X3 TUTORIAL - Starters controls Mission 1 & 2 Walkthrough

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Apocholypse
x3

Post by Apocholypse » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 01:38

Clearly I didn't mean you genius :lol:

I ment for the people who played X2!!!

mbv
x3

Post by mbv » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 01:42

Just seemed kinda out of context in this thread seeing as it was for new users who would be unaware of the X2 interface. But thanks for the compliment :lol:

Middenface

Post by Middenface » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 09:10

Am I the only one who thinks this should be stickied alongside Giskard's guide?

Before this post I was all for sending the game right back to play.com

After reading this post I now have a good idea of the basics and am really enjoying the game :)

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 10:40

Middenface wrote: After reading this post I now have a good idea of the basics and am really enjoying the game :)
Glad I could help :) Certainly makes the effort worthwhile ;)

Adept Kilrain
x3

Post by Adept Kilrain » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 13:38

This tutorial has turned X3 from a nonstarter to a fun KEEPER of a game! The joystick I bought especially to play X3 has been consigned to the bottom drawer--the mouse control is THAT good. I've even gotten used to the lack of cockpit :D

Chips, you have turned the disastrous lack of newbie tutorials around with this thread.

Can I ask one thing more of you though? I need your "Build Your First Factory" tutorial. Where do I buy such a thing? I think maybe I should start with the solar power station of something? How?

Thanks so much for all your help.

Middenface

Post by Middenface » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 18:30

Bump for a great post - will someone please sticky this for the love of all that is n00by :D

(I figure if we keep gtelling Chips how good he is, he might do some more of these guides lol :wink: )

SpookM
x3tc

Post by SpookM » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 18:39

Still cannot get past the Mission 2; but aprt from finger trouble I have noticed on my last couple of attempts that the laser energy bar during the "more difficult" parts is not reducing; i.e. no laser fire. Other parts easy enough, any thoughts?

... rest of it looks great, when I can get to it.

Scoobie
x4

Post by Scoobie » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 22:14

I had exactly the same problem - The gun just would not fire at all, however I solved it by setting my graphics settings to 'Low' (from the initial game menu before clicking "Start X3") With the higher FPS I was able to fire and track fine. :wink:
Take Care & Have Fun,

Scoobie

NZ-Wanderer
x4

Post by NZ-Wanderer » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 22:24

I sorta said this in another thread, but it bears repeating in this thread..

Great guide for newbies and old time X2 players alike :) :)

You and Giskard are doing the community a great service in your endevours :)
Link to the list of Mods working in X4-Foundations and also Link to the list of Mods working in X-Rebirth

NOTE: I play with a modded game, so any reports I make outlining suggestions/problems/bugs/annoyances, are made with mods installed and running.

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 23:00

a helpful tip:

to close any open window quickly, or to undock quickly from a station, press 'del' (not backspace, the other delete button :wink: ) - to undock you may need to press it 2 or 3 times to close windows and then undock.

This was in X2, but from some posts on the forum new peeps dont know about it.
"I find your lack of belief in the Three Dimensionality disturbing." Mercenary

"So getting this chick back is more than just getting a chick back. It's the concrete manifestation of an abstract policy goal. And we like concrete - right, Vic?"

Red wine...the only way to frag

Fleshrend
x3

Post by Fleshrend » Mon, 31. Oct 05, 11:05

this is a fantastic guide, please put this as a sticky instead of that other engrish sticky guide pile of crud :)

flakrat
x3

Post by flakrat » Mon, 31. Oct 05, 23:54

Great post, where's the sticky? Looking forward to playing the game in 2 days :-)

hrett
x3

Post by hrett » Tue, 1. Nov 05, 03:27

stickiefy
Blindly going where no man has gone before...
AMD64 3500+, ATI Radeon PCI Express 850XT 256, 2gig Corsair Ram. My hard drive is crap though. ;)

nitebot
x3

Post by nitebot » Tue, 1. Nov 05, 03:53

Just wanted to add some help for quick docking for a distant object.
Spoiler
Show
Double click object with LMB, which kicks in autopilot and then press J (for SETA). Your ship will then be sent off to dock as fast as possible. Don't press another key whilst flying as that turns SETA off but you can just press J again.

You can also direct autopilot to target by clicking LMB once on target and then pressing U. If you hear 'command not accepted' then move mouse to move the targetting graphic and press U again.

