Still no sign of cockpits

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

DJSoulJammer
x3

Post by DJSoulJammer » Sat, 22. Oct 05, 16:16

Man i definitly LOVE this view !!!! :roll:
I don't think diferent ,..... i think same , just in diferent way .... :)

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Sat, 22. Oct 05, 16:27

I agree. Good choice! :thumb_up:

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Sat, 22. Oct 05, 16:48

Or rather, I'll move this one into the Cockpits thread and leave a shadow here on the forum. :)
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Boronshark
x4

Post by Boronshark » Sat, 22. Oct 05, 16:50

Oh good grief, I can't believe people are so hung up on cockpit graphics!

I remember in XT, most ships had a unique cockpit (see here) http://pages.eidosnet.co.uk/~trinityholdings and as much as the cockpits in X2 were disappointing in comparison, so were the modular ship designs. Superior graphics, gameplay and scope took precedence over ship design and cockpits.

If anyone remembers the X-Wing series, you had two cockpit views, one realistic with superstructure, instrumentation and glazing. Then you had a second with nothing more than a crosshair and HUD. The first one was very pretty to look at and fun to use for about 15 seconds but I for one always used the HUD view.

Yes, in an ideal world Egosoft would design cockpits for each individual ship in X3 and I think they would agree with that. Unfortunatley we live in the real world and concessions have to be made sometimes.

I love the X-Universe games, I've played them since X-BTF was released in 1999. The X2 ships and cockpits were horrific, I'd rather have no cockpits than badly drawn, inaccurate and irrelevant ones.

X3 has been on pre-order since May this year, I look forward to it's delivery next Friday and I for one can't wait to play it.
Core i7-4770K 3.50GHz (Haswell) - HyperX Beast 32GB PC3-17100C11 2133MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 760 Gaming Edition 4096MB GDDR5

Renegade87
x4

Post by Renegade87 » Sat, 22. Oct 05, 17:02

Boronshark wrote:
Yes, in an ideal world Egosoft would design cockpits for each individual ship in X3 and I think they would agree with that. Unfortunatley we live in the real world and concessions have to be made sometimes.
Completly agree, Why would a ship need cockpit displays, I mean you would think they would have the tecnonolgy to display everythin through the HUD. The views seems really good makes it feel more like you are there

rosetta1963
x2

Re: Cockpits and stuff

Post by rosetta1963 » Sat, 22. Oct 05, 17:38

Bernd wrote: Let me give you some screenshots to demonstrate how you can still sit inside a cockpit and look around:

Argon Nova:
[ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ]

Split Superfreighter:
[ external image ]

Hope this cleared up what we really did.

Cheers and have a lot of fun playing X3!

-Bernd Lehahn, EGOSOFT

No offence,but yuck.

It just doesnt look right,seems like your sat on the hull.

Thanks for saying why we wont be geting cockpits though.
Now.....what else is gone from X3 in the corner cutting ? :wink:

Azzkicka
x3tc

Post by Azzkicka » Sat, 22. Oct 05, 18:42

I haven’t been following this no cockpit debate at all but I was just looking at some of the pictures that Bernd posted and I must say I don’t like the views at all.

It just looks like you are sitting on top of the ship in space. Although reading his post it does sound like a good trade off of having very detailed and unique ships rather then them all looking and feeling the same becuase they have the same 5 cockpits.

softweir
xr

Post by softweir » Sat, 22. Oct 05, 19:12

It isn't perfect, but if it's a choice between having good cockpits and having good ships then I'll take the good ships any day!

Maybe some of the modders could make some really good cockpits and add them, and if there are enough of them then they could be collected together as one, big download.

(If anybody bemused by the fuss over cockpits wants to see a real storm of protest, then they should go over to the The Elder Scrolls Oblivion Forum and look at the threads about Spears. They decided to take out spears, and all the people who liked the idea of stabbing people with a spear (whether they actuall used them or not) instead of a sword are up in arms. Page after page, thread after thread. Makes this thread look like a muted grumble!)
My new fave game (while waiting for Rebirth) - Kerbal Space Program

magic8
x3ap

Re: Cockpits and stuff

Post by magic8 » Sat, 22. Oct 05, 22:41

Bernd wrote: Let me give you some screenshots to demonstrate how you can still sit inside a cockpit and look around:

Argon Nova:
[ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ]

Split Superfreighter:
[ external image ]

Hope this cleared up what we really did.

Cheers and have a lot of fun playing X3!

-Bernd Lehahn, EGOSOFT
Bernd, thank you very, very much for sharing your point of view.

