X2 Vs Freelancer.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

darkmaster
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue, 28. Sep 04, 15:14
x2

Post by darkmaster » Thu, 21. Oct 04, 09:36

Mightysword wrote:So from what I gather, we want something like this:

- Action like Freelancer.
- Deep and strong game play like X2
- Tactical combat both on space and plantary like Imperium Galactica (which remind me you guys never mention this game :? )
- Super Empire builder like X2.


So...Do you think we will ever get a game that has all those element, I'll pay 100$ for it :lol:
You forgot what the thread started for:
- More explorable space (not sectors, space within a sector!) in a more sparse environment (space stations, spaceships...)
- More realistic Flight Speed (Ehi, Wing commander ships travel at 30000 Km/s!!)
-More realistic Communication system (8.0 Km?!?! Less than a walkie talkie!! My CB transmits at over 200Km sometimes, and I'm not in the straight line of space...)
-Planet Interaction (landing, commerce, missions, NPC interaction...)
-Intersystem travel between planets and Sun)
-Cruise Speed (that doubles your speed but disables weapon systems...)
And so on... ;)

Asp40
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue, 28. Sep 04, 20:34
x4

Post by Asp40 » Thu, 21. Oct 04, 10:08

Ironicly, Freelancer was the reason I bought X2.
I hadn't played a space-sim since Elite, and I got a trial version of Freelancer with a computer mag.
I thought I'd try it, and enjoyed playing through the plot so much that I was itching for a sequel. (I found that once you'd played the story line through, there realy wasn't much to do in Freelancer. Trading is not very interesting and fighting gets repetative. Your only aim seems to be to get better ships.)
Anyway, whilst reading reviews etc. to find out if a sequel to Freelancer was comming out, I heard a lot of people talking about X2, and how much bigger and more engrossing it was than Freelancer. (Also not made by Microsoft - Bonus!)
So I bought a copy, and havn't looked back since. :D
The gameplay in X2 is so absorbing that the storyline comes second, rather than being the main reason for playing (like Freelancer). I can see myself playing this for a long time to come.


Asp - currently whacking pirates in Split sectors.
3 SSPs in Argon, Boron and Teladi space.
Just built my first crystal fab in Red light.

Can't wait for The Return!

Maranno
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed, 7. Jul 04, 16:17
x4

Post by Maranno » Thu, 21. Oct 04, 13:41

Mightysword wrote:So from what I gather, we want something like this:

- Action like Freelancer.
- Deep and strong game play like X2
- Tactical combat both on space and plantary like Imperium Galactica (which remind me you guys never mention this game :? )
- Super Empire builder like X2.


So...Do you think we will ever get a game that has all those element, I'll pay 100$ for it :lol:
darkmaster wrote:- More explorable space (not sectors, space within a sector!) in a more sparse environment (space stations, spaceships...)
- More realistic Flight Speed (Ehi, Wing commander ships travel at 30000 Km/s!!)
-More realistic Communication system (8.0 Km?!?! Less than a walkie talkie!! My CB transmits at over 200Km sometimes, and I'm not in the straight line of space...)
-Planet Interaction (landing, commerce, missions, NPC interaction...)
-Intersystem travel between planets and Sun)
-Cruise Speed (that doubles your speed but disables weapon systems...)
And so on... :)
This would make a nice game :D
Myo wrote: As I've said in loads of these arguments all over the place X2 AND FREELANCER ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAMES. Just because they both happen to be set in space does NOT mean that they are trying to out-do each other.

Freelancer is more for arcade style gaming with instant action.

X2 is more for strategy style gaming and only satisfying in the long term.

I personally own them both, and still play them both, as I founded and co-run a Freelancer clan and am a member of an X2 clan. IMHO its the communities which keep games going more than the game.
I fully have to agree with Myo here, I have both games and play both regularly, Freelancer when i don't have much time since you can jump into actions the minute you start the game.

I play X2 when I have more time to play, I think a which is better discussion cannot be held, since these games are, although based in similar surroundings, very different in gameplay.

