Why is the X3 copy protection such a big secret?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Jasper
x4

Post by Jasper » Thu, 27. Oct 05, 16:31

While I understand the publisher feels the need to protect their investment, I also feel the need to protect mine.

Starforce in the past has messed up my systems, I do and have run raid/scsi disks in the past. So I am very reluctant to let them have any more shots at my system.

But the need to protect my investment really hit home two nights ago when my CDROM drive decided it was time to die in a major way. When I placed my cd in the drive, the drive made a horrid grinding noise and literally broke the CD into many many pieces. Luckily it was not my new X3 CD which I have not received yet.

I ordered the CDROM version from Gogamer, we will see what protection scheme it has, hopefully one that will let me protect my investment, not just in money but also my time.

Jasper

Zanchito
x3

Post by Zanchito » Thu, 27. Oct 05, 17:22

I had a CD explosion once too. Mechwarrior 4. Since then I always make backups (it is legal here as long as you own the original, of course).

Barred
x3

Post by Barred » Thu, 27. Oct 05, 17:25

In reply to the threads title "Why is......."

I now have the answer :)

To take peoples minds off the bugs :evil: :twisted: :evil:

Da_Junka
x3tc

Post by Da_Junka » Thu, 27. Oct 05, 18:49

Zanchito wrote:Thank you so very much for the information! :)

I guess it was to be expected that DeepSilver would use Starforce, I read somewhere they had a contract for so many titles or somesuch, so they don't really have a choice anyways.

So, I wanna preorder from Enlight as soon as possible, but i'm in Europe. Does anyone know how to do it? Any online shop that would send the american version here? I fear Amazon will just deliver the british version.

Thank you in advance. :)
I will be ordering the Enlight un-starforce-virus version from the link below. I have used them often and are totally reliable.
http://www.sps-systems.co.uk/index2.htm

Deep Silver must be barmey daft up a tree to use SF, don't they know how many sales they are about to lose?
~Intel i5 2500K ~ Nvidia GTX 670 ~ Z77 chipset ~ 16 gig Vengence ~Win 7 64bit ~

Stealth
x2

Post by Stealth » Thu, 27. Oct 05, 19:19

To shortly comment on the Starfarce interview's summary: The article's author needs a reality check. FreeSpace and Fallout didn't drop out of the bin because of the massive clonin of the games, that was the mess created by Interplay who weren't competent enough to keep the game studios running. The number and quality of games did diminish, but NOT because of piracy - it's because of the lack of imagination, innovation and creativity in the game studios - after all, there's only so many FPSes you can create without having a worn-out story with high graphical content and zero replayability.

The moral of the story is, don't take things at face value, especially in this case. I've been a gamer since the days of the old Commodore 64 (both tape-drive and FDD) - that doesn't give me much leverage in saying I know best, but I've witnessed some of the finest moments in game development. Rare came in the past two/three years, and copy-protection's not to blame.
Last edited by Stealth on Thu, 27. Oct 05, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

MiSP
x3tc

Post by MiSP » Thu, 27. Oct 05, 19:19

Da_Junka wrote:I will be ordering the Enlight un-starforce-virus version from the link below. I have used them often and are totally reliable.
http://www.sps-systems.co.uk/index2.htm

Deep Silver must be barmey daft up a tree to use SF, don't they know how many sales they are about to lose?
They are? They don't show... The site looks really amateur-ish!

Shintai
x3tc

Post by Shintai » Thu, 27. Oct 05, 19:53

The interview with the starforce makers lacks quite a few things. no wonder..it´s a commercial push. Also when checking I haven´t seen any starforce game NOT cracked yet.

However I don´t favour piracy, and I wont do it myself. However when a X3 crack comes out I will use it on my original installation and remove the starforce drivers.

Starforce have still some serious issues with anything that is between an application and the files. This is usually seen as AV programs and other tools. Starforce is always behind and there is always alot of things it´s incompatible with.

Also the second part is more future oriented. When I tried looking for patches for my pre SF v3.5 games I can´t seem to find any, cept for 1 game. It´s the developers that need to make these patches, not the starforce makers. And updating the drivers alone doesn´t do the trick. So I have a few useless games with SF protection now, since they will never get to work on my x64 Windows. Tho the games without starforce protection would work just fine. But hey..a few cracks solved that issue.

My point is, why do we LEGAL buyers always get screwed :(

Starforce is a blind faith protection, it usually only buys them hours. SecuRom7 seems to be alot harder than SF. And they don´t have drivers that mess up your system and prevent any future changes.

Anyone know if Enlight is for release in the US only? Else it could be alternative as second copy so you didn´t need a crack to remove the SF infestion.

DJSoulJammer
x3

Post by DJSoulJammer » Fri, 28. Oct 05, 04:23

Damn even here Deepsilver suply the game , hmmm use the removal tool for SF . :twisted:
I don't think diferent ,..... i think same , just in diferent way .... :)

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Fri, 28. Oct 05, 04:39

just want to point out mention or condoning of the use of cracked exes is against the law in the hosts country and consequently explicitly against forum rules.

:roll:

sq_paradox
x4

Post by sq_paradox » Fri, 28. Oct 05, 04:49

Shintai wrote:SecuRom7 seems to be alot harder than SF.
Ah, but Securom 7 is brand new, and has definently taken a page out of Starforce's book. It is just as highly invasive, even though it doesn't install drivers. Most people I with both I have heard talking it say that Securom 7 is worse then Starforce. If you want some proof go to the relicnews.com forums and look at the amount of trouble people are having getting Dawn of War: Winter Assault to work. It claims the game installation is "corrupt", and it all stems from the copy protection.

However, unlike Starforce, I haven't heard any instances of Securom 7 breaking anyones computer; so it does have that on its side.

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Fri, 28. Oct 05, 04:57

sq_paradox wrote:
Shintai wrote:SecuRom7 seems to be alot harder than SF.
Ah, but Securom 7 is brand new, and has definently taken a page out of Starforce's book. It is just as highly invasive, even though it doesn't install drivers. Most people I with both I have heard talking it say that Securom 7 is worse then Starforce. If you want some proof go to the relicnews.com forums and look at the amount of trouble people are having getting Dawn of War: Winter Assault to work. It claims the game installation is "corrupt", and it all stems from the copy protection.

However, unlike Starforce, I haven't heard any instances of Securom 7 breaking anyones computer; so it does have that on its side.
Funny how a GAMES WORKSHOP game is one of the first to use the newest COPY RIGHTPROTECTION software. :roll:
10,000 Lightyears of awesomeness

Duriel_LOP
x4

Post by Duriel_LOP » Fri, 28. Oct 05, 06:31

Bye Bye Mr Topic!
HAR HAR HAR, It be here!!!!

"There shall be wings! If the accomplishment be not for me, 'tis for some other. The spirit cannot die; and man, who shall know all and shall have wings..." - Leonardo da Vinci

Scarecrow
x4

Post by Scarecrow » Fri, 28. Oct 05, 06:37

It always seems to end this way doesn't it?

Any discussion of piracy and/or bypassing the cp is strictly forbidden.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”