I do not share your view. Those picture of your cockpits are looking strange to me. I am looking forward to a x3-demo which convinces me otherwise. thanks again for posting!!!

thomas
Yes, I love playing X with cockpits - This Space is for Rent

Slugworm X
x3

Post by Slugworm X » Sat, 22. Oct 05, 23:34

This has been said before, but this fighters cockpit is quite a way up the tail, hench the raised "sitting on the hull" look. Other fighters will be different, such as:

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/736/73673 ... 50345.html

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/736/73673 ... 80874.html

Make up your own minds about this, but look on the bright side, everything else seems to have improved. I dont have the game but am positive Egosoft has not let down its customers.

My opinion only.

Slugworm X

Alfred Bester
x3tc

Post by Alfred Bester » Sat, 22. Oct 05, 23:49

I applaud Egosoft on their choise! Unless they had ten times the artistic staff and a platoon of aerospace engineers and NASA's annual budget they coulnd't possibly have pulled off what they probably have and still add meaningful and unique cockpits.

Those who keep ranting no-cockpits-screw-this must have had a pretty shallow X2 experience if all they noticed were their generic overlays, and X3 is then probably not their forte. :wink:

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Sat, 22. Oct 05, 23:59

Props to EGOSOFT for making great games with and without cockpits. 5 days till I get my preordered copy. Whoohooo! Peace.
Last edited by Deleted User on Sun, 23. Oct 05, 00:08, edited 2 times in total.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sun, 23. Oct 05, 00:03

Sorry to say this TrebligC, but seeing the way you post I'm so glad you didn't start posting right when you joint :wink:

Scarecrow
x4

Post by Scarecrow » Sun, 23. Oct 05, 00:07

Let's play nice now.

shasla5
x3

Post by shasla5 » Sun, 23. Oct 05, 00:10

He deleted his post? How cowardly.
PC specs: Athlon 64 4000+, Geforce 7800 GT 256 MB, 2048 MB PC 3200 RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM, 500W, nForce 4 SLI dual PCI-E.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 23. Oct 05, 00:10

abester wrote:generic overlays (in X2)
True, all those 'readouts' were bogus. Except that gravidar on the table of big ships (TL at least). A really nice touch IMHO. Unreadable, but still nice.

Things are different, if one has genuinely 3D cockpit, with real data and controls shown. Reflection on the dashboard of that Kyon ray that did miss ...

I rather have something that I can get from a shop, say this month, and which does run with acceptable fps on my machine. If I yearn for fuel level, compass, and artificial horizon, there are other games.

I can always close my eyes and feel the cockpit and that poor Khaak on my six. Even without using the force :wink:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Sun, 23. Oct 05, 00:12

Naw not cowardly. Just the right thing to do. I was venting and shouldn't have. Mightysword was right.

spaceshark
x3

No cockpits?!?

Post by spaceshark » Sun, 23. Oct 05, 00:16

I think what the pro-cockpit crowd is trying to say, and I'm on of them, is really why go to all the trouble of making these great realistic graphics and then suspend reality by riding your ship like a jet-ski in space? It just isn't
a) Realistic
b) Conducive to great ship to ship combat.

Going this direction takes a space sim and makes it an arcade game. I am an old hand at this so maybe it's my bias playing games like Privateer(and anyone remember Space Rogue by Origin, many eons ago) that's coming up here. I was really excited about this game but no cockpits? Don't think I could enjoy a space/flight sim without them. Even if there was only one generic cockpit better than riding 70 diffrent eye-candy surfboards through space. My $.02.

jlehtone
x4

Re: No cockpits?!?

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 23. Oct 05, 00:23

spaceshark wrote:a) Realistic
... to have fragile windows and view-obscuring opaque struts instead of virtual reality cave inside the cockpit that carefullly portrays the space outside your ship?

Hard to say, haven't been there :cry:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Da_Imp
x3tc

Post by Da_Imp » Sun, 23. Oct 05, 00:32

The first "space sim" I've ever played was Elite.
I played the whole Wing Commander series until Prophecy, had a go at both Privateers (still have 2 somewhere on CD), played all the X-wing and Tiefighter games, and the funny thing is:

I absolutely loved the cockpits in the X-wing series. Fact is you were only able to fly a hand full of ships, so it was easier on the developers to add them.

I absolutely _hated_ the cockpits in X2. They only got in the way of my vision, the lights flashing all the time almost gave me spasms, and they were kind of bland compared to the excellent graphics of the ship hulls.

I absolutely didnt mind the 3rd person view of Freelancer. I still felt immersed in it all, even though there was no cockpit at all.

The only way to know if X3 retains its immersion without cockpits is by playing it. Commenting on it without experiencing it first hand is rather pointless imho.

If you really like cockpits and wont play a game without them, don't buy the game. Don't blame the devs for not making the game _you_ want. It's their game after all, their piece of art as I might say. I think we should be glad Egosoft listens to the community's input as much as they do.

Again, to each his own. If you know no cockpits put you off, don't buy the game or wait for the modding community to add them. If you're disappointed but want to give it a try anyway, you might be surprised (or disappointed even further, but thats the risk of everything). Else just buy the game and play it :P

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”