Whichever you like best is based on the kind of game you like to play and how much time you are prepared to put into the game.
Those who cannot adapt become victims of Evolution.

User avatar
giskard
Posts: 5166
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31
xr

Post by giskard » Thu, 21. Oct 04, 20:59

Myo wrote:
Giskard, I see your point, but despite that fact there is a distinctive difference with game classification. Using the same argument, it could be said that Final Fantasy (actually an RPG), Flight Simulator (speaks for itself) or even Halo (FPS) are strategy games because you have a master plan (generally to 'complete the game').

Its an interesting argument, and I agree that there are SOME elements of strategy in Freelancer (as in any game), but I don't think one could honestly classify Freelancer is a strategy/space combat game.
I think the general rule people use is to take the most important aspect of a game and file it under that. I know I do. This is why flight sims are not considered shooters and why RPGs are not considered strategy games. Dispite the fact there is a little of each genre in them all.

If you look at the most popular games around today, they are not pure FPS or pure Strategy, they tend to be mix of several things with 1 thing dominating the entire game.

No big deal here, just an interesting observation about games in general.

Giskard
This signature has been stolen by the well known Teladi Signature Thief X Siggy.

User avatar
JungleJim
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri, 23. Jul 04, 23:41
x3

Post by JungleJim » Thu, 21. Oct 04, 23:58

I'd like to see some aspects of FreeSpace (& FS 2) into X2. Combat in fighter craft was excellent in those games.

I'd like some of the realism, universe size, sector variation, planet types, equipment options, etc. of VegaStrike too.

But X2 should definitely keep its economic models! I don't think they're perfect but they are orders of magnitude better than other games.

I'd like to see sine improvments in cap ship combat but don't have a handy game to compare it to (StarFleet Command??).

Be seeing you
Last edited by JungleJim on Fri, 22. Oct 04, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
Be seeing you,


Image

Myo
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue, 1. Jun 04, 20:08
x3

Post by Myo » Fri, 22. Oct 04, 01:09

Yeah, giskard, it is a strange curiousity of how games are merging concepts more.

Years ago, you'd get a shooter, like doom, and it'd be what it says it is, a shooter. Nowadays, you get a game like Freedom Fighters, which is a team AI-based shooter with strategy elements, having trouble taking an area because of the attack choppers? Head to another and destroy the helipads.

Anyway, moving back on topic, X2 has a perfect economic model, I agree. There are VERY few games with an interactive economy (although it does make it a little difficult to plan out strategies for building factories). But I really think planets should be more accessible as should stations. Ok, so the planets in FL are a little unrealistic in size? Big deal, the point is you can land on them. When I'm out flying in X2, I sometimes feel the urge to land on a station properly and go and look at the mission boards actually on the station, going to the equipment dealer and talking in person, rather than access them from my ship, it sorta feels kinda isolated to do everything remotely. A system like FL uses, but more expansive, with different places to go on stations and planets would be a massive improvement IMO, maybe for the sequel/expansion....
Image
My X2 Ship, Station and Equipment Calculation Table
X3 Ship, Station and Equipment Calculation Table Coming Soon!

User avatar
joebeard
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon, 9. Feb 04, 22:52
x3

Post by joebeard » Fri, 22. Oct 04, 01:32

giskard wrote:One thing that is worth remembering because it applies equally to mod makers as well as game developers is who ever makes a game or mods it does so with a specific plan in mind.

Any idea that comes along that fits in with that plan has a chance of becoming a feature. Any idea that does not fit into that plan has no chance at all.

So an idea must fit that plan to be acceptable and thus considered.

Lets face it, trade lanes where great for freelancer but they are just not a good X feature. Anybody that adds what he thinks is a good idea without considering the over all plan will end up with a royal mess of a game.

Giskard
I hear ya bro!