Also, it sometimes pays to turn off autopilot when trying to get past an asteroid or big station/ ship right in front of you. Autopilot can be long winded with its twisting and turning when all you have to do is fly off at say 90% for a bit and then turn back on course.

Hope that helps
Nitebot!

darkfireeye
x3

Post by darkfireeye » Tue, 1. Nov 05, 22:46

Well first of all thanks for the guide!!! Really good one!

I'm one of those players that are totally new in the X-Universe and I started a normal game ... thought I could get allong a bit with the storyline ... but well ... Well did not imagine that they let you get pretty far through the galaxy in the first missions.

Many things I figured out allone somehow ... with alot of trying and almost giving up, but since I found out how to accellarate time :wink: :D things got easyer and well I guess I mad the mistake following the story without earning money (only have 6000Cr) ... I learn that too ....
Spoiler
Show
But I'm really stuck now, cause I think I'm at the 3rd or 4th mission (after you had to win the race in freedoms reach and then located the frind in Ore) Now they keep telling me I have to find a someone (don't know who) to upgrate somthing for a lisening divice .... well I have no Idea where that is (where I have to doc or wish system). The Name of that guy did not ring a bell and cause of that I allready forgot it :?
Can someone help me here? ... I guess I will try to trad and get some money and frighters after that mission ... could not know as beginner that I'm not suposed to follow the storyline! (even had the feeling they based the missions on knowlage from the frist 2 games ... well not that beginnerfriendly ... I personally don't like to have missions where I don't know where to go or what to do ... that does not meen I'm not into exploring and finding out for myself!)

Well and X3 is a great game ... wouldn't still stick with it and having had all this troubles and Problems where I :evil: ... well ollmost gave up cause the unsermanule could not help really!

Well sorry for so much writing and my bad english ... (its my second language)!
Would be glad if someone could help me out with finishing that mission!
THANKS!!!! (and maybe far in the future ;-) a walthrough for all the missions would be great, to just peak a littel when you are stuck as beginner! hehe ...)

[added spoiler tags--PJK]

nitebot
x3

Post by nitebot » Tue, 1. Nov 05, 23:18

Darkfireeye, I would edit your post and use the spoiler tab for the plot info you give - too much info. :)
Nitebot!

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Tue, 1. Nov 05, 23:31

darkfireeye wrote:upgrate somthing for a lisening divice ....

If you check your messages via the menu (Enter), personal, and then messages tab - you should see the last message, which tells you what you are supposed to be doing ;)
I think (can't remember at the moment) that you are supposed to:

Spoiler
Show
See Ban Danna on the Argon One. Fly to Argon Prime, Argon One is a capital ship, which you should be able to find on the system map (tab for ships). Target the Argon One, then fly within 8km's of it, and press your "C" button (if targeted), which will open up the communications window. Click on Ban Danna's name to kickstart the dialogue.

fusion23
x3

Post by fusion23 » Wed, 2. Nov 05, 04:25

I don't understand. I start in argon prime go north then west, then south then south again when I arrive in cloudbase southwest, when does the storyline start, im never contacted by anyone?
Your base are belong to me.

Intel i7 920 OC @ 3.2Ghz
Asus P6T Deluxe v2
6GB DDR 3 Corsair XMS
Nvidia Geforce GTX 285

darkfireeye
x3

Post by darkfireeye » Wed, 2. Nov 05, 10:40

thanks!!!

Will try it tonight :wink: still at work ... LOL
Spoiler
Show
But I had the problem, that my last massage still tells me to meet with that second priest in Ore (but I saw the cutsceen (communication window) allready) ... Strange ...
Could that be a bug?

Oh and sorry about not using the Spoiler ... will do from now on!

With the problem at Argon Prime (first mission:)
Spoiler
Show
Did you start a game with a storyline? I belive it is just the first 3 you can choose when you start a new game! (Esay, Normal and X-treme) all the other once tell you in the discription that you will not have a storyline!
Wenn your game starts you should get automatically a messe from Argon One About your mission and father! Well tells you to meet with the patrol ... after you passed the first gate you should turn around ... the patrol is waiting for you I think a littel bit west from that gate (you should automatically target the captain when you enter the system.
Well hope that helps ... still myself a newbie :roll:

X-Batfink
x3

Post by X-Batfink » Wed, 2. Nov 05, 13:03

Excellent Post. As a total newcomer to X or any space sims I nearly gave up until I found this post.

Should be stickeyed. :wink:
X-Batfink

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”