X2 Vs Freelancer.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Post Reply
darkmaster
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue, 28. Sep 04, 15:14
x2

X2 Vs Freelancer.

Post by darkmaster » Sun, 17. Oct 04, 09:24

The winner is... X2 - The Threat!
But Freelancer got some good points in the match.

1) The populated area is not just an 80 by 80 km square, it's the whole star system, and you have to explore it fully to find space stations to do repairs, commerce and missions... (you can get even to the sun and fly around it, I don't recommend to fly INTO it... :D ). You can go from a planet to another and see the first one getting smaller and smaller, and the other getting Bigger and Bigger...

2) You can target planets (and Sun) and land and commerce on the surface (You can do all you usually do on stations, sometimes more). To be more precise, the game is centered on traveling from planet to planet (in a star system), and from star system to star system)

3) The Information system. Anything that can be targetted (and I'm referring especially to Planets and Suns) get Statistical Info (even Escape Velocity!!) and the descritpive one.

4) The Waypoint system, you can click on any point on universal starmap (well designed itself) and the nav computer will set the Optimal Course to that target in a sequence of waypoints).

These are the good points that in my opinion where missed in X2.
Overall it's better X2, I like a more Simulator style, and I don't want to count it's good points because you already know that.

I wanted to point out what is missing in X2 and that was not so hard to imagine in a Space simulator.

Bye!

Cobraking001
Posts: 625
Joined: Thu, 2. Sep 04, 23:53
x3

Post by Cobraking001 » Sun, 17. Oct 04, 10:19

right on there

freelancer rocks but x2 even more :)

Nyax
Posts: 3503
Joined: Fri, 25. Jul 03, 15:32
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Sun, 17. Oct 04, 10:23

In addition to the above-

Freelancer has a far superior universe, has a vastly superior plot and cutscenes, characters that aren't all massively annoying, creates a feeling of a universe that has more then one living person in it, has better music, actually has a strong exploration element, a vastly superior interface and is just a far more polished then X2 (unsurprising given Microsofts involvement)

X has a far greater depth of options, a Greater range of missions and better graphics. (although this is almost more of a downside given the frame rate problems many have, and the difficulty in seeing most stuff, thanks to realistic lighting)

User avatar
pixel
Posts: 1556
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31
x3tc

Re: X2 Vs Freelancer.

Post by pixel » Sun, 17. Oct 04, 10:31

darkmaster wrote: But Freelancer got some good points in the match.

You can go from a planet to another and see the first one getting smaller and smaller, and the other getting Bigger and Bigger...

you can do that in X2 too, just get a fast ship and use SETA. Actually sitting between planets in X2 is quite a cool experience. 8)

The distances involved in X2 for planets are vast, unlike Freelancer where an entire planet is about 2 miles across. :)
Last edited by pixel on Sun, 17. Oct 04, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.
"I find your lack of belief in the Three Dimensionality disturbing." Mercenary

"So getting this chick back is more than just getting a chick back. It's the concrete manifestation of an abstract policy goal. And we like concrete - right, Vic?"

Red wine...the only way to frag

darkmaster
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue, 28. Sep 04, 15:14
x2

Post by darkmaster » Sun, 17. Oct 04, 11:16

A good point for X2.
Then my questions is: why they didn't make faster ships (more space like, I remind you that in real space ships move very fast, and in space fiction spaceships move at 7-8000 Km/s without any kind of problem... ;) ) and took advantage from this huge spaces.
The grafic involved is the same, so the game won't run slower (maybe faster, since not all space stations would be drawed at the same time, with great relief of our FramesPS ;) ).

Rapier
Posts: 5774
Joined: Mon, 11. Nov 02, 11:57
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Sun, 17. Oct 04, 11:25

Ahh, the old X2 versus Freelancer debate. And this is the place to have it 'cos your posts get deleted if you try it on the Lancer's Reactor. Still, we gained a lot of converts from people who weren't satisfied with Freelancer. I myself thoroughly enjoyed it for a month in single player, and maybe a couple more multiplayer. I'm sure Freelancer sold more units, but I reckon X2 matches it in terms of the total numbers of hours the game actually gets played.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Nyax
Posts: 3503
Joined: Fri, 25. Jul 03, 15:32
x3tc

Re: X2 Vs Freelancer.

Post by Nyax » Sun, 17. Oct 04, 11:39

pixel wrote:
darkmaster wrote: But Freelancer got some good points in the match.

You can go from a planet to another and see the first one getting smaller and smaller, and the other getting Bigger and Bigger...

you can do that in X2 too, just get a fast ship and use SETA. Actually sitting between planets in X2 is quite a cool experience.
8)
The distances involved in X2 for planets are vast, unlike Freelancer where an entire planet is about 2 miles across. :)
I hate to break it to you but the planet sizes and distances in X are far from accurate. Obviously Freelancer has taken a little bit of artistic license with the sizes of planets/ stars/ systems (the planets are larger then the stars in most cases) but that's also fairly obviously just because the sizes of the ships/ stations/ planets etc have been resized for the purposes of improving the gameplay. That doesn't detract from the Freelancers feeling of flying from one side of a solar system to the other, whereas xs tiny sectors feel more like flying from one side of a car park to the other... Yes you can fly off the gate grid, but there's no point in doing so because 134 times out of 138, there's absolutelutely nothing to do out there, and nothing to find. (Oh and it's also boring as hell in anything slower then an M5.)

