X² - The Threat - RELEASE DATE NEAR and PRE-ORDERING!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

oolon
x3tc

Post by oolon » Sun, 19. Oct 03, 15:38

Its funny, when I look at the pictures I fail to see whats so bad about them, so they might be wrong, but it doesn't affect my game play. Of course captured video is different for me, and now I cannot watch any TV program without checking for glitches and artifacts.... Which just goes to prove knowing to much about something CAN affect your enjoyment of it, I point them out to my gf and she does even see them when watching the same program.

James

-TD-13-
x3

Post by -TD-13- » Sun, 19. Oct 03, 18:24

I've seen about %50 of those errors, the rest just amaze me because I have never seen anything like them while playing. I'll take a closer look tonight. The major ones I noticed was docking and detail on stations. Oh and the planet with the rings in the planet, that really bugged me too. Very nice post though, alot of work went in to that. And it really showed XTs clipping errors well. Although I think you can get a better picture of the sector circle thing. I think Atreus Clouds had a bad one..... can't remember....

Frigonius
x2

Post by Frigonius » Sun, 19. Oct 03, 19:21

oolon wrote:Its funny, when I look at the pictures I fail to see whats so bad about them, so they might be wrong, but it doesn't affect my game play. Of course captured video is different for me, and now I cannot watch any TV program without checking for glitches and artifacts.... Which just goes to prove knowing to much about something CAN affect your enjoyment of it, I point them out to my gf and she does even see them when watching the same program.
Well, it's "bad" in the sense that it takes me out of the experience. One moment you're flying around in your Argon Buster, the next moment you realize you're sitting in a bunch of polygons which get distorted through the background. I can't stress enough that I did enjoy the game itself a lot (an understatement actually).

It still would be a good thing if these errors aren't present in X². As you, oolon, don't notice anything in XT, X² will definitely be flawless for you. And a person like me which was slightly annoyed by these errors, will finally shut up about clipping :wink: ...
TD005013 wrote:I've seen about %50 of those errors, the rest just amaze me because I have never seen anything like them while playing. I'll take a closer look tonight. The major ones I noticed was docking and detail on stations. Oh and the planet with the rings in the planet, that really bugged me too. Very nice post though, alot of work went in to that. And it really showed XTs clipping errors well. Although I think you can get a better picture of the sector circle thing. I think Atreus Clouds had a bad one..... can't remember....
Yes, there are better examples of the noticable sector seams/circles (Split Fire is also a good one), but I was kind of in a hurry (a post had to be typed too, you know :roll: ). I must say that I've played X-Tension a lot in total darkness (hey, you can forget the time while playing :D ), and then it's especially noticable. When you put the gamma-control way down, or you play with surrounding light, it's harder to see.

It's nice to hear your reports. It amazes me that some of you only have a fraction of these errors. Maybe it has something to do with the resolution ? I play it in 1024*768. I've tried a lot of things, but I can't test the really high resolutions like 1600*1200. Maybe the ships are relatively smaller then, so they don't overlap with parts of the stationwall that clip through it ? Just guessing.

And yes, it took some work to make the whole post - a free saturday afternoon, to be precise. It's no fun though to speak negatively about a game that you love :( , but I really wanted to show the point that I'm making ...
"Don't mind the mess, mess the mind !"

Lorien
x3

Post by Lorien » Mon, 20. Oct 03, 23:47

Shouldn't this still be a sticky?
Things I've procrastinated on...

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Tue, 21. Oct 03, 00:37

Lorien wrote:Shouldn't this still be a sticky?
That's just what I was thinking.... maybe as it's gone well off the thread they're gonna make a new one - or maybe it's to stop new people being confused by the release dates?
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”