Still no sign of cockpits

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 12:34

I must admit, I feel completely naked without my cockpit.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 12:36

esd wrote:I must admit, I feel completely naked without my cockpit.
Is that a good thing or a bad thing? :p
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 12:38

The_Abyss wrote:Is that a good thing or a bad thing? :p
Bad.... the vacuum's freezing my unmentionables. :P
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

JustCookie
x3

Post by JustCookie » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 12:55

esd wrote:
And we all know what happens to our unmentionables when they get a bit chilly. :o

neverko
x3

Post by neverko » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 13:30

I'm sure if this issue is beaten like a dead horse, until the topic reaches 100 pages, cockpits will be made for X3... or maybe not.

Darkon
x2

Post by Darkon » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 14:31

They have never mislead about that, they have always clearly stated that there would be NO PLANET LANDINGS. Find it hard to believe you will complain about something that was clearly stated from the start that would not be a feature.

They personally think it won't add a single thing to the gameplay element (if I am remembering rightly, but without search I refuse to go digging up the relevant threads!). I personally think it would be great, but there we go.
I never said they said it was going to be in, I just meant to show that this series has so much potential, so much untapped potential.
For me planet landing are not a game breaker, it would just add to the atmosphere, and would really make me more willing to buy the game.

Just for the record, not having cockpits is a game breaker!

Greb Jnnayr

Post by Greb Jnnayr » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 14:52

Darkon wrote:
They have never mislead about that, they have always clearly stated that there would be NO PLANET LANDINGS. Find it hard to believe you will complain about something that was clearly stated from the start that would not be a feature.

They personally think it won't add a single thing to the gameplay element (if I am remembering rightly, but without search I refuse to go digging up the relevant threads!). I personally think it would be great, but there we go.
I never said they said it was going to be in, I just meant to show that this series has so much potential, so much untapped potential.
For me planet landing are not a game breaker, it would just add to the atmosphere, and would really make me more willing to buy the game.

Just for the record, not having cockpits is a game breaker!
Ok then, bye. See you when X4 gets released.
Home built System
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2GB PC2700 Ram
BFG Geforce 6800 GT OC 256MB
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
300GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache HD
DVD +/-RW

Darkon
x2

Post by Darkon » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 16:22

Ok then, bye. See you when X4 gets released.
See you then. :P

simonnance
x3tc

Post by simonnance » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 16:25

moving from my Buster to my capped Nova, i missed the unrivaled view of space that you got without the obstructions of parts of the ship.

To be fair, i hardly noticed the change from cocpits to non, i spend all my time looking outside the cockpit anyway, unless im looking at the indicators, and those are still there and improved so i have no complaints!
want the FACTS about X2/X3?
Usenko wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think animals have their place in the scheme of things. It's just that in the case of sheep, cattle and pigs, their place happens to be in neat pieces under the griller.:-)

DaphydTheBard
x3

Post by DaphydTheBard » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 17:26

WHY WON'T YOU PEOPLE LET THIS GO?!?! :P

When I first heard about the no-cockpit thing I was annoyed, very annoyed :evil:

However, having played the game for a week or so now, I don't miss them at all. Not one bit.

Ok, maybe a little. :lol:

Lise
x3tc

Post by Lise » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 17:46

I miss em a lot.

Everytime i take a space walk and look back at my humble buster I think about how amazing it would be if it had a cockpit, with the curved glass subtly reflecting its exterior surroundings like my dear old MIG did in MIG Alley back in '99.

In my opinion - having your view cut down by cockpit architecture makes the exterior graphics more precious - who needs to see *everything* all the time anyway?

Its like a girl bein more sexy when she's partially clothed...so i hear.

son of cronus
x3

Post by son of cronus » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 17:58

I was upset to when I heard, but I think its better now, you have a better view. Also the new hud system with all thoses little targets and ships etc would be pretty usless with a cockpit wouldnt it?

I do wonder though, why a ship with no cockpit view, clearly has a cockpit from outside?

anyway, who cares the game is fun. The End.

Lazerath
x4

Post by Lazerath » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 18:27

esd wrote:
LoL.. Poor guy..

