already been covered and taken into account.
If you post in all the threads saying how much you think the game was a rip off because it didn't come with a manual and Egosoft already know alot of people feel this way. Then you've just spammed the forum.

fireflyry
x3

Post by fireflyry » Mon, 12. Dec 05, 14:34

HxCHarry wrote: That doesn't mean you're obligated to. Or that doing so will actually acheive something and contribute.
Great attitude.

Firstly..it does actually.If you were correct patching would'nt even exist would it?

Secondly look at the actual veiw rate of threads with complaints as opposed to "X3 is so great and works fine on my rig" then do the math.

Thirdly you hav'nt even bought the game yet!I mean no offense but how can you validate your comment when you hav'nt had the problems many have with X3.

Knowing Egosoft X3 will eventually be a great game.Constant pressure/criticism by their customers proved as much with X2 and the MOD community and I'm confident they can do it again.

History tells a different story sorry.

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Mon, 12. Dec 05, 14:39

Given that it's the same discussion, and this thread is still fresh, I've merged them.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

AjRyder
x3ap

Post by AjRyder » Mon, 12. Dec 05, 14:40

I just want to say it great to have a NEAR copy of ELITE. Its the next best thing ive been playing games like this since I was a KID and that over 25 years ago KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK :x3:
Star Trek Phase II watch new episodes now at

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com

My computer is fast very very fast ;)

Follow me on Twitter @Formula1Dragon

Jams79
x4

Post by Jams79 » Mon, 12. Dec 05, 16:19

HxCHarry wrote:It's been posted all before.
You're right it has, the boards were in almost as bad a state after X2 was released, many of us thought they might learn from their mistakes (more fool us).

The thing a lot of people seem to forget is that most of the people complaining care about this game as much as the people praising it. I love this game, the thought of what it could be gives me a warm little glow, but even now with all it's faults it's still one of the most compelling games i own (frustrating as hell but compelling).
HxCHarry wrote:The poster got his game for $40, that's approximately £22 where I live. Most new games go at about £35-£40 which is $60+
I also live in the UK and i managed to get this game (preordered) for £18 from play.com but so far as i'm concerned how much the game cost me is irrelevant, i paid money, my money for this product that gives me a right to complain if i'm not happy, granted i'm not obligated to but the choice is mine. Why should i keep quiet just because my opinion might have been voiced by someone else earlier (if this was the tech page then fair enough they shouldn't be cluttered and one post on a problem should be enough).

mk20
x3

Post by mk20 » Mon, 12. Dec 05, 19:58

This is my first "X" game and I must tell you I'm not overly impressed. I was looking forward to this because nowadays games in this genre are few and far between, and while I'm new to the "X universe" I'm certianly not new to the genre - Sundog: Frozen Legacy (Atari ST circa 1986) - Elite - Privateer - etc... To me this seems like a poorly executed attempt at Independence Wars 2:Edge of Chaos (now that was a good game)

This is one of those games that you're either going to love or hate or maybe both at the same time. This game had so much potential but it's flaws are many.

Perhaps 3DRealms (ok bad example...no one should have to wait 10 years for a game but you get the idea) has the right idea when they tell the Publisher and fans "WID"

NarcissusG
x2

Post by NarcissusG » Tue, 13. Dec 05, 02:21

mk20,

If you are unable to return the game and get your money back ... don't despair.

X2 was released in a pretty horrid state also (although not as bad as X3 :o ) ... it took them a while, but eventually they finished the game up quite well. While I wish I could get my money back for this title, I can't so I'm hoping for the same treatment that X2 received.

You said that you see a lot of potential in the game but that it has so many flaws ... well then, I would like to suggest X2. With the 1.4 patch and the bonus scripts ... it is one heck of a game. I haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure that you could get a pretty cheap copy off of Ebay. There are a few small additions that were made to X3, yet the games are very similar (there were also many good things in X2 that were left out of X3). If the best graphics ever aren't your biggest concern ... that would be my advise.

Take care and good luck,

Narcissus
www.TaleWorlds.com <--- Indie gaming at its best.

Jurobi
x3tc

Post by Jurobi » Tue, 13. Dec 05, 03:01

[I'm certianly not new to the genre - Sundog: Frozen Legacy (Atari ST circa 1986) - Elite - Privateer - etc... To me this seems like a poorly executed attempt at Independence Wars 2:Edge of Chaos (now that was a good game)]

mk20,

I played all those, too. Starting with Sundog on the Apple IIe in 1985 (I think, it's been 20 years). I fully recommend X2. It beats Edge of Chaos, and is far more open ended. Just download the patches, mods, and bonus plugin pack and you can create your own game. In the US you can still find it in the bargain software at Gamestop or Hastings.