User avatar
pixel
Posts: 1556
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31
x3tc

Re: X2 Vs Freelancer.

Post by pixel » Sun, 17. Oct 04, 11:49

Nyax wrote:
pixel wrote:
darkmaster wrote: But Freelancer got some good points in the match.

You can go from a planet to another and see the first one getting smaller and smaller, and the other getting Bigger and Bigger...

you can do that in X2 too, just get a fast ship and use SETA. Actually sitting between planets in X2 is quite a cool experience.
8)
The distances involved in X2 for planets are vast, unlike Freelancer where an entire planet is about 2 miles across. :)
I hate to break it to you but the planet sizes and distances in X are far from accurate. Obviously Freelancer has taken a little bit of artistic license with the sizes of planets/ stars/ systems (the planets are larger then the stars in most cases) but that's also fairly obviously just because the sizes of the ships/ stations/ planets etc have been resized for the purposes of improving the gameplay. That doesn't detract from the Freelancers feeling of flying from one side of a solar system to the other, whereas xs tiny sectors feel more like flying from one side of a car park to the other... Yes you can fly off the gate grid, but there's no point in doing so because 134 times out of 138, there's absolutelutely nothing to do out there, and nothing to find. (Oh and it's also boring as hell in anything slower then an M5.)
I never said it was realistic, it's a game for heaven's sake :roll:

I personally think that the vastness of the X2 physics makes for a more inspiring experience than the arcade game Freelancer.

Note: I enjoy Freelancer, still play it now and again.
"I find your lack of belief in the Three Dimensionality disturbing." Mercenary

"So getting this chick back is more than just getting a chick back. It's the concrete manifestation of an abstract policy goal. And we like concrete - right, Vic?"

Red wine...the only way to frag

spence336
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun, 3. Oct 04, 21:48
x2

Post by spence336 » Sun, 17. Oct 04, 12:02

yeh but in freelancer all the ships have a max speed of 79mps or wateva meaning there not much point buying a fight when you could buy a freighter and have a stronger ship that goes just as fast
ships;
1 teladi osprey 5 pirate ships
1 paranid nemesis 1 argon nova
1 argon centaur 1 argon discoverer
1 split mamba 1 boron barracuda
1 split scorpoin 1 boron manta
2 paranid pegasus' 2 boron dolphins

Danno
Posts: 324
Joined: Sun, 21. Mar 04, 05:51
x3

Post by Danno » Sun, 17. Oct 04, 13:14

The "equality" of speed between ships was one of Freelancer's drawbacks. A lot of people were unhappy about it, but what can you do? Microsoft, unlike Egosoft, is not the kind of company to care much about what improvements the fans would like to see.

Just look at the influence they have in the "Lancer's Reactor" forums. Your threads are automatically locked if they are even the least critical of the game. Anyone with common sense enough to see the game's shortcomings quits posting when they get tired of biting their tongue, which leaves only the fanboy's. Arghh, don't get me going! :rant:

They're both good games though, and I'd love to see a project from someone that combined the best aspects of both.

Going back just a little, "Tachyon" was a good game as well.

Horris
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue, 2. Mar 04, 11:57
x2

Post by Horris » Sun, 17. Oct 04, 14:28

I have both.

X2 has more depth, longer lasting.

Freelancer has better fights, more action. Multiplayer

If X2 and freelancer merged? So you could go into "fight" mode like freelancer, but trade like X2?

This debate doesnt go away does it lol

James_2k
Posts: 1645
Joined: Fri, 20. Feb 04, 16:09
x3

Re: X2 Vs Freelancer.

Post by James_2k » Sun, 17. Oct 04, 15:01

Nyax wrote: I hate to break it to you but the planet sizes and distances in X are far from accurate.
oh so you've been to Argon Prime recently have you?

duriel
Posts: 882
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31
x3tc

Post by duriel » Sun, 17. Oct 04, 15:03

I accept all the points made about freelancer. For alot of people it was a great game.

I on the other hand played it for 2 days and then stopped as i thought it was crap. I hated the fighting method and suign the mouse to direct the ship. I hated the lack of missions. I hated the fact that i had to unlock areas by doing missions and coulnd just roam around the map on my own. I hated the fact that i had to fight every couple of minutes even when i wanted to be a trader.

I accept that there was alot more to explore (this has been mentioned on Devnet so i'd wait and see in the expansion as to whether this has been changed in X2)

Both games have good points and bad points.

The thing to remember is that they are 2 completely differant games that are both set in space. They do differant things and are meant to. To compare them to each other too much is wrong in my opinion.

Neil

Subjugation
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat, 14. Feb 04, 17:47
x2

Post by Subjugation » Sun, 17. Oct 04, 15:04

IMO, the unrealistic radio chatter in Freelancer gave the universe a lot of feeling of life, like stuff was actually going on - and being able to hail ships properly was great. To be quite honest in terms of 'feeling of life' Freelancer is a few points above X2, but in terms of raw depth and things to do, X2 wins by miles.

James_2k
Posts: 1645
Joined: Fri, 20. Feb 04, 16:09
x3

Post by James_2k » Sun, 17. Oct 04, 15:06

Commander_Crawlius wrote:IMO, the unrealistic radio chatter in Freelancer gave the universe a lot of feeling of life, like stuff was actually going on - and being able to hail ships properly was great. To be quite honest in terms of 'feeling of life' Freelancer is a few points above X2, but in terms of raw depth and things to do, X2 wins by miles.

Post Reply

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”