You could always protect your unmentionables like I have. Put them in a jar for safe keeping :D :P
COMPUTER SPECS
[Mobo] SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
[CPU] AMD FX-9370 8 Cores 4.4 - 4.7GHZ 16MB DDR3-1866
[Cooling] Corsair Hydro Series H80I CPU Cooler System
[Video] Evga 970 GTX SC 3.5Gb Ram ==> [Ram] G-Skills Ripjaws X 16GB
[Harddrive] (2) x Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD
[Harddrive] Samsung 840 Series 120GB SSD ==> [Harddrive] WD BLACK 1TB 64MB 7200RPM
[Disc Player] LG 14X BLU-RAY BURNER ==> [Case] Thermaltake A71 Chaser [Windows 7 Pro]

J Cubed
x3

Post by J Cubed » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 20:17

neverko wrote:I'm sure if this issue is beaten like a dead horse, until the topic reaches 100 pages, cockpits will be made for X3... or maybe not.
As someone who is new to the community and yet has only played the stinkin' X2 DEMO, I have to admit that the lack of a cockpit is a discouraging mark moving me in the direction of X2 instead of X3. So, here's my contribution towards reaching page 100! :rofl:

In any case, I'll be happy with whatever lands under the Christmas tree. 8) If neither X game makes it there, then I'll check to see if patch 1.3 is out, yet, and make my personal choice based on what it fixes (incl. cockpit / HUD features and performance improvements).

CobraMacius
x3tc

Post by CobraMacius » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 20:55

Egosoft have explained why they decided to do without the cockpits, according to their BETA TESTERS, they prefered the new interface and HUD to the cockpits.

Imo this was a mistake, Beta testers don't represent the majority of the paying public, the X series have been known for its particular difference to the norm, cockpits have certainly been a part of it, BUT i can totally understand that designing 60+ different cockpits (or whatever the number is) is very intensive and time consuming.

In X2 there was a compromised between this cost of production in limiting cockpits to the different series, so all m4s shared the same cockpit etc, now this was a let down for many of us, but we lived with it, to be fair imo it was better than no cockpits.

It certainly would have helped if they used the new HUD (a more graphically intensive one) to describe how all the races had reached agreement on a new pilot interface (command module) that would be used on all ships.

The current HUD although carrying all the needed info is very unattractive, it does not carry from the beauty of the artwork involded in the ships, since this was going to be only "one" HUD , Egosoft should have really made it spectacular like some of its past competitors came close with.

Needless to say, i dont play X2 as a first person shooter, a cockpit would be very desirable to add to the atmosphere of the game.

As i've mentioned before, its the little things that add up to make a game great.

Lord KiRon
x3

Post by Lord KiRon » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 21:25

I want cockpits back !

I mean it doesn't have to be always visible , switching between 2 views would be fine.

(Btw: where are logos, mining , station interior and such fun stuff from X2 ? I thought X3 was supposed to be step forward from X2 not step backward !)

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 21:45

CobraMacius wrote:Egosoft have explained why they decided to do without the cockpits, according to their BETA TESTERS, they prefered the new interface and HUD to the cockpits.

Imo this was a mistake, Beta testers don't represent the majority of the paying public... [snip]
Again, with the beta testers. Let me put your mind at rest: I was and am a beta tester. I wasn't asked whether I liked it with or without cockpits.

In fact, The_Abyss' first post in this thread (on page 1) was how I found out that cockpits weren't going to be in the game. I just thought they were a work in progress until I read that.
PGP fingerprint: FA3D CA2F 38D3 BA69 87E1 D52E C204 FB5C 430A 0BFA

Darkon
x2

Post by Darkon » Fri, 11. Nov 05, 09:51

Brianetta wrote:
CobraMacius wrote:Egosoft have explained why they decided to do without the cockpits, according to their BETA TESTERS, they prefered the new interface and HUD to the cockpits.

Imo this was a mistake, Beta testers don't represent the majority of the paying public... [snip]
Again, with the beta testers. Let me put your mind at rest: I was and am a beta tester. I wasn't asked whether I liked it with or without cockpits.

In fact, The_Abyss' first post in this thread (on page 1) was how I found out that cockpits weren't going to be in the game. I just thought they were a work in progress until I read that.
Brianetta, I glad you shared that with us.

So basically when Egosoft said that the Beta testers 'voted' and said they prefered it without Cockpits, what they were actually saying was, none of the Beta testers were asked whether they liked it or not, but since none of them complained in a loud and extravagant manner they must agree.
Wow, there logic rivals the gods!

Needless to say, i dont play X2 as a first person shooter, a cockpit would be very desirable to add to the atmosphere of the game.

As i've mentioned before, its the little things that add up to make a game great.
Well said, and I definitally agree, the root of a great game is in the details.

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Fri, 11. Nov 05, 10:08

Darkon, there were many beta testers, so there might well have been feedback. It certainly didn't come from us all, though. Additionally, I don't remember Egosoft telling anybody that they put anything to the vote. Are you sure that whoever said this was actually speaking for Egosoft? Bear in minds that the forum moderators are not necessarily Egosoft.
PGP fingerprint: FA3D CA2F 38D3 BA69 87E1 D52E C204 FB5C 430A 0BFA

cmd craven
x4

Post by cmd craven » Fri, 11. Nov 05, 10:16

I dont know if this have been mentions before (have to read 82 pages) but this reminds me of the new helmet virtural interface that are been installed on todays fighters. allowing them to see through the ship and aim, target lock and shoot by turning their head.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”