Then after all the patches are out, come back to X3. It will eventually be as good.

And if you still want some of those older games, look around [in stores].
-----------------------------------------------------------------
[Edited by TD]- Careful... abandonware in any case is illegal,
which is what most of these games now are. You walk on
a thin line when talking about them.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Tracker001
x3tc

Post by Tracker001 » Tue, 13. Dec 05, 03:04

Manual ?
What manual?
Oh you mean this nice coster for my coffiee
that Ego sent along with the game.
Ya I'LL eventually get around to reading that.
Useually after weeks of play. frezze. Play Frezze
And more PLAY :!:
Set up my Saitek X-45.
Start hitting butten's \ key's
and see what happen's
OH Great ---Just shot that Curser . Now the Fun begens.
:lol:
I use manuals for the reg: code.
Games are not hard to figure out.
I don't think I'v ever read one cover to cover as I should.

fireflyry
x3

Post by fireflyry » Tue, 13. Dec 05, 06:17

Jams79 wrote:The thing a lot of people seem to forget is that most of the people complaining care about this game as much as the people praising it. I love this game, the thought of what it could be gives me a warm little glow, but even now with all it's faults it's still one of the most compelling games i own (frustrating as hell but compelling).

....i paid money, my money for this product that gives me a right to complain if i'm not happy, granted i'm not obligated to but the choice is mine. Why should i keep quiet just because my opinion might have been voiced by someone else earlier (if this was the tech page then fair enough they shouldn't be cluttered and one post on a problem should be enough).
Excellent points.

I posted my concerns for the first time yesterday after reading these boards and being a paitent customer for several months, very much content with observing from the side-lines.

Yet after posting in several threads devoted to such concerns yesterday in a relatively civil manner I was still amazed at the response by many to STFU and stop complaining about valid concerns as a customer.

Just as many, if not more, repeat and rebutt with the mantra "X3 is already awesome so shush you".

Anyone smell the irony?

I was not rude and had the term "no offense intended" in most posts yet recieved some rather heated responses.

It's not a flame war and valid crtiticism should have it's place here free from being labeled as another whiner with no point.

Again it's my right to voice MY individual concerns as a paying customer regarding this product, is that the customers fault?
So they are the same concerns as other customers...the right to MY say still applies especially when so many here mearly post "X3 suks poos!!" or some other bollocks.

It's personal choice to tear a valid complaint apart, especially if you are'nt experiencing the same faults.

If your copy works as intended and smooth as silk yay for you.Would'nt it be slighty more constructive, not to mention fun, to go play it?

We all want the same thing here after all.

:D

DarkLordoftheSith8969
x3

X3 great game but saw the bugs coming

Post by DarkLordoftheSith8969 » Tue, 13. Dec 05, 14:59

Started with X2 nearly a year and a bit ago took it straight home if it just didn't p*&^ me off ran like a headless chicken till I downloaded the patches.

As soon as I got the release dates for X3 in oz I headed straight to the EGOSOFT site and had both the pathes for the game before I brought it, installed it and so far no bugs. :D :D :D

Feel the true power of the darkside

People are only as dumb as they think they are.

ajw2255
x3

Post by ajw2255 » Tue, 13. Dec 05, 15:01

Yeah U need the patches to get the most out of the game
Destroy the mothership and the cards will fall like a stack of dominoes. Checkmate

DarkLordoftheSith8969
x3

Post by DarkLordoftheSith8969 » Tue, 13. Dec 05, 18:43

Excellent post tells both sides of the story and fills some of the gaps for those of us that are a little ignorant of these matters. The way you so cleverly displayed this in your epic post was fantastic respect.

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

come luke you will either join me or die

OutSane
x3tc

Post by OutSane » Tue, 13. Dec 05, 19:06

*ahem* Rant/

am i the only one seeing hyposcisy flowing like water over niagra falls? We got people stating on one thread that Ego is nothing but scammers ripping people off ect ect ad nausea... then they post how they are fighting for the ood of X3 (cuz they love the series)

you know who you are and your are all imbecils (this aint aimed at anyone personally just the stupidity behind the entire argument)

EGO made the game, you like X3 or X2 or Xbtf then you like ego, no ego no game PERIOD. It aint perfect but face it X3 is a borderline budget title (out of curiosity how many people are staffed by Egosoft?) as with any budget title it aint gonna be perfect, but this budget title has one teeny tiny difference, they are gonna activly patch it, if you dont like it fine...dont play it.