I played a lot of FL mods and some of them were simply aweful... There was one with loads of extra ships and stuff, yet all the weapons were (inexplicably) massively powerful, thus all the stats were wack too... :F
Image

pjknibbs
Posts: 28699
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31
x3tc

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 22. Oct 04, 08:32

darkmaster wrote: You forgot what the thread started for:
- More explorable space (not sectors, space within a sector!) in a more sparse environment (space stations, spaceships...)
- More realistic Flight Speed (Ehi, Wing commander ships travel at 30000 Km/s!!)
-More realistic Communication system (8.0 Km?!?! Less than a walkie talkie!! My CB transmits at over 200Km sometimes, and I'm not in the straight line of space...)
-Planet Interaction (landing, commerce, missions, NPC interaction...)
-Intersystem travel between planets and Sun)
-Cruise Speed (that doubles your speed but disables weapon systems...)
And so on... ;)
In other words, lift the flight and physics engine out of Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos. Apart from the planet interaction (which I have never, and will never, see the point of) it does all of the above.

darkmaster
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue, 28. Sep 04, 15:14
x2

Post by darkmaster » Fri, 22. Oct 04, 09:36

Myo wrote:. Ok, so the planets in FL are a little unrealistic in size?
And, personally, I don't notice. :)
From an altitude of 300 Km or more (wich We can aassume is the altitude of the landing gate of FL), a planet can look exactly in this way.
Note that in FL they always use a conventional Meas.Unit which is K.
They never said it's Kilometers. ;)

User avatar
giskard
Posts: 5166
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31
xr

Post by giskard » Fri, 22. Oct 04, 18:28

No Freelancer object was (typos) realistic.

The devs used a little artistic licience on everything so they would fit in the same space.

People complained about the planets being too small but lets fact it, if the planets and suns where full size youd need a week to fly around one.

Giskard
Last edited by giskard on Sat, 23. Oct 04, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
This signature has been stolen by the well known Teladi Signature Thief X Siggy.

Holliday
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun, 31. Aug 03, 17:57
x3

Post by Holliday » Fri, 22. Oct 04, 19:47

For the record, there is a cockpit view in Freelancer, so it isn't a third person game.
I play them both, I like them both.
Ne frustra vixisse videar

Mightysword
Posts: 2482
Joined: Wed, 10. Mar 04, 06:11
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 22. Oct 04, 21:36

giskard wrote:No Freelancer object was not a realisted.

The devs used a little artistic licience on everything so they would fit in the same space.

People complained about the planets being too small but lets fact it, if the planets and suns where full size youd need a week to fly around one.

Giskard
I won't say that unrealistic, because, we never know 300K is how fast right? The size of a ship and the size of the planet seems to be comparible. Also note that it's Sirus, not Earth. Maybe Planet is smaller over there. Remember Trent write in his log Mahattan is a huge city cover the entire planet, so that's mean the planet is not very big.

The only unrealistic is compare the size of a BattleShip and a fighter.

pjknibbs
Posts: 28699
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31
x3tc

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 23. Oct 04, 07:30

And you didn't find it remotely unrealistic that you often had four or five planets contained within the same few tens of thousands of kilometres of space, then?

Whiplash
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon, 25. Nov 02, 08:55
x3ap

Post by Whiplash » Sat, 23. Oct 04, 09:16

In Argon Prime, near the west gate, there are two planets (or a planet and a moon) that seem to be waaaaaay too close together. They are practically touching!

Nyax
Posts: 3503
Joined: Fri, 25. Jul 03, 15:32
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Sat, 23. Oct 04, 11:54

In Argon Prime, near the west gate, there are two planets (or a planet and a moon) that seem to be waaaaaay too close together. They are practically touching!

Code: Select all

 Ditto in Three worlds. Freelancers solar systems may not be any more accurate then X2s, but they are at least A) more fun to fly round in and B)Actually do feel like real solar systems

[quote]Apart from the planet interaction (which I have never, and will never, see the point of)[/quote] Then allow me to explain: When people think about exploring space they think about traveling far and wide to Alien WORLDS, not to the orbit of distant worlds to dock at space stations identical in every single way to the place they just left. Furthermore the planets are where most of the population of the X universe live, therefore that's where most of the opportunities for profit are to be had, not to mention where most of the people needing jobs doing are to be found.

Oh and thanks to the cutscenes they planets look vastly more interesting places then the space stations.

Post Reply

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”