As for the inevitable "I paid $30-60 for this and want my money back/worth"

for gawds sake listen to yourself i spend more going out and getting drunk and damnit i may not remember it the next morning, what im saying is there are much more idotic ways to waste the money, really is it that much money? if that seems like alot i got some advice, make a really big purchase it will give you perspective (i got a car $30-60 will pay for gas and a wash and i may have enough left for a light snack, thats in one week or less)

if you are poor you shouldn't be wasting your money on games and if money aint an issue get back in your SUV and run over the CDs (all 6) and have some fun with em.

some people are far too interested in insulting the game and its creators when they really could be helping by making suggestions (IE: perhaps alternatives to the commonly accepted ideas, perhaps instead of assasination missions somthing else?) Ego is a strong supporter of this game and im certain they are not sitting in ivory tower cackeling like some 60s movie villan.

PS: i propose we lobby for a spellcheck in the forum...that or spelling lessons for me
AMD 3700+
128Mb Radeon 9600
2GbRam
300Gig HD

Jams79
x4

Post by Jams79 » Tue, 13. Dec 05, 19:19

OutSane wrote:snip... if you are poor you shouldn't be wasting your money on games and if money aint an issue get back in your SUV and run over the CDs (all 6) and have some fun with em.

snip...

PS: i propose we lobby for a spellcheck in the forum...that or spelling lessons for me
Our money our choice.

I was gonna say a lot more but your ps made me laugh so much i calmed down ;)

Pcorn
x3

Post by Pcorn » Tue, 13. Dec 05, 19:33

So many people wanted to love X3, and were so disappointed.. 8)

Incidentally I didn't lay a finger on my installed game until I had the first patch. I also have to say that, apart from the frame rate going to slideshow in a XI mission and the Yaki pirate attack in CBSW I haven't noticed any bugs either.

But I still favour the side of criticism because even after 1.3 we'll probably only get about 2 thirds of what we were actually promised in X3 as an overall game.

People have a right to complain, and they don't have to be constructive about it - as long as it is not insulting or derogatory to members. Even I agree that it's tiresome seeing so many "This sucks I want my money back" threads, but I don't hold it against people because they have a right to blow off if they want to. It's not like this is the first time this has happened with egosoft.

At least the book works fine... ;)

Tracker001
x3tc

Post by Tracker001 » Tue, 13. Dec 05, 19:44

OutSane wrote:*ahem* Rant/
As for the inevitable "I paid $30-60 for this and want my money back/worth"

for gawds sake listen to yourself i spend more going out and getting drunk and damnit i may not remember it the next morning, what im saying is there are much more idotic ways to waste the money, "

Been there, done that; " Monday morning; Spent the
whole check?? -Dam-

Agree totaly ; There is a diffrence between "Construtive Critazizum"
And Complaining"
" Con-struc- tive. Root Construc. Like to build
IMprove. make better . ; Struc ; like structure.

Complaining ; Waaaaa, boo, ho, with no point. or help.

Good Idea I vote YSE. hehhehehe
And some day I'll figure out how to use the "QT" properly.

Perseus-dark

X3 strains

Post by Perseus-dark » Tue, 13. Dec 05, 20:56

While i hate to speak badly about this game, i think it has to be said. The strain it puts on your computer is absolutely ridiculous, there isnt even an option to run on low graphics as such. Since it has to be in 32 bit. I find this quite annoying because my computer isnt exactly old, its using a 6800 Ultra (geforce fx that is) card is an 2600xp (athlon) running at 2.2ghz with a gig of ram and hardly any applications running or installed. I just think that it would of been nice to have less graphics, a more usable interface and a bit more of a plot. My only quary really with the graphics is that well, i find in most fights i cant actually kill my target because theres usually around 25 - 40 military ships fighting plus me and maybe 4/5 pirates. I cant even dent their shields due to the fact it lags so much due to the large military force. Even being able to remove all the crap small fighters that buzz around and simply replace them with fewer stronger ones. (military ships that is) Because bandanna says in the beggining "the fleet is down to 30% of its overall strength" yet i see more ships now than in X2 before the massive conflict.

Anyway i know those of you who have it working wonderfully wont care about this rant but any ideas which processor n ram to upgrade to, i heard they where the bottle necks. I was thinking maybe..... a 4K athlon and a gig of 400 memory or better.
Dark
Who needs speed when you have 2000 tonnes of argon one behind you?

Player.
x3tc

Post by Player. » Tue, 13. Dec 05, 21:00

Did you read the lastest news? :roll:
(New Graphic option more FPS ect...)
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=183585 - X2 The Threat High Definition Mod - You know you wanna :)

kalrus
x3

Post by kalrus » Tue, 13. Dec 05, 21:07

More FPS.... God i hope soooo... my game is getting slower "i swear".... My graphics seem to be going on strike.... and my mouse must be putting on weight cuz i swear its getting slower, Hehe.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”